back to article Great Scott! Is nothing sacred? US movie-goers vote Back To The Future as most-wanted reboot

It's been clear for decades that Hollywood is almost completely out of ideas and nothing is sacred when mining the past for inspiration. Disney, not content with flogging Marvel's back catalogue until everyone's sick to death of it, has set about rebooting its animated classics in live-action (read: CGI) remakes (I mean, you …

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: Why not go the whole hog....

> There is NO WAY to make The Princess Bride any better than it is.

Really, where is the theme park ride and video game plug ?

Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Why not go the whole hog....

As long as they don't do "Dr Strangelove 2: The Rematch" with Bruce Willis saving the day

I think I need more dried frog pills, actually

SVV
Silver badge

How unimaginative

Trust the Americans to take this seriously and make a dull choice. Someone should have got an internet campaign going to make sure something massively inappropriate won the poll, such as the Russ Meyer classic Beneath the Valley of the Ultravixens.

Silver badge

Re: How unimaginative

Or any of the Troma films!

Or Ishtar - at least the remake couldn't be a bigger waste of celluloid.

I have a suspicion that "Brewster's Millions" will be the next one up for a remake - after all, it's only been made about a dozen times since the 1920s.

Silver badge

Re: How unimaginative

No, we need a remake of "Plan 9 From Outer Space", or "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" or "They Saved Hitler's Brain".

Anonymous Coward

Letting people vote...

...on things they clearly have no clue about:

A slippery slope that could end in utter madness.

DJV
Silver badge

Re: Letting people vote...

Ah, I see what you did there and fully commend you.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Letting people vote...

Marty McMarty-face?

Silver badge
Meh

Done right

This reboot, rewrite, regurgitation might be OK?

Post-America Hollywood

The reason Hollywood can't produce good films anymore is because they've been completely overwhelmed with politically correct post-American values. Today's films are made to be "woke" instead of actually *good*. Hollywood is done. It should be leveled and turned back into orange groves.

Downvote me all you want; it'll only make the truth truthier.

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: 'Today's films are made to be "woke"'

I take it you haven't seen Adam Sandler's 'Pixels'. That wasn't particularly PC or "woke". neither was Ready Player One.

C.

Silver badge
Meh

Re: 'Today's films are made to be "woke"'

not all films, obviously. just too many of them, In My Bombastic Opinion.

When I see a movie I want to be entertained, *NOT* guilted, manipulated, nor nauseated [unless it's really good 'bloody guts' special effects or something like it in a horror genre].

This is the first time I've heard the term 'woke'. 'Woke' from WHAT exactly? [no don't answer, it's rhetorical]

Silver badge

Re: Post-America Hollywood

Today's films are made for the same reason as films have always been made: to obtain money from audiences. There's really no ulterior motive.

Nowadays that means: a lot of action, because it's language agnostic, and a fairly simple plot, because that's closer to being language agnostic. And if you're doing action then you're in a CGI horse race, so expect an entirely desensitised audience.

The reason they didn't make anything like Citizen Kane last year is not that they're worried about offending sledge owners. The reason that they didn't make The Godfather is not that they're worried about a Twitter shame campaign by horses. It's that neither film would be likely to turn a profit.

The idea that political correctness motivates anything doesn't really have any evidence behind it; films are less likely to be e.g. racist now, but they're also more likely to include mobile phones. Are you worried about Hollywood's mobile phone agenda?

Silver badge

"Today's films are made to be "woke" instead of actually *good*"

No, today's films are made to generate the maximum possible revenue in worldwide sales instead of actually good. Big difference.

Silver badge

Today's films rely on foreign sales to fund the production (rather than DVD/TV sales)

That means a subtle exploration of the artist's soul that will appeal to 100Million teenage boys in Asia + S. America.

Or something that will ensure attendance at your theme park for the next 10 years

Holmes

How about?

Thinking about reboots seriously, unlike HooHahWood and the boobocracy, one comes to mind - Be Bill - Kill Bill from the perspective of Bill rather than the Bride.

The problem with most reboots is that they are structured around cool scenes with a 'plot' whose sole function is to link the scenes and a 'script' whose function is to set up the scenes before and admire them afterwards.

Silver badge

Bah!

Given that I was forced to attend a screening of Fantastic Cheek: The Crimes of JK Rowling* at the weekend I'd say that all people wanting to complain about Hollywood also include the crap ideas being fed to it by their own countrymen.

* - A movie with no story and characters recycled from the never-ending HP saga.

Fact is that Hollywood will only make what they think will make money. Come up with a non-comic book, non-remake idea that people will actually go and watch for cashmoney, then you can take the high road and be king of the hill.

Eye-Witness Evidence is that new ideas on worthwhile subjects (eg First Man) are playing to almost empty theaters.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: Bah!

"new ideas on worthwhile subjects (eg First Man) are playing to almost empty theaters."

Apparently, they forgot the 'magic stuff' that was in 'The Right Stuff' and 'Apollo 13'. And 'The Martian'. Yeah, that too!

I suspect I know what it is, though I haven't actually SEEN that movie to confirm it. Maybe I'll get the DVD later, when it comes out. I usually like space movies. Hopefully I'll like 'First Man' too.

(pssst - it's RUGGED INDIVIDUALISM and/or PATRIOTISM - the controversy over saluting the flag and then removing that scene from the theatrical version - this may be driving the low turnout. As observed by someone who was *ALIVE* *IN* *1969* and watched EVERY launch and landing that was televised)

Silver badge

Re: Bah! @bombastic bob

The flag is in the film. The sequence is shown in first-person and Armstrong is shown to plant the flag. There's no long shot or big slow-motion dramatic planting, just as there isn't a long shot or slow-motion lift-off or landing, or anything else.

There's no cutting-room floor footage featuring more of the flag; it's a standard-issue culture war manipulation storm in a teacup.

Per a joint statement from Armstrong's family and the biographer (emphasis added):

Although Neil didn’t see himself that way, he was an American hero. He was also an engineer and a pilot, a father and a friend, a man who suffered privately through great tragedies with incredible grace. This is why, though there are numerous shots of the American flag on the moon, the filmmakers chose to focus on Neil looking back at the earth, his walk to Little West Crater, his unique, personal experience of completing this journey, a journey that has seen so many incredible highs and devastating lows.

... and as if it weren't clear enough to you yet what the real motivation for the chicken-in-a-basket controversy were, they add:

In short, we do not feel this movie is anti-American in the slightest. Quite the opposite. But don’t take our word for it. We’d encourage everyone to go see this remarkable film and see for themselves.

Which I might paraphase as "they're not the real Americans, we're the real Americans, you should give us some of your money to prove it".

Silver badge

Re: Bah!

" haven't actually SEEN that movie to confirm it. Maybe I'll get the DVD later, when it comes out"

And here we see why Hollywood won't make the sorts of film you want to watch, Bob.

Comic book movies and nostalgia-riddled remakes are almost always heavy CGI exravagonzos which work better on a big screen and even better on an IMAX in three D than they do on your flatscreen at home.

Change your own viewing habits, fund the movies you want to see made.

And take your meds.

The lack of willingness to try out new material does my nut in. There are thousands upon thousands of novels worthy of a big screen makeover, but no, let's rehash something we know yet again. Harry Turtledoves world war series,for example, I have said since it began that it was practically a screenplay already, one ripe for a blockbuster

The lack of willingness to try out new material does my nut in.

There's one coming out that looks interesting - Welcome to Marwen. Would this tick that box?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Marwen

Silver badge
Trollface

Top Gun in 2020...

Featuring product placement by Lockheed Martin, in the guise of the F-35B?

Silver badge
Go

Re: Top Gun in 2020...

Maybe the flight combat instructors will get a chance to say "The F-35 is an unflyable PoS, but fortunately we have brought these F-14s out of mothballs."

Anonymous Coward

This has potential, especially if the Top Gun is a drone flown by a Raspberry Pi...

TRT
Silver badge

Stealth (2005)

Pi way to the danger zone?

TRT
Silver badge

Pi in the Sky? Pi Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Silver badge

Nobody knows anything...

“Nobody knows anything.... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one.”

William Goldman

Silver badge

Re: Nobody knows anything...

But sequels normally make >65% of the original, cost next to nothing to market and you already have the theme park ride built.

Silver badge
Joke

Make Hollywood Great Again!

icon --->

Anonymous Coward

I hate reboots..

In the non-SF category they didn't do "The girl with the Dragon tattoo" any favours either.

There is IMHO nobody capable of improving on the fantastic performance of Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander. I have the Stieg Larsson books ("original" as far as they're direct English translations) and I have the movies stored somewhere electronically because some things are simply worth preserving.

The remake, nah. It's probably not fair to pre-judge the "next episode", based on the new book written by David Lagercrantz, but let's just say that I have no reason to expect something quite as visceral as the originals with Noomi Rapace. It's just so good that it's hard to improve upon.

Re: I hate reboots..

Wasn't The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo not so much a reboot, but an English language version?

Silver badge

Re: I hate reboots..

Wasn't The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo not so much a reboot, but an English language version?

Only due to the fact that English speaking audiences have (in the the majority) no appreciation for foreign language films.

Although I'm not sure if it's the language and merely dislike dubbed and baulk at being expected to read subtitles or it's the sometimes slight cultural differences that make them uncomfortable.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: no appreciation for foreign language films

Not always true. I mean, yes, they did feel it necessary to make an English language version of Les Visiteurs, which was utter crap. But thank God no-one decided to do the same with Betty Blue.

Silver badge

A Matrix sequel?

Why would you make a sequel to The Matrix which was perfect. Surely any kind of sequel would be full of crap clichés and waffle to the point of not being watchable, or at the least instantly forgettable.

Silver badge

Re: A Matrix sequel?

<Alec Guiness hand wave> there were no sequels to The Matrix </Alec Guiness hand wave>

Alert

Not going to happen

Zemeckis and Gale have been quite clear that there isn't going to be any BTTF reboot while they're alive and they own the rights.

This is really well known so any story about a possible reboot or remake is just empty noise.

Silver badge
Pint
Silver badge
WTF?

Just clean up the old one and rerlease it to the cinema.

Cheaper for the studio and I might actually pay to see it.

If you must you can do a He-Man reboot, the film was crap so you've got a good base to work from

Silver badge

If you must you can do a He-Man reboot, the film was crap so you've got a good base to work from

Funnily, I grew up contemporaneous with He-Man, and didn't think the toys up to much and the cartoon lacking.

Silver badge

It's the Age of Stupid, stupid

It's just more evidence that air pollution or radiation or social media or {enter your favourite hypothesised cause here} is causing a steady diminution of IQ worldwide.

BttF is one of the few 80s film productions that my kids (born around the millennium) really enjoyed, and watched more than once. (Along with The Princess Bride, oddly enough.) It stands as the ideal film-school example of perfect casting, pacing and script: not a single wasted word, every line has a purpose, and even in BttF2 it pulls off the phenomenal trick of keeping you abreast of what is, when you think about, a dizzyingly complicated plot and timeline. That anyone would consider a remake is proof, should you need it, that Joe Public is as dumb as a stump.

Considering Brexit and Trump and the general state of the world, from the citizens in the street to the rantings of a man-child in the White House, British ministers demonstrating towering ignorance on a daily basis, or the adolescent, ill-considered bletherings of Musk ... I dunno, maybe it's due to alien rays broadcast from orbit to stupefy the entire planet's population in preparation for a bloodless invasion.

But yeah: we are now deeply, darkly into the Age of Stupid.

Silver badge
Trollface

No, no, no, folks!

How could they not make a reboot of "Where Eagles Dare" yet?!? Or maybe "The Guns of Navarone"...? Come on, I have a whole list - and when we're done with it, we can just move on to John Wayne...!

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: No, no, no, folks!

How could they not make a reboot of "Where Eagles Dare" yet?!? Or maybe "The Guns of Navarone"...?

"Where Vultures Dare"

"More Guns of Navarone"

MJI
Silver badge

BTTF is just right

No remakes allowed

Great series

The reboot I want ...

... is Star Wars episodes 1-3, and 7-8. And I want a clean slate. Take the original scripts and ideas of all 5 and throw them in a box and then burn the box and just for good measure hurl the ashes into the sun. However, if this is not feasible, at least nuke and burn episodes 1 and 8. Episode 8 was so bad that I decided to never see Solo nor episode 9.

Silver badge

Re: The reboot I want ...

... is Star Wars episodes 1-3, and 7-8.

Careful, Disney own it now. You might get what you wish for and it'll be filled with talking inanimate objects

- do you really want to see Luke Skywalker bantering with his lightsabre???

- Or hear Princess Leia singing a lonely duet with a piece of furniture while incarcerated in a cell on the Death Star?

Silver badge

I do not. IMHO, star Wars finished with Rogue 1.

I am aware that this does not chime with Joe Average Star Wars fan. I do not care as it was much more of a proper movie than any other Star Wars episode. Only Empire Strikes Back in places comes close.

I am not going to even consider buying Solo, Episode 8 and whatever follows. No point now. Everything which had to be said was said: "Hope, rebellions are built on hope".

Silver badge
Joke

- Or hear Princess Leia singing a lonely duet with a piece of furniture while incarcerated in a cell on the Death Star?

That would be... "When You Wish Upon a Death Star"

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018