back to article Hello 'WOS': Windows on Arm now has a price

Microsoft's long journey away from Intel reached escape velocity this week, as the first traditional laptop machine with Qualcomm's Arm processor was revealed by Lenovo, in the shape of the Yoga C630 WOS. "WOS" stands for "Windows on Snapdragon", how Qualcomm prefers to call "Windows on Arm", and since it's Qualcomm Inside, …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strangely enough

What about those programs that skip the toolchains at points and go straight to the metal for performance reasons?

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deciding whether to run windows on Intel or arm is like deciding whether to smear faeces on your bed or your sofa.

2. tcmonkey
    Paris Hilton

Ok, hands up...

...who here actually cares about running Windows on ARM?

I use Windows extensively, and quite like it; but let's face it - the reason for running Windows on anything is the available software. Which only works on x86. Yes, yes, I know there's some promised-land of emulation, but in literally every case I have experienced the overhead has been obscene, driving either the power consumption up or the user experience down.

I just really don't get who their target market is. Want a device that can play video for ages and ages? Get a Linux or *shudder* Android device.

3. redwine

Contractor rates going up!

Updating application code for new processors is not a hugely expensive task, it's just one that dev teams don't necessarily expect to have to do and possibly don't have the skills for - bring on the contractors!

4. Colin Bain
    Facepalm

The proof is NEVER in the pudding

The proof of the pudding is in the eating! The proof in the pudding is meaningless.

The test of English is in the speaking.

Rant over, as you were....

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like