back to article UK.gov to roll out voter ID trials in 2019 local elections

The government is to expand its controversial voter ID trials in next year’s local elections. sledgehammer reduces cement block to powder 'A sledgehammer to crack a nut': Charities slam UK voter ID trials READ MORE The trials require people to bring personal identification before they are allowed to vote, and were rolled out …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome...

...disenfranchisement by stealth.

Like many things in election theory, it sounds great.

But when it comes to practice, never underestimate the ability of those with a sinister motive to use things like this to their advantage!

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Awesome...

Whereas using electoral fraud as a means to get your candidate elected (Tower Hamlets), is more acceptable?

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge

I wonder if you read the story.... especially the 44 counts of voter fraud bit

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

44 accusations. 1 conviction.

2. easytoby

Postal option?

I thought the biggest risk was associated with postal votes. But I cannot see anything on the release about that?

So my assumption is that this is a drive towards universal ID cards again, not securing voting.

I am a big fan of the convenience of postal voting, as I am often working away from home.

3. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Devil

Has anyone done a survey of how many Tory voters have photo ID compared to Labour ones?

Just asking...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I doubt there's much in it for passports. Driving licenses might favour the wealthier, who you could assume to be Tory, but bus passes would go the other way. Does the proof requested for voting differ much from that required for, say welfare or unemployment benefits?

Overall I'd be surprised if there's much difference.

4. Thesheep

Numbers

The amount of effort spent on this is astounding. There was 1 (one) conviction following the general election in 2017. Of the eight cautions given out, 2 were about postal voting, four were about registration, and the other two were about candidates. So twice as many candidates as actual cases of voting fraud at the polling station.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/239973/Fraud-allegations-data-report-2017.pdf

Frankly if they put as much effort into things where a real number of people were involved (for example Universal Payments) or if they REALLY need to focus on democracy then there is a whole question about how referenda are conducted...

5. onemark03

The UK is clearly being softened up (like the proverbial frog in the proverbial pot of warm water) for the introduction of national ID cards at some stage in the future.

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Yeah, I wonder if any proposed new system will tell me the same as the last attempt - that I need 2 IDs.

6. John Robson Silver badge

What a ridiculous concept...

"Voters in Mid Sussex, Watford and North West Leicestershire are testing pre-issued poll cards, which are seen as a less restrictive solution. If someone turns up without the card on polling day, they must present another form of ID."

Hey - at least the above is vaguely reasonable.

I suspect that the 44 counts are those where the 'right' person has turned up later in the day. How would impersonations of people who just didn't bother to go themselves be detected? Do we count it when people say 'Oh yes, silly me, I've had a busy afternoon' and leave?

I happen to know many of the people who man the local polling booth - so I'm pretty confident that I could only vote once, and no-one else could vote as me - but having to bring the card they posted me isn't a huge problem.

Having to bring photoID is a much bigger ask - even non photo ID is tougher now. I happen to have had a lot of dealings with various government departments recently, but I but those letters are "not a utility bill"..

7. VicMortimer Silver badge
    Big Brother

Bad idea

This is obviously modeled after some American states, where voter suppression is in full swing this election season.

Voter ID schemes are not about fraud. They're about keeping "those people" from voting. You can sometimes even catch our Republicans being candid about what they're doing.

Don't fall for it. And note that these schemes are always pushed by the "conservative" party, because disenfranchisement works in their favor.

8. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    FAIL

I am well and truly fucked if they want ID

I am registered under a legal alias as is entirely my right under current English Law.

An alias for which there is no supporting documentation other than the fact that I use it for electoral registration. The only documentation I could produce is a sworn affidavit saying 'this is me'.

I guess I should be preparing myself for a visit to the Supreme Court.

1. Paul Martin

Re: I am well and truly fucked if they want ID

It's also possible for someone (eg. under police protection) to be an anonymous voter, listed only as a number on the electoral roll. No name, no address: just a number.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

about time

About time this was done, should also put a stop to postal voting except for the old and infirm. Clear to see the lefties not keen on it as their fake votes will no longer be counted

1. Tempest 3K

Re: about time

Aah, so you are one of the people who'd like to stop me voting because I'm frequently in a different part of the country for work (often on short notice). Postal voting means I don't have to worry about what may happen work wise on polling day.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. but what do I know?
    Big Brother

Barcodes

- the most expensive option - and totally unnecessary as the human holding the scanner can read the voter card (unless this is a precursor to a fully automated voting/citizen management system?)

13. Alan Brown Silver badge

Social clensing

Technological "solutions" bundled up for non-"problems" whose primary effect is to dissuade younger and poorer people from voting (because they frequently don't have photo ID such as a driving license, or utility bills in their names, etc)

I wonder which political parties this might tilt the playing fields in favour of?

14. 3man

Actually, this isn't a solution looking for a problem. The problem the government has is that some kinds of people are less likely to vote for them. The solution is that producing the kind of ID required by these measures is more difficult for these kinds of people and so it will lead to a suppression in their turnout.

If you want to know where this idea came from, look across the Atlantic at the Republican Party who regularly use these tactics to target minority groups, mostly in Southern states.

15. clyde666

Sledgehammer for the wrong nut

As others have pointed out, the only problem is with postal voting.

There are many checks around the system, and the parties are generally very relaxed about it the way it is.

BUT - postal voting is entirely different. There is really no scrutiny from the political party system around postal votes. There are so many loopholes.

Apocryphal stories abound about nursing homes etc, where bundles of postal votes are filled out wholesale by the manager with no oversight.

There are recorded examples of areas with large military bases where the voting register swelled by thousands in the runup to an election or referendum.

One serious problem from my POV concerns the counting of postal votes. In polling booth scenario, there is a register of voters which gives numbers of actual voters at any station, which is compared to the numbers of ballot papers in the box. This count is overseen by reps from all the parties. Pretty transparent and a lot of work for anyone to corrupt.

However the postal votes are dealt with by council workers away from the count. With the percentage of postal votes now being very high, that is a huge problem area for satisfying democratic concerns.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Sledgehammer for the wrong nut

"BUT - postal voting is entirely different."

Why would that be, I go to a post office, and I identify my self, vote, pen and paper, and the rest is the same.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Sledgehammer for the wrong nut

"Why would that be, I go to a post office, and I identify my self, vote, pen and paper, and the rest is the same."

What country are you in? In the UK, you apply for a postal vote, the postal ballot form is posted to your home address, you (or someone, that's the point!) fills it in and posts it back. At no time do you visit a Post Office or are verified in any way.

<EDIT> Ah, oh bollocks. I just noticed your icon. You got me, you git!

16. Geekpride
    Thumb Down

Deja vu

This is trying to strip me of my right to vote. I do not have a driving licence or a passport, and there is no legal requirement for me to do so. The version of this ID scheme that requires photo ID would mean I would have to pay for a provisional licence to be able to vote. Doesn't "paying to vote" sound an awful lot like a poll tax? Haven't we been here before?

Instead of capitulating and paying for ID, I'd rather run the risk of incurring much greater costs by bringing a legal challenge for removing one of my fundamental human rights.

1. onemark03

Re: Deja vu

It seems to me that your greater problem would be with an ID card.

If for the sake of argument we were all required to have national ID cards, the issue of no passport or driving licence would not arise and you would still be eligible to vote.

Or have I misunderstood you? I hope not.

1. Geekpride

Re: Deja vu

I'm generally opposed to mandatory ID cards, but that's a whole separate issue. Suggesting mandatory ID cards to solve the practically non-existent problem of personation a polling stations is just insane.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Postal votes is where the fraud happens

Massive fraud by canvassers and organisations especially at local authority elections.

Postal votes should be heavily restricted to disabled and government employees overseas.

Fraud is always more tempting when not in person.

18. John 62

Northern Ireland

You have needed photo id in NI for years. If you don't have a driving licence, passport or any other photo id, you can get one supplied by the Electoral Commission for Northern Ireland

19. DuncanLarge Silver badge

About bloody time!

Ever since I started voting when I came of age I have always wondered who would permit such an insecure system that is so open to abuse. I'm the guy who knows how computers work and will protest against electronic voting machines or counting machines but I simply could not believe that I wasnt even required to prove that I had possession of the vote card that came through my door!

Anyone who knows my name and address can feel free to use my vote. Jesus, why not leave our houses unlocked when we are out, blindly trusting that only persons who live there would dare to enter...

As long as they have no way to correlate myself with my vote and dont record/store/count it electronically I'm game.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: About bloody time!

" I simply could not believe that I wasn't even required to prove that I had possession of the vote card that came through my door! "

For the very simple reason that margins in virtually every seat are such that unless a lot of personation is happening then it won't make a blind bit of difference to the results - and if it _is_ happening at that level then it invariably manifests sooner or later in the audits as multiple votes.

It's hard enough to get people out to vote. Any form of discouragement is counterproductuve. I have long-serving regional returning officers in my family and they assure me that there are random audits of polling stations and the electoral commissions in virtually every country _do_ investigate rumours of such things - bearing in mind that the chances of any conspiracy remaining secret rapidly approach zero as the number of people exceeds one.

The actual number of such rumours which are found to have substance is very low, vs someone boasting about multiple votes (1-2 every year, they get caught and get slapped around in courts), or stealing postal votes (which is _vastly_ different to polling booth fraud and happens to leave an evidence trail as postal votes are _not_ secret and are kept for a long period after the poll - precisely because of their susceptability to manipulation)

Even with that, the incidence of postal vote fraud is so low that it statistically never affects results - in a marginal or close result those votes are going to be _very_ closely scrutinised and any which seem to have the same handwriting are likely to come in for extra special attention (would-be fraudsters are never particularly smart about what they do - if you really want to game an election you do it by gerrymandering, voter bribes and flat out manipulation of the scrutineers or the counting mechanisms)

20. Alan Brown Silver badge

The actual driving reason behind this

It's an extension of the voter ID push in the USA, which is directly descended from the events of 1920 in Ocoee, Florida

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9agk73/that-time-white-people-burned-and-pillaged-a-black-community-on-election-day

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon