back to article Pan Am Games: Link to our website without permission and we'll sue

The organisers of the Pan American Games in Toronto, which start this week, require that people seek formal permission to link to its website at toronto2015.org. Under the website's terms of use, amid piles of incomprehensible legalese seemingly designed to hide from the fact that social media exists, it is decreed that no one …

FAIL

More interest here than in Toronto.

And that's about par for the course. 2.5beeeeelion dollars to put them on, 250meeelion for security and no one gives a flying fuck. Canada. (oh except the anti-mining protesters -- but they were infiltrated and neutralized before the games began.) Timbits anyone?

I was just watching the diving competition from the PanAm games and thought... you know Canada is about the furthest from the rest of the "pan am" as could be possible... I mean there's 2 North American States, numerous South American States and and like half a dozen Middle American States, how does the US or Canada win any sort of right to hold considering the travel costs they are placing on the rest?

(edit) hmm, googles says Mexico is part of North America, so there are 3, I guess I culturally put them to Central America being they speak Spanish like most of the rest of the Americas, I know some speak Portuguese and there are German speaking sects all over the Americas for various reasons.

central america is kind of a myth, like if you think of middle east as neither africa nor asia. Mexico is North America but it is also Latin America (as is all of Central and South America). The former is a geographic designation and the latter is a demographic (well, really just linguistic) designation. Geographically North America includes all of Central America -- but don't tell USA folks that, especially not a certain Mr. Trump...

Headmaster

" I mean there's 2 North American States,"

No, there are three. United States of America, Canada and Mexico. St. Pierre et Miquelon could be considered to qualify but as they are self-governing parts of France probably do not.

Just because Mexico is Spanish speaking does not make it a Middle or South American state.

Silver badge
Pint

Re. Complaints about Canada vs "Pan Am"

I'd like to point out that Canada covers the full *width* of the Americas, seeing how it touches several oceans.

Silver badge

Staying on the safe side

I will not link their precious URL. In fact I will be even more careful. I will neither watch the games nor even read about the results.

Am I safe now?

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Staying on the safe side

No. You just indirectly referred to them. Sueball is probably on it's way

Re: Staying on the safe side

You wouldn't want to link to them with your eyes now would you!

Which Toronto Games

Is it the ones in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Ohio or South Dakota, perhaps it is all happening in County Durham.

(Quebec is also in County Durham, Chris Waddle used to work there)

Silver badge

So presumably their domain name will have to be deleted from DNS servers

Fuckem!

What happens next

1. Everylink links furiously to http://www.toronto2015.org/, because the internet just adores the Streisand effect

2. Toronto 2015 website gets immense publicity

3. Ticket sales go through the roof

4. Pan Am games promoters go out to a long lunch, joking about how terribly they have misjudged this Internet Thingy, because they just don't understand it at all (aka Profit)

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: What happens next

"Ticket sales go through the roof"

'cos everyone's jumping on a plane to Toronto?

C.

FIFA, IOC, major sports leagues, now these guys... they ought to all be eradicated from the face of the earth. Let's not forget they set nigh-impossibly body image and expectations for youth, feed gluttonously from public troughs, demand concessions from governments and then leave them a shambles, like a swarm of locusts in for a holiday... Call me mad, but shouldn't sports be about people having fun and getting exercise, instead of filling up stuffed shirts with billions in cash?

Perhaps some custom referers?

I think I'll use:

Referer: http://www.yourmothersasshole.com/to2015_sucks/torontoblows-andgofuckyourselves.html

...or something like that, send out the link to many people.... use Burp Suite or squid to replace the referer header, bounce it through another proxy, and let 'em log that.

I'm probably only feeding the troll....

...but i couldn't stop myself from emailing them this:

- - - -

Dear Pan Am Games lawyers,

Welcome to the internet. And thank you. Thank you. Thaaaaaaank youuuuuuu!!!!!

I have had some bad days lately, and really, really needed a laugh. It was so nice of you to provide that.

The sheer thought of anybody needing permission to link to anyones websites is so outrageously hilarious, that i nearly crapped myself laughing. Well, at least i managed to mop most of that mouthful of coffee out of my keyboard again. I have had coffee coming out of my sinuses for a while now...

I didn't manage to find your "Terms of use" myself - it was actually "The Register" that broke the story (Link - without anybodys 'permission' : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/11/pan_am_games_warns_link_to_us_and_well_sue/ ) and my big thanks to El Reg too - you two really, really made my day.

Perhaps your lawyers should read up a little on this new-fangled Intertubes watchemcallits? Hint: you put something on the Internet == everybody can use it. Within the copyright laws, of course. Without permission. Without wasting a second reading your silly and meaningless "Terms of use".

Please keep up the good work. I can use more laughs like that.

Have fun -

The_Pirate

- - - -

Their server may have gotten better - at least my mail hasn't bounced yet. Unlike my checks. I'm quite hopeful for a reply - if i get one, i'll share it....

Silver badge

Re: I'm probably only feeding the troll....

Mine didn't bounce (yet) either.

The best way to point out the idiocy is to ask permission.

Everyone on the Internet, individually.

That way, they drown in emails and nobody at all can use the brand, whether a sponsor or not.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm probably only feeding the troll....

Why is it that I have developed the urge to "mail bomb" these people?

A good spammer should have the capability to send 1-2 billion largely identical requests from 1-2 billion unique and largely non-existent email address.

Hmmm ...

FAIL

Wonder if the CN Tower had permission to light up with the PanAm colours? (It took somebody from Toronto that pointed out what the colour scheme was though - I just thought it looked pretty)

I think we should all have done what they asked. Including Google. They'd soon learn the errors of their way when they get no traffic to their site!

Anonymous Coward

#TOGAMES MEMORIAL

http://wgntv.com/2015/07/11/toronto-honors-dead-raccoon-with-street-memorial-internet-mourns/

I shant be watching http://www.toronto2015.org/

Anonymous Coward

Enjoyed the belly flop video

Otherwise i ignored Toronto2015[tm] because I didn't get written permission from them to click on their website.

Facepalm

Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

2 days to go; cutting it fine with their Windows Server 2003 migration plan.

Silver badge

Re: Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

Now, now...if you try you can get iis 6 working on server 2008/r2.

Why is another matter.

(it's also this kind of slackness as to why mine doesn't give any headers back bar clacks overhead (natch.))

Facepalm

Now Pan Am Games have graciously changed their TOCs, I hope all you people who placed links to the site that shall not be named, but now can be are now completely relieved that you're no longer criminals of the lowest kind. A letter or two of apology to Pan Am wouldn't go amiss.

Vic

A letter or two of apology to Pan Am wouldn't go amiss.

A letter of thanks that they've been shown the error of their ways would be rather welcome. I, for one, am unapologetic for what I've done...

Vic.

Silver badge
Devil

did we ruin someone's weekend?

Depends on how much they charge for over time.

(we need a naked greed icon).

Canuck Post Pub Nosh

Dunno If I missed this one; but whilst we're in the Americas and North of the 49th can we do a Post Pub Nosh review on Poutine...

A few bowl fulls of that should slow down any athlete attending the games that cannot be named..

Trollface

Re: Canuck Post Pub Nosh

ah, squeaky cheese, chips and gravy.

Note: the other half is Canadian and she's gonna kill me for calling it that

Will this do?

Vic

can we do a Post Pub Nosh review on Poutine

I'd rather see a Post Pub Nosh review on Poitin. It would mean changing countries.

Vic.

Ruin somebody's weekend??

There's a couple of lawyers in Toronto worked a few extra hours and are now ordering themselves another new Mercedes. Trebles all round, I'd say...

FAIL

"Deep linking" bans

Verizon Wireless say you can't link to any part of their web site except the home page: http://goo.gl/WFjYKK (see the paragraph under the heading "Requirements for linking to www.verizonwireless.com")

The same instructions appear on lots of other sites - example Google search: http://goo.gl/hDKBle

FAIL

I got threatened by a US company THIS weekend..for using a hashtag!

Ha! Here in Sydney at the weekend, tow Attack Dogs actively sought me out at an event, and threatened me for "stealing their hashtag". The security staff for the 5* hotel were standing there p!ssing themselves as these two bints got told "how about you call the cops and tell them we've stolen your hashtag luv?"

I don't think they were expecting that response.

I see a lot more of this happening with this #TO2015 bullsh!t - but only in the US. Elsewhere in the RealWorld™, noone gives a rats arse.

Watch and have a giggle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D06stcYwxMU

Ironic, that theregister tries to impose conditions upon people linking to their website..

"The Register permits any website to link to any of our stories, provided it clearly states its source and does not include the full text of the story on its own site"

Pretty much implying, that they too believe it is within their power to permit (or not) people to link to their site.

Anonymous Coward

Nope - that's fairly normal copywrite practice - and what Pan Am games should have said in the first place.

Thumb Down

"Let's hope the organisers are better at running games than they are servers."

Actually, they are running games few people care about... who'd want to link to their website?

Silver badge

Just TOO 2015

Can I suggest a motto, namely "PanAm et Circensem"? They're getting a good start on the latter.

The US seems to notice the Pan Am games only when it and the rest of the hemisphere are more than usually at odds. In 1972, I think it was, Puerto Rico wanted to arrest the US basketball coach Bobby Knight, and the Indiana government made loud noises about refusing any extradition requests.

Trollface

It's not the first time I've seen this clause...

...it also was on Renfe's quite useless website, the Spanish state-owned railway company. Even more, it explicitly requested permission from them to include a link to their website on e-mails. Yes, e-mails.

So I sent them an e-mail requesting permission. Never got a reply.

Now that I think about it, was that e-mail itself a breach of the conditions becasue I sent to somewhere at renfe.com (which included the forbidden renfe.com) before asking permission from them by e-mail? Should I had written a prior e-mail asking for permission to send them an e-mail asking for permission? And what about this e-mail?

Quick, someone who is too bored to have a life read this and give me the tl;dr version.

http://www.pga.com/other/terms-use

Silver badge

Scientology should use this ruse

Tell people they cannot link to scientology's website and watch as people do it out of spite. And end up improving their rankings.

Pretty certain that would never be legally enforceable.

Seriously these people are genuis of bussiness, this type of events need almost desperate the difusion that internet can give them, beside the world cup or the olympic games the amount of people interested in follow these events are decreasing and they make this more complicated. The logical answer of the people would be ok so then I preffer not to link the site and that´s it.

If

If you are reading this page do not turn off your computer.

Do not leave the premises under penalty of law; police are on the way. Should you do so, you will be charged with evading detention, obstructing just ice [sic] and mopery .

Warning: May contain nuts.

Bigger place...

I saw a bit of a documentary last night where they talked to a couple of women on a train in Siberia, they were going to Moscow - apparently it's a 6 day train ride!!

Coat

Re: Bigger place...

Sometimes the train journey from Blackpool to London takes almost that long.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018