back to article Ecuador says 'yes' to Assange 'freedom' deal, but Julian says 'nyet'

Wikileaks alumnus Julian Assange has apparently turned down a proposed deal that would have seen him leave the Ecuadorian embassy he has been camped out in for over six years. The government-secrets spaffing outfit on Friday confirmed that it would not be taking a deal that Ecuador has struck with the UK that would have given …

Page:

1. Casca

Re: Perspective

Ah, yes. The mindless drones that don't believe in Deep state or the other drivel trumpettmorons spout… Go back in your hole.

1. Bibbit

Let him rot.

Accused of rape, skipped bail, scarpered to an embassy. Just follow the law. And besides, neglecting his cat tells you all you need to know. I suspect Trump has a pardon for him in any case if he were to get a free trip overseas.

Maybe he should apply for the Sports Ambassador to the CAR? I believe Boris Becker is no longer interested and the diplomatic immunity could be handy.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Let him rot.

"Accused of rape, skipped bail, scarpered to an embassy. Just follow the law."

How do you feel about Snowden? He'd probably be convicted of treason, yet most people are delighted for him to be at large.

"I suspect Trump has a pardon for him in any case"

Why would he pardon him? Assange has been so much demonized in Fox and other US media that pardoning him would be politically very stupid, even from Trump.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Whataboutism in action.

2. FlamingDeath Bronze badge

I think the tabloids have rotted your brain

It's very easy to accuse someone of rape, and for it to be complete lies

I'm sure the women involved were rewarded for their loyalty

But lets not lose perspective here, this is about war crimes, pure and simple

You can try to shift the focus as much as you like, you're about as convincing as "Jihadi John"

Now fuck off

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's very easy to accuse someone of rape, and for it to be complete lies

True, that's why they have investigations, and rather thorough ones at that. But scampering before anyone can ask you so you can clear your name is not exactly helping, especially if you then engage in tactics such as abusing the asylum mechanism to hide from the investigation.

I'm sure the women involved were rewarded for their loyalty

I note with interest that you do not give the women the benefit of the doubt you generously seek to extend to Assange. Assange & apologists were in the press all the time since, the women were not which is also not exactly balanced. An investigation is running against Assange, none against the women. I know logic is not exactly a strong point with those that follow St Jules™, but it's amusing how you continue to prove it.

Now fuck off

Why? Having trouble getting your tangled reasoning accepted?

2. Casca

Yes, please fuck off...

3. BitEagle

So by your logic, he must be innocent of rape because he releases US secrets?

That would go some way towards explaining our low conviction rate for sexual assaults. Does he play professional football too? If so, I'm surprised they even bothered to report him.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That reminds me, how is the other public lynching candidate Kim Dot Com doing ?

This is running on much longer than Chuck Tatum (Ace in The Hole, 1951) could ever have imagined in his wildest dreams.

3. Danny 2 Silver badge

The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP) is currently waiting on District Judge Leonie Brinkema deciding whether charges against Assange in the US should be declassified.

The Ecuador/UK deal is a distraction because the real threat Assange faces in the US is not the death penalty, but unjust and disproportionate prison. You don't have to like the guy to recognise that the only solution is for the UK government to promise not to extradite him to the US.

Oh, and the cat is out and being cared for by his family. It was an utterly dick move by the Ecuadoreans to falsely imply he'd mistreated it and threaten to give it away.

1. Ben Tasker Silver badge

> You don't have to like the guy to recognise that the only solution is for the UK government to promise not to extradite him to the US.

No Country can realistically promise that when a request has not even yet been received. It's effectively putting your diplomatic relationship with another country at risk all to benefit one man, with no certainty of what the request is actually going to be.

If the US turn up and say "Him, he's a bit of a prick - give him here", then you'd feel more comfortable saying "yeah, he is. But no, can't have him from us" than if they turned up and said that some information he'd leaked had resulted in an attempt on the president's life, and he's being treated as an accessory.

Unlikely as the second one is, the point is that if you promise in advance not to extradite to the US, you run the risk of causing yourself a serious diplomatic incident because you have no idea how severe the charges are going to be in the eyes of the other state (or in fact their people).

That's why extradition requests are generally assessed on a per-case basis, and factor in the likely punishments.

Sweden couldn't possibly have issued a guarantee, and nor can the UK. It's a trope trotted out by Assange and his supporters to try and justify his position, when the reality is probably summed up this sentence in the article:

> wouldn't have guaranteed Assange's freedom outright

Unless he can walk out with a guarantee not to be arrested, much less do any time, he's going to stay put.

1. Danny 2 Silver badge

Senior Americans have called for Assange to be killed which alone should be enough to rule out any extradition.

Personally I feel we should not extradite anyone to the US except perhaps fleeing American criminals. I think the UK–US extradition treaty of 2003 should be rescinded. It's utterly one sided so a betrayal of British sovereignty. If I commit a crime on British soil then I should be charged in a British court and imprisoned in a British prison, not sent off to a politicised [judges should not be elected or appointed by the head of state] US court and sent to their privatised rape gulags.

Assange has not committed a crime in the US. He has said he is willing to spend time in an English prison for skipping bail, or even be extradited to Sweden, as long as he is assured he will not be extradited to the US which has a long and ongoing history of political show trials [Manning, Winner, and potentially Snowden].

I'm not an Assange fanbois, I think he disgraced Wikileaks with his attempt at election meddling, but I resent the expense of policing him in the embassy and wish a sensible UK politician or judge would guarantee no extradition to the US as a compromise out of this ridiculous stalemate. Even Soviet Hungary eventually gave József Mindszenty safe passage

1. Rich 11 Silver badge

Senior Americans have called for Assange to be killed

Senior Americans have called for entire nations to be killed. Phrases like 'bomb them back to the stone age' and 'turn their deserts to glass' have upon occasion been bandied around. But perhaps none of that actually matters, since for the most part you can see those selfsame senior Americans in church on a Sunday praising the Prince of Peace and turning the other cheek just as their pastor reminds them to do. Well, except for those pastors who don't.

1. StargateSg7 Bronze badge

"....Senior Americans have called for entire nations to be killed. Phrases like 'bomb them back to the stone age' and 'turn their deserts to glass' have upon occasion been bandied around. But perhaps none of that actually matters, since for the most part you can see those selfsame senior Americans in church on a Sunday praising the Prince of Peace and turning the other cheek just as their pastor reminds them to do. Well, except for those pastors who don't...."

---

Well,,,maybe it's time to give them a taste of their own medicine....if they THREATEN to kill others...then it's time to TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY and threaten them back and when appropriate, if "THEY" are a true danger to others, take them out for real !!! NEVER underestimate a threat! Hit back harder and ALWAYS TAKE THEM OUT before they take YOU out!

1. Rich 11 Silver badge

Oh wow, a shouty diehard fan of the Bush Doctrine. Do you belt people in the street for looking at you funny?

4. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

What will mostly

likely happen when they finally get sick of him and move the embassy 4 doors down the street in the middle of the night without telling Julian is that the british police will arrest him, he'll get charged with bail jumping and done for that, at which point we'll ask the swedes if they want him, if its yes , he'll be sent there post haste, if no, the US 'may' ask for him to be sent there.

In all cases , he'll fight it in the courts as far as he can, but due to jumping bail the first time , he'll be deemed a flight risk and held on remand.

Assuming neither sweden or the USA want him, he'll get deported to Australia so he can go relive old times by locking himself in his mom's basement with nothing but a mobile phone and a cat for company....

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: What will mostly

"In all cases , he'll fight it in the courts as far as he can,"

That's why he jumped bail in the UK. He'd fought it through the courts, losing at every stage and was due a final appearance which he obviously was expecting to lose as well, so he ran away from the consequences of his actions.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: What will mostly

"so he ran away from the consequences of his actions."

And at the same time demonstrated his foresight by carrying out another consequence bearing action.

5. YARR

Here's to another six years of Ecuadorian freedom

Maybe if they offered him internet acess in the event of incarceration, that would tip the balance in favour of leaving? If he still refuses, he likely escaped years ago and has a body double hired for balcony appearances.

6. The Nazz Silver badge

Alternative solution?

Can we not have him appointed to the Board of Huawei?

1. Danny 2 Silver badge

Re: Alternative solution?

The arrest of Meng Wanzhou is a telling comparison. An insane US President sanctions Iran, and now gets to arrest third party nationals in Canada? Eff that for a game of soldiers!

Even Obama before him threatened to have the founders of SWIFT arrested and extradited from Belgium because SWIFT connected Iranian banks.

You're not the boss of me now

and you're not so big

1. ibmalone Silver badge

The arrest of Meng Wanzhou is a telling comparison. An insane US President sanctions Iran, and now gets to arrest third party nationals in Canada? Eff that for a game of soldiers!

"The Supreme Court of British Columbia was told that Ms Meng had used a Huawei subsidiary called Skycom to evade sanctions on Iran between 2009 and 2014." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46494935

Meng Wanzhou is accused of breaking the sanctions a number of years ago, not the ones introduced by the current US president.

1. Danny 2 Silver badge

Hiya Imbalone,

My point was US sanctions should only apply to US citizens and US corporations and US banks. The US Government should not be able to arrest a Chinese citizen in Canada for breaking US sanctions on Iran.

Nobody elected the US President as President of the Earth.

This is over-reach. This is imperial. It is very similar to the Assange case in those terms. I am not a fan of dictatorial China, but I would not be upset if they arrested every US citizen in China on trumped up charges - if they did then what would your complaint be?

We have various international bodies, like the UN, ICC, IJC, to deal with international issues. Canada has shamed itself with this arrest.

US courts have no jurisdiction outside the US. We should stop kowtowing to them. I'm not anti-American, I just think I am the equal of any US citizen - and I am much, much better than their current politicians and judiciary.

Eff them.

1. Clunking Fist Bronze badge

"My point was US sanctions should only apply to US citizens and US corporations and US banks."

Ms Meng's organisation (a US subsidiary/associate of Huawei) is accused of buying US technology, on the express condition that it NOT be sold to Iran.... and sold it to Iran.

And they allegedly knew they were doing wrong, because, allegedly, the payment was laundered.

2. Chronos Silver badge

Meng Wanzhou is accused of breaking the sanctions a number of years ago, not the ones introduced by the current US president.

Irrelevant. She didn't commit that "offence" under the jurisdiction of the US and wasn't on US soil upon her arrest. The arrest is blatant disregard for international law and needs rectifying, otherwise there will be no state visits by some very prominent European leaders to the North American continent for quite some time.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Canada has had sanctions against Iran for a while.

It also has a extradition treaty with US.

1. Chronos Silver badge

Still irrelevant. Canada has no jurisdiction over a Chinese company. In fact, unless any US or Canadian resources were diverted through Huawei's shell company they have exactly zero grounds to detain a citizen of a foreign nation, regardless of that nation's status or involvement in a trade war with a straw-headed moron. Those sanctions only apply to subject citizens and corporate entities. Germany has flat-out told Arsenoise to go piss up a rope with them this time around. Ms Meng was just low-hanging fruit and they're relying on their "China Bad" propaganda to stop the general population thinking too much about the precedent this nonsense sets.

In Moriarty's Spin series of novels' timeline, the US is listed as a rogue nation by the UN. I think I begin to see how it got that status. If we're going to take the moral high ground, that pinnacle had better be built on solid foundations rather than a gilded turd sitting atop a load of self-interest.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Canada has a process, like many other countries, for detaining a suspect then deciding if the detention is warranted.

The process may take a day or so, but it is a process. The process will decide whether a crime has possibly been committed in Canada or if Ms Meng should be sent on her way.

1. ibmalone Silver badge

Canada has a process, like many other countries, for detaining a suspect then deciding if the detention is warranted.

Indeed, it's one of those things, you are free to ignore the laws of other countries, but you've got to accept then there may be consequences to visiting them or their close allies afterwards. International sanctions rely on this, and the people who are high up in multinationals know that and what the implications are. The allegations against Ms Meng centre around using a separate company to try and hide her involvement.

Not that I think the sanctions against Iran are particularly constructive, or that reintroducing them at this time has any point beyond the theatrics of the current US president.

7. applebyJedi

He not cooped up

Cryptome have photos of a "woman" they claim is Assange, leaving the Ecuadorian embassy and going on shopping trips.

1. Danny 2 Silver badge

Re: He not cooped up

That's Pamela Anderson. Admittedly neither of them have aged well, hence your confusion.

I was much amused by Cryptome John Whathisname's hostility to Wikileaks initially, but that hostility quickly became pathetic and ruined the credibility of Cryptome.

You need to ask yourself, do you really think Assange could bypass the Met AND get out on London streets AND restrain himself from posting?

8. Tom Paine Silver badge

If he had the brains he was born with...

...he'd come out now, get nicked, get extradited, be tried for being a Russian agent, jailed and immediately pardoned by his pal in the White House. The longer he leaves it, the less likely it is that the presidential pardon will still be available.

9. Bruce Ordway

Is there money involved, and where does it come from/go to?

6 years in an Embassy?

I don't have much of an opinion on Julian Assange.

However, I am curious about any financial deals related to his residency at the embassy of Ecuador.

I'd like to live in an embassy too - but without WikiLeaks to pick up the tab...

I'm considering a gofundme campaign.

1. hititzombisi

Re: Is there money involved, and where does it come from/go to?

Middle of the London - rent ££££ would have bankrupted many.

2. Cardinal

Re: Is there money involved, and where does it come from/go to?

@Bruce Ordway

"I'd like to live in an embassy too"

I believe the Saudi embassy is very nice at this time of the year?

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. FlamingDeath Bronze badge
    1. Alister Silver badge

@FlamingDeath

It's really sad that you are so deluded that you think that all the many posts on here deriding Assange are just astroturfing.

You only need to look at the posting histories to see that this is not the case, unless you are so paranoid that you think the posting histories are a carefully maintained fiction as well?

We get it, you think the sun shines out of St Julian's arse.

Some of us, however, have a more balanced view.

1. Cardinal

@Alister

"Some of us, however, have a more balanced view."

About Assange? - On these pages?

You forgot the 'Joke' icon.

12. Lost it

I believe the US has fancied itself as the "World Police" for a while now.

They even seem to think they can tell the 'Revenue who they can tax.

13. DrXym Silver badge

Ecuador should show him the extension they built for him

"Go on Julian, it's right through that door over there..."

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry I'm late to this argument

I was cueing in a long cue for a pool queue in Kew.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mandatory fire drill

Whoop whoop!

Please assemble on the footpath.

1. Velv Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Mandatory fire drill

There is no requirement to leave any building when any alarm sounds, although it would normally be argued it is in your safety interests. If the Embassy were to force everyone on to the streets then they are simply disguising kicking him out, so why not just kick him out.

Many buildings have "places of comparative safety", places people of limited mobility can assemble to be rescued by those with the right equipment - ever noticed the extra space on staircase landings that appears to be wasted space. The stair well is usually better protected against fire and smoke than other areas, allowing a longer escape time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Mandatory fire drill

@ Velv

Ummm, it was a joke....

16. Big Al 23

The clock is running out

Assange is going to get the boot so he had better take the best deal he can get.

17. Fullbeem

Inside for 6 and a half years?

Considering he has been inside the building for 6 and a half years, he is still maintaining a good amount of vitamin D from natural sunlight it seems. Im sure he has been sneaky in and around Harrods next door for dinner. Doesnt seem the type to live on pot noodle, but i could be wrong.

1. AIBailey

Re: Inside for 6 and a half years?

Of course not he's not eating Pot Noodles, he's to busy munching on the excessive pyramids of Ferrero Rocher.

1. Aladdin Sane Silver badge

The Ambassador's Balls are known for their exquisite taste.

1. graeme leggett

Some balls are held for charity

And some for fancy dress

But when they're held for....

[sorry, couldn't resist]

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019