back to article I QUIT: Mozilla's anti-gay-marriage Brendan Eich leaps out of door

Brendan Eich has stepped down as CEO of Firefox-maker Mozilla Corporation – after it emerged he controversially backed a ballot measure that outlawed same-sex marriage in California. In a blog post on Thursday, Mozilla cofounder and executive chairwoman Mitchell Baker wrote that Eich's decision was voluntary and that he made …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Re: Baker quits Mozilla as well

If it wasn't thus before, it is now. Hadn't you heard? Corporations are people now (the Supremos said so). By that standard, Mozilla shows itself to be a homophobic bigot bent on bullying an oppressed minority.

Silver badge

Aren't we all quitting Mozilla in favour of IE?

The more we support Windows the more money BGates has to donate to good causes

Anonymous Coward

Trevor, don't be a dumbass. Do you or do you not regularly stick your penis into a vagina? If yes, then you are acting out your anit-homosexual bigotry. You need to be more accommodating and take penis into your ass as well. Be careful how you tread. It's a slippery slope.

So, Trevor, thusly it means that whatever we do today, independent of any possible outcome of our future (that which we cannot see!!), in 6 years time it will hold us to ransom?

Nah, I don't think so :) Common Sense dictates that this cannot be, otherwise our fate is predetermined. And even though I'm Dutch, I don't take the Calvinist approach :)

Also, Trevor, this was not about equal rights, but about gay marriage, which is only a small part of equal rights.

And since gay marriage rights should be universal, my statement is meant on a global scale... And on that scale, I think, pro-gay would still be a minority. If it were not a minority, why are they still fighting for their rights? :) Q.E.D.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Baker quits Mozilla as well @Florida1920

>He is when he's CEO

I never realised the CEO of the company I'm working for took such a personal interest during my hiring process. Maybe I should give him a call and thank him for taking me on.

Gold badge

It's called "tyranny of the minority". A smaller number of influential people can impose their will on society at large, especially if their will is to enforce a now defunct, but previously extant social norm. Poll after poll in first world nations shows majority support for equal rights, including support for gay marriage. Indeed, the bigots are having a harder and harder time getting their way; even notoriously conservative courts are caving to popular pressure and saying that it's illegal to discriminate against gays.

Now, you may personally be a bigot, that's up to you...but the world has moved on. The only bit that should matter to you is whether or not you are willing and able to adapt to the new social reality.

Anonymous Coward

Trevor, you are, as usual, being a tyrant.

Free speech is exactly that: the freedom to speak your mind and express your opinion.

It does not exempt you from any repercussions of expressing or holding that opinion. It is not a right to legislate against those who do not share your opinion.

Those opposed to his appointment are equally free to express their opinion. Mozilla in turn are entirely free to weigh the implications of his opinion on their company and its perception by the community.

Anonymous Coward

Free speech is meaningless if people are afraid to speak out.

Free speech is meaningless without responsibility, Coward.

Then, when I vote at an election, why is it in secret?

Because there are people out there who would seek to do you harm based on who you voted for.

If you feel comfortable advertising your political allegiances to the world, all well and good for you; but if not, then nobody is forcing you to.

Do people on this forum even understand the issue?

Since people are having a great deal of difficulty with this concept, here it is again:

Eich was NOT persecuted for "having an opinion".

He WAS persecuted because he provided material contributions to a cause that actively and willfully hurt a large class of citizens.

Whether you disagree or agree, at least make an effort to understand the situation first!

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Do people on this forum even understand the issue?

so hurting a larger class of citizens, such as the middle class and poor is also wrong ? So when is the campaign against Aynn Rands disciples beginning ?

Silver badge

"so hurting a larger class of citizens, such as the middle class and poor is also wrong ? So when is the campaign against Aynn Rands disciples beginning ?"

Romney/Ryan (a Rand disciple) were soundly defeated in the 2012 presidential election. Sounds like the campaign was well underway back then.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Well, do think you fuckers could stop voting for people who won't stop arresting, legally stealing from, even imprisoning others for smoking dope?

Silver badge
FAIL

err, no. Most of the influential ones dont stand for election. They get appointed. AFAIRC, some heads of the Fed.

No one really cares about the middle class or the poor, since apparently, they aren't gay or lesbians. Don't expect there to be a petition that gets Aynn Rand fired from her job or to "step down" from her job.

Anonymous Coward

"He WAS persecuted because he provided material contributions to a cause that actively and willfully hurt a large class of citizens."

Darn, that's a long time for the persecution to kick in. At that rate, I a have nothing to fear.

At least you agree he was persecuted!

PM.

Suddenly world became a sadder place :-(

It all smells Soviet times.

Stepped down voluntarily .. yeah, right

Just like in a joke about Mayakovski's famous last words before his suicide.

"Please don't shoot Camrades"

Suddenly his private opinion on unrelated matter means more than his invention of javascript.

Sad, really ..

Re: Suddenly world became a sadder place :-(

Do you really think that all that many here are going to have read anything as esoteric as 'Stalin and his Hangmen'? LOL

Actually, as he inflicted JavaScript on the world he should be drawn and quartered from the highest yardarm!

Oh, don't worry, I detest him for inventing Javascript as well.

Anonymous Coward

That's not esoteric. Wait a second... What planet am I on?

From another angle

I really can't understand what kind of person spends 1000 bucks of their own money trying to implement a law to stop others doing something they themselves can do. If two people want to get married to each other what the hell do I care? It's none of my business. I think you've got to be a bit creepy to want to spend 1000 bucks of your own money on that... Surely there are more pressing causes?

In the end he has every right to do that of course, and those he sought to legislate against have every right to hound him out of his job. So neither side has committed a crime.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: From another angle

true since marriage reforms in last 40 years have made the marriage contract almost meaningless in law. Only contract that can be broken by either party without legal sanction in most jurisdictions.

Anonymous Coward

Re: From another angle

So anyone who has a differing opinion to you has a "right" to hound you out of a job?

Not sure what system of government you believe in there.

So, who's discriminating now, Mozilla?

"explicitly including LGBT equality and marriage equality"

If Mozilla are treating everyone equally surely that should have said "regardless of their sexual orientation". Smells like bias to me. Better start a hate campaign against Mitchell Baker.

Or maybe time to see sense, show some balance and feel pity for all the haters out there.

Anonymous Coward

I wonder if those people that stopped using Mozilla will also never use Javascript?

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

"I wonder if those people that stopped using Mozilla will also never use Javascript?"

You're pretty clueless, aren't you?

I can only hope so.

As a result of this I perceive these people as being vindictive. I am now less sympathetic to homosexual activists and Mozilla now. Will be looking for an alternative after this assault on free speech a shameful day indeed. Damaging for their cause.

Silver badge

Based on your comments on this issue, I'd be very surprised if you were sympathetic to begin with.

You need to learn what free speech is, it does not entitle you to enforce your views on others through legislation, and it does not make you immune to any repercussions.

And you need to learn to spot a witchhunt. If any group, through "exercising their free speech" has the power to remove a CEO of a major company, they ought to be accountable for their actions. There should be some responsibility there. The rule of the mob is NOT to be desired.

Anonymous Coward

So do you, Nick. So do you.

Whew! Glad we got rid of him. Now if we can just get rid of everyone else who disagrees with our position!! Goosesteppers unite!! Of course, we should have set him on fire... maybe next time...

He financially contributed to stripping gay people of their legal rights. That is slightly more serious than "disagrees with our position".

Anonymous Coward

And you actively hounded him out of a job which is a hell of a lot more serious than him having a different opinion to you.

Anonymous Coward

The point of "free speech" is....

... at least according the the US Constitution/1st Amendment (I won't presume to speak for other countries):

THE GOVERNMENT CAN'T STOP YOU FROM SPEAKING!

The rest of us can consider you a Neanderthal, and choose to take our business elsewhere.

You right to speak has no associated right to avoid consequences from anybody other than the government, if that speech is considered offensive.

That's life in the marketplace of ideas.... if I don't like your idea, I can choose to avoid doing business with you, and I can choose to use MY free speech rights to convince others to do the same.

The fact that he is gone is NOT due to PC gone wild, it is due to the cold calculation by Mozilla that he'd pissed off too many people and they needed to make him go away. If this was something less than a groundswell of revulsion, he could have overcome it. Unfortunately for him, there is a very large portion of the populace who have had it with religious (insert insult here) trying to enforce THEIR vision of the universe on everybody else. Well; we're getting tired of being told how we and people we care for should be living our lives, and it is about feckin' time.

irw
Alert

What the hell does someones personal beliefs have to do with running a company - as long as he does not inflict them on his employees or colleagues?

It seems that he had to go because it is no longer policically correct or acceptable to disagree with the homosexual /gay agenda.

With all the debate over same sex marriage, the fastest way to get abuse was to state that you disagreed. Then you get accused of being intolerant or bigoted by those who are even less tolerant of different opinions to their own

WTF?

Free speech for all

Eich believed in the anti-gay marriage proposal and exercised his right to free speech by supporting it financially.

A large number of people disagree with him and exercised their right to free speech by publicly informing Mozilla that they will not support a company that supports him.

Eich once again exercised his right by publicly declaring he would step down as he did not want Mozilla to suffer for his beliefs.

Nobody was wrong, everybody was just exercising their rights. Nothing to see here.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Free speech for all

>he did not want Mozilla to suffer for his beliefs

This is wrong, a persons ability to do a job should not be determined by their beliefs. If you think it is then you yourself are guilty of discrimination in favour of those who agree with you and against those who don't.

PM.

Re: Free speech for all

so , by extension, many of us here should exercise our rights and stop using firefox ?

that's pure madness ..

Anonymous Coward

Here's a fun thought

the LGBT supporters believe they are born gay, it is not a choice. So not allowing them the right to marry means that some gay people feel forced to choose to be more "socially acceptable" for companionship and marry someone of the opposite sex. This potentially leads to children who, if being gay is hereditary, are more likely to be gay.

Alternatively, allowing gay people to marry would mean a reduction in the possibility that they will successfully breed, thus stamping out the gay gene once and for all.

Therefore trying to force gay people to lead more "socially acceptable" lives is merely perpetuating the "problem", isn't it? Give them equal rights and the problem will solve itself within a few generations.

Anonymous cos I believe that both sides of the argument may dislike some of the above (when I am really just pointing out that some people are stupid and short sighted).

Silver badge

Re: Here's a fun thought

However it's not very funny and bordering on gibberish.

Anonymous Coward

What goes around, come around

Well, when the Republicans/Democrats:Conservatives/Labour win in, maybe just a few, elections down the road, and remove you from your job because you are a Democrat/Republican:Labourite/Tory supporter, just remember that it was here that you first said that that, in principle, was OK with you.

After all, what's a good piece of vindictive kicking in not got going for it?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018