back to article Windows 8 hardware rules 'derail user-friendly Linux'

The question of whether Secure Boot technology in UEFI firmware could exclude Linux from PCs running Windows 8 has taken a fresh twist. Red Hat engineer Matthew Garrett, one of the first to flag up the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface issue, has blogged that Microsoft's rules for certified Windows 8 hardware do not make …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Down

@Aaron Em

Ah! Another 'wait till you grow up' troll. I got news for you I woz all growd up a long, long time ago. As for earning a living, I'm doing quite nicely thank you. All of us on the engineering side of the company use GNU/Linux based systems for the reliability (doncha no). The office staff use Windows (got to be compatible with the customers). Guess which group get all the problems?

1. Adze
      Joke

"Guess which group get all the problems?"

...the ones with admin/root access? :D

Happy

@Adze

Nice parry sir!

If I was the boss I'd offer you the support job... but then again it looks like you've enough smarts to decline it!

1. LaeMing
          Linux

Heh

Have to use the Win at work. The number of hoops I had to jump through to get a second account because I sometimes need admin access to do config and installs, but coming from a real computing environment, have no desire to be logged in admin for day-to-day work...

2. Eduard Coli
    Megaphone

Suits

Guess M$ is starting to feel cocky because they have not been sued in awhile, or is desperate.

Anyone for a new class action suit barring the use of signing as anti-competitive and in violation of earlier agreements from the last time M$ was found to be a illegal monopoly?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Forbidden?

I don't want to buy a machine that even uses the word.

I wouldn't buy it even if it forbade Windows!

Thumb Up

@Thad

This! In a nutshell.

4. Pseu Donyme

How about VMs?

What effect will this have on running Windows 8 on a VM BTW? That is, do VM providers have to get a key from Microsoft (who would thereby be in a position to screw them)?

5. Keep Refrigerated
    Linux

Would it not be ironic, though...

If this ultimately had a negative impact on Windows sales. Bare with me..

Let's assume that currently most Lusers pay the Windows tax and buy popular hardware because it's open and supported; they also run multiple devices and recommend hardware to their friends and family - say an average of 5 Windows devices (wiped and Linux installed) per 2 Windows devices purchased by average consumer.

If Microsoft go ahead with this, then I certainly intend to purchase only from vendors that pre-install Linux. If most other Lusers went the same way, and fled from mainstream locked-down consumer electronics, Microsoft might take a significant hit.

Even with f+f recommendations (it's very easy to spread FUD about how locked down that Packard-Bell computer is they want to buy and how they should buy this cheaper option and purchase the Windows OS separately). I get asked a lot, I even get asked to buy hardware for people as it's all too technical for them.

It might even bring some clarity to the statistics for a change. For years Microsoft has been able to claim the number of Windows licenses sold (excluding downgrades and wipes). We might get to see what the true figure is after you remove the number of Windows that are wiped and replaced by Linux - which I suspect is far higher than website visitor counts.

=== TL;DR ===

By drawing a line in the sand, Microsoft could unintentionally cause a statistical surge in Linux popularity; as multi-PC Lusers flee and buy Linux pre-installed vendors. Thus revealing the hidden percentages of those who pay the Windows tax but wipe and install Linux.

I have 4 devices with Linux installed for which Windows tax was paid. I'm not proud of that fact.

1. Miek
      Linux

"I have 4 devices with Linux installed for which Windows tax was paid. I'm not proud of that fact."

Have you tried obtaining a refund for the unused software, I believe you are entitled to do so within a reasonable* amount of time.

* Entirely based on the suppliers idea of reasonable.

1. Keep Refrigerated

@Miek

Considering 2 of those devices were installed with Linux when I was just exploring and figuring it out - I wasn't aware of such consumer rights and all the issues surrounding technology at the time - far too long and receipts are lost.

Regarding new devices, 1 is a work laptop and the other I suppose I just don't have the time or motivation, but if I was more of an activist I would. Instead, I've committed myself in future to seeking out tech that is not pre-tainted^Winstalled with Microsoft tat.

1. Miek
          Linux

"Instead, I've committed myself in future to seeking out tech that is not pre-tainted^Winstalled with Microsoft tat." -- Good plan and to be fair, I have never reclaimed my wasted money for Windows either.

6. Eradicate all BB entrants

Time for mass downvotes :D

If you are dumb enough to buy the cheap plastic fetid crap that is an OEM pc then you deserve all the heart ache this will provide (which when seen in the wild will be the usual 'we got worked up about this?)

'Waaah waaah waaah, we have to pay the MS tax on oem systems and now we cant install fruity wigglebat13 on it.'

Bloody grow up and build the pc you want to install it on. And before you trot out 'users can't build their own, it's too hard' most component shops will do it for you for £50.

Also laptops, cry about them and I will follow Jay and Silent Bobs example :D

1. Jordan 1

We all have to start somewhere. Not all of us were born in the days before generic whitebox PCs. I bet 99% of the people who use Linux now first tried it on a Dell, or an HP, or a Toshiba. This is about adding a barrier to entry. Lots of people might try Linux if all they have to do is put a CD in their computer and reboot. Not as many will try if they have to enter in a new signing key.

Builidng your own computer (or paying someone about as much as an off-the-shelf computer would cost anyway, what with the cost of Windows to OEMs) won't stop you from having to enter the key. What motherboard manufacturer isn't going to want their motherboard to be certified for use with Windows?

7. phen

Obvious reason to block arm

is subsidized tablets with app/media store. You can't grab that app store money if people can just go around changing their OS all willy nilly. I can imagine MS entering the tablet market at prices similar to the TouchPad's fire-sale if it meant sewing up the market, as long as they can recoup some of the losses from selling apps/games/media.

8. Sly
    Meh

Meh... this is why I build my own kit

granted... the non-portable kit for the most part. Though when I do buy pre-built portable kit, I make sure it's been out for a while already, price has stabilized, I find a sale (hopefully), and it conforms to my current needs and potential future wants (which include the ability to do my bidding after the warranty is up... whether that's just me being able to fix it endlessly or install a different OS or really getting down and dirty and modifying the hardware to accept additional kit). Typically, it's not that hard to find something that fits my criteria. I have yet to buy an OEM system other than a laptop. I've always built my own desktops/towers/servers/etc. This always gives me the best options for price points and typically ends up being about the same price as an OEM system with much better upgradability since I don't have to deal with using OEM kit should something take a dump.

9. zanto
    Pint

what me worry?

micros~1 will need to pay money to make arm based phones with windows sell. that is because no matter how good the hardware, sane people would never pay money for that thrash.

and as far as laptops and desktops are concerned, those of us who want to will fiddle with the bios.

on the other hand, anything that beefs up the utterly pathetic security of windows would be welcome. hopefully it would mean less reboots every day.

10. toadwarrior
    Meh

Not surprised about ARM systems

Microsoft is desperate to get their foot in on the ARM market so of course they want to lock up their devices.

What I find very hypocritical is MS doesn't sell their own hardware (aside from the xbox) and they made their name by systems being free and allowing people to install Windows on their hardware.

I think MS is afraid that what worked for them will work for others. I certainly hope someone puts an end to this. I'll certainly be writing to politicians about this and I hope others do.

1. Neil 7
      Go

@toadwarrior

I hope someone puts an end to it too however in the land of ARM, what works for others (Apple, Google) may this time around work for Microsoft, in which case they may just get away with locking alternative software out of what will most likely become "generic" ARM tablets.

And since tablets are reckoned (by some analysts) to become the new PC, this decision could cause a huge, huge, *HUGE* problem a few more years down the road unless something is done about it *NOW*, preferably with a swift legal judgement to ensure there is no backsliding of any sort whatsoever in the future.

Somehow I doubt the US government is likely to do anything that favours the technically literate consumer and that upsets Microsoft, but perhaps Steelie Neelie will come to the rescue. Unlocked UEFI Secure Boot in Europe with locked/crippled UEFI Secure Boot in the land of the free (USA) will cause absolute chaos (but good chaos!) and hopefully a major backlash against Microsoft.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could I just point out

(because I work for one) that if you go to a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher you can still buy systems with Windows XP preinstalled. Some quite good ones too, due to the refresh cycle.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

war

hackers in the world, declare war on Microsoft!

13. Bob Bobson
    Trollface

No doubt the linux kiddies will hold this tiny concern responsible for the fact that their hobby operating system continues to maintain a 1% market share, despite decades of promotion by thousands of shrill advocates.

1. Chemist

"hobby operating system "

That's the 'hobby' system that's used for most supercomputers, a good proportion of servers, most scientific computing, and a good/great proportion of embedded systems & phones ?

2. Miek
      Linux

To be fair Bob, I don't give a flying F... about market share; I just want to use Linux and that's what this story is really about; locking 'Open Source Advocates' out of the hardware that they purchase.

B.T.W not all Linux users are Kidddies, unlike the Windows Wizard Jockeys out there. Anyone can click "Next, Next, Next, Finish".

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft Authorised/Registered Refurbisher? Excellent.

I thought the official term was Microsoft Authorised Refurbisher, but apparently both apply, I like the concept so much that I've personally done around a half dozen of these things for friends, relatives, neighbours, from companies like Morgan (ok, Bentham these days) and others, and strongly recommend the concept for folks whose needs are relatively lightweight.

The refurb HPQ DC7100 small form factor desktops currently widely available start at well under £100 (for an under-specced system admittedly) but they're built like tanks and last forever. Add a bit of RAM and a DVD drive and it's good to go, with either XP or SuSe (other Linuxes are available; the usefulness of your desktop Linux may go down as well as up. Your job may be at risk if you fail to keep to the corporate line on the OS of choice for the desktop.)

15. RetroTom
    WTF?

Real laws..

Hardware should be required to ship with a functional, free open source OS by default.

Commercial operating systems (including Windows) should be an optional purchase, to be installed by the user. (Insert CD, install away, not hard)

This should apply to Computers, Tablets, Phones etc.

The bundling and shady deals need to stop. The majority of people don't even need Windows, but are forced to pay for it because there are no other realistic options..

Clauses like the one Microsoft are trying to enforce on device manufacturers should be illegal.

16. Alistair
    Linux

UEFI signed boot lockouts.

I'm not certain I'm following all the arguments about this issue at this stage of the game. What I'm betting on is that all we'd have to have "keys" for would be lilo or grub/grub2

Since UEFI will be calling the bootloader, NOT the kernel or initrd

That said, since there's a parallel argument here about linux on the desktop.

I have under my administration at this time ~1350 linux servers, mix of RHEL4 and RHEL5, Proliant and Xseries stuff.

Other than two or three occasions when I've had to update the base initrd for my kickstarts based on hardware, in the last 5 years I've had 3 systems (of that 1350) that presented issues during installation ... all three had obscure hardware problems (one a bad midplane in a DL780G5, two identical cases of an IBM disk controller that had a bad firmware update performed by the previous owner, yes - -they were indeed recycled)

On the server world, my build times are (7 to 14 hours of paper work to get the box racked and cabled, 45 minutes of kickstart/cfengine preconfig, 17 minutes to install) and 2 reboots later I have a production ready box.

I've three linux systems at home, one, my firewall, slack is old old old pc with several nics. It was a 2 hour setup to get it running as the firewall. No issues, but then there's bugger all running on it. One, our eldest's current personal system -- total of 45 minutes to install and get it running, no issues no problems no hiccups. The last one, mine, has been:

Slackware, Gentoo, FC 15, Ubuntu.

Only the gentoo install presented issues, ever, and honestly - - the issues it presented I created by trying to be creative.

Linux also happens to run on my work laptop, with a corporate approved image, and almost (all) the corporate required tools. I have a windows kvm image for the ONLY bit that doesn't run in linux, and am contributing to the effort to port that remaining tool to linux.

I've converted several folks who are not (heavy) gamers to linux systems -- and very rarely get support calls. And I can provide support over the net with an ssh session.

Linux is quite friendly -- most times I've been called to help someone out with a linux desktop issue, they've precipitated the problem by deciding they know more than the OS tools do.

And just in case you wonder; our eldest is a heavy gamer. Wine has come a HELL of a long way in the last while. I would not recommend Linux + wine + windows games to a complete noob, but I will recommend it to someone who has a good idea about basic computing.

And -- well -- excuse me -- I have to go back to my Deus Ex now.

1. C 2
      Pint

A gentleman and a scholar!

That is all.

2. Miek
      Linux

Alistair, I would recommend Cedega for running games under Linux. It worked rather well, but I eventually bought a console for dedicated gaming and watching blu-rays. I rarely boot into XP anymore and when I do it takes an age before it stop making popping sounds a display irritating pop ups in the notification area.

3. Vic

> What I'm betting on is that all we'd have to have "keys" for would be lilo or grub/grub2

Yes.

Where are you going to get those keys? If they're publicly-available, then the whole system falls flat on its arse - the malware makers could sign their bootloader with those keys, and then the rootkit sails straight past the "protection"[1].

Or the key could be unavailable - in which case, you need to get Microsoft to sign every build of grub you want to use. Remember that grub2 is GPLv3, so they won't do this[2].

The whole system is a joke - it doesn't prevent rootkits, just bootloader vectors. Given the capabilities available in all commonly-used OSes these days, it should never be necessary. But implementing it will cause endless grief for anyone trying to use their own property in any fashion slightly removed from the One Microsoft Vision.

Vic.

[1] Once again, I am using the term quite wrongly.

[2] Aside from Microsoft's well-known dislike for the GPL of any flavour, GPLv3 explicitly requires *all* source and build materials to be included in a source distribution - which MS, as the distributor of the binary, would have to ship on. That includes the signing key, without which the binary could nor be built...

17. vincent himpe

i interpret this as :

Microsoft says : We have windows 8 for ARM. If you as a device maker want to install it : here is our criteria : this amount of ram , this graphics , this type of boot ( locked down secure boot )

Sounds like a fair demand to me.

The hardware maker can sell the tablet with win8 preinstalled. You as a user may not be able to modify it.

At the same time nothing provents the same hardware maker of releasing the same hardware with the bios lock disabled and android or linux installed. Or even a blank device. Nothing prevents them doing that.

Microsoft could push it furthere and simply not publicly sell Windows8 installation medium. Just like apple is not selling install disks. You can only get OsX by buying approved hardware that comes with it preinstalled. Microsoft is demanding exactly the same thing with win8 on ARM. Approved hardware. in this case : lock in place.

That lock does NOT prevent you from installing some other system. Simply apply the signed key for your distro and off you go.

Part of the issue is that tablets are seen as 'appliances'. Just like a tv is an appliance. ( this, by the way, is how apple categorises their products too. They are appliances ) . You'd be amazed on how many TV's, laser printers, settopboxes these days actually run a linux kernel. Any TV that can play netflix or blockbuster streams actually has a linux kernel on board. You have ZERO chance of modifying that one. You can't even demand that they disclose the system. The documentation of the TV includes the usual GPL and LGPL statements and they tell you what linux build they use ( most of the time this is MontaVista ). And that is where it stops. The custom code that was built on top is NOT available). Besides the core used there is typically a MIPS in combination with a custom graphics engine. You want to code for those chips ? Here's a few NDA's to sign first... and some fees to pay to various groups like HDMI and MPEG and others. Even before we let you use the precompiled libraries or disclose the API to those.

So what is next ? you are going to demand that you can install android on your TV-set ? or Laserprinter ? Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

Just my 2 cents...

1. Neil 7

@vincent himpe

I would interpret this as being a case of "markerting dollars" being used to bend the arms of the hardware vendors.

Any vendor can ship an ARM tablet with Windows 8, but if they want to put the "Designed for Windows 8" logo on their box (and thus, benefit from the Windows 8 marketing dollars) they *must* lock down the UEFI Secure Boot feature and disallow the booting of alternative software.

If, however, the vendor ships the Windows 8 ARM tablet while also allowing Secure Boot to be disabled (or updated with new keys), that vendor can't have the "Designed for Windows 8" logo and they won't benefit from the Microsoft marketing dollars.

Doesn't this all sound rather familiar?

Assuming I'm correct, and I think I am, this is all down to the presence - or lack - of the Windows 8 logo on the box.

It's obvious then that the Secure Boot lockdown on ARM is *NOT* being enforced for technical reasons, and is not being enforced to improve the security of the Windows 8 OS (it's not, for instance, required on PC's). The lockdown serves only to prevent the installation of alternative software - which is surely anti-competitive - and the Microsoft marketing dollars are the greasing of the wheels.

1. vincent himpe

agree

want win8 logo on box : lock bios down.

But NOTHING prevents you from also selling an unlocked version WITHOUT win8 logo on the box . you could even pre-load android. Same identical hardware. Just a matter of a different flash image ( one flash image has uefi bios + win8 , other image has non uefi bios and android.

Electronically NOTHING changes. same board , same chips. just a matter of what is stored in the flash .

The problem is going to be the law of diminshing returns. Do we really wan to go through the effort of creating a different flash image , print an alternat box / manual and push it on the shelves.. where it most likely will be collecting dust. There are already so many tablets out there...

2. Vic

Re: i interpret this as

Your interpretation is wrong.

What this is saying is that if one of the component manufacturers - e.g. Foxconn - wants the Win8 certification label on its box, it must implement this strategy that gives Microsoft complete control over ever bootloader that ever runs on that board.

Now it is true that said manufacturer could build two options - one with the label, one without. But that's additional overhead for everyone, and there is always the probability that someone will accidentally end up with something he didn't want. So it's downside all the way, unless you're Microsoft.

So what's the commensurate upside for punters? Well, there isn't one, really.

Vic.

18. C 2
    Trollface

How long until this 'signing key'

... is stolen, hacked or whatever.

Micros~1 security = joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm just wondering what it would take for someone/some group to create the inevitable distributed computing project to reverse engineer the necessary Microsoft UEFI Secure Boot keys (I'd happily donate all my available cores 24x7).

Once that project is successful - and given enough compute power there's little reason to suspect it won't be - the UEFI Secure Boot feature as far as Microsoft is concerned may as well not be enabled, it will be wide open (to abuse, and to Linux). Do Microsoft really want this to happen?

Not sure if the keys, once determined, will be subject to some sort of DMCA-type legal action although by then it will all be too late. Far, far too late.

I also assume Microsoft could issue each manufacturer with a unique signing key, restricting tablets to manufacturer specific versions and builds of Windows 8. Maybe manufacturers will accidentally "lose" the keys as they always seem to do, again rendering the whole "locked Secure Boot" exercise completely moot.

1. Ben Tasker

@AC

I was wondering about that last night, but can't quite work out an easy mechanism for cracking it. I may have been missing something, but I figure you'd need to sign a boot image with Key A, see if UEFI accepts it, move onto Key B etc.

May well be missing something as I've been a tad sleep deprived of late. Seems like a lot of hassle, but doesn't mean it won't happen.

1. Neil 7

@Ben Tasker

Brute force would be one method - I assume the Microsoft key installed in UEFI BIOS can be extracted one way or another, and once extracted a brute force attack would eventually yield the signing key. Having to try and boot a signed OS to see if it's got the right key wouldn't be very practical though!

Of course brighter minds may find shortcuts to determining the signing key, particularly if Microsoft and/or the UEFI designers used the same security geniuses as Sony... let's hope so - great for lols plus saving a lot of time and hassle. :)

I guess the point is though that if Microsoft weren't being such total douche bags over ARM tablets, fewer people would seriously bother trying to crack their signing key, and any attempt to do so would not enjoy widespread popular support. Microsoft are baiting people and inviting them to blow their security wide open, this seems like a risk they think is worth taking. Can't say I agree though.

2. Miek
      Linux

@ C 2

a bit like the "So you sank my battleship" sony debacle.

3. Paul 129
      Devil

That would work in MS favour

They simply mandate a new set of signing keys for the hardware. Result, you still don't have access to the latest hardware, installation headaches as you have to discover what keys do actually work.

MS can still say they aren't being anticompetitive. Look you can still install linux, it's not our fault that the PC manufacturers make life difficult for Linux.

19. david 12 Silver badge

Certified for Windows

I've never used 'certified for Windows' hardware, and I'm unlikely to start now.

I wrote Windows software for years, on Windows PCs. The certification pocess has been around 15-20 years, and it's an important way for companies like DELL to diferentiate their hardware from the ordinary white box PC's I use.

There is also a 'certified for Windows' software certification. Unlike Apple, MS doesn't control the supply channel, so 'certified for Windows' software is no more important than 'certified for Windows' hardware.

20. Dave Bell
    Big Brother

Other markets.

Will I be able to install Windows 8 on a machine which doesn't have this secure loader feature, such as a machine I bought with Windows 7. Or a machine I assembled from parts?

Will Windows 8 be available to small companies assembling computers from parts.

Given that different countries have different laws on corporate structures, can Microsoft reliably distinguish between private individuals and businesses in setting their rules on who can do what?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Linux - time to step up to the plate, but who?...

Luckily this is comment #160 or something, so the hail of bullets won't actually arrive...

Microsoft is a hard nosed business and it's going ahead with this no matter what.

The OEM's will all be on board, especially in this financial climate, with the hope that windows 8 will shift hardware.

Bottom line, they will march to the microsoft drum regardless.

So, it seems obvious to me, that the biggest players in Linux, if they actually give a damn, will need to step up to the plate and start talking to OEM's.

I can't see this happening. Canonical with Ubuntu want to tackle the mobile device market.

Suse - not even sure where they figure.

RedHat - server only

Who else is there?

Just individuals passionate about Linux - and to be honest, I don't really care if anyone else installs Linux or not. Windows is good, Mac is good, Linux is good.

It's not like I feel it should be my mission in life to convert people to penguin power, other than tell them how good it is.

22. Coofer Cat
    FAIL

Fails at stated purpose (except on Arm)

As it stands, this completely fails to meet it's stated purpose. A properly secured OS can't be rooted unless you have physical access to the hardware. Since you need to physically on the hardware to install new keys, you gain absolutely nothing from this. Unless of course you have a poorly secured OS ;-)

As for Arm systems, this approach actually does perform as advertised, although as noted, at the expense of Linux and any other OS.

I suspect bodies such as the EU and others will hamper the attempt to completely lock Linux out. We may well end up with a situation where machines come with secure boot to Windows only, or have insecure boot (ie. the feature disabled, rather than changeable keys). Either way, all of this would be unnecessary if Microsoft could make a half way decently secured OS.

23. blondie101
    Stop

devestating for some dutch gov

In the netherlands there is a large department that uses a secure memory stick as booting device to connect to the department's network. Personal equipment is used. This MS policy will harm all users big time when it starts to prevent officers to use their fresh bought laptop/pc to use this stick. If Dutch gov is wise they have to protect there investment now by stopping MS with this policy.

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward
      Meh

Dutch government wise?

@Blondie101: Ehm.... well. That did give me a chuckle (sad one though)

24. Herby

But there are OTHER boot methods which will be screwed up!

In current systems (ones that have shipped for about 10 years), there are network boot procedures (PXE boot). Will these be "signed" as well. Now there are the floppies (if anyone uses these anymore), CD/DVD's and (as mentioned above) thumb drives. Lots of these will be broken if this goes through.

So, this is generally a "BIG FAIL". What else is new?

25. Nameless Faceless Computer User

yea right

Firmware signatures are less to do with "protecting" users from root kits and more to do with moving Windows Genuine Advantage to the hardware. Microsoft only does what benefits Microsoft.

26. OnTheSpecialBus
    Stop

WTF is all that noise in here ?

Locking out Linux ?

I have just been reading a Red Hat doc titled "GRUB and the boot process on UEFI-based x86 systems"

It doesnt look too hard, for a fat fingered oaf like myself.

Some of you flamers could probably do it too.

So calm it down chaps, penguin power still appears to be an option

Linkage for the lazy

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s2-grub-whatis-booting-uefi.html

1. Vic

> I have just been reading a Red Hat doc titled "GRUB and the boot

> process on UEFI-based x86 systems"

UEFI != Secure Boot.

> It doesnt look too hard, for a fat fingered oaf like myself.

If your system does not permit secure boot to be disabled, or you don't have the ability to add new keys, it isn't just hard, it's downright impossible.

Even if you can - is this the sort of thing we want newbies to have to do?

Vic.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like