back to article Steve Jobs named most influential game guy – ever

Who has been most influential person in gaming history? The late Steve Jobs. What is the product that has most influenced game development? The iPhone. No, those aren't the opinions of mere fervid fanbois; they're the considered conclusions of 1,000 gaming-industry executives surveyed in the run-up to next week's London Games …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Adam T

Sums up the games industry's top brass.

Fill a room with a thousand executives and this is what you get.

They all love Steve Jobs because he gave them In-App purchases. You ask what's the greatest thing to happen to games,ever, and the reply is fucking "Smurf-berries".

2. mraak
    Flame

How about?

How about some F**** Macromedia Flash?? Huh idiots? Wasn't it Flash who brought casual gaming to the masses and even influenced the large majority of games on iStuff??

3. MJI Silver badge

No Carmack

At least Newell was there.

4. sisk Silver badge

You have GOT to be kidding me. The games on iOS are pretty much the same sorts of games that have been on NewGrounds for 10 years now, only with a touchscreen instead of a mouse. What fantasy world are these people living in?

5. DJO Silver badge
    Facepalm

Wot, no Elite

David Braben - nothing else to say.

6. Fatty Eglon
    FAIL

Jim Royle says ...

'..that list .... the crease of my batty!!'

7. Scott 62
    Thumb Up

gaben deserves his place on the list, as does shigsy (just typing that reminds me of Digitiser back in't day!), the rest are shit, tbh

To round off my list I'd put the Infinity Ward guys, Peter Molyneux and Carmack.

Although admittedly the inclusion of Molynuex is 99% nostalgia goggles, I'm not sure how well his games stand up against the test of time...although I suspect Dungeon Keeper will still be as awesome as it was when I was 15.

8. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Will Crowther

I see others have mentioned the Atari VCS / 2600 (which should probably have the first spot on the "devices" list; the iPhone has no right to be there at all), but I couldn't find any mention of Crowther. He wrote the original Colossal Cave Adventure, the progenitor of text-based games like the Zork family, and an ancestor of the many graphics-and-text games like the ones built on the SCUMM engine.

Crowther definitely bumps Zuckhead off the "people" list. The latter did nothing for video gaming anyway; he just opened another platform, and the game authors came. It's not like that was the fulfillment of some brilliant secret Zuckly strategy. But then I'd kick the astronomically-overrated Jobs off two, which leaves two open slots.

The Miller brothers of Myst fame also at least tie with some of the less-inspired choices on that list, so we could slot them in at #5; but then I'm sure I'm forgetting many other worthies.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I Heard..

Steve Jobs shortened WWII by 2 years and saved 20 million lives. He defeated the Germans one day while out in his sailing boat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yup

Couldn't have been the Russians at all. No way.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019