back to article Reg reader achieves bronze badge, goes directly to jail

Those of you who've been knocking around the El Reg forums for a while will know that we have a badge system designed to honour invaluable Reg reader contributions to the site, or at least acknowledge a certain degree of commitment to giving forth. To get a foot on the first step on the ladder of glory - the bronze badge - you …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm wondering why people (including the article author) are referring to the perp as a "He".

1. Irony Deficient

“He”

Anonymous Coward, perhaps because (epicene) “He” requires fewer keystrokes than either (singular) “They” or “He/She”.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: “He”

The article author knows which posts belong to this convicted commentard. There may be a clue as to their sex in their posts.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

There are commentards having sex in their posts? Erk...

1. earl grey
            Trollface

To be more inclusive now you should use s/he-it.

2. The First Dave

Only with myself...

2. Aitor 1

Pot money

We could put some money and try to contact him to send him a gift, postcard whatever.

He seemed quite angry at his lawyer for putting him on the spam list.. and was affected by the swiss secure web service shutdown.. he lost emails important for his defense.

1. Danny 2
      Pint

Re: Pot money

What a nice thought, but no donations necessary. It was enough to see this unsolicited thread as the first headline I read after coming out of a mad day in court, as I now know I'm able to survive a heart-attack event.

ProtonMail being down didn't lose my emails, just delayed things. My lawyer has unspammed me, although I doubt he'll ever be my Facebook friend now. My anger has effervesced into utter bemusement. This anecdote will be funny 'in time' but right now the jokes on me - I mean, how does anyone manage to get thrown out of their own trial without being able to get arrested? I was expecting Porridge but this is a legal version of Fawlty Towers, unfortunately with me as Manuel.

At various points over the past 11 months I've been asked about my mental health, I assumed out of concern, now I realise they were just checking if they'd done enough yet.

Unless you actually meant money for cannabis, in which case I'd say yes, that might help. I am afraid I don't know any dealers (yet, I guess I'll meet some inside) except the complainant. And bail restrictions forbid me from approaching them.

Beer Icon, because that's what I spent my last bus-fare on.

3. Chika

I was evicted from my dingey lair...

4. Haku

I wonder if we'll get any special priviliges based on how low our user number is.

5. 45RPM Silver badge

I visited a friend in chokey once. I got frisked and x-rayed for drugs - which I, as a tweedy kind of a bloke, thought was hiliarious. I don’t do anything stronger than whisky, tea and bacon.

They took dabs too. So presumably I’m on record somewhere.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

"They took dabs too"

It's Dabbs, but thanks I wondered where his article was this week.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge
      Meh

Chokey

I got asked what it was like in prison once. Said I didn't know and the interlocutor said: "Well that's funny. Isn't that where you've been the last couple of years?"

Apparently there had been a picture of me robbing a bank on the front page of one of the Melbourne papers. Except it wasn't me.

1. herman

Re: Chokey

Well, with the handle 'Chokey', are you sure you are not a sleep walker? Found a big wad of cash in front of your bed one day and wondered where it came from? That may be why...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Chokey

> there had been a picture of me robbing a bank on the front page of one of the Melbourne papers. Except it wasn't me.

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

6. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Holmes

Who's stopped posting? C'mon, we should be able to work it out...

1. James O'Shea

Well, I'm still here. Even though I've taken to answering telemarketer calls with "You have reached the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office Anti-Fraud Task Force. Please hold." Somehow I suspect that Sheriff Rick "An M16 in every squadcar" Bradshaw (yes, he actually said that...)o won't be too happy to find out that he has a task force which might look into what he perpetuated in the last election.

7. drone2903 in Kanuckistant

Not me !

Got scared. Thought it was me for a second.. Then I remember: I don't post enough to have the bronze medal... Phew!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I recently made Siliver

So now I can look down on all you Bronze chasers..... PLEBS!!!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: I recently made Siliver

Bang goes any chance you might have had of being awarded a Gold Star then.

Govel, grovel...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Gimp

Re: I recently made Siliver

No chance I would have made Gold anyway, too many people come in here after a sense-of-humour bypass.

Mind you, some of my jokes are so bad, my 2y/o daughter laughs at them.

(Not me, the missus with one of her "beauty" masks on).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting badges

Retired with time on hands, had a job that involved working in more than one professional field, but including IT, opinionated. Genuinely knowledgeable helps but not essential,

AC because, well, it's embarrassing.

10. Christopher Lane
  11. Christopher Lane
  12. Christopher Lane
  13. Christopher Lane

have...

14. Christopher Lane
  15. Christopher Lane
  16. Christopher Lane
  17. Christopher Lane

submit...

18. Christopher Lane
  19. Christopher Lane

hundred...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

20. Christopher Lane

No you have to stop doing stupid things like spam comment sections.

1. Christopher Lane
        Joke

oooooo hark at you...someones had a humour bypass ;-)

If that counts as humour in your world then apparently so.

2. PNGuinn
          Trollface

@ Christopher Lane

Have a dozen or so downvotes.

2. 45RPM Silver badge

Err… Yes. But you also need to have a certain number of upvotes - and this isn’t a great way of getting those.

Must try harder, I’m afraid. Quality as well as quantity.

1. Christopher Lane

Like I'm worried...it's a bootnotes article. Now were it a serious piece of journalism about Crypto4/SAN all flash arrays/Net neutrality etc I could understand the "humour removed at birth" individual above. However I shall accept my downvotes with joy, join them together in a daisy chain about my head and poke a flower down each of your barrels...peace out brothers and sisters!

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

We used to call this "Darranting"...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=darrant

21. speedbird007
    Happy

HMP Elreg

Apart from the last 12 posts (trying too hard lads) this thread has been most entertaing today.

Prefer Badgers to badges/badgelets btw.

If the commentard called D***** has really gone on holiday at her Majesty's expense I expect a postcard to be displayed on El Reg sometime soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HMP Elreg

BA pilot by any chance?

22. greenawayr

Badges???

We don't need no stinkin' badges

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Badges???

Well wash them, then they wont stink, so much

23. John Sanders
    Megaphone

Why have badges...

...When you can have good old badgers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

24. John Sanders

Also I hate...

...The badge coming and going...

One just does not have so much time to spend on the interwebs any more!

25. MeRp

Snitches get stitches... non-lurkers get jail time. Got it!

26. John Stoffel

obligatory commentard comment for bronze wanna-be

I want my broze too! Hold on officer... be right with you.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: broze

I see what you did there

http://web2.broze.be/

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon