back to article Why Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi 2? Upton: 'I drank the Kool-Aid'

Today Microsoft and the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced that Windows 10 will run on the new Raspberry Pi 2. But why? The Register spoke to Pi founder and CEO Eben Upton. “We’ve had people queuing up and saying they want Windows, the whole time,” says Upton. “I think there’s a sense that 'you’re a real PC' if you run Windows …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft has a really good clue?

"Those companies would generally be the ones with dedicated MS account teams and a big MS spend with potential for attractive discounts on overall MS spend if they try Azure out for a while, wouldn't they?"

Yes, most "large enterprise" companies would be in that position. Or if not, then they should be.

"Whereas companies left largely on their own to choose based on best technical and commercial fit for the business..."

Which also tends to be Azure / Office 365 these days instead of AWS / Google apps as used to be the fad.

1. JamesTQuirk

Re: Microsoft has a really good clue?

Really, So after securing your PC /PC's, and backing up valuable company data, you leave it online so "the bad people" have plenty of time to hack it, even if your not online ?

AZURB !!!!!

1. razorfishsl

Thar she blows

Bloat ware on an underpowered postage stamp.....

I'd rather be running linux, secure , fast configurable......

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Thar she blows

"I'd rather be running linux, secure , fast configurable......"

You forgot sanctimonious.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I'd rather be running linux, secure , fast configurable......"

Actually there were more security holes in just the Linux kernel than in a complete current Windows OS last year. And Windows is miles ahead of Linux in terms of 'fast configuration' both from the GUI tools - and the command line (Powershell).

1. JamesTQuirk

umm, cause Linux users fix problems, we will to wait 5 years b4 all of LAST YEARS windows holes are found, cause windows users wait 4 somebody else to fix ?

2. Stevie Silver badge

Bah!

Two things occur to me:

a) The GUI performance of a Raspberry Pi running tailor-made Raspbian is execrable, all but unusable. Given the shoe-horning a Pi requires, how could a terra-bloat GUI be better?

2) Wouldn't putting Windows on a Raspberry Pi simply be a way of making the device cost the same as a PC to buy?

Before the screaming and leaping commences, I own two Raspberry Pi model B machines, an original 256 meg one and a spiffy up-memoried 512 meg one. All comments about performance verified by experiment and long nights trying to make the GUI work acceptably.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Bah!

I love your mixing of numbering your bullet points.

a) The GUI performance of a Raspberry Pi running tailor-made Raspbian is execrable, all but unusable. Given the shoe-horning a Pi requires, how could a terra-bloat GUI be better?

The Pi which you have spent so many long nights experimenting with is not the one that Win10 IoT is being prepared for. Yesterday a new 4 core ARM7 1GB Pi was released, but you know that already because it was impossible to miss. And IoT is not supposed to be a primarily GUI OS anyway.

2) Wouldn't putting Windows on a Raspberry Pi simply be a way of making the device cost the same as a PC to buy?

Microsoft are giving Windows IoT away free to makers.

Amazing how many people have just hurled themselves at conclusions based, presumably, on just the headline.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft blowing a raspberry* at the British.

Spectrum - dead

Acorn/BBC dead (sort of apart from ARM)

Microsoft - alive, kicking and clawing away from the grave that the NSA have shoved them in.

Apple - alive and tracking and backing up everything they can.

Google - alive and tracking everybody, everybody, everybody.

Anyone who thinks that having a Microsoft OS on the British made Pi is a good thing, either has no idea of computer history (watch the end credits to "Micro Men") or is missing that this is feeding straight into the education of the next generation of computer wiz-kids. It is mass marketing and lockin. Get them when they are very young, and they will be enslaved for life. Microsoft did not get into the position that they are in today by being nice. Every PC maker in effect had to sign an exclusive license deal with them to ship their product, They could ship another OS, or no OS, but they still had to pay Microsoft for a license.

[In case you never learned cockney rhyming slang, blowing a raspberry comes "raspberry tart" for "fart"]*

4. John Tserkezis
    Joke

The last thing I need..

...is for my toaster to demand more update downloads before I have a chance to toast my bread.

Why do I need an internet connected toaster? There's only one reason, because it's cool.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The last thing I need..

> Why do I need an internet connected toaster? There's only one reason, because it's cool.

A cool toaster is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Get one that gets hot.

5. Chezstar

I feel a sense of deja-vu coming on...

1990's:

Microsoft Exec: "Hey boys, someone figured out how to get Linux onto PC's! Round up the townsfolk, there's a hangin' to be had!"

2015:

Linux Evangelists: "Hey, someone took OUR hardware and figured out how to put Windows on it! Round up the townsfolk, there's a hangin' to be had!"

I have one on order because I have a CHOICE of what to put on my Pi2. Stop trying to foist your ideals, preconceptions and prejudices on me, go build something on YOUR hardware. Bloody hell, it's not that hard to understand.

Go congratulate Billy because he built a nifty little doodad or geegaw on his Pi2, before you castrate him on your altar made from half finished, hand-etched circuit boards and Linux CD's because he made a choice to do something differently to how you wanted him to.

6. J J Carter Silver badge

I can envisage one of these in the cabinet of high-end PC to act as boot device and orchestrate starting up the main system, like on a VAX 11/780.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

telnet is not secure.

The IoT demo that goes wrong, where an M$ programmer need to connect via "telnet" says all you need to know about how great M$ is at security. It starts with the mindset of the programmers, if that is wrong your building on a swamp, with no foundation and no drainage.

http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/Windows-Developer-Program-for-IoT

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: telnet is not secure.

"The IoT demo that goes wrong, where an M$ programmer need to connect via "telnet" says all you need to know about how great M$ is at security."

You can enable IPSEC if you are concerned about security. I'm sure implementing secure solutions like Powershell remoting is on the to do list. Microsoft's OSs don't natively support legacy options like SSH, so Telnet is probably the only lightweight option without building something new.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The future is now

One can only hope that future Raspberry Pi boards do not come with built in microphones, like GCHQ and the NSA have, allegedly, asked for repeatedly. They were having a major problem getting on to the boards, but now with more CPU and a Gigabyte of RAM and Microsoft's help automatically connecting them to the cloud, that is a thing of the past.

Big brother has called from 1984 and has asked that everyone get a free camera.

(no need for "sudo echo 'disable_camera_led=1' >> /boot/config.txt" any more, with M$ on the job)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019