back to article Enraged Brits demand Donald Trump UK ban

Enraged British citizens in their thousands are rushing to sign an e-petition demanding US presidential wannabe and blow-dried rabble-rouser Donald Trump be barred from darkening the UK's doors. As won't have escaped your notice, Trump has got himself into a bit of bother by suggesting "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims …

Re: All you treehuggers need to look at the numbers.

Alan, What kind of idiot are you? They didn't take that barbaric statement out of the most recent printing of the Koran. It's still there and it is gullible fools like you that discount their murderous behavior that will end up being killed by what you are trying to protect.

Stop reading between the lines looking for mysterious meanings, the threat is plainly obvious and they want all non Muslims dead. Jihad means war and you are a fool.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Ah, the old "free speech as long as we agree with it" policy

"Oh no! Someone said something that offends me! Ban him! On no account must I ever be exposed to viewpoints that stress me! Trigger warnings! Safe spaces! Microaggressions!"

The solution to "offensive" speech - and remember, everyone's definition of "offensive" is slightly different - is not to ban it. That just feeds the mentality of martyrdom and victimhood.

Instead, provide better counter arguments. Let Trump's viewpoints be heard, as widely as possible. Argue cogently against them - again, as widely as possible. Provide clear & concrete examples of why his suggestions wouldn't work. Hint: it should be very easy to do so, if he's as wrong and deluded as you think he is.

If you just drop the ban-hammer on viewpoints you don't like, it only makes people think "hmm, there must have been something valid in that argument..."

Silver badge

Re: Ah, the old "free speech as long as we agree with it" policy

Oh dear... a logical argument in a world of SJW, political correctness, and knee jerk reactions. Have an upvote.

Silver badge

Mark, we should all know that the SJWs, PCists and Common Purpose graduates are totally blind to anything logical and only react to key words dismissing everything said between those words.

Anonymous Coward

Maybe I'm over-optimistic, but I automatically assume something like this is a political move, e.g. simply to force debate in Parliament - and the attending news coverage - while not for a moment believing he will be banned.

Silver badge

Maybe I'm over-optimistic, but I automatically assume something like this is a political move

That could well be. It'd be one way that Brits could influence the American election. After all it would be pretty hard to elect a President who's not allowed to visit our closest allies.

Anonymous Coward

No, let him in.

Just ensure that wherever he goes there are boxes of rotten fruit, vegatables and eggs available on free issue. The local constabulary will also need to be issued with Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.

Anonymous Coward

> Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses

Reminds me, someone has suggested that Trump would be an ideal presidential candidate, in the vein of Zaphod Beeblebrox -- "If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."

Someone else noted a similarity between Trump and Zaphod: "One of the major difficulties the Republican party has experienced in their relationship with Trump was learning to distinguish between him pretending to be stupid just to get people off their guard, pretending to be stupid because he couldn't be bothered to think and wanted someone else to do it for him, pretending to be outrageously stupid to hide the fact that he actually didn’t understand what was going on, and really being genuinely stupid. He was renowned for being amazingly clever and quite clearly was so—but not all the time, which obviously worried him, hence, the act. He preferred people to be puzzled rather than contemptuous."

Silver badge

On a similar (Zaphodish) note

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

Silver badge

Re: On a similar (Zaphodish) note

"the White House will be adorned by a downright moron"

Already happened.

Facepalm

"Border Guards to ask the Muslim question at point of entry"

That'll stop the terrorists.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Border Guards to ask the Muslim question at point of entry"

"That'll stop the terrorists."

There is an American solution to this problem. See

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a1/01/0b/a1010ba8fc4070cf6b478d8a81f07f00.jpg

Trollface

Don't ban 'The Donald'

Just ban his barber.

Silver badge

Re: Don't ban 'The Donald'

He doesn't have a barber; he has a handler

Anonymous Coward

"Just ban his barber."

What will Boris Johnson do then?!

Trollface

Haven't seen this many commentards posting since El Reg flogged off some Hard drives a few weeks ago!

Anonymous Coward

Petition

Sign the free speech petition here:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/114907

Silver badge

Re: Petition

If there was a petition to tighten up the rules on banning people I would sign it. The one you linked is not a free speech petition, it's a Trump-exception petition. Nice try, but no cigar as a previous president might have said.

Anonymous Coward

So the one that wants to ban the fellow, which this one is simply a reversal of, is OK is it?

Silver badge

I'm only explaining why I don't give two trumps about this petition. Nobody has tried to represent the other one as anything other than what it is, which is a "Fuck Trump" petition. This one is a "Hug Trump" petition which you pretended was a free speech petition, so I called out the lie, that's all. I never said I cared about the other one either.

Basically

All religion should be classified as 'if you want to do it, do it, but don't push your ideals onto others' - i.e. make it like stamp collecting or train spotting.

And don't tolerate making laws or protection or anything else that these people do or want (including the stupid religious rules where sheikh's don't have to wear crash helmets, or employers have to change rules on H&SE PPE to allow muslin women walk around masked or muslims need to pray to allah every 6 hours or want not).

Get RID OF IT.

Re: Basically

"All religion should be classified as 'if you want to do it, do it, but don't push your ideals onto others' - i.e. make it like stamp collecting or train spotting."

You clearly haven't been following the Militant Stamp Collector stories, but that's understandable as the main-stream press won't talk about it.

Silver badge

Not to mention the radical train spotters that want to drag us all back to the steam ages. Egg butties and Tizer for all! ANORAK IS GREAT!

Silver badge
Happy

"ANORAK IS GREAT!"

Tizer is the work of Stan (sic). Weak Lemon Drink is the only true brew!

Splitter!!

Silver badge

You're all wrong it's Irn Bru and I have a hungover army of Glaswegians for my army.

Silver badge

Thou shalt not deviate from Bradshaw! I sentence you to ride electric trams for all eternity! ANORAK IS GREAT!

Silver badge
Trollface

>All religion should be classified as 'if you want to do it, do it, but don't push your ideals onto others' - i.e. make it like stamp collecting or train spotting...

>GET RID OF IT.

It depends what you call "religion."

"Worship" is a contraction of "Worthy-ship." It is about what you consider to be most worthy of your time, effort and resources.

Are you still suggesting that everything that anyone considers worthy of time, effort and resources should be classed as a hobby and we should GET RID OF IT?

Or are we only getting rid of the things you don't approve of?

Irony-troll is watching you.

Just to be pedantic, "worship" comes from "worthship", not "worthyship". There's no trace of -ig/-y anywhere in its history.

MJI
Silver badge

Sorry not on, as a member of the Blue Diesel sect I want 37s 50s Deltic and 47s everywhere.

And HSTs should be in their original colours and have Valentas.

Death to the Sheds.

Centres of worship at Falcon works and Vulcan Foundry

Silver badge

Upvote for Kevin Eldon reference

Silver badge

And don't tolerate making laws or protection or anything else that these people do or want (including the stupid religious rules where sheikh's don't have to wear crash helmets, or employers have to change rules on H&SE PPE to allow muslin women walk around masked or muslims need to pray to allah every 6 hours or want not).

Seriously, why NOT let a Muslim woman walk around masked, as their religion demands? Why not let a Muslim man pray every 6 hours if that's what they believe? It's not like it affects you in the slightest. Rules that prevent people from exercising their religious beliefs are wrong when those religious beliefs don't hurt anyone or affect their ability to do their jobs.

There is a reason that civilized society decided that religion is worth protecting. Religion is very central to the lives of many believers. That being the case on what grounds can you justify forcing a woman who believes she'll go to hell if she shows her face in public to take off her mask? You are essentially telling such a woman that she has to either give up any chance at having a life outside of her home or condemn her soul to hell. That is just plain cruel. It would be no better than forcing a militant atheist to attend church every week or face prison time.

Silver badge

"Seriously, why NOT let a Muslim woman walk around masked, as their religion demands? Why not let a Muslim man pray every 6 hours if that's what they believe? It's not like it affects you in the slightest. Rules that prevent people from exercising their religious beliefs are wrong when those religious beliefs don't hurt anyone or affect their ability to do their jobs."

IIRC that may have been one of the prime founding principles of the USA. But that was a long time ago and the Trump is nothing if not modern and forward thinking...oh wait...

Silver badge

You Blue Diesel sect reformation modernists will bring doom to us all. Martyr yourself now and be granted the key to Thomas and retain your virginity for 72 lifetimes. ANORAK IS GREAT!

Simple reply - all religious beliefs are total bollocks in the year 2015 (maybe not in 1415).

MJI
Silver badge

Erm some of us managed to get married and have kids. My wife has to put up with a pile of Airfix air con and Lima Mark2 body shells being detailed.

Etched window frames removes any hint of toyness to the Limas

Silver badge

Simple reply - all religious beliefs are total bollocks in the year 2015

It's 2015 and more than 90% of all human beings still believe in a higher power of some form or another. Whether or not you personally do is really not a valid point.

Anonymous Coward

On the one side Donald Trump and on the other side religious fanatics, I'm just an atheist stuck between the two who likes neither of them.

Silver badge

I think this is being taken too seriously...he swung the focus of his rambling bollocks briefly on the UK and the UK is just letting him have a salvo back in the form of a petition.

It's beautiful...a clear, proudly upraised middle finger with the power of a quarter of a million personal "fuck you"'s behind it. Top quality passive-aggressiveness that makes one proud to be British.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Mine was more a two-fingered flicking of the V and a "fark off"....

Silver badge

UPDATE: Half a million.

Silver badge

Follow the money

I only did a little bit of reading about Trump. Mostly the usual place.

But,

He appears to be built on celebrity, in the widest and most shallow sense.

Much of his wealth is based on his selling his name to give an identity to organisations that he doesn't actually own.

Much, if not all, of the wealth he inherited he managed to lose.

On the road to that he did indeed make a fair bit of money at one point. Mostly by buying and renting out cheaper properties at times of high demand, by ignoring the rent control rules that existed and accepting only tenants that could afford the higher rents.

So now, getting publicity and fame increases his value and what he can ask to license his name.

Or did I misread it in some way?

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Follow the money

More about the guy as a businessman in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCIwXdQ9p90

I don't like that guy and since some time ago, when I see his small round mouth my arse has started to argue with him, very annoying, I can't understand the language but I feel the smell. Coat as there is no icon for diapers.

Silver badge

>He appears to be built on celebrity, in the widest and most shallow sense.

He's a middle-aged white male Kardashian?

As ye behold, so shall ye vote.

Silver badge

He was known as a rich ass for a lot of years. His current status has come from two words he would utter on reality show (for some value of reality) usually to some snot-nose asswipe: "Your fired". People ate that up and they now think he's a wise businessman. No... he's still a schmuck. Elect him at your peril.

Silver badge

>So now, getting publicity and fame increases his value and what he can ask to license his name.

Which is now back firing in the land above the land of the free.

It's suddenly getting very difficult to sell Trump tower in multicultural Vancouver

Anonymous Coward

Trump this

Trump while not the sharpest tool in the shed and certainly not politically correct, has made some reasonable statements that mainstream media loves to take out of context to chastise him. Anyone who actually paid attention knows that Trump stated that no Muslims should be allowed into the U.S. without proper vetting. That's completely different than saying the U.S. should not allow any Muslims to enter - period. The issue is and will always be security and terrorism. Before anyone is allowed in the U.S. they need to go through proper channels and it doesn't matter if Trump states this fact outright in what many deem as not being politically correct or not, it's a reality.

The Hispanics that do not believe that drug dealers, rapists and other criminals come to the U.S. as illegal aliens, are in deep, deep denial. Of course it's not politically correct to state the obvious and clueless Hispanics will take Trump's accurate statement as a personal affront, when he's just stating the truth. Most people in the U.S. and in main stream media simply can not handle the truth when presented with it, because of course we have become so politically correct that we lie to ourselves to make everything OK. Denial is not a river in Egypt. It's what many people use to ignore reality. That reality however can get you killed.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Trump this

Does the US not have homegrown "drug dealers, rapists and other criminals" ? Importing as illegal aliens seems a lot of work.

Silver badge

The Hispanics that do not believe that drug dealers, rapists and other criminals come to the U.S. as illegal aliens, are in deep, deep denial.

The issue is that Trump implied, rather blatantly, that non-criminal Hispanic immigrants were the exception. No one is dumb enough to believe that there aren't immigrants who are criminals, but when you start saying that MOST of them are then there's a problem.

Silver badge

Does the US not have homegrown "drug dealers, rapists and other criminals" ? Importing as illegal aliens seems a lot of work.

Fecking outsourcing man its everywhere.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017