back to article Microsoft gives Windows 10 a name, throws folks a bone

An impending Windows 10 release, Azure playing nicely with Google, and a blast through BASIC in the browser. It's the Microsoft round-up. Windows 10 gets a new build and a new name As the next version of Windows 10 lumbered ever closer to the desktops of everyday users, Microsoft announced that it would be called (drum roll) “ …

Page:

1. K.o.R
          Unhappy

Re: What's this Silverlight thing?

On a related note, I've recently had to deal with people sending me proofs of payment... as XPS files. Which would be fine except none of the Windows 10 apps can read the damn things anymore.

Whoever decided that deprecated apps (Reader) are going to be unable to work at all ("Reader is no longer supported. Go screw yourself."), rather than just no longer updated needs shooting with something very pointy.

I have to send them to our one remaining W7 machine to convert them to PDF.

1. Norman Nescio Silver badge

On a related note, I've recently had to deal with people sending me proofs of payment... as XPS files. Which would be fine except none of the Windows 10 apps can read the damn things anymore.

Whoever decided that deprecated apps (Reader) are going to be unable to work at all ("Reader is no longer supported. Go screw yourself."), rather than just no longer updated needs shooting with something very pointy.

I have to send them to our one remaining W7 machine to convert them to PDF.

XPS files are a Microsoft equivalent of PDF files, and are not intended to be editable, so it's not in LibreOffice's primary mission to 'edit the uneditable' - however, all is not lost, there are several third party document viewer applications that will accept xps and oxps files. The Third Party Support section of the Wikipedia article gives a list. The ones for Linux platforms should be able to read the XPS and OXPS documents sent to you.

However, this guide: How to access XPS Viewer in the Windows 10 April 2018 Update might solve your problem without resorting to third party software if you are using Windows 10.

1. K.o.R

@Norman: Ah, yes I had seen that, but I ran into a different issue because WSUS doesn't seem to like letting me add features in that way (see also: JP IME dictionaries and such). I'll give it another go though, as I may have solved that but forgotten that it was applicable to this issue too.

(Unless they've updated it, I still need to go through a PDF printer to make XPS into PDF though. Oy.)

(My comment was referring to how Silverlight is to Flash as XPS is to PDF, not why LO can't open them; I hadn't even considered trying that)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Silverlight was like a better version of Flash

If you want to be a revisionist and still garner upvotes, probably best to try talking about Trump and the Republican Party instead.

1. JDX Gold badge

I'm talking as someone who was full-time developing for Flex at the time and did some work with SL.

SL was unpopular IIRC partly because it had strong DRM built in, and most El Reg users dislike anything that makes stealing other's work harder, citing "freedom".

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 Names

If you'd only asked, I could have provided a wide selection of potential Windows 10 names, many of which feature only 4 letters.

2. J J Carter Silver badge
    Windows

Obviously...

I making a point of immediately binning any CVs submitted as a .odt file, the last thing we need are hippy's and Linux fanbois!

1. Teiwaz Silver badge

Re: Obviously...

I making a point of immediately binning any CVs submitted as a .odt file, the last thing we need are hippy's and Linux fanbois!

Idiot. Everyone knows Linux Fanbois would be using LaTeX

1. doublelayer Silver badge

LibreOffice can save just fine as word or PDF, so it can be hard to determine if someone's using that. Of course, complex stuff that docx files support might not be perfect if LibreOffice saves them, but experience tells me that the same type of chaos can be created just by saving a file in one version of word and opening it in another. Simple things like CVs will be fine.

The major problem I've seen with getting some people to use LibreOffice is that people used to excel won't take to calc. A lot of excel stuff doesn't work at all. Normally, that's probably fine, but if the people you're trying to convince worked in finance of any type, they will be grumpy and unhelpful. If you try to convince them to leave excel behind, this gets worse.

1. Chronos Silver badge
          Devil

A lot of excel stuff doesn't work at all.

Indeed. It usually goes like this:

"This has a pivot table in it."

"Why did you need to use a pivot table? Was selecting a subset of cells for that line graph too difficult?"

"..."

Because they know "I wanted to be able to say 'pivot table' in meetings" isn't a good reason.

2. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Idiot. Everyone knows Linux Fanbois would be using LaTeX

The bearded sandal wearers from the old days of UNIX (I am one) would use troff.

It is not easy to find bearded sandals.

1. Waseem Alkurdi Silver badge
          Trollface

It is not easy to find bearded sandals.

Done:

http://fashionthirsty.com/amazon/SY819_FTB0.jpg

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

"I making a point of immediately binning any CVs submitted as a .odt file"

That's why smart people submit PDFs instead, to get past the H.R. weenies and middle managers who think 'that way'.

Besides, who'd *WANT* to work for a snooty anal-retentive person that throws out a resumé simply because it's in an open source format? Or, worse, a company that HIRES such people in the H.R. department? [H.R. is the worst part of working on-site for any medium to large company - it's like they live to justify their own existence or something, nearly as bad as OUTSOURCED H.R.]

Fortunately, at this time, it's a "seller's market" (edit, I'd said 'buyer' but it's really 'seller') for employment opportunities, at least in the USA. It's pretty 'great'. [yeah I _did_ mean that, actually] So go ahead and toss my resumé so I don't hear back from ya!

1. Loud Speaker

resumé simply because it's in an open source ISO standard format?

Or, why would you submit your resumé in a format that can be edited by someone at the recipient end?

3. Handel was a crank

That's ok, we don't want to work for someone that can't pluralise a simple word such as "hippy".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nor for someone who can't write any of the three forms of the present tense of the verb 'make'.

4. Jedipadawan

>"I making a point of immediately binning any CVs submitted as a .odt file, the last thing we need are hippy's and Linux fanbois!"

Dunno if that's a joke or not but shall we say that I'm now very glad to be running my own business my own way and it's all Linux and very nicely everything runs too.

5. Simon Harris Silver badge
      Headmaster

From the misplaced apostrophe I assume you are in charge of recruitment for a grocery store.

1. fraunthall

Re: Obviously...totally uncalled for

Try being a bit less arrogant. People will like you better.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

May I humbly suggest...

that we call Windows

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

or

"There be trouble ahead!"

Or words to that effect...

1. herman Silver badge

Re: May I humbly suggest...

Here, there be dragons.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

but I like dragons... I don't like Win-10-nic.

How about 'icebergs ahead' ?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"How about 'icebergs ahead' ?"

Is that the name of the version of Windows that runs on Itanic CPUs?

4. TRT Silver badge

Windows 10...

Novichok Release.

1. a_yank_lurker Silver badge

Re: Windows 10...

or Upchuck Release?

5. DJV Silver badge

"codebase will have enjoyed more focus on quality and polish"

Ha ha! Did you type that with a straight face?

1. ivan5

Re: "codebase will have enjoyed more focus on quality and polish"

Can't be true as you can't polish a turd, only roll it in sprinkles.

1. Richard Crossley
        Pint

Re: only roll it in sprinkles.

Icon, because you earned it with that comment.

Thanks for the laugh after a hard day.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: only roll it in sprinkles.

I see that 3 (so far) of Microsoft's shills are doing the downvote rounds!

6. Pen-y-gors Silver badge

Cheap Office

Neatly side-stepping the usual civil war, for those who really want/need Office or bits thereof, the best deal is the academic licence. It's under £100 for four years, and includes Access. Basically you just need to be a student (sign up for a cheap evening class?) - obviously you wouldn't dream of doing this for business use.

7. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Joke

Looking at el-regs

coding skills.

There are plenty of opportunities for you in coding the next craptia delivered government IT project...

Joke icon............... but I dont think its a joke....

8. Waseem Alkurdi Silver badge

Small Basic

The language, aimed at inflicting BASIC on students

No. Not even close.

I've used Small Basic back in school days. It's more like dumbed-down Visual Basic ... but certainly not even close to a BASIC dialect (compare it with Microsoft's own QBASIC).

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Small Basic

"I've used Small Basic back in school days. It's more like dumbed-down Visual Basic ... but certainly not even close to a BASIC dialect (compare it with Microsoft's own QBASIC)."

QBASIC was a massive extended and basterdised version of Dartmouth BASIC. ALmost every version of BASIC most people have seen was extended in some way to accommodate the new features found on the hardware, especially back in the days of 8-bit computing. There was a fairly generic MSBASIC + compiler on CP/M.

1. Simon Harris Silver badge

I used BASIC on a PDP8e back in my school days. That one was much closer to Dartmouth BASIC.

For a more traditional PC BASIC experience than QBASIC, there's GW-BASIC - extended to make use of PC hardware, but syntactically closer to the spirit of the original. You will, of course, need a DOS emulator to run it now.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Upvoted for the PDP-8 reference, and the fact that you apparently knew the difference between PDP-8 BASIC, and FOCAL.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New name !

Remember Gordon Ramsay's "Shit in a bag" rant ?

10. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Happy

Thanks for the nostalgia

I had that book, except it was written for (mostly British) 8-bit micros from the early 80s, while I had a 386. The programs never left the pages, sadly.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Small is still beautiful

It sure is.

The DISM command line can work wonders in achieving this.

They should'a named it Windows Telemetry Edition.

12. ecofeco Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"Higher and Deeper"

Now THAT would have been the more correct name.

13. Mark 85 Silver badge

So given all the uproar over Office (again), I guess I shouldn't upgrade from Office 2010? Not used much unless someone insists on getting a Word document.

Then again, I always preferred Word Perfect but that horse is pretty much dead and MS Works still handles a lot of my needs but not all. I'm sure that at some point, I'll get sucked into a massive upgrade to the latest and greatest (tongue in cheek) Office to be "compatible". The days of :buy it, own it, and it just works" are long over.

1. Solarflare

If you are willing to go on a very popular auction and general tat website with only 4 letters in its name, you can find an Office 2016 Professional license for about £5.

14. Aspie73

I had the book that's in the image at the start of the article!!

It's how my programming career began, aged 10.

15. Nosher
    WTF?

That's not real BASIC

Just for a minute there I though that you meant BASIC as in the proper stuff out of the 1970s and 80s. What your "mine's a pint" demo shows is something that I presume is much closer to (or even is) VisualBasic. Objects with accessors and methods?! How disappointing.

1. Waseem Alkurdi Silver badge

Re: That's not real BASIC

Yes sir, that's exactly what I've said. I've even used it for a while (the offline version 1.2 though): it _is_ a subset of Visual Basic, and there's the option (in the original version, at least) to "graduate" [sic] it to Visual Studio.

There's even a "graphics mode" that copycats Logo's turtle.

16. Someone Else Silver badge
    Go

I'm sorry, but...

"Crashy McCrashface" FTW!!!!!!

17. Someone Else Silver badge

From the article:

Also hitting public preview is an online version of Microsoft’s spare-time project, Small Basic. The language, aimed at inflicting BASIC on students, celebrates its 10th birthday in October [...]

To which one would reply:

I is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

--Edsger W. Dijkstra

Although, the vast majority of "students" these days could give a flying fuck as to who Dijkstra was, much less what he said...all to their eternal detriment.

18. fraunthall

Can Microsoft not get anything right?

The latest Windows 10 update (April - for ver 1803) was a piece of shit. It blew up my laptop's ability to see itself in "network" in W. Explorer, and it has caused many other users I know about untold headaches on their computers. Can't they get anything right? All the BS bells and whistles provided by W10 cannot replace the reliability of Windows 7. What do they do? - I suspect its just adding new layers and modules into the old code instead of cleaning it up or rewriting the OS. Plenty of room there for bug after bug after bug. Ugh! I know what I am doing with Windoze, but I feel the pain of the ordinary user who, at best, can only roll with the punches. I wish I could use the other OS which shall go nameless.

19. theunregistered

Lets' face it, most of us are just lazy, and want as stress free life as is possible, and if that means all just Microsoft on our computer for compatibility, then so be it. I use a business licence lifetime of office for mine, a couple of squid on ebay, or amazon, never had any issues and even upgraded home win 10 to pro for another couple of sqiudios. what exactly is the problem with that?. i see no problems

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019