back to article Kickstarted mobe charger 'kicked to death by Apple'

Apple has apparently screwed a bullet into a project to build a charger for iPads, iPhones, Android mobes and other handheld gadgets. The device includes Apple's new Lightning power and high-speed data connector but, we're told, the Cupertino giant refused to grant a licence for its use because the charger can also top up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but ...

Update: 12/21 22:16 GMT by S : Apple has relented. A spokesman for the company told Ars, "Our technical specifications provide clear guidelines for developing accessories and they are available to MFi licensees for free. We support accessories that integrate USB and Lightning connectors, but there were technical issues that prevented accessories from integrating 30-pin and Lightning connectors so our guidelines did not allow this. We have been working to resolve this and have updated our guidelines to allow accessories to integrate both 30-pin and Lightning connectors to support charging."

For my money Lightning is a vast improvement on micro USB and the old iPhone connector, namely that you can plug it in easily in the dark. And apparently it can carry a bunch of different signals based on a config chip in the plug. I'm not sure how well it will cope with trouser fluff getting stuffed into it over the months, though. The official cables are no more expensive than the old official cables either. We'll have to wait for cheaper knock-offs. A shame I can't make one myself, as I could with the older connector, but that's a minor blemish on what looks like a major improvement.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Not to rain on anyone's parade, but ...

Crikey you can't say that on here - Apple is Bad remember - now repeat after me Apple Bad, Samsung Good, Apple Bad, Google Good... never mind the truth it's Apple BAD ok?

Silver badge

So

You build these things with just a USB-A socket in the place you would have put the Lightning cord come out, order a sufficient number of USB-Lihtning cables *) and adapt the design a bit so that the cable can be locked in place. Bundle the charger with the Lightning cable, done.

*) readily available from your Chinese tat-vendor site of choice, such as this one: http://dx.com/p/8-pin-lightning-male-to-micro-usb-female-adapter-for-iphone-5-mini-ipad-ipod-touch-5-white-175459

Thumb Down

Story completely wrong

The link provided in the article - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/siminoff/pop-the-intersection-of-charging-and-design/posts - tells a different story. Apple changed the rules after Wired brought this to the world's attention. The project is going ahead, and the makers are opening a crate of champagne, from the tone of the post.

h3

Micro usb is a god awful connector. Even mini usb seems to get damaged far less frequently.

Firewire was / is great. (It would be even more useful these days as the ease of use for networking stuff has vastly improved.)

USB is good enough when you have no other option.

I used to use firewire instead of usb 2.0

But now I just use esata. (Or usb if I am at someone's machine without it temporarily).

SCSI/SAS/Firewire were designed properly.

SATA/USB/IDE were cheap hacks.

(No reason why everyone couldn't just use SAS (Probably the same drives could be flashed). Other than price fixing).

Apple is probably fine for quite a few people but definitely not for me.

(It is even a quality thing for many things there is one that is blessed by Apple but stupidly expensive and not necessarily all that good. 3rd party things emulating them are better.

(Look at the controllers that emulate the icade for example.)

GPS devices for the wifi ipad is another situation. (There are 2 and they both cost £100 same price exactly as switching to the 3G ipad). Don't think anyone has emulated this though. There is a cydia app for £5 that allows any BT GPS to be used. It is a complete replacement of the bluetooth stack and it works great it would be trivially easy for them to allow it. (Or put a $5 GPS chip in).

etc etc

Devil

So Rotten Apple won't play nice?

Screw them. They're just jealous that someone else came up with something as elegant and clean as the fabled iToaster.

Simioff: just effing make this. It's a great design and great idea. Just make it, and make the iPwn feeples (fanboi sheeple) buy Dead Steve Jobs' "Lightning" adapter.

The rest of us will line up for this awesome device and make our lives easier, likely without iPwn devices.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018