back to article Bolivian president's jet grounded so officials can look for Snowden

Bolivian president Evo Morales was obliged to land in Vienna en route home from attending a gas exporters' conference in Moscow over suspicions that NSA-contractor-turned-whistleblower Edward Snowden might be aboard the presidential jet. According to the BBC, Austrian officials who searched the jet have given the all-clear, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Silent but Deadly

Re: Non-story

The plane would have taken off with enough fuel for a planned great circle route. When France and Spain denied access, in flight, to their airspace, a longer route and more fuel was required.

Expect Spane and France to win some US contracts soon for 'enforcing their sovereign airspace' over a diplomatic flight. Either that or some choice PRISM data dumps will arrive in their in boxes.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The false story titles are bad journalism

The clueless Bolivian president's plane was NOT grounded to search for scumbag Snowden. Certain countries did not allow the plane to fly over because they did not want to support the illegal activities of Snowden or anyone supporting Snowdens efforts to evade capture and prosecution for his documented crimes. Being a roigue nation is what attracts this type of response from the international community who do not support Snowden's treason, hacking and other injury to many people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The false story titles are bad journalism

Odd. How is it that "rendition" flights, totally illegal in all countries in that the passengers included kidnapped people and so illegal that even the USA tried to deny their existence, were not refused permission to fly over these same countries?

I am not qualified to comment on Snowden's guilt or innocence of what, nor of the veracity of what he is claiming (though the USA seems to be confirming it hourly and repeatedly). But still, odd.

2. Tikimon
    Stop

PLEASE stop bashing ordinary citizens for this BS!

American native here. This is merely one symptom of power-mad governments with no real accountability to their citizens. We, the people of the United Sates (mostly) do NOT condone or support this crap, nor the Patriot Act, TSA, various stupid wars on Stuff, universal data-gobbling, etc.

Before you bash "The US", please consider that. Also admit and accept that YOUR government is doing the exact same things, or trying hard to do so. You cannot show me a government ANYWHERE with clean hands and pure motives, so please spare the general population your sanctimonious condemnation.

It's tough enough to live under this BS without our so-called friends and allies calling me names I don't deserve. Don't claim I voted for these fools either. Candidates are carefully screened by the political establishment, we never get a decent person to vote FOR.

1. Tomato42
      Stop

Re: PLEASE stop bashing ordinary citizens for this BS!

but you're not doing anything to stop this from happening

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

2. Grave

so which native tribe you're from?

or a you just a descendant of european/african/asian origin? usoan lol

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Don't claim I voted for these fools either. Candidates are carefully screened by the political establishment, we never get a decent person to vote FOR."

Exactly. One of the main reasons I have for maintaining that there are no democracies - especially in those countries that claim most shrilly to have them.

You can elect any leader you want, as long as he belongs to one of the two big parties that have some power and influence. (Both of which are indistinguishable apart from their insignia and superficial rhetoric).

Or you can vote for anyone else, or abstain - both of which have the same effect.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The Ecuadorian government also suspects its emails have been intercepted."

Duh! Think that may have been one of things Snowden has already mentioned.

1. Justicesays
      Trollface

I think they picked up on it

When they sent the mail saying

"Don't worry, we have arranged for you to be taken to Bolivia on the Presidents plane"

4. Anonymous Coward
    1. Anonymous C0ward

Re: May I draw people's attention to the following

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

5. Michael Mounteney

International law anyone ?

Why is no one pointing out that the Austrian 'authorities' searching of the president's plane a blatant breach of the Vienna Convention ? The fact that they did this -- just f&*%ing did it -- shows that they had been told "Get this guy, no matter what".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The Ecuadorian government also suspects its emails have been intercepted."

Of course they have, didn't they see the proof from Snowden?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But when

When is the grossly inaccurate and distorted tele-movie being rushed out?

Complete with NAZI references, guns and Al-Qaeda terrorists?

You know, standard US fare.

8. MacroRodent

Shades of Spycatcher

> Planting bugs in foreign embassies or hotels restricted to foreigners has been a spying tactic for decades.

Yes, there are several entertaining stories about this in the "Spycatcher" by Peter Wright, the ex MI5 spook. (Is that book still officially banned in the UK?). It was not even limited to Communist block embassies.

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Big Brother

Snowden has asylum offers from Venezuela and Nicaragua.

Now all he has to do is actually get to either country and.... Well, who knows what he'll actually do for the rest of his life? It's not like he can start working for the Venezuelan or Nicaraguan monitoring services. Oh, what, you mean you didn't realize they spied on their own citizens? LOL!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like