back to article The Windows 8 dilemma: Win 8 or wait for 9?

News has started to circulate about the next version of Windows 8.1 – namely update 2 – and even "Windows 9". Whether or not it bears the name Windows 9, the next major "wave of updates", codenamed Threshold is due to land on our desktops and mobes later on this year. The upcoming refresh, we’re told, will see lots of new …

Re: Are you sure?

It seems that you are the one not working in IT if go around telling that everyone is going Win8.x to be so productive and happy with it...

Long winded search

"On a non-Update 1 system, searching meant you had to swipe your finger in from the right edge of the screen to start the process, or hover your mouse over the lower-right hand corner of the screen and then move the cursor up to the Search box to type in your query."

Yeah, or you could just press Start on your keyboard and immediately start typing what you're searching for! Why faff around hovering over things with your mouse etc, especially on a system with a keyboard?

I'll admit it's nice to have an actual search box on the Start screen, but purely because the idea of just typing without putting the cursor somewhere does blow some users minds.

Silver badge

Re: Long winded search

>I'll admit it's nice to have an actual search box on the Start screen, but purely because the idea of just typing without putting the cursor somewhere does blow some users minds.

I encountered this style of UI back in the 1980's...

We were having problems getting a system to boot and over the phone walked through the start up sequence with the experts who couldn't understand why the system wasn't booting until one said the immortal words "you did type 'GO' ". It then transpired that when the screen went blank we were supposed to type 'G' 'O' <return> ... (NB. note also the use of capitals!)

Silver badge
FAIL

Excited for the update

I look forward to the next update to Windows 8 - when I got 8.1 it killed my wireless card in a way that has -as yet- to be fixed by either the maker or by Microsoft. It is certified as Windows Compatible, though, so I guess I must be imagining the constant network dropouts as must all the other users of the same card. Probably our own fault for having a computer that uses a part from an obscure manufacturer like Intel, I guess.

I can't wait to see what essential parts of my system stop working with the next "update" - maybe the screen? Or the keyboard? It's like a special lottery.

Fortunately I'm not doing much Windows development at the moment so I just run Mint on the machine most of the time. It seems to work fine...

Anonymous Coward

M$ suicide mission continues

It looks like M$ are either trying to commit financial suicide or trying to shake the M$ loyal holdouts into buying Win8 by say that's it's not going to improve any time soon.

Win8 is a disaster and it looks like they'll be pushing that same steaming pile of GUI onto Win9.

Anonymous Coward

From the Company who brought us 'user features' such as 'Trusted Computing'

-Well I'm all done. I've had enough of Microsoft.. From here on, it will be something else... But before I'm tagged an MS hater, take note I'm a MS certified developer with a couple of decades experience. But I've had enough. Remember this is the company that brought us 'Trusted Computing' as a user feature!... Moreover, lack of any real customization of the windows build to something more to my taste, and ongoing user behavior monitoring, are major deal breakers for me, see below...

-All MS ever do is break things, or rob someone else's ideas. They never actually innovate, except in a limited corporate sense perhaps... All I want now is a machine that fucking works. I want a custom build, one that re-sellers just don't offer anymore, if they ever really did....

-I want WinVNC, that plays everything, not something that doesn't, or gets in the way. Plus enough about big media DRM and spying on user activity in MS Media Players please.

-I want a browser that isn't IE, but that I don't have to install manually every time, overriding the hidden plug-in defaults which can take an age. who has time to disable all the crap in 'Run without Permission'... Has anyone ever written about why Skype and Adobe and Google hide in there?

-Don't install MS Office again, if its going to be a fucking useless trial, phoning home to Redmond and constantly nagging me to put everything into the CloudFog...

-Preferably I want an open Office suite, more than one, and installed by default......

-I want an image viewer & editor that does what it says on the tin, no more...

-What I don't want is stealthy sneaky user behavior monitoring that sleep in Scheduled Tasks, hidden IE plug-ins, silently invoked Registry Run commands, difficult to disable DLLhost calls... and tricky to stop Services etc ... I wonder how many people apart from developers really know about all of these??? Enough already MS!

Anonymous Coward

The type of M$ FUBAR that's unforgivable :-

"Prior to this upgrade, when you're were on the desktop view of a Windows 8.1 device, you couldn't open apps through the desktop mode view but instead had to switch to the Metro-style application view."

Silver badge
FAIL

Having bought a Windows 8.1 laptop with a touch screen a few months ago I can honestly say I detest Windows 8.1. I've used every Microsoft operating system since the early days of DOS. Even after downloading a third party start button and applying all the patches and "upgrades" it is still the user interface from hell.

Windows 8.1 update has now imploded too. It gives a dumb error message about being unable to get any updates - but every time I turn the computer on it badgers me that there are updates available. I've had no luck attempting to repair the updater - system restore hasn't fixed it. Microsoft's Windows update repair tool claims to have found and fixed problems but Windows update is still dead in the water. Online help is less than helpful to solve the problem and various people suggest completely different solutions, none of which work. So it is now becoming unsafe to use the computer online as it is not patching itself and is thus at risk from malware.

So my new Windows 8.1 laptop is now effectively at the end of its "useful" life after only a few months!

My solution... I'm going to delete Windows 8.1 and install Kubuntu. Microsoft can shove Windows 8.1 and (Windows 9 when it comes out) where the sun doesn't shine. I'm finally done with Microsoft's crappy operating systems.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Win 8.1 my old nemesis....

So they have given us back the ability to click a red cross in a non-resizable app to shut it down. Obviously no one at MS has the task bar at the top of the screen set to auto-hide as I do. They have also removed the grab from top and sweep down to close the app on desktop mode. Can you see the issue I am having? Yep if I want to close an app first my auto-hide taskbar gets in the way, then the charms on the top right get in the way and finally I might be able to click the red cross.......

This is a sign of progress.......

I had just got used to win 8 - now win 8.1 has put me back to square one. Yes I could have the task bar on the bottom but I have it at the bottom for my work PC (that I remote into) so I can easily tell the difference on which machine I am on at anyone time.

Silver badge
Go

Windows and Star Trek Movies?

Only the Odd numbered versions are good?

Eventually settled on 8.1

I built a new PC six months ago. Long time Windows 7 user

I initially flirted with OSX, but could not get the thing perfectly stable and half the free apps I use were not available and couldn't use my paid for apps. Also the auto indexing would kill the Sata channels when indexing the SSD, causing the system to freeze until it finished (also and issue with windows 8/8.1)

Then I flirted with Linux (Mint), too many config options in too many different places and I just find the Gui an unpleasant experience, then there was the endless command line commands required to get certain apps working. And I couldn't use my Windows paid for apps.

I could have gone back to windows 7, but had a copy of Windows 8 lying around, installed and upgraded to 8.1

I use the system mainly in desktop mode (icons on the screen and in the task bar), with two monitors. And to be honest my workflow has not changed a bit compared to windows 7. If I do require apps that are not on the desktop, I don't really care if I find it on a full screen Start Menu or the little one as in Windows 7.

However I did do a quick install of windows 7 to see if there were any performance differences.

Windows 8.1 does perform between 5% to 10% better compared to 7.

A Genuine Touch-Based Desktop

Touch would work just fine if your entire desktop -- not the computer-screen image, but your actual, honest-to-god top of your desk -- was itself a touch-sensitive display screen. I'm thinking here of the original Tron movie, where the boss had this nice big, fancy desk where computer images would appear on it (including the full-size keyboard). In the real world, you might want a desktop that tilted to 45 degrees, though.

But what I'd really like to see is a command-line interface capable of understanding whatever you typed in. If it couldn't understand you, it would ask in plain, simple, obvious language. Then it would remember, so in the end you'd be using your own personal shortcuts every day. The bonus here is that nobody else could use your computer under your login, because after a while, the server would be able to tell the difference between your warped mind and someone else's. There are times when I find typing things into a command line a whole lot easier than figuring out a bunch of @#&%#* little pictures and non-intuitive finger swipes.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

The WIndows XP dilemma

- Should you stick with XP?

- Should you upgrade to 2000?

- Should you upgrade to Vista?

- Should you upgrade to 7?

- Should you wait for Windows 9?

Errrrrr

Windows 8.1 "Update" [as named by Microsoft and not "Update 1" has been out for 3 months. Now you're showing off?

That said, in a month will be "Update 2" but only minor enhancements.

A possible "Update 3" may come out sometime early next year. Either that release or Windows 9 will feature a full Start menu - very similar to Window 7, but the right side of the menu ["Documents", "Pictures", etc.] will use Windows tiles.

I'm OK with Windows 8.1

I hated Win8 when I first tried it, spent about three days cursing the thing and not getting much done, before I went back to Win7.

Seeing as I support people with computers, and the majority of people with new computers are getting Win8, I thought I had better try it again so I at least can do a decent job of supporting the people that put some money in my pocket, so I went to Win8, but this time I installed Classic Shell/Start.

Not ecstatic or anything with it, but it gets the job done. With Classic Shell/Start, I boot straight to the desktop and use it pretty much like Windows 7. I get an OS that is more up-to-date security-wise, slightly better performance (nothing to complain about there). Basically never see or use the modern/metro interface unless I absolutely have to, which is fairly infrequent. I don't use the apps or app store as I install and use proper desktop programs.

As an OS should be, it is largely something I spend next to no time thinking about, it is something that is required to run the programs I want to use. As long as it does that and stays out of my way, then I am OK with it.

Anonymous Coward

To be fair....

" If you’re using Windows 8.1 on a tablet or a touch-enabled device, you won't spot much in the way of difference."

Well, that's sorta not the point of the upgrade.

What dilemma?

Simply sit tight on Windows 7 and wait and see if Windows 8 is a piece of crap. If so, then keep sitting tight with Windows 7. End of Story. Q.E.D.

Silver badge

Re: What dilemma?

Would tend to agree. The vast majority of enterprise (and government) is either already on 7 or will be in the coming year. It is unlikely that any large company is considering a wholesale refresh particularly since Windows 7 Pro won't go off support until Jan 2020 and because of their volume licensing are not in the market.

If 8.1u2 does arrive and does provide a better desktop experience and slots straight into a Win7 infrastructure then we could expect to see some enterprises also deploying Win8 tablets etc. in response to particular business needs. The worrying thing is that the author of the article states "I work for a large enterprise with thousands of users globally, and for testing purposes, installed the update on a Surface Pro tablet and on a traditional HP desktop." but provides no feedback whatsoever on how Win8 does play in a Win XP/Win7 enterprise.

The question with a release of Win9 rumoured to be pencilled in for April 2015, is whether MS will do to 8 what they did with XP and held of changes for commercial reasons so as to include them in Vista/7 as a means of encouraging sales...

Win9 should be codenamed Amnesia

I can't think of another company which has so totally forgotten the basic business premises of keeping your customers happy and building on your successes.

That's probably because only their dominant market position has prevented Microsoft from going to the wall like all other companies that forget.

I remember looking forward to new versions of Windows because each one did stuff better, more easily that the one before ... Win3.11 ... Win95 ... NT/Win2000 ... WinXP ... and then Microsoft forgot who they were, where they were going and, most importantly, why.

Perhaps if they call Win9 Amnesia, it will act as a constant reminder.

research and deploy

I took the time to test windows 8 before we deployed them at my company I used classic shell to give back the start button and to skip the metro screen and to disable the hot corners. once that was done my users never knew it was windows 8 until they had to login.

BUT the upgrade to 8.1 which you had to do to get security and OS updates. now that was a mess each computer had to visit the Microsoft store and do a 4gig download what a mess especially when one failed several times I had to search the knowledge base to find out why eventually running the windows update repair tool (yea keep that in your mind you may need it someday) after download 5 it worked

Well there are more and more professional apps being developed as cleints for their desktops versions that can utilize mobility and GPS type applcations. Window 8.1 doesn't force anyone to use a desktop or Metro mode. It does allow the user the choice. It departments can lock the desktop down in the business environment. Most people's jobs aren'tr dependent on the OS but they are dependent on the software they use to do their job. Training is minimal sind the desktop will be configured with all the same apps that the used under XP but the 64 bit versions.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018