back to article Are you for reel? How the Compact Cassette struck a chord for millions

On 30 August, 1963, a new bit of sound recording tech that was to change the lifestyle of millions was revealed at the Berlin Radio Show. The adoption of the standard that followed led to a huge swath of related technological applications that had not been envisaged by its maker; for Philips, the unveiling of its new Compact …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Imran Chaudhry

Tape deck as VCR

Many years ago I used to record kids cartoons on my Dads tape deck. We did not have a VCR like many richer friends. I used to listen to them as I feel asleep and built up a nice collection.

Thanks Philips for such a wonderful invention.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>"Commodore Datasette kept alongside many a Pet"

That's the 1531 which was released for use with the Commodore 16 and Plus 4. It wouldn't have been kept alongside any PETs as it had a different, incompatible connector - not to mention not being entirely contemporary.

3. red floyd

So nice to see consistency...

It's nice to know that in 50 years, the BPI hasn't changed a bit!

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Flame

And now: A walk in the black forrest...

I had a jammed cassette in my cars tape deck on a non-stop road trip from Calgary to Las Vegas.

Because the tape was 'in' there was no way to play the radio.

It was a choice between silence or the same goddamn tape over and over for 24 hours.

5. Erewhon888

Sony NT1

It's a bit of a stretch for a mention following this excellent article but I thought somebody might also have the engineering marvel called the Sony NT1 which recorded digitally and helically on little cassettes about the size of a postage stamp. The little tapes were hideously expensive at about 10 pounds each in the early 90s but despite the tiny tape and cassette size you could get 120 min versions. I understand the BBC gave their reporters these because of the extreme portability and performance. Mine still works though the case surface has become sticky.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Definitely a 'Blast from the Past'

Brilliant article. It certainly brought back great memories of mine from the 80's. I was a guy whole bought my vinyl then taped it on cassette for daily use in either the home deck or later, my 'walkman-like' protable. I also used my home decks so much for taping compilations, albums, and playing them back incessantly, I kept wearing out the consumer grade units. I eventually had to buy the 2nd generation Revox cassette deck which was absolutely the living end. Anyhow, aside from wearing out a few sets of pinch rollers (too much cleaning with what we were 'supposed to use'), the Revox was a champ. It finally was sold a couple of years back to a collector.

I might also add, that the Sony MiniDisc was actually introduced here twice. Once to no interest, and about a couple of years later to some limited interest. (Or at least that is what my 'memory 1.0' seems to remember)

The best part of cassette for me was the planning, the fiddling of the myriads of options via front panel throw switches, reading about and then selecting the various kinds of tapes . . . it was wonderfully involving. Today, import CD, import to iPod. Mindless.

Oh well, good time, good times. I miss them but remember them fondly. Thanx again for the article!!

7. Slow Joe Crow

One more cassette format

I don't know if anybody mentioned this but Uher made some cassette recorders for motion picture use that recorded a single monaural track on the full width of one side of a cassette. Obviously record time wasn't very long but it was intended to work with lightweight 16mm cameras that only held 15-20 minutes worth of film. The other feature on the one i saw was a synch connector that attached to the camera so audio and image were in synch.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like