back to article Android Phones are 10: For once, Google won fair and square

Google has received massive fines for its recent stewardship of Android, but there was no conspiracy or underhand tactics about how it got there: Google won this monopoly on merit. Shutterstock molten chocolate Google-free Android kit tipped to sell buckets READ MORE Today, 10 years after the first Android phones launched*, …

Page:

1. ScissorHands

Re: Other OS are available

Still needs GApps and GMS. Which then makes no difference to OEM Android, apart from not having proper binary-blob drivers for the bespoke hardware of your phone and living with crappy camera quality.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It doesn't need GApps, though frankly you have to be a geek to be able to work out how to substitute for all the Google products.

2. Wade Burchette

Um ... Lineage OS is based on Android.

3. defiler

Take back control people!

Disappointed at the lack of "sheeple" and extra exclamation marks. It's Friday and I could use some good tin-foil-hattery. Might skulk off to ATS...

1. FuzzyWuzzys

Old adage

"It's not what you've got, it's how and where you stick it."

It's like VHS, sure the IOS interface and structure is gorgeous compared to Android but then BetaMax was a slightly better format than VHS but what matters most is not how good something is technically but how easy it is to get hold of and use. VHS was a bit naff but it was good enough and suited what people wanted despite it's failings. Android is good enough, it might not be the best and far from perfect but it's good enough to do the job for now, especialy when you consider that with one click I can get the entire O/S downloaded and pull it apart to see how it works, within a day or two I can have it running on my hardware device. There's very few serious contenders that offer that right now. Sooner or later something better will come but it's good enough for now.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Old adage

The only contender on the horizon is from Google. Either Fuschia or Chrome OS.

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

I must admit that I'm a bit tired and jaded from too much Android, and would like to see something fresh and new.

Maybe a *BSD or Ubuntu version instead of Android...

One can only dream...

3. Mike 'H'

God I miss the G1

That phone design..

As horrible as people claim it was, it was a godsend for someone like me, who types into SSH from his phone on a regular basis. Seeing all the actual keyboarded phones die up and now all we have is a very derpy attempt at a Blackberry revival, saddened me.

I do admit, the _very first_ release was crap: 192MB of ram, 90 megs of which was shared with the modem, leaving just about enough ram to run 2 apps concurrently without one making the JVM kill the other for resources... 480x320 screen..

That trackball though? So helpful! Single handed operation of a lot of features because of that, and then I could move my other hand to the phone to type. I kept it open, widescreen mode, all the time - simply because it was easy to grab onto, and not drop, in that position.

If some opensource hardware group in the near future comes up with a PCB and new screen that would fit the old shell for a G1, I know it would find buyers. Guy can wish eh?

4. goldcd

Android never assumed they'd got it right

When IOS and Android were young, there were all manner of glaring omissions from each platform.

Pinch to zoom, copy & paste, ability to choose your own default apps, choice of screen size, OTA updates etc.

You could bicker in a fan-boy fashion over it, but the gaps are mainly gone - but how they were filled varies massively.

Apple with each successive piece of hardware/OS told their users what they were getting new in a lovely polished silo. Apple knew best and made sure the damn thing did what it said it would.

Android just let people fiddle, alternate apps, rooting, intercept frameworks, custom OS etc. My Android (my side) would always be able to do the latest and greatest things - and quite frequently would be out of action for a day as I tried to work out how to recover the latest bricking my fiddling had caused.

Today - I see less of a difference. I own a Pixel and have never even felt the urge to root it. Conversely though, I can't really think of anything that would prevent me switching to IOS (I seem to have conveniently forgotten my arguments over fixed batteries, removable storage, eye-watering prices).

5. Alperian

Isn't it a toolbox for slurping data? ...you are the product yada yada

6. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Big Brother

Instead of

concentrating on "Is the iphone better than google?" and "who had the better ui?"

Why not lead with the question I used when dumping my old S2 phone that had finally decided to roll over and die

"How much is the S7 per month and how much is the iPhone a month?"

And when the sales droid told me the S7 was 9 pounds a month cheaper (or whatever it was) that decided between the 2.

And for many many many consumers THAT is the deciding factor.

Unless you're a sad loser who likes spending too much money on stuff just to look 'hip' at a coffee bar

Icon.... because they all spy on you anyway

1. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Re: Instead of

"Unless you're a sad loser who likes spending too much money on stuff just to look 'hip' at a coffee bar"

That's a silly thing to say.

Besides with your story, we'd have to take your word for it. Then look at why it might be £9 difference. Maybe they are selling cheaper because they are getting a kick back.

Yes, that happens in this craze world where companies are making you buy cheap junk.

7. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Google won fair and square?

How?

Buy in an OS, tweak it. Distribute free.

Give away loads of services. (Search is tip of Iceberg, Google groups and mining of scanned books, newsgroups, YouTube. Google Art, Google Docs etc).

Finance all with adverts. Claim that these are better to advertisers due to the targeting using "magic sauce" of personal info. Use Analytics, Street View, WiFi Slurp, location tracking, cookies, log ins, scan gmail and other Google services.

Not an exhaustive list.

Not only not fair but illegal in many countries even before GDPR.

8. andy 103
    Go

Google is a primarily software company

Google is a primarily software company. Apple is primarily a hardware company.

Android is software.

I don't think much further explanation is needed.

See also: popularity of Apple laptops vs Chromebooks

1. elaar

Re: Google is a primarily software company

Google is primarily a data mining company, that produced certain bits of software/web apps to further this.

Now that all flagship phones are pretty much the same, Apple has to rely more on the software now.

Besides, in the early smartphone days, Apple was more of a hardware "packaging" company, than a hardware company. How many of the individual hardware components did Apple actually make in the early iphone releases?

9. Matt 18
    Thumb Up

"Apple AirPower..."

I was in stitches :D

10. dave 93

What phone do you use Mr Orlovski?

Methinks Andrew doth protest too much.

Android phones of all calibre are obsoleted through lack of support after a year or two.

Great for selling new phones, but unnecessary and damaging for the ecosystems, real and commercial.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like