back to article Virgin Media cuts Pirate Bay access for millions of punters

Virgin Media has become the first major telco in Blighty to implement a court order blocking access to notorious BitTorrent search website The Pirate Bay. The move follows a demand in London's High Court late last Friday from Mr Justice Arnold, who told Virgin Media, TalkTalk, BSkyB, Telefonica and Everything Everywhere to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a shame...

Your POV is totally incorrect. the word is DENIAL. Look it up.

Government is saying that a website that openly promotes piracy is going to be banned in an effort to reduce piracy which is a crime. Perhaps when piracy becomes a felony with mandatory jail time those in denial will pull their head out of their arse and get in touch with reality.

If goods are good enough to steal they are good enough to buy. If you can't afford them then you go without. It doesn't matter if it's a pint or a Ferrari. No one is entitled to anything they don't pay for. If you had a clue about staring a new internet you'd already know this.

1. the-it-slayer
        Pint

Re: What a shame...

I'm hardly in denial at all. It's the real world that people are more than happy to go out their way to get something for nothing if it's available. I just don't see the justification for banging up loads (probably a good majority of the UK) of people who have downloaded the content within lets say, the last 5 years. It's people who create the content from copyrighted material is where the efforts should go to restrict this stuff going online. The fact is though, if you put someone in jail for 5 years in one country, someone else will learn how to do it and the problem doesn't go away. That's why banning Piratebay is the biggest waste of time. There's a million and one other sources to go get the material they serve, but don't produce.

Unfortunately, you can't put a physical value on a few 0s and 1s moving around Internet; that's why people don't feel guilty when downloading copyrighted content for nothing. It can be deleted within a few minutes unlike stealing a car/pint/whatever. The biggest problem is that media corps have not got to grips with technology to stamp what they make something valuable within the digital scope. Also include the copyright boundaries between countries, digital protection technology, inability to share digital purchases (like DVDs, CDs, VHS Tapes, MDs could be on the 2nd hand market or with friends/family). The gaming industry is looking to go down this route now as well. It sucks because people don't always have money and what people should be entitled to is a 2nd route to gain goods at lower prices when people have used them. I can do that with a Ferrari/Pint/whatever that's not in the digital scope.

Maybe if I could sell a digital copy of a Beatles album (purchased from iTunes) somewhere for less than it's original value, piracy would decrease. Unfortunately, technology has been created/taken control by the public far-ahead of the media corps because they had they fingers in their ears and singing "la-la-la, people will keep buying overpriced CDs forever". How wrong were they when Napster arrived. So really, this won't happen.

The only other method is to make digital media dirt cheap for the consumer. Oh no, media corps won't do that. They won't make a fortune like they're used to. So in a nutshell, this is the aggressive strategy placed by losing media corps because they don't or won't understand the internet.

By the way, I don't promote stealing. I'm just offering my take on why it's happening.

1. Caesarius
    Coat

Another business model: CCL

I wonder if the CCL scheme (http://www.ccli.co.uk/) could be adapted from Church Use to Private Use. Currently, a church pays for a yearly licence, and a good proportion of this is passed on to the copyright holders according to the periodical reports from churches saying what material has been used.

1. Looking at the price list for licences for a whole church to copy and perform copyright material, I'm sure people would want lower prices per person per year. Would people pay something comparable to the Television Licence fee, or would they only accept something lower?

2. I see that all the copyright holders need to subscribe to the scheme, and that will take a lot of negotiating. Greedy copyright holders might easily spoil things, but it may be a case of "join in or miss out". (Yes, I know that implies people will infringe copyright: I'm trying hard to be realistic ;-) )

3. Perhaps it is too much to ask people to report every song, film and book they have heard, seen and read each month (the CCL model). Perhaps people would report each download? Perhaps the downloads could be logged by the suppliers? I can see problems with all of these.

OK, I'm definitely not presenting something workable yet, but we need something better than the government trying to prop-up the present system.

Thanks for reading this far. I know it's my own fault for posting four days after a hot article ;-)

Mine's the one with last year's newspapers in...

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Another business model: CCL

Interesting - and as someone who plays music in a church I never even realised CCL WAS a church-specific thing!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like