back to article Gay-bashing cult plans picket of Steve Jobs funeral

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) have announced their intention to protest at the funeral of Steve Jobs, in a Twitter message sent via an iPhone. The group, best known for their rainbow "God hates fags" signs and web page, are claiming the action is in response to Jobs not using his wealth to promote their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

If you like I can prove on a scientific logical basis that God exists

no you cant it's all bollocks

grow up

credulous fool

This organisation can have no validity whatever

They can't even spell Westborough correctly...

Silver badge
Coat

You mean

Westbarooga?

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Simple solution...

Bury Steve in the UK where free speech doesn't allow people to crash funerals with protests.

I'll never understand why Americans protect this when they outlaw other speech, such as racism and anti-semitism.

Happy

WBC Banned in UK

We don't have to worry about the Westboro BC causing this type of problem in the UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7898972.stm

Thumb Down

Yup

More censorship, and restrictions on freedom.

Great, just what the UK needs.

Joke

Screw it!

Well if we're all off on spurious pickets, I'm picketing the company across the road....for, ermm....not promoting my photography! Yeah I know they make sandwiches and sell cakes, but they could promote my artistic work more!!!!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Plus...

They're barred from the UK...

Silver badge

How can we fight these idiots?

Very simple, as far as I am concerned. They seek violent reactions and sue as a result, so we should deny them that reaction. Instead, we should show them love and understanding, and here's what I have in mind.

If you see these people protesting anything, don't shout, don't jeer, go up to them, pick a member of their organisation the same sex as yourself, and come on to them. I mean REALLY come on to them, and don't stop until they give the kind of reaction they want from others.

Even if it doesn't work, it'd be a laugh.

Where's the big-wet-sloppy-kiss icon?

Anonymous Coward

Staying Legal

There are times when I fantasise about ways of making life hell for this group. Are there ways, for instance, of making their travel to a protest difficult? How do they travel? Are there lists they might get on? And I can't really see any legal ways of setting them up for grief.

The mental image of a broken-down micro-bus full of Westboro Baptists, as the rain keeps on falling and the creek rises is still sorta amusing.

Stop

PR

They are a very small bunch of bigoted idiots but they are VERY good at PR.

How can a (large) family manage to get weekly press coverage ???

Just ignore them and they'll disappear.

Incest?

They are all a bunch of inbred idiots. End of story.

Anonymous Coward

".....group called off many of their proposed action and went home to Topeka, Kansas."

Kansas! Funny! Back to the home of Dorothy. No wonder they're upset about "fags".

Joke

Going back to Kansas

I suppose they just click their heels together three times and say "There's no place like home, there's no place like home...".

Mushroom

Please. Oh, please...

I don't wish to suggest that their words and actions are somehow more hateful or repulsive just because on this occasion they happen to be concerned with Steve Jobs. They're not. Their obscene and vile actions towards members of the military and gay community (to name but two) are just as repellent.

But I hope they really do try and show up at SJ's funeral, and I really hope they finally get to feel some serious consequences for their evil.

Trollface

They're the ultimate trolls. Even Trolls get smacked down eventually.

*glances at watch*

Anonymous Coward

The Title should read...

"Jobless and Brainless cult with nothing better to do...." plans picket

Thumb Up

If I had the money

I would build a purpose built gay / lesbian resort right next to their house.

Alternatively, patent the term "fag" and sue them for copyright infringement.

Anonymous Coward

Please stop

These hypocritical, attention seeking scum should be completely ignored by all intelligent people.

I don't get it, God isn't reality, it's just belief. Gay's are reality.

Clearly Gays > God. (probably why this fictional character of a bed time story 2000 years ago isn't quite happy with peeps over at gay central)

Or in other words, quit trolling and respect the man (and his family) who pushed the realms of todays technology to the limit, advancing us into the smartphone era.

+1 for iPhoning them to death.

Silver badge
Flame

It's their hell (Westboro's)

They can burn in it.

Anonymous Coward

I vote for

a load of Brits to turn up with signs saying "God hates cigarettes".

Silver badge
Mushroom

WBC are doing EXACTLY what this god-fella wants

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Anonymous Coward

As said above...

God has mellowed since then.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Thumb Down

The new testament is not as bad

But it is bad.

Anonymous Coward

This God fella to whom you refer?

True, that's an accurate description but does any semi-intelligent human in this day and age not realise that the Old Testament was written by some blokes a long time ago? There will always be shepherds and sheep.

Linux

Wait for them to turn up and ......

Silver badge

They're not so much a cult as a group of lawyers who provoke people into trying to ban protests and then taking them to court under constitutional law.

It's a scam and sadly it's worked well enough for them to make a living out of it.

The only good news is that they promise to picket all sorts of places (such as the funerals of the murdered kids in Norway) and rarely turn up.

FAIL

I'm really sorry, I know it's not really funny, but -

HA HA HAH AHAHA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Very much to their faces.

What a bunch of complete losers.

As an aside, I don't care what their God wants; even if she exists, if she's that feckin' petty she ain't getting my "vote". I'd rather rot in hell for all eternity than worship at the feet of a cretinous bigot.

Their contact us form could be quite useful in telling them how disgusting they are

http://www.godhatesfags.com/contact.html

Stop

Attention seekers

I really wish the media (yes that means you!) would stop giving these morons the attention they so clearly want. Ignore them and they will go away.

Stop

stop giving these loons the publicity they so desperately seek.

Anonymous Coward

Any further into the closet

and Phelps would be in Narnia!

Thumb Up

Closet!

That's the word I was looking for - thanks for that. I've always considered the loudest gay bashers closet homosexuals when they don't even realise that? What would I do for laughs without the internet, I just don't know

g e
FAIL

In other, less reported news....

The WBC loons forgot to point out that God Hates Haters too...

Linux

Taunt then sue

They're figuring on the mourners being upset enough to get physical, then they sue for assault, etc.

I particularly liked hearing about the counter-protest at the San Diego Comic-Con completely pwning them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jml1_EfCyTA

Windows

One has to firstly assume...

...that if "God Hates Fags", God is an entity.

Fags are great! (I smoke 20/day, I should know), but I've yet to smoke one with God.

you sir are a dick (and a limp shrivelled one at that)

"Fags are great! (I smoke 20/day, I should know)"

been there, done that, got the lung function test results to prove it.

in the doctors own words "if you don't stop smoking and start exercising, BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOU"

i put the caps in myself, he actually said it in a very matter of fact tone, and being an ex-army doctor didn't really look like he gave a shit what happens.

Boffin

Hey zanto the dick caller...hello?

You're not trying to start an argument are you? What a total big trolling pussy! Andus seems ok to me but that's my judgement only you stupid little nobstretch

Happy

@ Mr. Young

if taking issue with smoking is trolling, then yes i am a troll.

there are a million ways i can reply to your post, but nah, it's only smoking and what it does that i have an issue with.

i do apologize however seeing how i seem to have hurt your feelings. for the record i only called the OP a dick because he claimed fags are great. and your post just justified my stance that there are a lot of impressionable young minds who just might get the wrong idea.

happy face icon to make you feel better.

Rev Ian Paisley / Lord Bannside on the death of Steve Jobs

Think the REV IAN PAISLEY gets it right in today`s Belfast News Letter article on Jobs `Learn how to live before you die` - Columnists - News Letter - http://goo.gl/V4Z9N

Pint

"Gay-bashing cult..."

I'm pretty sure there's a typo in there, but I just can't quite see it...

FAIL

Pointless, but sad also.

Given they number in the 100 range, let's be thankful this intolerant and misguided line of thinking is extremely rare in the grand scheme of things.

It's just hugely disrespectful that they choose someone's funeral to make a point of it. Jobs retired and handed the reins to Tim Cook in August, that was the time to do it, if at all.

Anonymous Coward

God = Aliens

The Acient Alien theory is that "God" is an alien.

In the movie Paul, Paul the alien smokes plenty of fags.

Therefore "God" does not hate fags.

Not many "confirmed bachelors" in the Bible, but...

Pleased as man with man to dwell

Jesus, our Emmanuel

Metagaming

Protest, get attacked, sue.

I can't help thinking this a bit like jetcan flipping in Eve Online...

Paris Hilton

Please please please ignore publicity whore trolls.

I have told my four year old that when we walk down the street, she does not have to point out every dog turd in a loud voice. If she can learn that, surely the press can, too.

Megaphone

Like ALL...

...Bible, Quran, Torah (or fill in your tome of choice here) toting religious nut-jobs...EVERYWHERE..they are a dangerous lot.

WTF?

One word to describe these people.....

Starts with a C & also contains NUTS.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018