back to article Fans rap Apple's 'crap' Map app

Apple today faced the ire of thousands of irritated iOS 6 users who upgraded to the new version of the iDevice operating system only to discover the Cupertino's new Maps app is, well, pants. As we noted in our review of iOS 6 yesterday, Apple dropped Google's mapping system in favour of one of its own. The result is an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Also,

Sounds very logical to me, who the heck gave a farm such a silly name.

2. Chet Mannly

"It managed to flag Airfield House (which is a farm up the road from me) as an airport"

Just change the name its not a big deal :-P

3. Gulfie
      Thumb Up

You're using that land incorrectly. Just build a runway, its no big deal.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"With iOS 5, I had generally very good resolution, colour imagery of ancient sites, enough to see features not readily seen on the ground. Now the resolution is lower, so I can't zoom in to examine a feature so closely as before, and many areas are presented in black and white."

Looks like your iDevice is a useless as your peers have been telling you all along! Why are idevice owners so militant to defend what is a really mediocre device/os?

1. Gulfie

Its emperor's new clothes syndrome.

2. Daniel Owen

Work in progress

They should have released this as a beta. Like they did with Siri.

That way they can put all this down to it being a beta.

I am glad they have done this. For me, slightly worse mapping, but with turn by turn is better.

3. zanto
    Trollface

the new here is that

the fanbois actually realized something on their itoy's wasn't good enough.

4. jestersbro
    FAIL

Where's the "Like" button.

In all seriousness though, did no one at Apple ask the question "Would Steve Jobs accept this?"

I guess not. Ho hum, now the inexorable slide into "hasbeenism".

Hey! They can keep Nokia company!

5. Ilgaz

That is nothing

People from Kazakhstan report half of cities missing and some went back to Russia.

Check comment at

http://www.androidpit.com/apple-changes-the-world-5-hilarious-ios6-map-mistakes

Didn't look like a joke to me.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Stop complaining!

The map is correct. You people just built your towns/shops/offices in the wrong places.

8. Nathan 13
    Joke

Maps are definately broken

I put in "quality phone retailer" and it took me to an Apple store :)

9. Paul 181

Old ipad

I was annoyed that my ipad1 couldn't be updated to ios6, feeling a bit smug now

10. MacroRodent
    Coffee/keyboard

The site theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com

has kept me laughing for half an hour now in middle of some private life problems. Particularly the Vilnius airport runways are great (takes a genius to distort like that an area that by definition must be perfectly flat). Thanks, Apple!

11. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Facepalm

Greece and Spain show up as states of Germany ......

..... Oh, never mind. I figured it out.

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Apple Have Form

Apple have form on this. Over a year on from the Final Cut debacle, that updated application still isn't ready for primetime and anecdotal evidence on professional editing forums indicates that Adobe are continuing to hoover up disgruntled ex-FCP editors.

Apple knew what they were doing when they released the map application. As far as they are concerned all is well because their internal corporate culture means they'll all have been back slapping one another prior to the release.

Me? I know better than to jump on any Apple OS release until the early adopters have suffered all the problems. I'll wait for the Google app.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Apple Have Form

The fail started with FCP. Then we had Lion Server. Then we had iPhoto on the iPad, which had some serious bugs in 1.0 - which were fixed - and some eccentric design decisions, which weren't.

But those are niche products with relatively small audiences.

Now we have Maps, which is so mainstream the world's major news outlets are talking about it.

It's a clear pattern of taking successful products and making them weird and broken. Either someone in upper management is attempting to kill the brand and the company, or something has gone very wrong at 1 Infinite Loop.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Gimp

Re: Apple Have Form

What was suggested at the time of the FCP debacle by someone who had been in meetings with them about the release was that Apple don't like negativity internally so nobody speaks out.

13. spidercrab
    FAIL

The town of Barry appears as "Biglis"!

Satelite images are very poor and many places built in the last 5 years are not present within the maps.

The town of Barry appears as "Biglis" - very strange.

Apple get your act together. This is not what is expected.

14. MacroRodent

I get it!

looking at the wavy bridges, skyscrapers and runways on the tumblr site, I finally realized what is going on: this is the famous reality distortion field in action!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So it's new, it's bound to get negative reaction from the conservatives -- and yet..

Anything new gets bad press. People are creatures of habit, they are worshippers of dead radicals.

And yet, when you replace anything existing, you have to provide something the old version did not have. With the new maps, the new snapshot "3D of downtown NY highrises" only does not cut it.

I live in Istanbul. You might have heard of it, it's quite a big town outside the U.S. Google Maps has very good coverage, only surpassed by Yandex (a Russian Google clone/wannabe). Bing Maps is barely adequate. Apple Maps is-quite frankly- only works (as in- does not crash, shows some streets). No decent addresses. No points of interest.

So. for iOS users over here: Finally a Turkish keyboard - hello! Only took 3 major OS revisions, meanwhile no third-party keyboards allowed, and now the new design is so bad -keys being slivers of pixels and all, too narrow to hit, no help at all.

Sorry - the embedded gps maps thing is a lot s***tier too.

Yay! March of progress! Apple knows best!

16. J.G.Harston Silver badge
    FAIL

STOP calling it a maps app. It's an aerial view app.

1. JaitcH
      FAIL

It's a Crap App

and was rushed to market.

Guess Apple needs to employ a screamer like Jobs to get the job done.

17. Sam 6
    Thumb Down

It is a bad app, badly implemented and not ready

This app screws everyone who's used to the old map app. Sure extricate from Google but not before there's something decent in place. I may as well be looking at a blurred satellite map of my area with one eye shut and squinting with the other.

Very poor performance Apple and with a particularly distasteful arrogance until you had something decent to give your customers.

18. JaitcH
    FAIL

Rome wasn't built in a day and ...

Apple has only been buying so-called mapping companies for three years.

Perhaps they should have stuck Beta on it and then everyone would be happy. Siri didn't work well, give Apple a few more years and they will get it right.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope they have a way for users to submit issues and corrections

With over 300 million iOS devices upgradable to iOS 6 out there, this app is going to see a lot of use. Many of the inaccuracies could be addressed quite quickly if there is a SIMPLE method to report issues back to Apple (i.e. a button on the UI, not an email address) They'd need a team of people to investigate and fix them, but presumably they have that in the form of the people working at the mapping company they bought a few years back.

Google's maps didn't get to where they are without a lot of user feedback (for instance, I fixed the location of my business, as searching for the address dropped a pin in a vacant lot a couple hundred yards north of the building's actual location) Apple will need to do the same thing if they hope to catch up.

If Google pushes out the maps app for iOS fairly quickly they could make the Apple maps app suck much longer, as anyone who uses mapping a lot and doesn't need turn by turn would probably install Google's app and mostly ignore Apple's maps.

1. Alex in Tokyo
      Unhappy

Re: I hope they have a way for users to submit issues and corrections

They do have a reporting button for POIs (not for errors in the actual maps themselves). It is also pants.

My local supermarket was available as a POI, and in the right place. Unfortunately it had the name truncated and was listed as a vetinary hospital. I tried to correct this, and discovered that there is no category (in either English or Japanese) for supermarket. 'Magician', yes; 'Brothel', yes; 'Supermarket', no. And no way to create new categories.

Total. Utter. Fail.

20. Mika Peltokorpi
    Holmes

Nokia Maps

http://maps.nokia.com on Safari will do, also (not only Google maps - that usually lags behind Nokia Maps location data in Europe, BTW). Unfortunately 3D version (ref: Flyover in iOS Maps App) works only in Firefox and Chrome.

21. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Boffin

Map data source

Supposedly, iMaps data was derived (in part) from OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/) data. So, what is everyone's experience with the accuracy of that? I've installed it (with a Shuttle Radar Topographic map overlay) for Washington State. And it appears to be pretty accurate here.

So, is OpenStreetMap screwed up in your neighborhood? Or did Apple mess up the conversion?

1. pdxbrit

Re: Map data source

The brief time I spent looking at local openstreetmap data where I live tends to point to the latter. It is both highly detailed and accurate for the areas I looked and with which I am very familiar.

22. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

Sorry I'm late to the comments section

I upgraded my iPad maps then got lost along the way...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like