back to article Coke? Windows 8 is Microsoft's 'Vista moment'. Again

Microsoft has decided to backtrack on Windows 8 and loosen the Metro straitjacket the new OS applies to the traditional desktop. This U-turn is being described by commentators as Microsoft’s ""New Coke Moment" – where a business drops a brand-new flavour and reverts to the trusted and loved old recipe following a backlash from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Efros
    Pint

W8... really?

Ok this one will probably be downvoted to oblivion.

I use Windows 8 on three machines daily, 2 for work and one for home use. All three are multicore machines with SSD boot drves, all three were previously Windows 7 and all three perform better and more reliably under 8. I actually had to go and google a windows 8 BSOD to see what it looked like, never seen one. Boot times are ridiculously low, much faster than 7 and TIFKAM is history as I have boot to desktop and Startisback installed. I'm not a novice user and I delve into the nether regions of hardware/drivers/registry whenever required. The reorganisation of aspects of the W8 interface, whilst initially irritating soon disappears when you get used to it, as we all had to do in almost every version of windows since 1.0 (that one was installed, messed with and immediately consigned to the trash). TIFKAM should have been an option selectable if you had a touch screen, I wonder what the reception to 8 would have been if M$ had done this instead of forcing its use on everyone.

Beer for those who read it all.

1. marky_boi
      FAIL

Re: W8... really?

Tried the Beta, tried to like it .... gave it to my son, he tried to like it

gave up

last 2 PC purchases were from DELL who sell Business laptops with default of Win7.

Will not even consider W8 on it's current form. It will have to be an upgrade of W7 appearance before we consider it.

and................. MINT looks better and better all the time , even has Aero type effects

1. gkroog
        Linux

KDE on Fedora ain't shabby either ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I use several Win8 systems and not had any problems either. No problems with drivers or need to fiddle with registry. I don't reboot often and rarely find myself out of the desktop so mostly business as usual on the desktop same as Win7. Personally couldn't care less about the start menu but some people apparently do so agree it was pendantic of Microsoft to insist those who care install a third party utility.

Some apps like many games work well fully screen whatever the size of the display so Windows store apps are a step forward for some purposes (not a touch thing, a well written WinRT app will be fine with keyboard/mouse). So TIFKAM has its uses.

However. I don't know if Microsoft has actually proposed a scenario where multitasking desktop apps are replace by TIFKAM full screen style modes of working. Some people seem to believe that is the direction of Windows despite the fact that one glance of a calculator running on a 30" screen is a reductio ad absurdum.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

First and only time I've seen a W8 machine was when it was brought to me, bluescreening (Tosh laptop with factory installed W8).

2. Ian Tresman

One license for two devices

I'd let people run one copy of Windows 8 on two devices, a desktop and a mobile device, which lets them use the Windows they are use to (with Start button etc), and lets them try it on their mobiles, so they get use to it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One license for two devices

"used to"

3. Spiracle
    Alert

Meanwhile over at Apple...

But [Sinofsky's] problem - which ultimately became Microsoft and Windows 8's problem, was that he emphasised process over people. He built a version of Windows based on data and theory without actually understanding how people used Windows. It was no wonder people got confused and we have arrived at where we are today.

Meanwhile over at Apple hardware designer Jonny Ive has been given god-like control over software UI design.

What'll be the results of that decision, I wonder?

1. gkroog
      Trollface

Re: Meanwhile over at Apple...

More infringing on the IP of other companies? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/07/apple_loses_patent_case_facetime/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile over at Apple...

TAIFKAM (The Apple interface formerly known as Metro/Microsoft).

4. Stephen Hunt

Ok - so now fix the app store model.

Remove the hurdles to devs to create apps and the Windows 8 thing might succeed. (E.g. remove the iOs-style pay to play and switch to an android-style free to innovate on your device.)

1. qwarty

Also lets have the option to make WinRT apps that can run and multitaksk on the desktop.

5. Paul Shirley

telemetry - just stats and stats are what you lie with

The telemetry is arguably just a smokescreen they used to justify an existing plan. If they noticed the problems interpreting the data Sinovsky would have ignored the problems and ploughed on, because Win8 is about owning new markets, not making Windows better.

My stats would show that 90% of launches are double clicked documents in File Explorer. Should the entire UI just become a File Explorer... of course not. The next 7-9% are pinned apps on the start bar or desktop. Microsofts claim is the remaining 1-3% of launches from my Start Menu are insignificant. But in reality they're launching from my Menu because I might only run an app once a month (or even once a year), these are the 100+ tools so infrequently used pinning makes no sense, that would overflow any flat organisation on limited screen space - especially if every link is a tile. These are the tools that fit perfectly in a hierarchical menu tree like the Start Menu.

Apparently my substantial use of drag'n'drop is also wrong, bypassing Windows awful file selection dialogs. But full screen apps in the shiny Metro world makes it unusable so clearly I'm doing something wrong. Just can't quite work out why taking advantage of multiple large screens to improve my workflow is wrong...

MS choose to pretend that infrequent use means a feature has no value. They're completely wrong. But removing desktop features isn't about usability, it's about bludgeoning their way onto phones and tablets through monopoly abuse, not value to end users.

1. qwarty

Re: telemetry - just stats and stats are what you lie with

Glad to hear someone else finds drag and drop useful. Too much triumph of form over function in the whole Win8 design.

2. Narlaquin
      Facepalm

I think you have a very good point.

Isn't the telemetry the "Allow Microsoft to capture data to improve Windows" stuff that we techies all switch off when setting up a machine? If so, then the telemetry is mostly collected from people who've had to figure it all out by themselves. How do you get on the internet? "Well, I press the start button and type in INTERNET and press that big button with the arrow." Hey Presto! Internet Explorer opens. "I type in word prosessorator and press the button" Voila! Word opens.

So Sinofsky came up with an interface that worked against the way that most of us actually worked, but he didn't know, because we techies were all hiding from Microsoft's prying eyes.

1. PhilBuk
        Thumb Up

Absolutely right. I've always turned their telemetry off on my own and any other machine on which I've installed Windows (quite a few).

Phil.

6. Tim 11

MS must have anticipated this

Unless everyone at MS was very naïve and taken in by all the hype, I'm sure this must have been part of the plan all along. I suspect someone high up knew that the only way to get metro out there was to ignore all their existing customers and release windows 8 as a "dead end" while they decided on a more sustainable plan for the future.

Whether they actually have a sensible plan for future releases is anyone's guess. I can't personally see any future for touch screen laptops or for metro on the desktop.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: MS must have anticipated this

A better conspiracy theory is that someone high up knew that the only way to get Sinofsky out (of) there was to give him unlimited rope. Microsoft's behaviour these last ten years makes sense as a largely hidden but bloody war of corporate politics amongst executives who have been gifted with a monopoly so secure that it doesn't matter what they release.

2. Asok Asus
      Holmes

You give the Microsoft "brain trust" way too much credit.

"Unless everyone at MS was very naïve and taken in by all the hype, I'm sure this must have been part of the plan all along. I suspect someone high up knew that the only way to get metro out there was to ignore all their existing customers and release windows 8 as a "dead end" while they decided on a more sustainable plan for the future."

You give the Microsoft "brain trust" way too much credit. A much simpler (and more likely) explanation is that they are isolated, arrogant, clueless and ignorant.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blah blah blah

I honestly still can't see what all the fuss is about, Windows 8 works fine for me and I hated that damn start button. My laptop (which had Windows 7 on it) is quicker to boot up, more stable and runs all my work programs quicker. 2 days getting use to a larger different type of "start menu" and I'm okay, panic over...

We really do need to find a way of navigating our operating systems without massive folder lists and key combinations. People complain that Microsoft is not creative enough but the moment it makes a bold different move, people complain.

Like those who want rid of the ribbon interface the windows 8 haters would have us all doing keyboard finger gymnastics and mouse races through menus and folders. A potential solution to our obesity problem (whilst increasing incidents of RSI) but not sadly making it easier to use our Operating Systems....

If you don't like it go and use some silly Linux flavour and enjoy your command line/bloody awful GUI somewhere else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I honestly still can't see what all the fuss is about

That would tend to imply that you're not going to be sharing any sort of valuable insight - check.

2. Asok Asus
      Holmes

Re: Blah blah blah

"Windows 8 works fine for me and I hated that damn start button"

Good for you! I'll mark you down as one vote for Windows 8. I guess the rest of us can just go piss up a rope.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Blah blah blah

Evidently there's at least 3, myself and the two up votes :) I wasn't suggesting people pee anywhere else but appropriate designated places...

8. CBR1100XX
    Stop

Reading this page...

Off topic, but am I the only one finding these comments hard to read with the mahoosive orange Office 365 banner surrounding the content? My eyes keep getting drawn out to the sides and it's very annoying because I have to concentrate harder to read the middle!

1. FunkyEric
      Happy

Re: Reading this page...

Yes it is just you

2. Bert 1
      Unhappy

I was fine until you pointed it out.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"[...] am I the only one finding these comments hard to read with the mahoosive orange Office 365 banner surrounding the content?"

Try using Firefox with the AdBlock plug-in. Has speeded up my browsing by not having to wait for adverts to download and render. It has also removed their visual distractions.

1. Obvious Robert
        Thumb Up

Also available for Chrome may I add...

I relatively recently became an Adblock convert after Google's profiling went crazy and decided I was single and aged 65+, and started showing me endless adverts for 'mature dating' (and I do mean *mature*). All attempts to opt out from their targeted advertising made no difference at all, so I went the Adblock route. They can incorrectly profile me all they want now, I'll never see their crap ads anyway :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"[...] after Google's profiling went crazy and decided I was single and aged 65+, and started showing me endless adverts for 'mature dating'"

I am 65+. The adverts displayed for me were for voluptuous twenty-somethings - apparently in my town and eager to meet me.

4. Piro Silver badge

Just you. Who on earth doesn't use Adblock Plus these days?

9. FreeTard

It is a pile of turd

I installed a licenced copy of windows 8 pro on my thinkpad x61s, installed every update available. Installed a single app - avgfree and I had 8 BSOD's in two days.

I re-installed it, did the upgrades, installed defender instead of cvg and the BSOD's continued.

I then nuked it and put fedora18 back on.

I wanted a windows machine as I have another thinkpad and didn't really see the point in having two almost identical OSes.

Using win8 was fairly painful, as the UI makes no sense unless it is on a tablet or a telephone, so they are right to vista it. Whether I'll try blue when it comes out in another question.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is a pile of turd

There is something wrong with your laptop then. It simply doesn't BSOD for anything except dodgy hardware. The fact that Fedora is running well on it suggests that Fedora doesn't use a hardware function that Win8 does.

Did you look up any of the BSODs, to see what caused the problem? Or did you just say "this is rubbish, I'm off back to Linux?"

1. FreeTard

Yes I did, and they were different BSOD's each time. The laptop has been running constantly, only using sleep mode for the pas couple of years, running various virtualisation technologies, xen, kvm, vmware workstation and also the one from SUN that the name escapes me. I managed to run lots of windows flavours on this host for testing apps and running other scenarios.

The machine has never crashed before, yet with windows 8, it would BSOD just idling. Also ran memtest86 over night and other diags. Never an issue found.

So it is not a hardware issue, is a shit OS.

1. FreeTard

Correction - I don't actually remember what the BSOD's were, so cannot say for sure if they were the same. I seem to remember the bitmap being difficult to read as it was not at all clear, but it was a freshly installed machine with all updates and no apps installed, this should not crash - since MS provided all the software.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC

"Did you look up any of the BSODs, to see what caused the problem? Or did you just say "this is rubbish, I'm off back to Linux?""

He probably gave up and installed something that just worked

2. gkroog
      Linux

Windows 8 went down twice, both times when I tried to install internet security softare on it. The first time I had to reinstall it...the same day I bought tha laptop. The second time was a couple months later, with a different internet security...

I now have Windows 7 on here, and will shortly be installing Fedora 18 to dual boot.

I recomment you wait for at least a year and see what comes of Blue. That's what I'll do this time...

3. Bob Camp

I have the same problem with most Linux distros on my PC. Windows 7 just works.

Probably is a driver issue in both our cases, but those things can take a long time to figure out.

I only installed Linux just to see what the fuss was about. But it kept locking up my PC. To get any real work done I have to use Windows 7 anyway. I need to use real Microsoft Office, and several other engineering programs that only run in Windows.

Our IT department has forbidden the use of Windows 8 until Microsoft fixes the GUI to make it desktop friendly. They gave it to a few users and a trial basis and the results were a disaster.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have you tried PC-BSD ? *not* a linux distro.

http://www.pcbsd.org/

10. Gray
    Angel

Windows 8 'n' Hot Dogs!

Hey, did you know … ?

I got a touch screen ‘puter and I tried Windows 8 on it, and I just hate it when I have to rub my fingers on that draggy-plastic surface, you know? So I got this, like, idea that hot dogs are a lot like fingers, so I got a pack of hot dogs, but not the frozen ones, you know, but, like, the really nice tactile, soft and squeezy type hot dogs? And I put some paper napkins on the keyboard 'cause I got the touch screen so I don’t need the keyboard?

And I found, like Wow! I can flop and flap and flip them icons with the end of the hot dog on that touch screen, and them icons follow like little kittens … and all afternoon man I got so much browsin’ and stuff done! I only wore out three of them hotdogs doing the Windows 8 slap and drag thing, so that left the others in the pack for lunch. Man that screen was a mess! But you know, I licked it all off and it was delicious! And then the napkins on the keyboard was only a little gooey so they made a good face-wipe, and I gotta tell ya …

Man, you gotta get Windows 8 and some hot dogs!

11. Camilla Smythe

If You Build it They Will Cum

"What the fuck is this!?"

"Baseball Field of Dreams."

"Doesn't look like a Baseball Pitch to Me!"

"Uhm, it's a slightly modified version."

"Looks 'Football' to me?"

"Rugby Union actually."

" WTF!!?"

1. oldcoder

Re: If You Build it They Will Cum

Its actually cricket.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only thing which really bothered me...

The initial statements coming from Redmond that "the vendors didn't get it", which also included members of the Partner network like myself, was something I didn't quite appreciate.

Now, I realize it's all business and when looking at my position I get what I pay for (I have a free subscription to the Partner network, simply because my company isn't big enough (yet >:-) ) to justify a subscription plan). But even so this doesn't feel right; when it comes to Windows 7, Office 2010 (and partly 2013), .NET and their server line of products I'm actually quite a believer. Its why my company often sells these kind of products.

But the thing is; I'm not a fan because we're talking Microsoft. I'm a fan because this stuff works for me, and I think it can work for several of my customers as well. Within this context I'm not a Windows 8 fan, at all. Its a completely flawed design in my opinion.

And what does Microsoft do? Basically tells the world that "I didn't get it".

I realize it's all business, I shrug and move on. But how many actual fans of their products who also didn't like Windows 8 have they pissed off with this? People who like Windows because it's Windows and also got stuck in the awkwardness that was Metro?

Fool me once (Vista); shame on you. Fool me twice (Win8); shame on me. Fool me three times?

1. Asok Asus
      Holmes

Re: The only thing which really bothered me...

"But how many actual fans of their products who also didn't like Windows 8 have they pissed off with this?"

A WHOLE bunch! Ones that went to iOS or Android tablets, Macs, or Linux. And these folks will NEVER be coming back. Basically, Windows 8 was the final straw. Windows 8 finally caused enough pain that people said fuck up, bit the bullet, and bailed on Windows. Windows 8 has triggered the beginning of the end for the Windows franchise in the consumer market place.

13. brain_flakes
    Holmes

Follow this simple yes-no rule

Windows 98 - Yes

Windows ME - No

Windowx XP - Yes

Windows Vista - No

Windows 7 - Yes

Windows 8 - No

Windows ??? - Yes

(ignoring 2000 for being "biz" oriented)

1. Simon Harris
      Facepalm

Re: Follow this simple yes-no rule

Err.. is there an echo in here?

1. Chika
        Trollface

Err.. is there an echo in here?

1. PhilBuk
          Thumb Down

That list was funny the first few times - about 4 years ago.

Phil.

2. Piro Silver badge

I hate this meme. Christ it needs to die. How about we stop doing this alternating junk and just evaluate each thing as it comes.

Frequently ignored is the fact that Windows 2000 (NT5) came one version before Windows XP (NT5.1), and yet both were IMMENSELY successful, and well liked.

Those people who say XP was shit day one are talking nonsense, too, I remember using it. It really did take a couple of service packs to be decent, but it was no shitfest compared to 2000 that some seem to choose to remember. Features like Zero Config Wireless helped rid the world of a million different wireless UIs, the built in image viewer was a very welcome addition, and so on. God help me if anyone says "Fischer Price" or "Tellytubby" UI, because you know full well there was a classic option.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Something has to change

Microsoft's incredibly deep pockets and almost unique capacity to (almost) single handedly energise or depress the tech sector make it seriously dangerous since it now misses a lot more than it hits. The rapid pace of tech developments allows companies to amass vast cash piles on one or two great early ideas from when they were lean and hungry, then spend whittling the pile down while producing serial dross. The problem is they still so dominate that they act as dead weight on real change, and use their muscle to prop up fading glory.

The capitalism of the last century's industrial era is just far too slow on its feet to reward to the good and allow the bad to fail without damaging overall progress. Something has to give or most of the tech sectors cash is going to be sitting around shoring up ever slowing mediocrity and stifling genuinely useful, world changing progress for the sake of milking the last drop from the has been cash cows.

15. Whiznot

None of the gorillas at the zoo can understand why humans hate Windows 8.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like