back to article Trump's new thought bubble: Make Apple manufacture in the USA

US Presidential wannabe Donald Trump has once again waded into matters technological, this time sketching an industry policy that would heavily tax US companies that don't manufacture on US soil. Trump went on to single out Apple, saying that “we're gonna get Apple to start building their damn computers and things in this …

Anonymous Coward

Well, with Trump as a local..

.. the US has at least no need to outsource the manufacturing of bullshit. The country is positively awash with it.

Anonymous Coward

We hear about Trump all the time, how about someone with an actual plan:

https://berniesanders.com/issues/creating-jobs-rebuilding-america/

https://berniesanders.com/the-sanders-corporate-tax-reform-plan/

Below may not be Bernie Sanders stance, but I expect I am far more pessimistic than he is and this is how I see things.

Too Big to Fail Corps need to reeled in. If they won't play fair then Nations need to take over that infrastructure and run themselves. The whole system is a house of cards that appears near ready to collapse. It is well past time Nations started requiring jobs and taxes from Globo Corps that take income from them.

Silver badge

BTW

Who would have thought that Trump is a protectionist leftie?

Pretty darn red in his views.

I look forward to his five year plan.

Will he ban industrial robots, since they take the jobs of workers? Especially foreign made such robots.

Silver badge

Re: BTW

don't forget those 'self driving cars'. gotta think if all those drivers who will be out of a job.

Sheesh.

Silver badge

"Who would have thought that Trump is a protectionist leftie?"

I wouldn't. Protectionism is nationalist policy, not left-wing. It's also a policy that would be dumped milliseconds after Trump was elected because he wants to expand his business abroad. The Left is internationalist, and though Marx's Labour Theory of Value is not very good economics, it tends to suggest that the left wing approach would be to only permit the import of goods from countries that pay the workers as well as your own are paid. Yes, China, sell us as many iPhones as you like when your workforce gets a First World living standard.

(I know it is economically impractical and in fact impossible).

Silver badge

Obviously real theoretical Marxist communism is not nationalistic. But all actual implementation have been most nationalistic in practice. Some even called it so.

Will Trump also be moving the manufacture of his ties and other clothing lines to the US? There's a few interviews now, starting with one with Letterman, where it's been pointed out he's manufacturing a lot of his products in China and Mexico

Anonymous Coward

where does he get his hair manufactured?

Silver badge

HAirdrie, Strathclyde. welded from girders.

Anonymous Coward

ahhhh I thought it was Axminster carpets

Silver badge

His hair is actually 100% home made. And you can tell.

Forget the hair

Quit it on the hair already. The _only_ relevance that has is, considering the wispy growth is probably implants, he has had vain surgical procedures. He can be ridiculed on that, but there has been plenty of that already.

It's easy to attack Trump on serious issues, and that's where the focus should be.They way things are going, he can justly complain that people criticize him for meaningless nonsense.

Anonymous Coward

He's Negging

"America is a poor nation... nobody respects us.....we can't defeat ISIS,....we're for sale on the cheap....America has fat hips....nobody will date her"!

It sounds like negging, the trick of insulting a woman to lower her expectations so she will lower her standards. And you can see the Liberty uni lot lapping it up! Negging works folks, whether its a man with nothing to offer a woman, or a man with nothing to offer a country!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_wealth

US is the number #1 wealthy country. The reason it has no employment is because that wealth is tied up in the top 1% as unproductive monetary assets invested abroad. If you move money down into the middle classes, then it will be used to open shops and factories.

They can't move property offshore, but they can sell it to an offshore holding company, which is why land is turned into a money asset that can be shipped offshore driving up the property prices. (i.e. Trumps money source).

Is the plan to defeat ISIS? I thought the plan was to arm the Syrian Rebels, and use ISIS as cover. Then Russia got involved, started *also* bombing ISIS, while really bombing the rebels. So now we're bombing ISIS, Russia is bombing the rebels, so that Assad will win. And we're so wrapped in our bullshit lies that we keep on this path but only half heartedly. At the end 'chemical weapons' Assad ends up in power, the man whose atrocities created the extremism! Putin will be laughing I guess.

Take a look at where most of the red (Russian) air strikes are:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35162523

Trump? He seems to have a very thin understanding of this, and combing over the issue won't fix it.

But hey, nuanced understandings of complex situations don't win elections!..... You fat ugly slag America!

Thats the first sensible thing Ive heard him say! What a blinder - mate you are mustard.... think of all those little kids in Bangka Islands tin mine you will save. While you are at it - take back all those smug idiots in their stores all over the world.....

Silver badge

Hey, Trump ...

Your own daughter was built in a communist, Eastern European factory ;-)

Trump's a chump. I'd happily take a dump on him on national TV.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Hey, Trump ...Hey Jake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo

Silver badge

Re: Hey, Trump ...Hey Jake

Nice rant, Dan... except that Jake is 'Merikin.... lives out on a ranch somewhere in northernish CA.

It's not as crazy as it sounds

After reading the headline I thought WTF is he on about now but if you look at the root cause of the problem with companies making billions and not paying tax it comes down to companies shifting their operations around. Why not reduce tax for companies that are based in, and operate in the country. If you're based outside the country and have the bulk of your operations outside the country then you should pay a higher rate of tax. It comes down to what the tax is used for, the higher the rate of employment the smaller the state and therefor the smaller the tax income required, the more people out of work (because a company is mainly based outside the country) the larger the state and more tax is required. It would remove the ability to escape tax by moving your business off shore as to do so would mean you incur larger taxes, unless of course you choose not to sell in that country at all, which just creates room for another company to move in.

Facepalm

Re: It's not as crazy as it sounds

China protects its markets and currency vigorously but Register readers ignore that and signal their virtue instead.

It certainly is a very good idea but someone else needs to say it apparently.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not as crazy as it sounds

protectionism isn't good for everybody. China has the advantage of controlling its own people and economy very tightly they can "get a way with" doing a lot of stuff that democracies couldn't do, but chances are chickens will come home to roost one day

Have the Republicans just finallly given up?

I mean with all their candidates as they are, it must be just a reality show called 'Last Clown Standing'?

The comedy value is incredible.

I still reckon Trump is just filming some secret documentary on the while thing and will drop out a day before he has to fully commit.

Silver badge

Hang on Mr Trump...

Does the USA even have the manufacturing capability for Apple to just up sticks and move their entire manufacturing process to america?

Do they even have large scale microchip fabrication facilities over there? Are the hard drives made in America? Will Apple be able to source screens from an American manufacturer?

Will Mr Trump be paying for all this himself?

Re: Hang on Mr Trump...

Hey! We can make a bad toupee!

Silver badge
Holmes

Dear Donald,

Comparative advantage.

David Ricardo came up with that little concept in 1817 to explain why countries engaged in cross-border trade even if one was better at everything than another.

I know you're going to "Make America Great Again", but you're not going to do it by forcing American companies to become less efficient and distorting the efficient allocation of resources.

So Trump's master plan...

...is to turn the USA into the new North Korea?

Re: So Trump's master plan...

North Korea makes iPhones?

I like Americans. They're funny...

Anonymous Coward

Difference (joke)

What's the difference between the brain of an ant and the brain of DT?

Silver badge

The Candidate

Back in the stone age, Robert Redford starred as a candidate. At the beginning of the campaign, RR worried about how he would act afterwards. His campaign manager gave him a 'guarantee'. It was a piece of paper which said "You lose".

That's the deal with Trump. He isn't going to win, so he can say whatever the hell he wants. His audiences don't care, either - they'll cheer anything that sounds dramatic and unorthodox ('telling it like it is').

Of course, in The Candidate, RR's character actually won - and didn't know what to do next.

Re: The Candidate

I never thought of Republicans as stand up comics until they started trying to put Trump in office.

Anonymous Coward

They'll just move offshore, when they fially run out of countries to dodge paying tax in, Tim Tessier-Ashpool Cook will move them into orbit.

Silver badge

TheRump's plan to "make America great again"...

"One idea to do so is a mooted 35 per cent tax on companies that choose to manufacture offshore."

And would this be including the makers of the made-in-China Donald J. Trump men's clothing line...?

made in america

the fact of the matter is Apple did manufacture all it's products in the US. I am not 100% sure but i believe Steve Jobs was the one that started moving all manufacturing over to China.

Silver badge
Happy

Oh dear

Some Americans on this thread should start to listen to Bernie Sanders on how the richest country in the world is so upset when some twats dear ask for a living wage starting as high as 15$ an hour, madness. complete madness. Think about the poor Walton family who only have as much wealth as the lazy 130 million bottom dwellers. Oh dear, what would happen to the poor family, they would no doubt be forced to move their business to China and take all the jobs with them.

Please Americans don't fool yourself. "where to invade next" by Michael Moore has some hints too.

Oh dear.

On dinosaurs and other odd animals

Why on earth are we still paying attention to this old trumpet?

I mean, having absolutely no technology literacy, no idea on productive process, and no clue on how things work should be enough evidence for everyone to just walk away.

Good luck Apple producing micro components in the USA:

1) Try to get China to export enough prime materials (Neodymium, anyone?) to keep the pace of actual production.

2) Try to have americans work at the same wage of chineses and still be able to live the american dream.

3) Apple stuff is already IExpensive, wonder how big the loan would be to buy a laptop fully made in America!:)

His words are so offensive to common sense to be beyond ridiculous.

Cheers!

Alessio

Silver badge

The comedy goes on.

Sarah Palin is backing the Trumpet. She who though Africa was a country. Yes really.

Silver badge

@anonymous boring coward

"Sarah Palin is backing the Trumpet"

Did you catch the press conference announcing this? Trump the Chump's shoulders were slumping, as if he had already lost ... and the grimace on his face reminded me of the look on my Great-Aunt's face the last time her husband farted, loudly, at a major family function.

Surreal, really.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: @anonymous boring coward

@jake "Sarah Palin is backing the Trumpet". Yes I had a look at it too but I just wasn't able to take it for more than about 2min when I realized she would go on and on. What was fairly obvious was that TA hasn't got much of a poker face unless he is at the "helm" himself. But while money doesn't smell nor do votes.

However, some time ago I had a look, on Youtube, at a discussion about evolution and our brains. The boffin was asked if our brains are all similar. So how did he respond. "On this side we have brains like Einstein's and on the other side we have Sarah Palin's" using his left and right arm. The audience got it, no doubt about that.

But when I have read all these comments. including my own, and I think, and believe, there is some sound combination of sarcasm and attempts towards humour in most the comments, it's also obvious that a reader might find the same comments ill spirited and rude. Especially when we write about topics like politics and religion.

The fart, however, compared to both Palin and Trump, is more rewarding, interesting and normal.

Years ago I took my old father home from a good dinner with the appropriate amount of brandy, top floor. In the crowded elevator down, he had to let it out, loud and clear with all possible spices. Oh my deity that was terrific, the damn elevator become the slowest moving object in the universe. I felt so damned embarrassed, but then I looked at his face and I realized there was still some guts left in him, he was silently smiling. We get softer when getting older, and so is that damn multipurpose muscle down there controlling important output. Intelligent design, not.

In a situation like that, what you do is to turn your head and shout "who did that". Works every time, I do it all the time given an opportunity. Escalators are rather rubbish, better down than up then, however.

And as they say, people need people, farting alone is a wast of joy.

What, this was about Apple.

Silver badge

Re: @anonymous boring coward

No, I didn't see the actual video. I knew I couldn't take it.

I tried just now, but after Palin came on, I had to stop it within about 5 seconds.

I just don't have the cringe-resistance required for that sort of thing.

Sorry.

Mac Pro is made in the USA

Apple brought back manufacturing of the Mac Pro to the US in 2013. It took them some time to set up the supply chain and they chose a low volume, expensive product to make this happen.

Don't his line of suits get made in sweatshops in Bangladesh & China?

Silver badge
Unhappy

Perhaps Trump can't / doesn't read newspapers

Apple announced on 2013 November that its newest US manufacturing facility is slated to be built in Mesa, Arizona. Apple aims to create thousands of jobs and run the facility on 100 percent renewable energy.

According to Arizona's governor's office, the facility will employ 700 people and will create 1,300 construction and management jobs.

People...

Trump is a narcissistic fuckwit - by giving him publicity, you are feeding the monster.

Stop it.

NOW.

This post has been deleted by its author

TRT
Silver badge

Definition of a palindrome...

a word, phrase or sentence that reads the same backwards as forwards.

Whereas a Palin-drome is just backwards.

And the Devil said; "Who needs the Anti-Christ when I have Trump?" He'll get us WW III in no time!

Oh wow! Just think of all the uneducated Americans this would put to work at maybe $1/hour... Oh, wait, isn't there something about a minimum wage in the USA!? And what about all the unemployed union members that might want $50-75/hour to do this!?

Oh well, let's just let the Chinese, etc. do it!

Higher paying service jobs?

Surely the highest paying jobs were in manufacturing in the good old days of secure employment and when a pension plan didn't mean it would be stolen from you in retirement. And the financial services plan for the UK concentrated the highest paying jobs into the SE and beggared the rest of the UK. Oh, and the higher amounts of renumeration went offshore and untaxed leading to the ludicrous situation of the govt begging for jobs and giving away the tax they do get from the lowest paid zero hour contract slaves of the "service" industry. And they can't apparently afford to get the tax the large companies actually show they owe. Pfff!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018