back to article Windows 8.1 becomes world's fourth-most-popular desktop OS

Windows 8.1 adoption is speeding up, with the operating system now the planet's fourth-most-popular, according to Netmarketshare statistics. With January 2014 now behind us, the firm has totted up the results of its ongoing observations of just what browsers and operating systems hit the world's web servers. Those explorations …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I was just emailing a friend about this experience when it occurred to me Microsoft could be sending to the 'deleted' account because a test email didn't bounce, in which case I guess they'd be covering all bases. So, undecided about that one. Which just leaves having to wait 30 days to play Solitaire.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Why would I want, or need, to log into a local PC on my Network, with an Internet email account that rarely gets used?"

Like the other guy said, you don't actually have to. Unfortunately, you do have to enter something, so you have to enter something that fails, let Windows get a bloody nose, try again, probably fail again, and *eventually* the stupid setup system will give up and offer you the choice of logging in with a local account.

In short, you've got to go all the way to "Well, if you're going to insist on that internet account then the deal's off and I'm getting a Mac." before Windows will blink.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

XP and Exchange 2013 - already stuffed.

XP support continues until April - but we just heard this morning from our Hosted Exchange service provider that Exchange 2013 doesn't work with XP, right now.

We didn't ask to be migrated from our previous Exchange platform (2007) to 2013 - it was forced on us by the provider. But now we find that with no warning at all, we can't use our XP Outlook clients with the new Exchange service - our provider is telling us that if we want to use Outlook we have to upgrade all our XP machines NOW, because they don't work. (This applies even to XP machines running Outlook2010.)

I'd be grateful if anyone else can share any inside knowledge of this - reading between the lines, I would guess that some incompatibility between XP and the latest update of Exchange Server 2013 has crept in, and rather than fixing it, Microsoft have decided not to bother. But it may be that the Hosted Exchange provider should have been aware of this in advance, and overlooked it.

Any insiders out there who can clarify?

1. Mike Dimmick

Re: XP and Exchange 2013 - already stuffed.

Exchange Server 2013 is supported with Outlook 2013, 2010 SP1 (with an update) and 2007 SP3 (with an update). I'm not aware of a dependency on the client OS version. Outlook 2013 does require Windows 7 at minimum.

Source: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/845.outlook-versions-supported-by-exchange-200720102013online.aspx for Outlook versions supported.

If you were hosting your own Exchange Server, you'd need a 64-bit install of Windows 7 SP1, at minimum, to run the 2013 Management Tools remotely.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your provider is slightly wrong.

What they mean is Outlook in "Office XP" cannot connect to Exchange 2013+, something has been removed or changed but I cannot remember what. You need at leasts Office 2007 SP3 from memory to connect to Exchange 2013+ via MAPI

The details are in google.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I'm not aware of a dependency on the client OS version.

Neither, it appears, was my provider - until about two days ago. We were informed of other, well-documented dependencies a long time in advance of being migrated to Exchange 2013, but there was no mention made of XP - until a month after the migration, with no warning.

>What they mean is Outlook in "Office XP"

I quote from their email:

"Customers using Windows XP will find some critical functions will not work with Exchange 2013, therefore customers must upgrade their operating system."

The lack of any mention of this earlier makes me think that they didn't mean to make Exchange 2013 incompatible with Windows XP, but found that there were some issues with it when they released it into the wild, and they can't be bothered fixing these issues so they just tell their customers to spend their way out of a bind.

But what I really want to know is whether the "they" in the sentence above is Microsoft, or the Hosted Exchange provider..?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is 'popular' the correct word?

The Oxford Dictionary definition is "liked or admired by many people or by a particular person or group". I'm sure it's like and admired by some of its users but some of us users just have no choice in the matter. We have not chosen to use Windows 8.1, it's been foisted upon us by the hardware seller who will offer no alternative.

1. pPPPP

Re: Is 'popular' the correct word?

I was going to say the same thing. This isn't the first article to say this. Windows 8 is not popular. It really isn't. It's increasing its market share because people are still buying laptops (even though they keep telling us nobody's buying anything but tablets any more) and Windows 8 comes pre-installed. The majority of people use whatever comes pre-installed on their laptop because they don't know how to do anything else.

1. Chemist

Re: Is 'popular' the correct word?

"and Windows 8 comes pre-installed" - I take your point esp. if people buy from a big retailer but I'm writing this on a brand new laptop bought on-line from a UK company (quad -core i7, 8GB, 1080 matte screen) and I got it £65 cheaper by not having Windows installed. The case is a little naff but the screen ( ~15") and performance is gorgeous. OpenSUSE 13.installed in 8 minutes from a USB live distro and EVERYTHING works. Only Intel graphics but that is easily good enough to watch 1080p/50 video with cpus ticking over. Renders 1080p/50 video at ~1.7 mins per min of video (H264) with all 'eight' cores averaging about 80%

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Linux on the desktop? no surprise there.

4. GNoMe

Full list of OS percentages

For completeness here is the full list of OSs

Windows XP 59.80%

Windows 7 20.34%

Windows Vista 13.04%

Mac OS X 10.6 3.03%

Mac OS X 10.5 1.60%

Linux 0.96%

Mac OS X 10.4 0.47%

Windows 2000 0.36%

Windows NT 0.21%

Mac OS X (no version reported) 0.08%

Windows 98 0.05%

Windows ME 0.03%

Mac OS X Mach-O 0.02%

FreeBSD 0.01%

SunOS 0.00%

1. c:\boot.ini

Re: Full list of OS percentages

How old is that list ? Windows 8 is not even in it and the latest Mac OS X is 10.6 ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Full list of OS percentages

'How old is that list ? Windows 8 is not even in it and the latest Mac OS X is 10.6'

Nope. 10.9

2. Tom 13

Re: Windows ME 0.03%

Was this list ever real?

As I recall people on 98-ME were happy to upgrade to Vista because of the improved usability.

5. Tom 13

Re: it may at least spare some blushes

It shouldn't. When you latest two operating systems combined still don't exceed the market share of your 2-months-from-we're-going-to-kill-it-and-this-time-we-really-really-mean-it operating system, you have a colossal failure. Failure is NOT supposed to be an option.

6. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

You'd think

(I certainly did at - at least for a while)

that OS distributors

(Yes 'doze, *os and 'nix I mean you)

would realise that the public would catch on to the fact that a new operating system or operating system update meant old hardware was made obsolete forcing one to purchase new hardware in order to keep continuity in working methods no?

Operating system update = hardware system downgrade yes?

7. EPurpl3

Once I wanted to get money from an ATM and had a frozen Windows 95 login screen. Some are still using those on ATM's :d

8. JustNiz

Seems like this must be bullshit research (i.e. hopelessly biassed towards Microsoft).

For one thing Android isn't even mentioned, unless you could seriously believe it is included in Linux's 1.5%.

Their browser study shows ie overall market share is still over 50%, when everyone else is stating its less than 20% for example:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

1. Boothy
      WTF?

@ JustNiz

I must have missed the memo, at what point did Android become a Desktop OS?

Don't get me wrong, I like Android, I have 2 tablets and a Nexus 5 phone, but last time I checked, they were still classed as a Mobile, not a Desktop OS.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction

4th most used; not 4th in popularity.

10. Howard Hanek
    Coat

All those unopened, shrink wrapped boxes gathering dust on Admin's storage closet shelves awaiting disposal years hence......

11. Charles Manning

Something to crow about...

FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH, FOURTH,FOURTH.

1. Bilby

Re: Something to crow about...

Nah, RPN is too much of a nuisance for FORTH to be worth crowing about. Frankly, I haven't used it at all myself since 1988.

12. Al Black

Windows XP

There are at last count over 500,000 PC's worldwide still running XP. They will not all suddenly stop working when the OS goes out of support. For most people it will just mean that the Microsoft Support they have never used will no longer be available. As PC's are retired at end-of-life they will be replaced with Win 7 or 8 PC's: this is now cheaper than upgrading the OS on the old PC. So don't panic, just accept that this highly successful OS is on its way out.

The differences between Win 8 and Win 8.1 are so trivial, they should be considered the same OS.

The fact that over 10% of the world's PCs already use Win8x is a fairly good start, considering

a) Corporates have just finished moving to Win 7 and have no driving need to upgrade, and

b) Apple OS X is installed on 7.7% of desktops after a much longer release.

13. GNoMe

the better list

I don;t why what happened when I copied the last list but this is the correct one

Windows 7 47.49%

Windows XP 29.23%

Windows 8 6.63%

Windows 8.1 3.95%

Windows Vista 3.30%

Mac OS X 10.9 3.20%

Linux 1.60%

Mac OS X 10.8 1.48%

Mac OS X 10.6 1.44%

Mac OS X 10.7 1.19%

Mac OS X 10.5 0.29%

Windows NT 0.07%