back to article Google Glass will SELF-DESTRUCT if flogged on eBay

Buyers of Google Glass have been warned they cannot sell their pricey new techno-spectacles on eBay or anywhere else. In terms of sale posted on its website, the advertising giant said a Google Glass was for life, unless you wanted to give it away for nothing. Anyone who failed to follow the rules will have their devices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

give it away for nothing

and pay £5,000 postage. Or whatever the "early adapters" (chuckle) are willing to pay. Or 100 bitcoins ;)

2. theloon

Sale of Goods Act trumps Google bs

Nice of Google to open themselves to an instant UK legal challenge. you can't be prevented from reselling something you own, and control over that item can't be extended in the way Google is looking to do..

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. El Andy

Re: Sale of Goods Act trumps Google bs

You can sell the physical object, you can't necessarily transfer the right to access the services required to make it functional. And Google have no legal requirement to let you do so.

1. Arly

Re: Sale of Goods Act trumps Google bs

This poster obviously has no understanding of U.S. intellectual property law and the "First Sale Doctrine" which bars post sale restrictions on the sale or transfer of the goods to another party.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy fix

Make the eBay auction for a letter promising to gift you a Glass or something. That way you're not selling the Glass itself.

4. madestjohn

What?!! ... You didn't think just because you paid for it that you actually owned it, did you?

5. Kai Lockwood
    Devil

Mind control

Exactly what is a bone-conduction transducer and do I get to switch it off?

I must say this sound like a Dr. Who episode.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Mushroom

Self destruct?

Let's have some fun with this.

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it...(complete sentence)"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy!

Corneal transplants.

In your face Google!

9. Felix Krull

They probably don't want to see their shiny toys going for $1.95 once people find out they're completely useless.

10. Buster
    Trollface

They are not providing a service stupid - you'er doing that....

....and paying for it. What users are doing is financing Googles data gathering service. Google is gathering all the data on the demographic that is dim enough of pay $1500 for Google Glasses and selling it on to other vendors who would kill to get data on anyone who can so easily parted from wads of dosh. Not only that Google will harvest GPS data linked to video and images together with what catches the user attention at those locations. All this data can be use directly by Google to improve and extend their services, such as streetview and inside of locations travel video and images, and also feed up to date information on user response to street advertising and point of sale displays.

This data is more valuable if it is tied in to all the other personal demographic and personal information they will harvest when they link up all the information gathered by face recognition of you friends, family and everyone you meet. So when you autoblog video of the cute kid in the park that then trends and is used to advertise ...well everything after all that what the web is about.... just be sure that the cute kid is not a ward of court because the terms and conditions of use will make you responsible - Google will make sure of that.

But then maybe Google wil just get video of people pointing an laughing and goog-glasses being hastly put out off sight,

11. Keith 21
    FAIL

Do No Evil

Anyone remember the days when Google tried to claim that their company motto was Do No Evil?

And laughably, the idiots who actually believed them?

12. KirstarK

ignoring the fact that these are the dev editions.....

For sales: 1 Bean $2000.

Special this week. Buy one bean and get a Google Glass given as a gift :)

13. ForthIsNotDead
    Meh

I wouldn't worry too much...

...all the owners will end up in hospital by:

1) Walking into lamp-posts

2) Tripping up/down kerbs

3) Walking into fountains

4) Walking under a bus

5) Saying "Hey, check out my Google glasses" and being punched in the face.

14. STEVENSON-KAATSCH
    IT Angle

Breaking Glass... Ha,ha,ha!

Much as I enjoy their on-line offerings... aren't these guys just a wee bit up their own bottoms.? ! For pity's sake, this is just a cheapened down bit of old military tech for us mere mortals. When you purchase something, it's YOURS ! You haven't rented it, you've BOUGHT it ! I am not going to buy or rent the thing because I got a LIFE. There isn't the spare time to geek my silly self all day watching b@ll@cks in front of the far more interesting reality going on around me. I'm sure a clever chap in China will retro-engineer the thing, dodge around the patents and copyright and swamp the market to the kids ( who,bless their little cotton socks, know no better ). Anyway, enough time wasted on this nonsense ... Good night and sleep the sleep of the righteous .

15. opaque

It's not hidden, you know what you are doing when you buy it, the bit I find odd is the whole only buying one, no resale through THEM as there would surely be a market for that at some point. Some people will want to buy more than one, some people will break them etc so I'm guessing there has to be a returns thing somewhere.

A lot of what we 'own' we don't own these days, but unless you want to do anything out of the norm with it noone really cares. You get the use which is why you spend your money in the first place.

Noone is forcing you to buy any product.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You seriously don't want one of these!

Not many comments about how seriously fucked up this device is anyway. The joke is that people are signing up to this brain sucking device voluntarily!

17. Enrico Vanni
    FAIL

This product will tank because you will look stupid wearing it.

That is all.

18. Simon Westerby 1
    Pint

Meh - don't sell it, jsut sell something else and include it as a gift,,,

Beer because its friday, and i need beer goggles not google glasses!

19. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Thumb Down

wow - here's a neat gadget I want but will never buy, own, or use. Have I finally reached the end of the Internet?

20. teebie

"Stop The Cyborgs"

There's an organisation devoted to shutting up Kevin Warwick? One one of them?

21. Bob AMG
    Terminator

Apple Seed Ex Machina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkag7M_i5A

If you havent seen this film its all about google glasses and how they control the owners that ware them.

22. Corporate Earth

If it is successful it will be only a matter of time before its hacked and alternative glasses available. People are only buying these to show off anyway, if you have a smart phone there isn't much reason to spend a fortune on these.

23. Trokair 1
    Flame

Really?

This may be the first time I've heard something from Google that raised the "pitchfork and torch" mentality in me to a boil. Its like saying you can buy a car but nobody but you is allowed to put fuel into it. What a con. I hope this program does down in flames.

1. cortland
      Flame

Re: Really?

-- I hope this program does down in flames. --

Depends on the battery, doesn't it?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is for initial development, i.e. beta testing, units. Not final production models. Get the facts right.

No different than an NDA or OS licence.

25. jon 13

Only google is big, rich, evil, stupid and self-absorbed enough to think anyone believes it can enforce such a blunt idea.

26. Smittey

Exploding glasses

That's a shame.. I was really hoping it would be a bit more Mission Impossible-esque.

27. vagabondo

strangest feature?

"Perhaps its strangest feature is its bone-conduction transducer, which generates sound by sending vibrations through bones in the ear."

Isn't this the normal means of hearing in vertebrates? The bones in the middle ear transmit vibrations to the cochlea, then via hairs to the nerve endings, and the brain.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: strangest feature?

Didn't Slippery Jim use them in the Stainless Steel Rat books?

28. Juillen 1

For the early ones...

It may well be to help prevent the spate of muggings and other assaults that went with the early iPhones and other "cool" gadgets that were the big status symbol of the moment..

If you turn its resale value to zero, you stop people mugging people for the glasses so they can sell them for 50 quid down the local pub (or sell them on an auction site etc.)..

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is easy to "sell" it all while following the wishes of Google. You sell it for free but postage and handling is $1500.00.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.