back to article 'I urge everyone to fight back' – woman wins $10k from Microsoft over Windows 10 misery

A California woman has won $10,000 from Microsoft after a sneaky Windows 10 update wrecked the computer she used to run her business. Now she's urging everyone to follow suit and "fight back." Teri Goldstein – who manages a travel agency in Sausalito, just north of San Francisco – told The Register she landed the compensation …

Microsoft still lists KB3035583 as a critical update.

@ Nameless Faceless Computer User

I don't know which Windows Update you are using, but the version I use lists KB3035583 as a "recommended" update, not a "critical" update.

As far as I know, the list of updates to avoid for Windows 7 users is as follows:

KB971033 - Update to Windows Activation Technologies. Listed as Important.

KB2952664 - Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7. Listed as Recommended

KB2990214 - Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows. Listed as Recommended.

KB3035583 - Update installs get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1. Listed as Recommended.

KB3068708 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry. Listed as Recommended.

KB3075249 - Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. Listed as Recommended.

KB3080149 - Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry. Listed as Recommended.

I have also seen KB3102429 mentioned as an update to avoid. A check of the KnowledgeBase says that it is an: Update for central Asian currencies. WTF?

Since my need for (or my customers need for) any thing to do with central Asian currencies is vanishingly small, I avoid it also.

As a matter of fact, there are very few of the "Recommended" updates that I bother to install.

I welcome any advice or commentary that will help improve this list of undesirable updates, and I hope that others will find it useful.

Anonymous Coward

"After hours and hours of support desk calls, her computer remained in a barely usable state: three technicians uninstalled and reinstalled the operating system software to no avail. It was a complete waste of time."

Hmm - three "technicians" reinstalled the OS and they still couldn't get it working. They weren't very good then were they!! I guarantee I would have fixed it. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was some underlying problem with the hardware that tripped up Win 10 and didn't affect Win 7. I've seen that first hand with faulty or mis-configured RAM chips.

And in any case, since when has it been good business practice to run a business reliant solely on one PC with no backups! If I'd have been MS, Id have told this lady where to stick her complaints!!

Before you go all "I'm tech savvy ergo awesome," please source your data a little more. A quick google shows that she did pay to have someone do all the required odds and ends for business work, such as backups, app installs and so on, though it may have just been the folks at the Geek Squad desk who likewise, couldn't help restore it. From the perspective of the average non-technical home business owner, she did her due diligence and that still wasn't enough to save the system nor get everything lost within the time frame (including cancelled sales) back. Honestly, I commend her for her note-taking and desire to get everything resolved through proper channels as a decent person before having to resort to any sort of civil action. Admittedly, MS sent a guy from the local store to represent them which did not help them in the action but given their treatment of her, seems par for course of her experience.

Silver badge
WTF?

Another M$ shill

"And in any case, since when has it been good business practice to run a business reliant solely on one PC with no backups! If I'd have been MS, Id have told this lady where to stick her complaints!!"

The way she runs her business is not in question, so could run it any way she wanted. That part is under her control. If it sinks her then that is lesson she learns. Having your computer hacked to bits by an outside company with no benefit to her is not her fault. Millions have tried and failed to say no to M$, but they just refuse to listen. I hope M$ goes bankrupt or is bounced back to a small firm because of this. Bring on the lawsuits!!

Silver badge

"And in any case, since when has it been good business practice to run a business reliant solely on one PC with no backups! If I'd have been MS, Id have told this lady where to stick her complaints!!" shows you are an idiot who never worked in very small company whose part-time IT department was the most computer literate of an illiterate bunch. Most small businesses are not run by geeks but by people who are using a computer to as a tool.

Silver badge

Good for her

$150 in compensation is a joke, the upgrade (consented to or not) should not have left her machine in such a state.

"Microsoft appealed the decision but dropped this action last month. A spokeswoman for the Windows maker told us what it also told the Seattle Times last week: Microsoft "dropped its appeal to avoid the expense of further litigation.""

More like you knew you couldn't win so you gave her the money and hoped there wouldn't be any bad publicity.

Bronze badge

let's hope this is the one that kills microsoft

I for one am sick of the last 30-odd years of microsoft peddling shitty broken software to the public. And the arrogance is extreme! I fixed a computer earlier this week by cloning the hard disk and it's telling me I have non-genuine software on it now. OK, so all I need to do it activate it again, but it's a pain-point and it's indicative of an arrogant self-absorbed company. What makes them think people want to (illegally) copy their bollocks software anyway?

It's not like Windows 10 is too bad in and of itself, but it's the upgrade process that's often broken, and the (yet again) sheer arrogance of the company installing an upgrade that has the potential to break things.

So I am hoping that so many people are going to claim damages from this company that it kills it off, or at least it becomes a shadow of its former self.

Anonymous Coward

Auto updates are such a wonderful thing in the magical current year of The Cloud

...said no one ever.

It is time to take a stand and wrest back rights decimated by the abusive practices of tech companies. Even in the gaming industry, you have price-gouging DLCs and deliberate omission of gaming via LAN.

This is not 'capitalism'. This is scummy behaviour, plain and simple.

Silver badge

Re: Auto updates are such a wonderful thing in the magical current year of The Cloud

"It is time to take a stand and wrest back rights decimated by the abusive practices of tech companies. Even in the gaming industry, you have price-gouging DLCs and deliberate omission of gaming via LAN.

This is not 'capitalism'. This is scummy behaviour, plain and simple."

No, it's capitalism. What's wrong is that the average person is not smart enough to play the game, and the sellers can take advantage. Not much you can do about that since You Can't Fix Stupid.

Silver badge

Thing is...

...had she called me or any other local IT guy we'd have fixed it in a couple of hours and for around £80.

At worst I could have copied off her user data and rebuilt it from scratch in less than two hours.

Why would anyone call Microsoft? That's like calling Ford's HQ in the USA if your Fiesta has a knocking noise.

I know because I've made a lot of money the past 8 months or so sorting out Windows 10 issues.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Thing is...

If a Ford mechanic came round and 'upgraded' her Fiesta's engine behind her back and it knocked then who would you call? You muppet. M$ broke her property without invitation. I guess she should have called the police.

@ jason 7

"rebuilt it from scratch in less than two hours."

Thanks for the laugh Jason, your claim is easily the second funniest thing I have seen this week.

After this.

Silver badge

Whats so funny? If they have a USB3 and SSD I can do it in less than 20 minutes.

This stuff aint difficult.

Or are you seeing it all from the Enterprise IT dept rather than the grass roots support side?

Anonymous Coward

And if you CAN'T boot from USB because it has Secure Boot, it's locked, and the OS you need to unlock it is kaput?

Silver badge

Most machines use secure boot and I haven't had an issue with it yet. I think you might be another that doesn't actually understand Secure boot.

Windows

And yet they keep using Micro$oft shit

Stocoholm Syndrom perhaps?

Anonymous Coward

It's spyware.

Windows 10 is nothing but spyware. Microsoft is one of the worst companies around.

Windows 10 is as much secure as Windows 7 is since you can't see the source code to verify anything it could just be scrambled Windows 7 code so some things don't work and all we have is Microsoft's word which "really" matters.

If you want a secure os go look up Qubes OS .

Instead of really fixing security Microsoft releases the same crap every year with a different color and a name change, their security consists of non stop antivirus scanners, obfuscated code and marketing, every new version is the same crap, except now not as before they gave themselves power to collect everything on your computer at they're discretion in the Windows 10 eula.You have nothing to hide do you so you wouldn't mind when Microsoft performs cavity search on you, it's for your own good really Microsoft know better then you what you need, just shut up and take it.

And a little Microsoft history.

Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson the presiding judge in the United States v. Microsoft 90's case said that Microsoft executives had, according to him, "proved, time and time again, to be inaccurate, misleading, evasive, and transparently false. ... Microsoft is a company with an institutional disdain for both the truth and for rules of law that lesser entities must respect. It is also a company whose senior management is not averse to offering specious testimony to support spurious defenses to claims of its wrongdoing."

The only way this will end is when we will have open source hardware with GNU General Public License (GNU GPL or GPL), then we will be able to trust our hardware and os have real security, and they will not be able to force spyware on us, that is the only way, the rest are just words with no value.

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." Nelson Mandela

Silver badge

Re: It's spyware.

"If you want a secure os go look up Qubes OS ."

Unless you wanna play Fallout 4 as well. Then it's Windows or Bust.

MJI
Silver badge

Fallout 4

I will be getting later this year and will be playing it on a fork of BSD

Silver badge

Re: Fallout 4

How without a VM (which means you have Windows anyway, besides I wouldn't bank on its performance as it's VERY demanding)? Last I checked, Bethesda swore off Linux and the like saying it was too scattered an environment?

MJI
Silver badge

Same way I play Destiny in a BSD environment, or most recently Uncharted 4

Yes Sony use a version of BSD for their console.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software

So LOTS of games run in a Unix type environment, and no sign of Windows anywhere near it.

Common Core uses Bill and Melinda Gates' falsehoods and conniving to ruin the education of millians of American schoolchildren. Additionally, this sets up a data mountain whereby your government will know everyting about us.

Silver badge

But that's a console. I'm talking on an actual PC that normally uses keyboard and mouse inputs and can let you use GPUs miles ahead of the stuff used in the PS4 or Xbox One. Plus last I checked there are plenty of games that are PC-only.

MJI
Silver badge

The point is games are written for non Windows OSes so you do not need it.

Bronze badge
Headmaster

"Common Core uses Bill and Melinda Gates' falsehoods and conniving to ruin the education of millians of American schoolchildren"

Quite so. :)

Silver badge

A non-Windows PC OS. At this point, getting a non-Windows version of Fallout 4 requires plunking down for a console when I have a PC that can run laps around it. Not to mention all the other hardware and switchery needed to switch between them. Why bother when I can use my existing computer to play Fallout 4 better than any console?

Yep, me too

No doubt one of tens of thousands - Dell laptop, forced upgrade, Dell doorstop.

The tech I took it to to fix the mess said that the Dell (out of the box standard) appeared to be missing a driver that Windows 10 expected to be there. This was after the forced update told me the laptop was ready for Windows 10.

NO IT WASN'T.

Result? I doorstop and one, new, Windows 10 pre-loaded Dell laptop. A win for Microsoft, an associated win for Dell (I hope they are blameless - won't be happy if I hear that they're not) and one very pissed off customer.

This, combined with a great Windows 8 phone (love it) backed up by almost ZERO apps available, means I'm thinking of moving my loyalty. Are we seeing the suicide of Microsoft by stupidity?

Windows 10 is a virus

Windows 10 is nothing more than an advertising system and one in which if installing software that is not Microsoft it becomes difficult and sometime it’s partly uninstalled rendering is unusable. I am not one bit surprised to read how it can screw up a business. I bought a new laptop with windows 10 preinstalled. I tried to install my software from my other laptop with good old win 7 but the Windows 10 crashed with the BLACK screen of death. It sent away for repair in March 2016 and returned in 6 June 2016. Now the machine crashed and crashed to a point where it was necessary to reinstall Windows. This took over 24 hours to complete. I am on Satellite Internet with a quota of 10Gb/month. To my sheer surprise within three days the entire quota had gone. Windows 10 is not good for anyone who has a download quota. Removing all advertisements and the unwanted Microsoft programs and anything else that allowed Microsoft to infiltrate my privacy was removed, well I though this had been done but the machine refused to shut down, I could point with the mouse but could not select anything. This Windows 10 is FREE and there is no such thing as a free dinner. If you want to keep your computing private then DON’T USE WINDOWS 10 and don’t sign into Cortina and the others.

Win10 forceware

" Windows 10 update wrecked the computer she used to run her **business** "

" This update caused the Windows 7 **Home Premium** PC to crash "

I'm surprised MS didn't contest the case on the basis that the End-User was in breach of the software license conditions.

What is the internet for??????????

Am I alone here? The first time I was nearly caught out with a Windows 10 attack I jumped on the internet and found programs to run in the background that cleaned all the 10 crap and kept watch for any attempted intrusions - never had an attack since.

EASY

Would rather have collected 10k cash if I could take the hastle!!!

Anonymous Coward

Re: What is the internet for??????????

" I jumped on the internet and found programs to run in the background that cleaned all the 10 crap and kept watch for any attempted intrusions"

You do know that you are just the dream user for anyone that would like to hijack your PC?

Your self-congratulatory actions are unsafe, and the lady in the article is far more sensible.

"What is the internet for??????????"

It's for a lot of things. But I don't recommend jumping on offers to download programs to "fix" your Windows issues..

All this could be avoided easily if people used some of the Linux distros instead of Windows. Linux updates so easily. It's really a "plug and play" OS. Depending on the distro and desktop environment, of course. I have good experiences with Debian Mate.

Silver badge

" It's really a "plug and play" OS."

More like "plug and pray." I cannot count the number of times I've had linux installs fail to install, crash and panic for no apparent reason, or simply not see the hardware I have. And it's not like I'm using ultra-obscure hardware, either. Just a pretty recent AMD GPU (you can't plug and play a modern GPU and get full support without non-free drivers; that's a fact because both AMD and nVidia protect their trade secrets), several modems, and any number of USB scanners. And I was using a pre-Unity Ubuntu, too.

Silver badge

More like "plug and pray." I cannot count the number of times I've had linux installs fail to install, crash and panic for no apparent reason...

User error? Or are you recalling Linux distros long lost in the mists of time? There might be a few here using a pre-Unity Ubuntu, but most appear to be using much more recent distros.

Silver badge

Unity only came a few years ago, and I don't recall Windows spontaneously rebooting on a media player, yet mplayer did it all the time for me. Or you go to sleep and wake up and find it rebooted on you: not a good thing when you had it doing an overnight job. Let's not even get started on the whole "Winmodem" and "Broadcom Bluetooth Adapter" business.

Silver badge

Unity only came a few years ago, and I don't recall Windows spontaneously rebooting on a media player, yet mplayer did it all the time for me.

I seem to recall replacing w7 with Ubuntu and Unity on an HP netbook back in 2010. W7 kept locking up and needed to pull the battery to restart. Never had a problem with Ubuntu/Unity. Funny thing, I'd purchased the netbook for a trip to Melbourne. Everywhere I went, there were huge advertising screens and they were obviously WinXP. Ever so many were displaying the BSOD. So it goes...

I use Banshee for video playing and Audacious for music, so can't comment on mplayer. Both work very well and no spontaneous reboots on any of several machines running Cinnamon Mint 17.x, most for 12 months now.

Linux

I was luckier

Little son's computer was the last box in the house still running Windows-7.

One day, before Microsoft started their auto-updates, the disk died. I didn't realize it at the time, but that turned out to be a fortunate event.

Rather than reinstall Windows-7, I replaced the hard drive and initialized it with Trusty (14.04, Ubuntu) .

Saved him from the Windows-10 upgrade and he seems very happy. I feel safer too.

i am having the same problem....windows 10 erased a lot of my files and took away a lot of things i used. i have contacted them numerous times and they failed to fix my computer and even made it worse. i told them that i wanted my factory reset back on there and they kept trying to sell me stuff that i don't even need or use i kept telling them that they need to take windows 10 off and put my computer back to the way it was. instead, they erased even more stuff. wth....is there a class action lawsuit against them on putting windows 10 on here without my permission.

Silver badge

It most definately should not erase your files.

Get someone IT skilled in to have a look, before rushing to a conclusion and making things worse!

Or ask here for more advice!

Regards

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017