back to article Guess who just bought Maplin? Dragons' Den celebrity biz guy Peter Jones

Irascible Dragons’ Den celebrity tycoon Peter Jones has scooped up the Maplin Electronics trading name, The Reg can reveal. An auction of the fallen retailer's intellectual property took place in the summer with PWC asking Morvan Fraser, senior manager for IP sales at Metis Partners to preside over the sell-off. Peter Jones, …

Anonymous Coward

yaaay craplin

history.

I remember way back when maplins was a mail order business. you sent off for a catalogue and it was filled with all the delights that electronics had to offer. The only option at the time was RS who had a similar catalogue but ws more targeted towards the professional.

to buy electronics components on the high-street, you had Tandy or (radio shack in the usa), but the prices where extortionate compared to mail order. Tandy went to the wall. In Liverpool, we were fortunate to have a shop called Radio Spares (on Dale Street). You just wrote your list of stuff you wanted from the maplin/RS catalogue and popped in the shop. Prices were very competitive with the mail order shops. As fa as I know, they were still open when I left Liverpool in the late 90's.

It looks like history repeated itself the way Maplins ended up the same as Tandy. will they ever learn

Silver badge

Re: history.

I liked ordering from Maplin and waiting for my parcel, but if I needed stuff in a hurry then the TV repair places would often have stuff in. Any town had TV rental and repair shops, and if you could get the components for reasonable prices in them if you got to know the people.

Silver badge

On consideration I think there's a real opportunity here if he does things right. The big problem with mail order which online ordering inherited was successful delivery. Amazon seemed to have put a lot of effort into getting that right. My experience is that they've now gone backwards in that respect. Today's fiasco is that a package ordered on Tuesday for delivery to a locker in Yorkshire yesterday has today shown up at a carrier facility in France. I can only conclude that having diversified into IT services, media, AI and goodness knows what they may do next that management talent is spread too thin and they can no longer meet previous standards. When they started out they were the disrupters, now they're ripe for being disrupted themselves.

N2

Bought for a tenner

Expect most of the stores to close.

Takeover buisness as usual.

Bronze badge

The..

... overpriced nature didn't help them. The comment they are no longer visible on the high street is not completely true. Our local store hasn't been rented yet so the sign is still up :)

Junior in the title for Jones means someone i can pay shitty wages to, to make the brand take off again. The prices are key. If all overpriced again then it will fail again.

Silver badge

Could someone PLEASE allow us the old interface as an option - as I said at the time it was announced in beta - it is CRAP.

SEO will be restored

The mention within the article of the domains having little to no value is a false statement. Backlinks are only ever removed from a site when those links are removed. Once the site is re-indexed the site will benefit from the links previously, apart from deep links on pages that no longer exists, however redirects to similar pages can also re-instate the juice. Google does not 'remove' authority from a domain as simply put.

Jessop's then Maplins

Now I know when he was born.

Actually GBP100,001 is definitely a good deal with all us baby boomers who remember it, I'm assuming "six figures" doesn't mean GBP1,000.01, but it might. Healthy?

John Bowler

Successful delivery!!??

My only hope is that PeterJones has the sense not to use “Parcel Force” as his preferred courier because if they can't find you don’t expect a phone call..!!! In fact it’s a wast of time giving them your number as their drivers DO NOT HAVE A COMPANY PHONE so unless they have a personal phone, most don’t, and are prepared to go the extra mile and use it to contact you for directions when needed, your package goes back to base. They will try again next day and this time as they can’t call you, see above, your package goes back to the supplier, even though you would of gladly given directions!!

How can a modern, large distribution company carry on business in this manner!!!

For fuck sake if any one at Parcel Force reads this please note:

PARCEL FORCE GIVE YOUR COURIERS THE TOOLS/PHONES TO EFFECTIVELY CARRY OUT THEIR/YOUR BUSINESS.!!!!!

Silver badge

Re: Successful delivery!!??

"My only hope is that PeterJones has the sense not to use “Parcel Force” as his preferred courier because if they can't find you don’t expect a phone call..!!!"

It depends on where you live. Out here in the country our local posties know to connect us with our daughter who lives a mile or so away. The other day one of them rang the bell with a parcel for her, she being on holiday. He'd left the card through the door but did we want to take it for her to save her the trip to collect it from the office*? Probably strictly against the rules but that's service.

*The delivery office is hugely inconvenient. It's beside the post office but its opening hours are what you'd expect from an office whose function is to send out the posties first thing in the morning. The post office itself is now, of course, a separate business so can't provide that service. Whoever was behind that particular split up can't lay much claim to intelligent thinking.

Silver badge

Re: Successful delivery!!??

I've never had a package go back to the supplier.

Their depot, maybe, which may be a drive away, but never to the supplier. They warn it's possible if you don't collect within <however many> days but I've never had one returned because of that.

If anything, I'm infinitely more annoyed that historically their depots only ever opened M-F 9-5, which is just ridiculous. Now, at least, they have a weekday that's open later and usually on a Saturday too. Or I can pay for redelivery at a specified time/date/location (I've never had to).

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Step 1...

Simply start selling overpriced coffees from the old stores and they'll be making money hand over fist.

I would definitely like them to go back to mail order. I need more reading material to go with the screwfix catalogue in the gentleman's room.

Extensive Customer Data......

pft - customer data.....

I got a filing cabinet full of staff paper records including bank details, next of kin, addresses and disciplinary records when the one near me decided to fire sale the entire shop.

No point reporting it. You can't have the ICO fine a company for negative value.

Thankfully I convinced the wife that it was a crap idea to just chuck it in the bin and instead did what I expect any decent human being to do and shredded the lot.

Bronze badge

The den?

When I first read that headline, I only saw "Guess who just bought Maplin? Dragons' Den"...

I wondered why a failed regional (NY State) chain of gaming and comic book stores was buying a failed UK store chain.

Anonymous Coward

"Our mission is to hire a new team of brilliant brains which can help us bring this beloved site back online"

Its the stores that I want brought back online. The Maplin stores were the last place I was able to walk to and buy electronic components and other bits and bobs. I hate being forced to shop for such things online, having to wait at home for deliveries to arrive, finding its not the right thing when it finally arrives, etc.

But Maplin, please, no more crap 'tp-link' kit please, huh? A better range of tools perhaps? And £30 for a basic video cable - seriously??

You died a death because you went down the route of selling more and more cheap and nasty consumer crap, something you can't compete with eBay and Amazon for that stuff.

Silver badge

First Tandy goes then eventually Maplins.

Where am I going to get my disco lights from now??

WTF?

Is it worth it?

To those familiar with Maplin Electronics, it's attractiveness and value began to dissipate back in 2005 with massive amounts of debt and banking covenants that demanded a sale price high enough to achieve 50%+ gross margins. At the point of failure in 2018, its online sales were less than 15%.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018