back to article BAN the ROBOT WHORES, says robot whore expert: 'These AREN'T BARBIES'

An expert has called for a ban on sex robots, saying that their introduction will, in some unspecified way, increase the damage to society caused by prostitution. Chatting with The Register, Dr Kathleen Richardson PhD contended that the possible AI sex droids of the future would strongly contribute to the continuing miserable …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Richardson is a few screws short of a mechano set

"[...] or has a medical accident and can't perform, or something?"

An elderly friend had had a husband who suffered circulatory problems that put him in a wheelchair and eventually killed him in his forties. Before he suffered early onset dementia he encouraged his wife to take a lover.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have heard of such cases, some did some didn't and in some cases it went seriously pear shaped. Nothing new under the Sun, Lady Chatterly et al

2. DropBear

"Well, I for one would wish she'd GET some carnal instincts and experience a bit more of life, so she can learn more about what she's spouting a load of uneducated hot air about."

Well said. Just one thing to add: "Satisfaction". Aussie made. Only three seasons. WATCH IT.

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

She said that use of sex-bots is deeply connected to the use of prostituted women.

Really? Sexbots have been around for a few thousand years have they? I think she means prossies had better find a new career.

Reminds me, who has gone to A & E claiming to have falled under their Roomba. They're the robotic equiv. of vacuum cleaners.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Reminds me, who has gone to A & E claiming to have falled under their Roomba. "

In Scotland many years ago a stag night would sometimes end with the groom and a farm milking machine.

A nurse girlfriend once recounted the A&E case of an unfortunate man who had failed to recognise the potential problem with a Babycham bottle's shape.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

aaaaaaagh!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Lars Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Pleas

How much for Rachael in the Blade Runner.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Pleas

Rachael?

But it was Priss who was a joy-use replicant.

Might have been underage in some colonies, too.

BAM!!

4. pewpie

Deathbots good. Sexbots bad.

Tell me we aren't being ruled by the fucking church again.

Gimp

Re: Deathbots good. Sexbots bad.

No-one is currently pining for cruxifiction and witchburn bots yet except maybe medieval terror trolls ISIS, so no.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Deathbots good. Sexbots bad.

"No-one is currently pining for cruxifiction and witchburn bots yet except maybe medieval terror trolls ISIS [...]"

You have cast your net outside Europe. Therefore you are including the crucifixion fetishists in the Catholic Philippines. There are "witch" burnings in Africa - as well as Indonesia and South America.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/03/filipino-devotees-nail-selves-to-cross-in-crucifixion-reenactment/

http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/igwe20140530

5. Frumious Bandersnatch

are friends electric?

only, mine's broke down ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: are friends electric?

Then you need Musk ....

6. john devoy

Very one sided arguement

She seems to assume only men would use such a device. As per usual anything men do is perverse but vibrators connected to iphones etc are just good clean fun for women.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Very one sided arguement

I suspect that she is not amused.

Re: Very one sided arguement

Definitely not easily amused.

7. Captain Hogwash
    Meh

Sexism?

I've seen this on several online publications today. This woman appears to assume that such devices will be produced only to satisfy the needs of heterosexual males. I suspect that models will be available for all tastes and genders (if any at all are.) For the record, I have no interest in using these things for their intended purpose if any are ever built. However I would be happy to contribute code for appropriate remuneration.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sexism?

"However I would be happy to contribute code for appropriate remuneration."

No doubt an interactive version of chaturbate would soon be a hot ipo issue.

2. Suricou Raven

Re: Sexism?

If they became semi-commonplace - say, about the same as the more exotic sex toys today - it's not hard to imagine a community of sexbot hackers online exchanging printable upgrade designs and new programming. People mod their PCs for cosmetic reasons, so think what you could do with a sex-bot. However exotic your tastes?

Fan of Avatar? Then you'll want to get your stock Cherry 2000 model, download a new voice pack and behavioral profile, print yourself a new facial plate. The skin is going to be harder, but you should be able to order roboskin intended for animal displays, and the eye lenses along with them. Might be a bit of a hack job, but doable.

Just think of what the furries alone would do! And then go bang your head against a wall until that image departs your mind.

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What is meant by ....... Take over the world? Being smarter than ignorant humans?

Richardson turned away from the actual issue of banning robots - stating again that sex toys, and sex robots, exist because of prostitution.

Exist because of prostitution? Oh please, doc, you cannot be serious. That is just too unbelievable to be acceptable, methinks.

And here is Dr Kathleen Richardson, lecturing an audience on Will robots take over the world?

9. Dave 32
    Coat

BSOD

This could give a new meaning and fear to the term Blue Screen of Death!

Dave

P.S. I'll get my coat. It's the one that's beeping anxiously.

10. Fatman
    Joke

Hollywood has already introduced us to sex robots..

Back in 1987: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092746/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hollywood has already introduced us to sex robots..

Metropolis 1927

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/

Weird Science 1985

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090305/

Was it Barbarella that burned out the evil Durand-Durand's orgasm machine?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062711/

1. Suricou Raven

Re: Hollywood has already introduced us to sex robots..

It was Barbarella, yes. I'd have preferred if she could have lasted a bit longer though, as I quite liked the music.

11. Stevie

Bah!

Robot Totty must:

a) Look like the real thing (or not, if you want to go All Soryama, All Night).

2) Do whatever one wants behind closed doors enthusiastically instead of screaming and throwing kitchen implements one's way whenever one says "how about a fashion show?"

#) Not phone anyone afterward to "tell all".

Once those Three Laws of Robot Crumpet are in play we can safely move human partners to where they want to be: raising kids (or not) and focusing on work (or not). Whatever, other human beings will not be needed for quick, fun, naughty/kinky sex and neither will they need bribing with dinner and flowers for "undergoing" same.

I see no downside, and I'll take the Cherry 2000.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

"I see no downside, and I'll take the Cherry 2000."

Does that go with the Porky 1981?

12. fruitoftheloon
    WTF?

NAH!!!

Is it April the first or something...?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: NAH!!!

We get sexbots on April 1st???!!???

1. fruitoftheloon
        Thumb Up

@TeeCee: Re: NAH!!!

TC,

sounds like a plan to me!

Jay

2. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Re: NAH!!!

I read that as April The Fist.

13. The humble print monkey

Sprint of the age

Your android replica is playing up again.

1. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: Sprint of the age

It's no Joke, When she comes she moans another's name

But that's the spirit of the age.

1. Santa from Exeter
        Childcatcher

Re: Sprint of the age

My time held dreams were full of you,

as you were when I left; still underage

Think of the children! :-)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't it nice, sugar and spice

Luring disco dollies to a life of vice

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Isn't it nice, sugar and spice

A modern Pinnocchio?

Like "Key the Metal Idol"? No, wait, she was no robot after all. Or was she?

2. Teiwaz

Re: Isn't it nice, sugar and spice

"Disco dollies"?

'Make the lights flash faster'

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At the moment and for the foreseeable future I think this idea of banning what amounts to very expensive and complicated vibrators is completely bonkers but this is a question we might need to address one day. Assuming NK doesn't cause us to nuke ourselves back to the dark ages at some point we'll probably actually crack AI and we'll end up with machines that express emotions as we understand them and a desire for continued existence. In fact in all ways that can be measured they will effectively be alive. Would it still then be ethical to have one just for your pleasure? I would probably argue that it isn't. While they are still as dumb as (and about as attractive as) your toaster though who am I to stop you!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Would it still then be ethical to have one just for your pleasure?"

The Blade runner ethical question. The Robert Heinlein 1947 hypothetical court case of granting a chimpanzee human rights in "Jerry was a man" has apparently just been enacted in real life.

http://www.nonhumanrightsproject.org/2015/04/20/judge-recognizes-two-chimpanzees-as-legal-persons-grants-them-writ-of-habeas-corpus/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For now, we have a Syrian refugee crisis because "our" bastards are laying waste to large swathes of the Middle East..... we will worry about non-humans later.

2. Suricou Raven

A sex-bot does not need to express emotions as we know them. A sex-bot needs to be able to mimic emotion sufficiently well to convince a user who is already trying to convince themself. That's not such a hard goal.

The tricky part is going to be programming it to carry out the two-minute conversation that counts as foreplay and accurately interpret commands from an operator who might be uncomfortable stating outright their desires.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No.1 Given the number of sex toys sold to females as opposed to males I'd question who is more likely to buy one.

No.2 If they could create an android that could provide emotional support and a physical relationship what makes people think males would want them more then females?

No.3 I've never really understood the fuss, perhaps the would would be a better place if males used sex toys as much as females?

Also there are actually a fair few of us (and I suspect our number grows) who have failed so far to actually find another person that fits into their existence correctly and could do with some kind of partner.

17. Yugguy

I really don't get it

I don't get any of these fake vaginas and the like.

I really would rather just have a wank.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I really don't get it

It is having a wank.

18. Just.Aguy

What about a "three way" with a robotoy?

She's obviously focusing on the wrong problem. It isn't about toys, but about exploitation.

Trying to gin up publicity for her cause rather than anything serious in her arguments.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funny you should say that ... mentioned topic to a friend similar age to this researcher and her response was you find the robot and I'll bring a bottle! The researcher should spend more time with her own generation and less with academic papers.

2. Someone_Somewhere

http://jezebel.com/couple-spends-over-30-000-to-have-hardcore-threesomes-1640962443

19. The Dude

Is this a joke?

Seriously? I didn't think it possible, but these radical feminists continue to become even sillier.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this a joke?

perhaps they're getting sillier, but the fact, that media present their views with a straight face (unlike the Register), this is just... familiar.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Megaphone

Re: Is this a joke?

these radical feminists continue to become even sillier

"Sir! I will enjoin you to stop your out-of-line micro-aggressions ONCE ONLY, otherwise I WILL have to call campus police!"

(Finally a good use of the megaphone)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like