back to article Talk in Trump's tweets tells whether tale is true: Code can mostly spot Prez lies from wording

Boffins from the Netherlands and France claim that the word choices and sentence construction in President Donald Trump's tweets can be used more often than not for lie detection. In a paper distributed through ArXiv earlier this month, researchers Sophie van der Zee, Ronald Poppe, Alice Havrileck, and Aurelien Baillon – from …

Page:

1. 45RPM Silver badge

Hey ShortStuff. Did you hear that “It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.”

It’s worth bearing in mind before regurgitating nonsense from Fox / Trump / other unpleasant sources from beneath other slimy rocks.

And can I recommend that you consider taking a course in critical thinking?

2. RobertLongshaft

Shortstuff - you're absolutely right.

Can you imagine Trump negotiating Brexit? We'd have the best of both worlds. Instead we have Cruella DeVill who bent over and asked Juncker to lube the dildo before he had his way.

Lefties hate Trump because he doesn't bow down to their ultra politically correct line, he gets the job done and he doesn't care who he upsets to do it. This helped him to become a self made billionaire and his now helping him to become the greatest President in living memory.

1. jake Silver badge

Bad troll.

No cookie.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"This helped him to become a self made billionaire"

Daddy made him the self-made millionaire.

"helping him to become the greatest President in living memory""

Many people would tend to replace the word 'president' with something more earthy... but he's certainly going to be remembered

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Too much LOVE can kill you, they say. Who knows?

Are his lies others' tales he doesn't believe possible/doable?

Does every President have many voices bending their ear to Attend to the InSanities of Life with Wondrous Thought Tales Seeding and Feeding Future Featuring Programming with Advanced IntelAIgent Virtual Machines, Fully Loded and Ready for AIdDistribution of Improved Reconditioned Assets with Universally Vital Forces into and onto Practical Future Fields in Real Time Play Operations?

Anyone deeply captured and championing Starships?

And Who/What Programs the MayBot? What Magic Elixir of Source Ore Provides Indecisive Direction Absenting Decisions Requiring Secret Ancient Accommodation be made there in Nos 10/11?

It's badly tainted and sorely paints everything and anything other than AIMaster Pieces to Follow. Such is Remiss and Only Excused with a Full and Frank Confession Detailing Ignorance. Anything else just Compounds All and Leaves Raging and Rabid Incompetence looking into New Virgin Pastures for Accommodative Play in Real Time Play Operations. That's a Trip both into and out of Asylums best booked Return/Open Ticket ..... for Insatiable Delights are Virtually Impossible to Leave without Practical Consideration of Providing the Same Super Service Back Home, .... wherever that may be in your head.

1. TomG

Re: Too much LOVE can kill you, they say. Who knows?

Downvoted You because You Made Too Much/Not Enough Sense. BTW, I Hope You Didn't Wear Out Your Caps Lock Key!

2. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

"anyone could use this approach to construct a lie detector for a specific person"

I'm not worried, all my public statements are lies anyway.

3. gal5

..And yet, he keeps making tood trade deals with the rest of the world, progressing with N. Korea..

When did it become a demand, that your country's leader is not allowed to use tricks and deceptions to get its goals? would YOU ever agree to negotiate a deal by telling, in advance, all the facts and truths? Is so, I'd really like to buy your used car... I'd simply ask you what is your 'red line' price, you you would, of courses, tell me the truth, because that is what you demand from political enemies?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Which good trade deals? Quit believing his BS.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

Trump lies, knows he lies and doesn't give a fuck about it. He knows that the people who believe him already live in an alternate reality. If he claimed there's an ongoing attack from Moon inhabitants, the Trumpists would unload their AR-15 shooting at the Moon.

What matters to him is being acclaimed by some, even if it means being considered idiotic and unreliable by most. That guy is like a 5-year old in need of constant attention, he will do anything to get the spotlight.

If newspapers were stopping talking about him for a week, he would declare war to China just to be in the headlines again.

5. TheMole

Poacher turned Gamekeeper ?

"the researchers used a set of tweets from President Trump that had been fact checked by the Washington Post and could be characterized either as accurate or not. "

The Washington Post regularly prints misleading, slanted or even innacurate articles itself. So using them as the arbiter is kinda dumb.

6. RobertLongshaft

Yet more anti Trump drivel masquerading as journalism.

Have a day off, seriously.

1. Tomato42

1940's want their devotion to the Füher back

7. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Unhappy

"free democratic society"?

<dream>

Is it really too much to expect a political system where if any politician is found to have lied, they are automatically sacked, and if the lie has caused financial losses, sued for them?

You'll laugh, because it sounds like cloud-cuckoo land, but that's because we are so used to the status quo.

If I lied to my bosses in work, I'd be sacked. If I was willfully neglegent, I could be sued.

Clearly the "leave it to the ballot box" philosophy doesn't work - people have short memories, and are easily "spun", and easily attracted to the shiny-shiny... Heck, if someone is sacked from their job, they could still try again in the next 4 year election cycle.. Let's see the populace short memory work against them..

Whether its americas trumpites, or our own brexiters, some people need help understanding the truth.

We deserve better than being governed by the best liars.

</dream>

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correlation

It's easy.

If he is told what to write, probably more truthful. Language set 1.

If he writes it himself, probably "economical with the truth". Language set 2.

Duh!

9. EnviableOne
    Boffin

Lies Damn Lies and Statistics

Ben franklin had it right

this model is based of incomplete evidence and assumed facts.

There is no measure of how many tweets WaPo were not able to verify, no mention of how many were factually correct, and it only used 150 sets of max 280 chars, hardly enough to eet any criteria for a robust test, and the training sample bias needs to be scrutanised, and probably needs to include a much larger sample too.

10. AvangionQ
    Boffin

Refinement requested ...

When they get up over 90%, it'll be something worthwhile ... `The accuracy of their model was about 73 percent, making it better than a coin-toss, but far from foolproof in its evaluation.`

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two Tweeters

It was shown during the 2016 campaign that there were two phones tweeting as @realdonaldtrump, an iPhone and an android. The iPhone ones were rational, thoughtful and well written. The Android ones were trash, lies and fractured English. Hair furor himself carries an Android phone so it was posited that the reasonable tweets were done by staff. I'd like to see an overlay of this linguistic work on that tidbit; I bet we they could do better than 73%

12. RobertLongshaft

Lefties are hilarious!

They accuse any none NPC of being brainwashed by Fox News but they are literally regurgitating what they hear or read on the BBC/CNN/NYT or the Guardian.

"Orange man bad, Orange man bad, Orange man bad"

Regardless of what you think or say the stats show he's a million miles better as a President than Barack "no change at all is coming" Obama.

Let's just take a second to remind you all of Obama's legacy......

Record numbers on food stamps, record low GDP growth, record number of drone assassinations, destablisation of the middle east and creation of the European migrant crisis, record number of privacy reducing bills passed, the CIA and MI5 using each other to bypass the constitution and British law recording and logging everything every man woman and child does in the UK and US do and on and on and on and on............

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like