back to article Android is a BURNING 'hellstew' of malware, cackles Apple's Cook

Apple CEO Tim Cook took a few minutes of his two-hour keynote at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday morning in San Francisco to stick his thumb in Android's eye. "Over 130 million customers who bought an iOS device in the past 12 months were buying their first Apple device," Cook told the 6,000 developers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Piro Silver badge

I'm not a fan of overly slick experiences that appear to have read my mind, so although I have an Android device, I have a de-bloated custom ROM, plus I've frozen a lot of the Google services (google now, search, etc) using Titanium Backup, as I prefer to search (in Opera Mobile Classic) using DuckDuckGo.

I use XPrivacy to lock down anything that I am even vaguely suspicious of, and I rarely install new things anyway.

My phone has incredible stamina (RAZR MAXX HD) and a great form factor, and I can just dump any files I want onto it or the 32GB microSD card in the side at will (which I regularly do for shuttling large files from work to home).

I don't see what iPhone could do for me, other than cost me more, give me shorter battery life, and force me into an incredibly claustrophobic experience.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What percentage will it be..

..who aren't on the latest version when iOS 8 comes out this year which won't run on the 4, and will probably run like a dog on the 4s?

3. Moosh
    Mushroom

I think customer satisfaction is so high because of the religious zeal that most apple proponents have regarding apple products. Its truly ridiculous. Android users are much more willing to complain about shortcomings, rather than simply accepting mediocrity.

4. James Pickett

"Nearly half of Apple's customers in China during the past six months, he said, switched from Android phones to the iPhone."

What else would they switch from? And how many moved the other way..?

5. Kay Burley ate my hamster

If Apple are so successful...

Why does he feel the need...

6. PaulM 1
    Linux

Buy a Nexus phone to get security updates

This is very true. However, the answer is to buy a Nexus 5 phone for £280 or Nexus 7 tablet for £190. Nexus devices are guaranteed to get all Android security updates. The new Google Silver branding program will overcome this issue. Phones will only receive Google Silver certification if they run standard Android.

7. hoola Silver badge

Twaddle....

If it works & does what you want it to do then it is irrelevent what the device is. How often have you updated some softwarebecause the culture is that you must have the latest, only for it to then be a pain in the backside.

The main issue with Smartphones and Apple stuff in particular is that the physcal object is a status symbol. It it immaterial whether it actually works or does what you need it to do. My Father-in-law was persuaded to replaced an aging Motorola v3 (that worked perfectly) with an iPhone. He could not drive it and as far as he was concerned it was a waste of money. Compared to the v3:

Battery life - rubbish

Use as a phone - very poor reception on the same network

Usablity - unusable, too many slide to this press this hold something else and it doing things that unrelated to his primary requirement.

All he needed was a basic mobile phone that made phone calls. That is what many people want but the "smartphone" Android/iOS is pushed rentlesslyto the exclulsion of common sense.

1. PC1512

Re: Twaddle....

So your father in law bought an expensive smartphone he didn't need, couldn't work it, and now it's us that have to learn common sense?

Non-smartphones are still available, and cheap. Buy one if that's what you want. If you think I'm going to give up my iPhone because you're too daft to appreciate it, think again.

1. elaar

Re: Twaddle....

The problem is, he probably asked people for recommendations (knowing very little about the technology himself) and the Apple brigade (like Cook) told him how much better his life would be with an iphone, hence his purchase :)

8. sisk

Stop the presses!

Apple CEO slams a rival that's trouncing them in the market! In other news, the sun is expected to rise tomorrow morning.

9. Stevie

Bah!

No problem! Just recode the next Android release in Swift (no, not that one, the new one that will Save The World).

10. Toothpick

What amazes me....

... is that the headline has the word "Apple" in it, and the story is actually about Apple.

11. tommydokc

cooking the facts to suit his stew

well, seems to me that Cook is making up "facts" to pander to his biased audience. I would like to see the actual facts to back up his statements, if they do indeed exist, which i highly doubt. he's a plutocrat leading his shareholders blindly down the path. i see no innovation or thinking differently on the horizon for apple under his command. basically everything the "new" iOS 8 has implemented seems to already been standard on Android for some time now. glad to see they're "innovating" and catching up. what's up for ios9? a choice of browsers perhaps? ooh the ios users must be drooling over that update why they stave away their pennies to camp out to get that innovative piece of kit.

1. PC1512

Re: cooking the facts to suit his stew

Yeah, your own lack of bias and slavish adherence to "facts" is really shining through like a beacon there.

12. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

"...to as many customers as possible."

"One of the reasons that iOS has such high customer satisfaction, he said – citing a 97 per cent satisfaction rating in a survey conducted by ChangeWave Research – "is that we make available our software updates for the OS available to as many customers as possible..."

...by forcibly shoving their goddamn' bug-ridden updates down the pipe to my phone whether I want them or not.

An installer for IOS 7.1x is still sitting on my 4S waiting for me to run it and download the update -- and will continue to sit there for the foreseeable future until Apple gets off its ass and does something about the battery-draining bug which has been plaguing users who unwittingly updated from IOS 7.0. The fact that you can't delete that steaming plopper easily sure doesn't endear me to them, either.

I got to watch my wife working her 4S after installing the 7.1x update. Cripes, what a mess. It's like watching Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Protip for fellow iPhone users, if you haven't figured it out yet: if you turn off WiFi, Apple can't shove the whole fat, wheezing load of update down to gobble up space on your phone -- just the installer.

13. DrXym

And in other news

Freedom comes with risks sometimes. I'd rather a device which lets me choose what software I want to install on my device than one that doesn't. Sure, that means morons will install "sexy girl screensaver" which wants to dial phone numbers, or whatever.

For me it means I can choose to use a different browser, dialler, bittorrent client, emulator or anything else that is regularly or outright banned from Apple's store.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SSL?

at least my Android device has always known how to trust/verify a certificate presented by an HTTP server and didn't have a big 'own me' hole :/

GOTO FAIL indeed ;-)

1. PC1512

Re: SSL?

Let's hope it's not one of the many hit by the Heartbleed bug instead, eh.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apples and Oranges?

Apple are a single company making one set of devices for one OS.

How many companies make and fork Android? Is the graph the same for Google (sponsored/backed) only sets? Or for say one particular brand of Android phone?

I can easily show the average set of cars not Ford are not as good as a Ford. But I'd be hard put saying and average Ford is better than a Ferrari. But just as with Android and iOS, there are benefits and drawbacks for each. :P

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

numbers....numbers

"130 million customers who bought an iOS device in the past 12 months were buying their first Apple device" - and over 300 million customers who bought an iOS device in the past 12 months were buying their first Android device...

..and how many of THOSE were switching FROM Apple because of the same reasons Cook? eh? ;-)

17. TReko

Apple just keeps things quiet

How will you know if you have malware on your iPhone? It is a closed system, and hard to analyse. Apple was bugging everyone's location for years before being discovered.

There have been large numbers of people in the last week in New Zealand and Australia who had ransomware on their iPhones. No mention of that from Cook.

1. gkroog
      Big Brother

Re: Apple just keeps things quiet

Indeed, Apple will have been silenced by the national security letter they were shown from disclosing what malware the NSA is pushing into their systems to spy on everyone with.

18. thexfile
    Trollface

Apple tried to patent the letter i. A judge had to strike that one down.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Frankly I'm not surprised about the majority of switchers coming from China.

1. It's a big country. More people = more sales

2. Google keeps getting blocked so you have to rely on Chinese providers for apps & content. Apple very kindly agree to the Chinese authorities censorship rules and so don't get blocked.

3. Siri is pretty useful when used in Chinese, if you've ever tried typing in Chinese you'll understand why speaking is often quicker.

4. iPhone was a status symbol and so many people buy it as they want that status. However, I doubt that is a sustainable business model here due to the way trends change so quickly. Particularly as Chinese brands get better such as Xiaomi & Huawei.

20. Ben Rosenthal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole now just links to this statement.

21. elaar

If you have an OS that has (or tries to have) the ability to work on a variety of different phones from a variety of different manufacturers then inherently there will be more issues.

I am more than willing to accept this as it gives me more choice, rather than being restricted to a few phones.

For Cook to claim IOS users have a better life because of this, just shows what a tit he is.

22. gkroog

Tim Cook has confused which of Apple's competition to focus on.

I have a Google Nexus 4. I get the latest version of Android not long after it becomes available. I'm on KitKat right now. Manufacturers like Samsung will take longer as they want to test and develop it to their liking first. And they'll only push it out to some handsets and not others.

Of course, Mr. Cook doesn't care about that kind of specificity. He wants to say that Android is rubbish, use iOS on a shiny new iDevice. I have nothing untoward in my Android experience to pay much attention though. And if I changed, it wouldn't be to Apple. I've used one. I don't like it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like