back to article We need to talk about SPEAKERS: Sorry, 'audiophiles', only IT will break the sound barrier

Today’s loudspeakers are nowhere near as good as they could be, due in no small measure to the presence of "traditional" audiophile products. In the future, loudspeakers will increasingly communicate via digital wireless links and will contain digital processing. Indeed, the link between IT and loudspeakers is destined to grow …

Page:

1. Steve Todd

Re: todays encoding sucks

What, all those lossless 16 and 24 bit FLAC files are no good? Nor are the 256K VBR AAC audio files you can get from many sources? I think you're over-generalising.

1. jzlondon

Gosh, what a lot of armchair scientists in the comments section today.

2. Mark2410

Waaaaaah!!!!!

Waaaaahhhh!!!! why doesnt everyone want perfectly accurate sound reproduction, its not fair, its not fair i tell you!!!!!!

Sadly while much could be done to increase the accuracy of audio reproduction thats not what people want. Just look at the money Apple just paid for Beats. Beats as headphones go suck, they are exceedingly expensive junk with a spectacularly flavoured sound but its what people want.

This article is the aural equivalent of arguing we should all want perfectly nutritionally balance food pellets rather than the vast array of culinary delights we choose to partake of.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Waaaaaah!!!!!

This article is the aural equivalent of arguing we should all want perfectly nutritionally balance food pellets rather than the vast array of culinary delights we choose to partake of.

I would rather think it argues you can have perfectly good stuff in the digital processing arena for cheap while people with extremely expensive rigs are barely approaching the bronze age, with all the superstition you would expect.

3. DaemonProcess

another angle

Nice article encouraging thought. I would only argue with one little point made about the amount of information in a CD being greater than that which speakers can re-produce. Based on my own experience in my music studio when I connect my cheap headphones directly through my budget amplifier to my professional microphone I can turn the volume right up and simply not be able to hear myself talking into my own ears - the reproduction through the system is so perfect because it is so un-touched. But when I record what I say at 16bit/44.1Khz PCM and play it back at that volume it blows my ears off. My advice for those people who want excellent reproduction is therefore to avoid the hi-fi shop/magazines and look at professional music production equipment, starting with studio monitors and a small mixing desk which can both be bought at a fraction of the cost of a high-end amp and speakers. Then spend the rest of your money on clean power and good quality source - preferably live and real.

1. TkH11

Re: another angle

As someone that's gone down the professional equipment route, using active monitors, I have to agree with you DaemonProcess.

4. Vinyl-Junkie

If audio position image is so dependent on speaker timing, how come changing the motor in my Linn LP12 (exchanged Valhalla powered AC one as supplied for an Origin DC one) with no other changes whatsoever to my system resulted in much better stereo imaging?

1. phuzz Silver badge

The same way my uncle was able to have his appendix out only using acupuncture to dull the pain.

Did that really happen?

1. Vinyl-Junkie

The Linn thing did, I don't know about his uncle! And it wasn't a case of placebo (which is what I presume is being implied) because I wasn't expecting a change in any aspect of the sound from a motor change. Linns have long had a reputation for slightly "fuzzy" stereo imaging straight out the box (which mine pretty well was, albeit that box had been opened some years earlier as mine was secondhand) but it was something I was happy to live with for the rest of the sound. The reasons for upgrading were a) I wanted to play the extensive collection of 45RPM material I own (much of it containing tracks otherwise unreleased on vinyl) and b) the temperatures being achieved by the Linn Valhalla power supply with which my Linn was fitted (which were less Valhall and more Gotterdamerung!). I was not going to fork out the ridiculous money Linn wanted for a Lingo, so opted for the Origin DC conversion as a budget alternative, back in about 2003. I was surprised to find on listening following the upgrade how much more precise the stereo imaging was.

I was genuinely curious at to why, if as the author says, stereo imaging is dependent on speaker timing why a motor upgrade should make a noticeable difference?

2. Steve Todd

Obviously for the same reason that

running a green felt tip around the outside of a CD makes it sound better. Mostly because you think it does. There's probably some effect to the wow and flutter of the source, but high end HiFi folk can rarely spot the difference with their treasured improvement in a blind A-B-X test.

1. Vic

Re: Obviously for the same reason that

There's probably some effect to the wow and flutter of the source

There isn't.

The data on a CD is reproduced in a synchronous fashion. Any variation in the rate at which it is read from the physical disk is compensated by a small buffer.

Vic.

1. TkH11

What's more important is the stability of the clock in the system, feeding data to the DAC's as this will effect the linearity of the output.

1. Vic

What's more important is the stability of the clock in the system

Absolutely so. That's why green felt-tip pen around the edge of the CD can have no effect whatsoever on the wow and flutter.

Which is what I said...

Vic.

3. TkH11

It's not just about timing, it's also about amplitude.

When a sound source is in front of you, not only do yuo get a small timing difference as the wavefronts of the sound hit your ears, but the amplitude is slightly different too.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Tim99 Silver badge

Is it Enjoyable?

I thought that audiophile kit had two main purposes.

The first, as already mentioned, is to impress other audiophiles. This is not new. Listen to a "Song of Reproduction", Flanders and Swann, 1957 - YouTube Link.

The other is to sound enjoyable, or at least impressive, to the audiophile (almost always male) and his friends. When I was younger, and green in judgement, I bought a pair of Koss Electrostatic headphones to go with my Linn LP12/Naim 250 system. They sounded very accurate, had great specifications, and certainly looked the part, but did not give any feeling of engagement in the music. My apparenltly far too small Linn Kan speakers were fabulous to listen to and, in my normal sized living room, almost nobody noticed that they were lacking in bass - We just enjoyed the music.

I am now old and broken, but still remember how good the direct-to-disk Sheffield Lab recording of Thelma Houston/Pressure Cooker sounded through my old kit.

1. Vinyl-Junkie

Re: Is it Enjoyable?

And that surely is the point. If you actually spend time listening to music (i.e. minimal distractions and your attention focussed on the music rather than as background to your walk/drive/computer game/whatever)) then you want it to sound as good as possible for the money you have available. That, to my my mind, is the definition of an audiophile and does not deserve the perjorative use that the author has given it.

I do still enjoy sitting down and just listening to albums, be it alone, with my wife or with friends. For that reason I have built a system over the years that fulfills my needs but has not cost the earth. No component has been bought on its specs but because I have tested it and found a difference that justifies the price tag. I have a Linn LP12 because my primary source is vinyl, having been collecting for years before the CD came along, and I simply haven't heard a turntable that matches it. I bought secondhand, and spent some extra on upgrading the motor because of known issues with the Valhalla power supply and the fact I wanted to be able to play singles on it. I did not go for a Lingo because I would not have been able to justify that sort of spend to myself, never mind anyone else! I invested in a decent secondhand Naim CD player when the opportunity came along because my CD collection was growing, and the Linn was definitely outperforming the budget player I had; now the sources are about on a par. The amp is a Yamaha, and does a superb job; it was meant to be a stop-gap but I have no cause to replace it.

Hifi investment is a classic example of the law of diminishing returns; a £500 turntable probably will sound 10x better than a £50 one, but a £5000 will probably only sound 10% better than the £500 one (if that!). If you really can tell the difference, and have the money, then you should by all means buy that super piece of kit, but don't buy it because of the specs, or the price tag!

1. jaywin

Re: Is it Enjoyable?

> That, to my my mind, is the definition of an audiophile and does not deserve the perjorative use that the author has given it.

It's not really the author who has coined the perjorative use, it's the "audiophile" industry that has caused it themselves.

So much of the market aimed at audiophiles is taken up by conmen, liars and frauds that the entire industry has gained a big black mark. And the big problem is the people who have been conned into paying £500 for a 1m twin phono cable are unwilling to admit they've been conned, and continue to perpetuate the myths.

You could just describe yourself as a hifi enthusiast - that hasn't attracted the same negativity.

6. TeeCee Gold badge

Er...what?

With the advent of the Compact Disc, the bottleneck became the loudspeaker.

Personally I reckon the source that really shines a glaring searchlight on inadequate speakers is analogue-mastered vinyl....

I have previously related around here the tale of a mate who spent a small fortune on new HiFi kit, only to have me cast aspersions on his right speaker. He had the speakers biwired and had left the links on the right-hand one. After fixing this small configuration problem everything sounded right, but he couldn't tell the difference!

The first thing you need in an audiophile setup is audiophile ears.......

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Er...what?

Another example: when I was working for the BBC, back in the eighties, I was asked to arrange a blind cable test for the local hifi club.

A fine time was had by all - particularly by me, since one of the cables they listened to was 13A mains flex with a one home resistor in one leg paralleled by a 1N4001 diode.

Not one of them noticed. Indeed, they couldn't agree which cable they preferred.

1. Jim Wilkinson

Spell checker alert - "one home resistor" -> "one ohm resistor". Quite amusing bug though :)

Where on earth did that come from? Fingers going faster than brain, absence of review before post, memory of 'an ohm is the place an amp lives'...

Sorry!

2. M_W

I remember a pretty famous audiophile magazine doing a blind cable test. They tested all kinds of exotic cables - but the source material and hardware all stayed the same - just the cables were swapped.

The winner?

It was B&Q 13A solid copper mains Twin and Earth - the bog standard 1.5mm stuff.

You'd be surprised how many BBC loudspeakers are wired with 2-core mains cable... as long as the cable has sufficiently low resistance, it doesn't matter whether it came from B&Q or rolled on the golden thighs of virgins.

In my humble non-golden-eared opinion, of course.

1. M_W

Do the BBC still use Rogers LS3/5a speakers?

It did when I left in 2010. And LS5/8 too.

7. Jim Lewis

I was thinking of a digital speaker solution only yesterday so this is timely.

Given that the time information is at issue here I was wondering whether dedicated speakers for each instrument might not be more practical. These could be either designed only to reproduce certain instruments (separate designs for violin, cello, guitar etc.) or be modified in their output through software depending on the use case.

Each speaker, (say typically four for a pop band or chamber orchestra) would recieve a digital stream time synced to each of the other streams. As the speakers themselves could be placed as desired the effect for the listener would be much more directional without the need for stereo capture/reproduction.

IE each instrument is recorded as a mono source, but the physical spacing of the individual speakers provides the reproduction of the sound space.

It might be more practical to arrange a number of panel speakers across a wall and assign them as required to allow maximum configurability with minimal physical intrusion.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Herby

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

Wonderful article. Even some good science. Time accuracy is important, and many of the first CD recordings did not have reasonable phase-linear input filters, and were noted as being "blurry" at the high end. As we generate sound from our computer sound cards, typically the "5.1" system, the low frequency is made to be non-directional by design. Good accurate transducers wouldn't need such band-aids.

As for "audiophiles" (audio-fools), they seem to be members of a mutual admiration society, and to enter the "club" they need to spend lots, without thinking about it. When they start talking about multi dollar mains cords and the "unidirectional" connections, I just want to puke. Put a bunch of them in a room and do double blind tests, and they will only give excuses (while they pick the inexpensive amplifier as being the best). What you see advertised boggles the mind. I don't know if the marketeers actually believe in the products, or are laughing all the way to the bank. Somehow I suspect the latter. They seem like the over-the-phone psychics I hear on TV.

Life goes on, and educating the audience to "good sound" in an ongoing exercise, often thwarted by those who should know better. (*SIGH*)

10. Scroticus Canis
    Happy

In the day....

Way back (when I was still young and good looking) I was a bit of an audio buff. Decided I wanted the Lecson pre and power amps with the matched Lecson speakers (double 8" woofers internal mounted with rear ports so room corner became the loading horn, stiff bedrexine 5" mid range horn loaded and metal ribbon tweeter dome dissipated). Matched with a direct-drive deck, Sure V-15 cartridge and SME arm. Sounded fantastic.

Managed to find a shop which actually had it all in stock. Got there to find they had a closing down sale so played it hard, each time I asked the price of the individual items (all heavily discounted) the owner got interested and said if I took an entire system he would add 20% more discount. Then I got an extra 15% for cash.

The Austin 1100 was quite top heavy as the speakers had to go on the roof rack, too big to get one on the back seat. Happy day! The neighbours (even two houses away) hated it.

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Hmmm

In the 1970s I read that 50% of your budget should be spent on speakers. Today I would guess that should be more like 90%.

If a sinewave carries no information how is it I can hear it perfectly well?

1. Zot

Re: Hmmm

An audio sine wave carries it's own single frequency, it just doesn't have any other harmonics. It's still moving the air with a pressure wave.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

If a sinewave carries no information how is it I can hear it perfectly well?

You brain will filter it out in 5 minutes. That should tell you something.

(Ok, so it carries amplitude, frequency, and arguably phase. But what of it?)

1. DiViDeD

"You(r) brain will filter it out in 5 minutes. That should tell you something"

Yes. It does the same for Justin Bieber too, although it doesn't always take as long as 5 minutes.

Especially if I'm standing anywhere near the power switch.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can hear it perfectly well, but what is it telling you? If it turns on and off, there is a period when there are a whole lot of other frequencies, at the start and end of each pulse; it isn't a pure sine wave any more.

It infuriates me because kids are still taught in A level physics that to reproduce a sound with frequencies up to F, you need to sample at 2F, the Nyquist limit. This is bollocks because as you approach the Nyquist limit the information tends to zero, i.e. if all the input sound was at F you would get anything from zero output to a triangle wave, depending on the phase at sampling. If reality is too hard for A level, don't pretend to teach it at A level! - and remind me again about that clever antialiasing filter which has a vertical response at F.

Scope manufacturers used to go in for this creative accountancy too, not good when trying to explain to management that no, even a 1GHz sampling scope could not tell you what was happening at 500MHz unless you were working under very special conditions (i.e. the input signal was invariant, which was exactly the case in which you had no interest.)

> a sound with frequencies up to F,

Yeah yeah but that is evidently the sound with a discrete Fourier decomposition, i.e. the one which repeats forever, infinitely often.

2. A Twig
        Headmaster

"to reproduce a sound with frequencies up to F, you need to sample at 2F, the Nyquist limit"

I believe the actual teaching is "a minimum of 2F to avoid aliasing" - not 2F to reproduce sound accurately...

Although the "minimum" bit tends to get lost usually in the drive to learn and churn formulae...

1. TkH11

If you sample, such as what happens with D to A conversion, then you always get aliasing taking place, (if we're talking about the same kind of aliasing!). Increasing the sampling rate, results in those images being more greatly spaced out in frequency, allowing for anti-aliasing low pass filters to be made of lower order, = fewer components and cheaper cost.

1. Vic

If you sample, such as what happens with D to A conversion, then you always get aliasing taking place

Not so. If your sampling frequency is at least twice the maximum frequency in your input, aliasing cannot take place.

That's not the same as saying that the reproduction will be perfect as long as the Nyquist criterion is achieved - but it isn't aliasing that causes you problems.

Vic.

12. Zot

"Uni-directional oxygen free copper speaker cables"...

...were the most ridiculous things a friend of mine bought.

He said he could tell the difference if he plugged them in the wrong way round.

Everybody else just kept quiet, in full respect of his madness.

He refused to listen when I told him most of the crappy music he's playing on this expensive setup was probably recorded in an average studio using old NS10 speakers.

1. Gravesender

Re: "Uni-directional oxygen free copper speaker cables"...

Oxygen free speaker cables are a myth--it's the crystal-aligned oxygen free mains cables that make all the difference. At least that's what I've heard.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Happy

Re: "Uni-directional oxygen free copper speaker cables"...

"..were the most ridiculous things a friend of mine bought.

He said he could tell the difference if he plugged them in the wrong way round.

Everybody else just kept quiet, in full respect of his madness."

Are you seriously implying that none of you ever reversed the cables when he was out of the room?

13. Mage Silver badge

Transmission Line Bass Reflex speakers

I built a pair. Fantastic frequency response (separate sealed mid range units and horn tweeters). Brilliant Bass.

But complete rubbish to listen to actual music or speech on due to the temporal distortion. Presumably.

It's hard to make decent speakers without a giant sealed box. Murphy of olden days loved giant baffle boards, which is another route. But people don't want speakers larger than their 42" TV.

1. roger stillick
      Happy

Re: Transmission Line Bass Reflex speakers

EV LT-12 loudspeakers were made for transmission line bass reflex enclosures and they were flawless if the cabinets were solid enough (2x12 doug fir sides w/ 3/4 cdx ply front, back, 3 horn baffle board separaters, 2x4 doug fir tapered horn glue blocks )...they were a tapered folded horn transmission line, exit bottom front...

Cabinet = 18in Wide x 30in High x 12in Deep...reflex slot 7 x 14 in, assemble w/bathtub calk and deck screws...RS.

1. roger stillick
        Happy

Re: Transmission Line Bass Reflex speakers, Part 2...

So i forgot that the LT-12's were made to be mated to 35 watt tube type amps like the DYNCO Stereo 70, w/ P-P EL-34 tubes in a Ultra-linear amp setup...

IMHO= today's Hafler type DC amps for the TV room would instantly fry those things... think Infinity Towers / RS Mach-1's... both will handle the full output of a Halfler...and fill an exibit hall w/sound...RS.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Transmission Line Bass Reflex speakers

This very minute, I am listening to Art Blakey on my Murphys. I have two baffle radios wired as speakers and they sound great. These were my poor man's Wharfedale SFB IIIs. Problem is, I just got a pair of SFBs that I'll be restoring. I don't have room for the Murphys and the Wharfedales. Dilemma!

14. BryceP

John's been giving this same lecture for a few years now. I specifically recall an AES lecture a few years ago that has been well catalogued and discussed on various audio engineering forums. It isn't that what he said is in any way controversial, and there seems to be agreement that many aspects of his actual electrical designs are beneficial and sure to be in mainstream speaker design in the coming decades. No, I seem to recall the greatest amount of debate regarding his (slightly controversial) theory that omni-directional speakers eliminate virtually all of the issues that plague traditional speakers and render extensive control room treatment a moot point. He's the only one doing the science, so it isn't exactly like anyone can disprove him.

But I can't help but think that no matter how dogmatic audio design engineers can be - preferring the mechanical design side of things over the electrical engineering - and no matter how much more money they would (likely) make selling $24,000/pair B&W Diamonds over cheaper, yet still high quality alternatives, that if the technology was as proven as John believes that at least _someone_ would have implemented the technology, marketed it, and sold the resulting product to hi-fi consumers and audio engineers alike. Conglomerates love volume sales, so it isn't exactly like there isn't a business market for it.

Only the future will tell which of his predictions and technologies bear out.

1. itzman

I found - and its why I am no longer in the field, that what sells in HiFi is not excellence, but fashion.

15. Slap

Be careful what you ask for.

I've recently had the pleasure of spending a good few hours in a professional recording, mixing, and mastering studio at the invitation of a forum member (not this forum) who got wind that I was screwing around with music as a hobby these days.

I learnt a hell of a lot while I was there, but that's by the by. The thing relevant to this article is this:-

Sitting on axis with top notch studio monitors I was played a vocal piece and it literally and I mean literally like the singer was there, this was way more convincing than any HIFI setup I've heard and I've heard some topping 50k. The problem was that after 30 mins or so with various musical pieces it became really tiring to listen to, simply because you could hear everything in all detail.

I mentioned this to the guy (a professional producer) and asked him what he used at home. He answered "you're right and I don't use these, you can't use them to enjoy music or a film, they're just too revealing, but they're what we need to do the job". He then mentioned that he uses far cheaper gear at home because it's more enjoyable and more forgiving.

With regards to the article I'm wondering if people really want hyper accurate speakers - I'm sure they think they do, but when the reality dawns that they're simply not that nice to listen to after a half an hour or so then they may regret their purchase.

Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon