back to article Why British TV drama is crap – and why this matters to tech firms

It has been years since a contemporary BBC drama caused an office discussion round here. The best American imports such as The Wire and Breaking Bad are all regular conversation pieces but I can’t remember a British one being interesting enough even to worth a mention. And you’ll know why. They’re glossy, expensive and dreadful …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Petrea Mitchell
    Thumb Up

Making it work

Andrew says:

" [...] I quickly discovered how much people love the peculiarities that anchor something in a local context, and give it a specific flavour. Blackout is made-for-export, but has all the British quirks written out."

Indeed, just look at how well Downton Abbey was treated by the Emmys this year.

I'm an anime fan, which means I like watching animated Japanese shows which are frequently produced on a shoestring budget and with no consideration for an export market at all. And yet online distribution is starting to work: most of the anime that airs in Japan is now available within a week, subitled in English, on legal streaming sites where you have the option of either watching for free with ads or with a paid membership and no ads. (And not just in North America-- the most prolific site, Crunchyroll, frequently gets rights to "air" shows to most of the English-speaking world plus some, and there are services only available to other regions.) I look at this and it drives me nuts that the BBC apparently sends new episodes of Top Gear to the US via carrier pigeon, from how long it takes them to air over here.

The only downside is that now that so much of it is accessible, one does get reminded on a regular basis that Sturgeon's Law holds true for everything. But it's worth it to find the good stuff.

2. Beelzeebub

Um...

...I think it's alll shite

3. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

2 pence - and what of comedy?

As many have rightly pointed out, there has been some fantastic british drama over the last few years.

One more to add to the list, was the very short series, 'Black Mirror', which really pushed PC boundaries.

However, when it comes to comedy, it seems it's not only Britain that suffers, but the USA too.

We've had a two reasonable contemporary comedies lately - The IT Crowd from the UK and Big Bang Theory from the US.

Looking further than that, I'm hard pressed to recall anything in the last decade which is truly funny.

All we seem to get now are Quiz shows with comedians, which bolster their stand-up routines and careers.

Nothing wrong with that - some are genuinely funny.

However, we seem to have lost the creative spark that bought out gems such as "The Young Ones" - insanely British, low budget, politically incorrect - that show just how funny we are as a nation.

Perhaps that's half the problem, the majority of us practice comedy all day long at the office and perhaps it's hard for comedies to compete with general, exceptionally politically correct comedy which happens every day in offices up and down the country.

If anything, Political Correctness has killed British TV comedy - it seems we are too afraid to create the comedy which makes us such a funny nation - the ability to poke fun at ourselves and our taboos - for fear of upsetting 0.001% of the population. Yet we practice that same comedy every day, so there's just a TON of material ripe for the picking.

It's time to get a grip on the PC nimbys - take the overall viewings and ratings and compare it with the complaints. If it's over 50% complaints, can the series. Why the hell should 99.998% of the population have to pander to 0.001% ?

1. Rune Moberg
      Thumb Up

Re: 2 pence - and what of comedy?

I am only a simple foreigner, but I quite enjoyed "The Bleak Old Shop Of Stuff" which seems to have been cancelled after only one season.

As for the yanks, "The Big Bang Theory" (as you already mentioned) is a favorite of mine, but I'd rate "Modern Family" higher.

2. Mark #255
      Thumb Up

Re: 2 pence - and what of comedy?

Comedy:

The Thick of It and Twenty Twelve are both utter genius.

Episodes is very engaging, particularly the leads. (And Matt Le Blanc playing "Matt Le Blanc" is very funny.)

Him and Her was very amusing if you can re-engage your inner-sniggering-teenage-boy/regularly read b3ta.com

Of course, for everything I like on the TV, there's several things I can't stand, but that's what the off switch* is for.

* Feel free to replace with "the Internets" or "the DVD collection" if you prefer.

4. Doug Glass
    Go

How to appreciate British TV in one easy lesson

Watch American TV. And yeah, I'm one of 'em.

5. ScottishYorkshireMan
    Meh

It's not crap and you better be right with the US drama you watch.

Why the hell does the mention of the word Google, immediately draw the comments off the subject? If ever there was a company without direction, there you are.

Line of Duty has been excellent. Whether its made for the home audience or not, its been refreshing. However, likewise the US drama's are good, You have to choose carefully though, because if those US drama's dont get the 50B viewers for every episode, you probably won't see the story out to the end. Anyone remember Fast Forward, that I thought was excellent, but no, canned. Body of Proof, thoroughly enjoyable, but it took considerable facebook pressure to keep it on for a 3rd season and that season is coming with major cast changes. Falling Skies, great idea, concept and season 2 was seriously struggling for story until the little chippie in the biplane turned up. I wonder if having Mr Spielberg on the design team will be enough to see a season 3.

Even CSI Miami dies this year and that could have just run forever.

Look at Silk, excellent, personally can't stand lawyers and you want to believe that Martha's type do exist but again short series because money is obviously tight and there are BBC exec expenses to pay. The jewel in the crown was always Spooks, the original team but even the transition to new members was well handled. Even that had to be closed down.

Doctor Who, has become, well something that could well have been directed by Google, directionless.

Here's hoping that those 24 channels that the BBC has opened for the Olympics don't cause the drama budget to be cropped even further.

6. Zot
    Holmes

I know what happened with Blackout.

It was first 'green-lit' and made, THEN a BBC head (Art or something) decided he/she did not actually like it!

So it sat for six months, eventually being cut down from 4 episodes to 3. And it shows. The production was external to the BBC, and what I've heard was, apart from the Director, produced by a complete bunch of idiots who desperately need to grow up and start being f**king professionals. They really didn't know what they were doing, and probably spent half their time on TwitBook, not caring about what they were doing at all.

It was crap because it was produced by childish block-heads. That's why.

*Rant over*

: )

7. Richard Scratcher
    Facepalm

A Very British Coup

Now that was a classic piece of British drama (1982) adapted from a great book. It's a pity we don't get dramas like that these da.......awww shit! Channel Four is doing a remake. Let's hope they don't bugger it up.

1. Tom 13

Re: A Very British Coup

Isn't "bugger it up" redundant as soon as you say "remake"?

I mean, ok, BSG has gotten rave reviews as a remake, but isn't it the exception that proves the rule?

8. Tim Almond
    Meh

License Fee

I'm not sure it matters so much to technology, but I think it does matter with regards to how people see the license fee.

We've been told for decades about all the great things done at the BBC because of how it's uniquely financed, but I honestly can't put their drama or comedy over the things coming out of the US. I'd probably put C4's output above the BBC's now (Being Human was very good, but I'm struggling to think of much else that I set the PVR for). The best two recent comedies (The I.T. Crowd and The Inbetweeners) were both on C4.

9. Richard Lloyd

US dramas are better simply because they make more of them

US TV companies make shed-loads of dramas (and comedies in particular) - they even cram in "mid-season replacements" where they can too. And, yes, things seem to be go in 2 extreme directions - either they get yanked off after a handful of episodes (a massive waste - the unaired episodes may appear months later on the Web or DVD, but sometimes don't appear at all!) or they run far too long (The Simpsons is now so poor - it died after about the 8th of its trillion seasons - and has no reason being on air when the same team are still producing the much funnier Futurama).

It was a bit bizarre that "once was the most popular TV show in the world" CSI Miami got killed off after its 10th season (when CSI:NY is kept on despite having lower viewing figures), though you wonder if it was a contract renegotiation year and no-one could agree. Mind you, the original CSI needs desperately to be killed too now the two main leads (Petersen and Helgenberger) have finally left (Petersen years ago and Helgenberger just recently).

As people have said, the more "stuff" you produce, the more likely that something good will emerge, providing you do have an outlet for it (i.e. premium cable channels). Anything edgy in the US (particularly nudity which is pretty well banned on US network channels) is shown on premium cable and we've seen stuff in recent years like Game Of Thrones, Dexter, True Blood (sorry, it's much better than Being Human), The Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy really leading the way with drama, IMHO. I'm sure for every good UK drama, I could name 5 US dramas equally as good or - often - better.

What we really need is a good "adult" sci-fi drama (the BBC still considers Dr. Who a kids programme, so it doesn't air after the watershed or have any equivalent adult themes). ITV do the dismal Primeval (also not after the watershed) and we have Being Human which I really didn't like, especially since True Blood was waaay better.

I want something like the BSG remake, but the last time we saw sci-fi like that on BBC TV was Blake's 7 (dodgy sets and special effects, but the characters and storylines were often every good) or even Star Cops.

BTW, a recent comment mentioned the 24 Olympics channels - they are paid for by Sky :-) Even the host broadcaster isn't the BBC - it's a Spanish company! That's what you get with the overdone BBC cuts we've had since the licence fee was frozen (shouldn't that mean inflation-sized cuts per year and not the massacre we've seen?).

1. Homer 1
      Coat

More = Better?

By that logic, cockroaches must be better than humans, because there's more of them.

Although it's tempting to believe that statement might actually be true on the other side of the pond, especially in the Content® manufacturing industry.

It may sound reasonable to assume that given enough Content®, something worthwhile will ultimately float to the top of the cesspit, but for some reason the "Infinite Monkeys" theorem doesn't seem to work in America. Maybe the cockroaches would have better luck. Who knows?

The last American production I remember enjoying was "Cheers", which is nether drama nor contemporary, and strangely doesn't seem that funny any more, in this America vs The Rest of the World era.

1. ForthIsNotDead
        Stop

Re: More = Better?

America has had its moments, though not so much recently.

Anyone here old enough to remember Hill Street Blues? Just top notch TV drama, and (at the time) completely new.

10. Daniel Gerson
    Megaphone

Good article in general... & Re:crap American television

I think one of the things you could have focused on, is that Americans produce such top rate shows BECAUSE they produce so much crap!

I.e Scale is important, The more shows in production, the greater supply of production, the lower the production costs.... This in turn makes it cheaper to experiment, which ultimately produces the good shows, even if entirely at random (South Park creators didn't predict THAT particular experiment was the one that would succeed, same as angry birds). So, put another way, the UK doesn't produce sufficient crap, probably because of the CROWDING OUT of the BBC, but that's just speculation.

P.S. As good as the article is, it's not clear how bad shows clearly link to consequences for the Tech sector.

Libertarian leaning South African.

11. davenewman

We make better comedy equivalents of dramas

MI High was an improvement on Spooks. While transformed for children's TV, they also added comedy.

New Tricks was better than Waking the Dead. Comedy cold cases with actors of former TV detectives playing retired policemen beats the forced, US-style, agonizing on Waking the Dead.

Let's celebrate and export quirky British comedy, and forget about the drama.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: We make better comedy equivalents of dramas

I can't believe I upvoted this! New Tricks is like nails on a blackboard, to me, but I like how you contrast it with Waking The Dead.

12. David Gale

There are people who still watch TV?

There are people who still watch TV? Oh, OK. Well enjoy your debate...

Foreign policy dictated news coverage, aspirational lifestyle dramas to keep the good little consumers focused on what we're supposed to want, sports that are more dictated by money than talent, all screened by broadcasters with a political axe to grind.

TV...? No, thanks.

13. elderlybloke
    Thumb Up

I was mystified

when I read this article.

In my opinion (and of my beloved Wife) it is American TV programs of any sort that are Crap.

Most English/British TV is very good.

Even down here in New Zealand the English TV is preferred to American.

14. Tom 13

Now you have me feeling sorry for you lot again.

I mean, if you think our crap is good compared to your shows, it really must suck to be you.

I'd say part of the BBCs problem with worldwide is that the bulk of profits are probably in DVD/Blueray, and being a bloated government type agency if spirit if not point of law, they don't seem to respond well to foreign sensibilities (sort of like US car manufacturers). I know it would put a fair dent in my pocket if they'd release the old (Baker et al) Doctor Who episodes in comparably priced season sets, but there's no way I'm coughing up $25 +tax for the episode set of one adventure and purchase the whole run.

15. ForthIsNotDead
    Unhappy

Ha

American TV:

Endless CSI type programmes

Endless 'law' type programmes

Endless vampire type programmes

British TV

Endless auction programmes

Endless "do up your house programmes"

Line of Duty: Breath of fresh air.

The state of British TV drama is reflected in my DVD collection:

* Edge of darkness

* Tinker Sailor Soldier Spy

* Smileys People

* A Very British Coup

* The House of Cards

* The Sweeney

* Aufhedersien Pet (sp?)

* Soldier Soldier

etc

In other words, it all started tailing off > 1988. Could be an age thing though. My kids think "24" is awesome. I think its terrible. They think Lost is awesome. I thought it was a black comedy. Absolutely hilarious. They say I'm an old square. I say they haven't been treated to a good drama. They thought Smileys People was stodgy old shite.

Meh. I'll stick with what I know, thanks. Enjoying Line of Duty though. And I admit, I do enjoy Ashes to Ashes et all. BT Vision has a "box sets" option in the online menu. You select it and there's probably 50 or 60 full box sets to enjoy. All for free. Bloody excellent.

16. Lamont Cranston
    Thumb Down

No, no, no!

"stretching the audience, knowing that they have DVD and TiVO to allow you to replay the important bits "

This is what books are for. Alan Moore described one of the advantages of books over films as the fact that you can skip back to a previous page and reread it knowing what happens later, allowing you to grasp the import of certain scenes. This is a good thing, but it's certainly not what I want from my TV. TV (like film) should be passive - if I have to skip back on various scenes to make sense of the diaglogue, or follow the plot, that means it hasn't be written properly. Good TV should be easy to follow, and still make sense if you miss an episode - if you can't manage that, write it as a film instead, to be watched in one go.

I gave up on The Wire after the first two episodes, as it was tedious, plodding shite. TV is supposed to entertain, not be a chore. Yeah, I've dissed The Wire, so I'm clearly a massive thicko - downvote me till I burn.

I do agree that most British telly is toss, though.

17. lambda_beta
    WTF?

all TV is CRAP

I would like to chain the author to a chair and watch American TV for a week. Only then would you see the true meaning of CRAP. But to be fair, all TV is CRAP and some is worse than others.

18. Jon Green
    Thumb Down

Were we watching on different planets?

Tell you what, Andy, you just go ahead and enjoy one-hour drama that's teaser-ADVERTS-act1-ADVERTS-act2-ADVERTS-act3-ADVERTS-act4-ADVERTS-epilog(ue). Oh, and some more ADVERTS before the next hour's teaser. For a total of about 42 minutes' actual drama in each hour.

I've written to that format. It's a bitch. You've got to contrive some kind of plot twist every few minutes to time with the ad breaks, because you need to make sure the viewers stay and watch the ads - that's where your pay comes from - and come back for the next act, because that keeps the sweeps+ratings alive, and that's where your next season's (or part season's) paychecks/-ques are coming from. Never mind about the story, never mind about the talent, never mind about the setting, the arc or the production values, just so long as the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR keeps turning up.

You criticise UK drama compared to the US product, but that's because you've come to expect material written to US constraints. British drama doesn't play well in the States, unless it's been written with export in mind, because its pacing doesn't fit well with commercial station broadcast structure, so it ends up on PBS or similar. That's changing. I notice that productions like Sherlock are now written to be broken to US structure; British TV writers are learning.

Yes, the top tier of US TV drama has really improved beyond all expectation in the past 15 years, maybe 20, led by some screenwriters who really cared about quality writing, and some producers and studios who recognised - at LAST! - that if you produce good product, you get ratings and income. But the vast majority of the rest is still ghastly stuff, utter tripe that plays to loyal niches with low expectations that are duly met (near enough). Setting the top-flight programmes of both countries to one side, the general run of British TV is and always has been massively superior to the US (Jeremy Bloody Kyle notwithstanding).

19. F0rdPrefect
    FAIL

"Which is not to say Line of Duty is in the American league. The supporting characters are cyphers. They have little or no psychological complexity or lives of their own. A good test of a drama is how quickly you can imagine the characters having their own spin-off series. By the end of the second series of The Sopranos, each of Tony’s crew was so richly drawn you could imagine a spin-off for each one without too much difficulty. Not here."

Well as they have only had 3 episodes, not 2 long series, they wouldn't have, would they?

There are plenty of good BBC progs that do get discussed in the offices I visit, Sherlock and Dr Who, to name but 2, but I have never heard anybody ever, anywhere discuss The Wire and haven't even heard of Braking Bad.

Perhaps people in the media watch and discuss different programmes?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like