back to article Is it humanly possible to watch Gigli and Battlefield Earth back-to-back?

Our piece earlier this week on a study which proved The Wizard of Oz is the "most significant" movie ever – by dint of being the flick most referenced in subsequent works – provoked some interesting comments from our ever-lively readers. It goes without saying that a lot of your output centred on the researchers' possibly …

Page:

1. Haku
    Thumb Up

Bad movies? I LOVE BAD MOVIES!

Especially old ones, and old sci-fi. I still have an extensive VHS collection and some laserdiscs of films that never made it to DVD, such as:

Slipstream (1989,Japanese widescreen laserdisc)

Deep Red (1994,laserdisc)

Out on a Limb (1992,laserdisc)

Hamburger: The Motion Picture (1986,laserdisc)

Dream Machine (1991,laserdisc)

Off and Running (1991,VHS)

Crazy Legs aka Off The Mark (1987,VHS)

Savior of the Earth (1983,VHS) - Tron ripoff cartoon you just gotta see, even if you only watch the first few minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OePa32O9l0

The Dirt Bike Kid (1985,laserdisc)

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Bad movies? I LOVE BAD MOVIES!

Then go check out Lair of the White Worm. You should love it. I know I sure didn't. It's got bad acting despite having some decent actors which I suppose indicates bad direction; bad dialog; and really, really bad special effects. It ranks right down there with almost everything The Cruiser* made.

*Tom Cruise

1. Haku

Already have it on DVD :)

Along with other such gems as: Waxwork, Waxwork 2, Troll, Troll 2, The Wraith, The Gate, The Stuff, The Wizard, Crash & Burn, Robot Jox, both Ewoks movies, Tomboy, School Spirit, Back to the Beach and a shedload more.

1. Ian 55

Robot Jox - 'Oooh, it's by the person who did the incredibly wonderful Re-Animator, I want that!' 85 minutes later... 'WTFF?'

What's worse is that it got effectively remade as Pacific Rim by someone else who does magnificent stuff and commercial crap... as the latter.

2. The_Idiot

But... but... White Worm has Emilio Perez Machado and Stephen Powys doing 'The D'Ampton Worm'! Gloriously insane!

Although The Tossers version comes a close second, and is a lot easier to get hold of... :-).

3. fajensen

It also has Amanda Donohoe getting in and out of various kinky gear -- which saves the entire movie!

4. Ian 55

Lair... is great!

2. MJI Silver badge

I remember Slipstream, I quite liked it at the time.

I remember renting it, on Beta

3. Sooty

I have slipstream on DVD, i got it in a boxed set of 40 od sci-fi films that cost me a couple of quid, there are some absolute gems in the set

2. Truffle

Adam Sandler

Bet you cant survive an Adam Sandler marathon.

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

I nominate

'Cocktail' with the revolting little Tom Cruise.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: I nominate

Oh yes, and how could I forget the Nick 'one facial expression' Cage classic, "National Treasure". The whole plot seemingly revolves around how he is somehow descended from some great American hero, and there's a massive conspiracy by the British to undo him, with associated cheesy effects and wooden acting.

Then they made a sequel.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Too easy, anything with Nicholas Cage in is a guarantee of highest quality natural fertilizer.

1. toxicdragon

I thought lord of war was good.

2. Ian 55

I don't think so.

Raising Arizona is - intentionally! - one of the funniest films ever. There have been other good ones.

4. Mike Dolan

Hawk The Slayer

So bad. So terribly bad. It's fantastic.

5. The last doughnut

BE wasn't that bad

Yes it had plenty of faults but it was also funny in places, as is the book.

For something really bad try "Basket Case" or "Surf Nazis Must Die" both of which could have been _so_ much better if only someone with any skill or talent was involved with any of the production!

6. MJI Silver badge

Cheap BDs from Asda

Bought a few of these for a laugh.

And the films were not bad.

A Norwegian zombie Nazi film was quite funny.

B movies but not bad movies.

1. zebthecat

Re: Cheap BDs from Asda

Ein

Zwei

DIE!

1. MJI Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Cheap BDs from Asda

That's the one

7. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Flame

I'm treading on really cliché territory...

but I'd nominate Star Wars: Episode 2 as one of the worst movies ever. It was the only time I have actually walked out of the cinema (and watched it years later on cable tv to confirm it was as bad as I remembered)

There is no saving grace from the terrible acting to the insta-obsolete-looking FX to the suicide inducing script...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: I'm treading on really cliché territory...

Surely episode 2 is the "best" of the 3 prequels? It's got 2 enormous set-piece battles, which take up most of the time, so there's less time for George Lucas' appalling dialogue. They're quite fun. Also it isn't about taxes like the Phantom Morrass. Plus the whole film doesn't hang on Haden Christensen's acting inability, in order to convince you of his motivation to go to the dark side (like the 3rd).

1. Hairless Biker

Re: I'm treading on really cliché territory...

'Caravan of Courage' is truly dreadful. I've managed to avoid 'Battle for Endor'.

In the meantime, may I kindly draw your attention to 'Showgirls'? THE. WORST. SEX. SCENE. EVA!!!!

Also, no-one's mentioned Red Sonja? Arnie's the best actor in it, and he's outshone by the horses...

8. MJI Silver badge

My dry period

I watched a lot in the 80s, rental tapes by the ton.

Then they dried up in early 90s.

So watched TV instead.

Then late 90s a shiny new format appeared. So I bought them, I got addicted, over 200 DVDs here!

9. Swarthy
    Alert

Not bad movies, but a marathon I shant live down

One evening watching movies with a friend, the lineup was Apocalypse Now, Brazil, and The Wall. There were no recreational pharmaceuticals in use, and no boozahol.. but Damn did my head get bent that night.

The Fiend wanted to end the night with Memento but the movie wouldn't play.

10. HairyHaggisKeeper
    Facepalm

From the depths of filmdom I give you

"Hercules in New York"

A film thrown together for no other purpose than for Arnie to flex his pecks... we didn't even get to hear his own voice - they dubbed it out.

Complete drivel. IMHO of course....

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: From the depths of filmdom I give you

You should watch the cut with the original Arnie Dialogue. The fact that he couldn't really speak English at that point* makes it more fun.

*I know, he's not much better now

11. rcp27

Computer Games Movies

You could pick pretty much any attempt. There has never been a good movie-of-the-game. While the better known examples like Super Mario Bros, Tomb Raider and Doom are pretty dire, the worst I have encountered would have to be the Wing Commander movie.

1. Donkey Molestor X

Re: Computer Games Movies

One of the most favorable reviews I've ever heard of the Wing Commander movie came from a friend's girlfriend after we left the theater: "I haven't slept so well in a long time!" Now I'm getting wistful thinking of pre-terrible-cosmetic-surgery Saffron Burrows who was in that pile of dreck with Matthew Lillard and Freddie Prinze Jr. What might've been but for some body image issues. Sigh.

2. dogged

In The Name Of The King, an Uwe Boll take on Dungeon Siege starring Jason Statham, Ray Liotta and Burt Motherfucking Reynolds as the King in question.

I saw the cast and the title on EPG but had no idea it was a game-movie or that darling Uwe was involved.

Jesus H Corbett, that was bad.

1. OzBob

"Jesus H. Corbett"

Actually with that beard of his, I see your point.

1. MJI Silver badge

I reckon the new Ratchet & Clank movie may be OK.

Film scriptwriter wrote the games.

The voice actors are the game voice actors.

The game studio is heavily involved.

2. dogged

> Actually with that beard of his, I see your point.

I'm not suggesting that Jesus had his hand up Sooty's arse but....

3. Richard Taylor 2

Have to say I enjoyed tomb raider. Having said that the vast majority of my cinema experiences have been on all to frequent transatlantic flights. deadens the critical skills.

4. Teiwaz

I disagree on a few points.

+ Resident Evil

+ (quite liked) Silent Hill

+ Tomb Raider (not too bad, especially if you are an Indianna Jones fan)

You're mostly right thiough, especially Doom & Red Faction (not even sure that WAS based on the game)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Resident Evil starts off okay but by four and five turns into Excrement Drivel. They never happened.

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
          Thumb Up

It depends... the 2 CGI Resident Evil made by Capcom are quite fun... I'd go as far as to say that the second one (RE: Degeneration) is actually good, that is if you like the games' characters* and enjoy their crazy plots: in short, if you're a fan of the games, these movies are highly entertaining (and you'll know to steer clear of the Mila Jovovich vehicles...)

Any other videogame movie, with the possible exception of Silent Hill, falls squarely in the list of worst-ever

*Leon S. Kennedy rocks

2. sisk

Resident Evil starts off okay but by four and five turns into Excrement Drivel.

They made 5? Don't tell my wife, please, especially if they're bad. I've been subjected to the first three so many times that any good qualities they may have once had have faded and been replaced with "Oh hell, not this again!"

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Not all are completely bad.

POP: SOT was quite a good fun to watch.

Then, while it's not official in any way, but the Children of Men borrows many scenes directly from Half-Life 2 and is an excellent movie...

12. Richard Ball

Spawn. Only film I've ever walked out of.

Scream 2. Where I learnt what it is to knowingly not care who did it or what's supposed to be happening.

13. alexmcm

The English Patient

Can't even remember the plot now. But it went on and on and on, and the girl I was with was crying at it and I was falling asleep. Jeez one of the most miserable soul destroying nights/films ever. Felt like it was 3 hours long... oh it was...

1. Richard Ball

Re: The English Patient

The trouble with The English Patient was the hype. I was taken by girlfriend and I had never heard of it so had no expectations and I quite enjoyed it. In a bored and confused sort of way.

14. envmod

Battlefield Earth is definitely on my list... A more recent addition to it would be "A Good Day To Die Hard" - anyone seen that? Terrible terrible film...

1. HelpfulJohn

"AGDTDH" is better than "DH4.0" if only for the science. I loved their "anti-radiation" foam or whatever it was.

Though the girl who betrayed Daddy, only to not do so, was a rather unconvincing character. Actually, the only truly convincing character was the power-plant at Chernobyl. But it was still better than "4.0".

15. THMONSTER

Transformers : age of extinction

I so wanted to walk out of this movie but damn it, I had paid for the uncomfortable chair and I was going to damn well use it.

(need a burning poop icon)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I haven't seen most of the films mentioned above (aside from Armageddon - pretty bad) but the film of The High Crusade was dreadful (note to film makers - sometimes the funniest way to film the book is to play it straight! What made the book funny was that the overall situation was so ludicrous (mediaeval English vs advanced aliens) and yet credible, the way it was described. Dune was worse though. IMHO.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gravity

This was the last film that made me actually angry. Specifically, the bit where Sandra Bullock has a toehold on some cables attached to the space station and she's holding onto George Clooney. All she had to do was slowly contract her body and they would both have drifted to the station and been able to grab onto something.

And yet.

In the film George Clooney is being pulled away from the station by a force that is at right-angles to anything we know. When Sandra lets go, that same mysterious force sends George whistling off into the darkness. Considering the film is called Gravity, you would have thought that somebody would have looked up what that is at some point.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Gravity

I think the force in question was Gerorgie's manager pulling him away lest they got for free a few seconds of Clooney's precious shooting time in excess of the contractual provisions...

18. Finder Keeper

Speed 2

Never gets out of 2nd gear.

19. MJI Silver badge

I should not have

Worst ones on Wikipedia

Freddy Got Fingered

So bad I had forgotten it existed

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edit:

Actually asked for my rental money back and did not watch it all, just total shit

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon