back to article Atari accuses El Reg of professional trolling and making stuff up. Welp, here's the interview tape for you to decide...

Legendary games company Atari has accused a Register reporter of making stuff up and acting unprofessionally following an interview earlier this year in San Francisco at the launch of its new games console, the Atari VCS. In that article, we were critical of the fact that the machine did not work, and that its chief operating …

Cherry-picking the references, eh?

Have an upvote for mentioning Urusei Yatsura - the second manga I read and the first anime I watched.

Bronze badge

Re: Atari - what is that?

Wait, it isn't the name of that TV series with Judy the chimp...?!?

Close... It's a John Wayne movie.

Does the COO know what Atari is selling?

As per title.

Dear Companies who think they are amazing,

When you have someone presenting a product or representing your company, make sure they actually know what the product is, does, state it's in, when it's going to be released. Don't put someone who uhms and ahs throughout the whole interview.

This was like watching the recent Mexico Germany world-cup match. El Reg is wearing the sombrero and is prepared for everything, and Mikey thinks he's smart, but sadly he isn't.

Silver badge

Re: Does the COO know what Atari is selling?

oh, it's more like that than you might think. Recall that Die Welt said that Germany was gonna build a wall prior to the match... http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/news/world-cup-2018-germany-mexico-wall-newspaper-welt/t3r5e4clpfcvz57siy62x59x

Yes, folks, Germany, home of the Berlin Wall, was gonna build a wall to stop Mexico... who went over, under, and mostly through the wall. Well, the Mango Maniac is, after all, Cherman. Can we send him back, please?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

This made for brilliant reading. I can't wait to listen to the interview later!

Silver badge
Happy

So I take it...

...that this is another hype-happy outfit with a five letter name beginning with A that's never going to invite you to another publicity bash ever?

Well, "Acorn" is no longer (at least, not the one I remember). Who's left?

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: So I take it...

Acorn still exist, in fact they're responsible for most processors on the planet. Though they do go by a different name now. Namely Acorn RISC machine before being renamed Advanced DISC machine.

Silver badge

Re: So I take it...

ARM split off from Acorn circa 1990. Acorn itself carried on afterwards.

VCS: Videogame Console Shenanigans

It is glaringly evident that Arzt doesn't know Jack. Tramiel would have risen from his grave and to rip Mike a new POKEY over the original article; who knows what he would have done over this latest ANTIC.

Atari, for better or worse, suffered from Vaporware Connotation Syndrome: they'd name a product, show off a prototype, get delayed, and then cancel the whole project - but at least they had a working prototype, detailed design notes, and/or engineers explaining their intentions in concrete terms! This new Atari is not what it used to be just as "VCS" has gained a new meaning: "Videogame Console Shenanigans".

Atari owes two apologies: one for having wasted Kieren McCarthy's time at GDC and another for forcing Kieren McCarthy's to waste even more time re-burying Atari in its own BS.

Holmes

This feels familiar

It feels like a Star Citizen story.

Get dreamers, err investors, to stump up cash to produce a prototype of a product.

HerdFunding is whats I calls it. Except the herd is going to the slaughterhouse.

"It feels like a Star Citizen story."

You might say that something pongs about Atari's new console project. And I'm greatly disappointed that the Reg headline maker didn't.

SVV
Silver badge

More retro vapourware?

I have a feeling that all they'll be left with is a bit of a bad Pong.

Silver badge
FAIL

Specs look unrealistic

Specs:

AMD x86 CPU

Graphics: 4K graphics card, for gaming

Price is $250

They also want modern games on it. Now, how can you use an AMD APU in that price range ? Are they gonna use off the shelf Ryzen 3 and GPU ? Have they seen GPU prices ?

They appear to be working on a new version of Tempus, the word processor, why ???

Re: Specs look unrealistic

<blockquote>Now, how can you use an AMD APU in that price range </blockquote>

PS4 - $299

XBox One- $199

Both AMD. Now, they're bigger companies, so expecting $250 from Atari is probably a pipe dream. I'm suspicious about it, but it doesn't seem entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Silver badge

They could be using a Ryzen 5 2400G APU or a Ryzen 3 2200G which is even cheaper.

The retail price for the 2400G is 169 dollars, which buying in volume would make much cheaper, I'm sure it can do 4K since the graphics chipset is an AMD Vega. It would still technically be an AMD x86 CPU and a 4K graphics card.

Silver badge
Holmes

PS4 - $299

XBox One- $199

NOT LAUNCH PRICES and here we are talking VOLUMES Atari cannot dream of attaining, and suppliers will NEVER buy into that if Atari were to try.

Please, please, please, when you don't know anything about hardware sales please refrain.

For a $250 product, Atari have like $80 for components, tops, really, tops!

No sales channel. No trust from suppliers or vendors.

All Atari have is a brand name that should have raked in billions over the years but was mismanaged.

Anything born after 1990 never knew Atari.

Break up those $2 000 000 between board members and close offices already.

I agree.

And this fits with why Michael said they're looking at a different chip. They don't want to repeat the Ouya and make the mistake of releasing obsolete hardware.

Silver badge

Wow, I've just listened to the full interview, and frankly it's painful. Barely a straight answer in the 30 minutes, hedging like a bad politician, it was truly terrible. Why on earth would Atari want to draw attention to this? I guess they hoped that either 1) El Reg just wouldn't notice the comment, or 2) Hadn't kept the interview audio. I hope someone has responded to the thread with a link to this article!

Bronze badge

Personally ...

30 minutes of pain for a massive tick in the box on the personal objectives list and associated remuneration, company results be damned?

Bronze badge

Refundable reservation deposits

The current tactic with new products these days is to create a buzz, cobble up a prototype, take very dramatic photos and create some virtual videos showing what the product will do when finished and then announce that you are accepting advance deposits to hold a place in line for the first production run. After all of that is done, you finish (or start) the engineering. You don't invite in members of the press for what they believe will be a test drive or to allow them a very close look at the prototype. Some of them may have a built in immunity to Hype. Getting a bunch of deposits should fund the product. If it doesn't, you either do some back filling until more dosh comes in, send everybody their money back with a lame excuse or BK the company and move to Monaco.

Anonymous Coward

Questioning journalistic integrity is always going to result in pathetic name calling or complete beat down, particularly if provable facts are involved.

Nothing will piss off a decent journalist more. It's good to see. Article is epic.

Bronze badge
Joke

Management development plan

Michael Arzt, we think you need more training in the fine art of evasion, question ducking, bullet dodging and a general ability to lie convincingly beyond the edge of normal human endurance in the face of overwhelming evidence (plastic, audio or otherwise) when conducting interviews with the press.

Please find attached your voucher for a full term at the Sarah Huckabee Sanders School for Media Relations. Come back a better man.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Management development plan

Maybe the Vega+ guys could make some money back offering training.

Facepalm

I can't believe the Ref didn't stop the fight!

Seriously, that was rather one sided. It wasn't even sporting. Next time we need a handicapping system. Say the reg journo has to use words with a maximum length of for letters? That should go well....

Silver badge

Re: I can't believe the Ref didn't stop the fight!

Use real easy text and boss guy will know what it does mean.

[it's actually harder than it looks, to stick to four letters or less]

Silver badge

Re: I can't believe the Ref didn't stop the fight!

[it's actually harder than it looks, to stick to four letters or less]

Surely it'd be more sporting to use the rules of Just a Minute or, better still, Just a Minim!

M.

Bronze badge
Pint

Carefully blended

A fun read/listen. Beer recommended for the exquisite blend of nostalgia and public humiliation of a deserving kind with an aftertaste of a Dilbert cartoon I'm absolutely certain I must have seen.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Carefully blendedPint Carefully blended

"a deserving kind with an aftertaste of a Dilbert cartoon "

Never go the full Dogbert...

This post has been deleted by its author

What do you expect when you put a Marketing idiot in charge of a tech project?

Silver badge

"What do you expect when you put a Marketing idiot in charge of a tech project?"

Not precisely the words I used to one MD when I handed in my notice, but pretty close. Not so much the writing on the wall as the ten foot high graffiti on the bridge over a big river.

To be perfectly frank, that's probably why Michael wasn't able to answer a lot of the questions very well. He's good at being a project manager and making sure everyone does their job, but he may know less about the technical tidbits than other team members. I work at a software company and see that at work sometimes. :P

Silver badge

The only Atari thing I see these days...

The only Atari thing I see these days is the odd wanky hipster type wearing an Atari logo t-shirt in a vain attempt to appear retro. Ironically enough, and similar to this new console, that attempt doesn't work either.

Silver badge

Pwned.

Meanwhile...

The modern game they've announced is Tempest 4K and the developer of said game had no idea that it was being released on the VCS:

http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?p=1681740#p1681740

For context, Atari and Llamasoft have had a long history together, although they did have a falling out recently due to one of their games being too similar to Tempest. My guess is that the announcement of T4K was due to someone at Atari wanting to play silly buggers with them.

Re: Meanwhile...

Of course you also fail to mention that Llamasoft have actually somewhat retracted their statement and said that they ARE actually going to release the game on the VCS:

https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2018/06/08/tempest-4000-officially-coming-for-atari-vcs/301582/

Keep in mind, Atari didn't say that, Llamasoft did.

Re: Meanwhile...

I hadn't seen that update from Giles, although my point still stands (kinda) in that Atari announced it for VCS before even speaking to Llamasoft about it.

cs9

Apology accepted

^^ Title

Bronze badge

This is why...

This is why Apple still snubs you, decades later.

Reporters are supposed to uncritically re-write the press release. If you can't find synonyms in the dictionary, the PR people are there to help you. Many even provide ghost writing services, although they sometimes don't adhere to the column-inches limit.

And then, once finished with the story, forget everything about the company and product. And never, ever go back and look and compare their statements with previous stories about the company.

Stopped the process at "launch day" and STILL weren't committed to a specific chip?

I smell BS coming from Atari in this interview. No major project that is real and being responsibly managed gets THAT close to its release date and then decides, "Well, maybe we'll just change the fundamental CPU architecture." By the time you're carrying engineering prototypes to trade shows to show them off, you damn' well better have settled on a chip architecture. Once settled, you only change that under dire circumstances. Even if the replacement is essentially identical, you don't delay the project for things that "would be nice." Delays to an almost-ready project cost a LOT of money.

The Atari bloke's statements make it clear that the project is nowhere near the state of readiness they would like us to think it is in.

Having listened to the rest of the excerpts, it's even a bit worse than that. They went all the way to a "product launch" when they knew they didn't have working *engineering prototype* hardware (else they'd have been willing to show at least a don't-touch-this static display of an operating prototype.

Anonymous Coward

I wonder if anyone

Has printed this out and pinned it to the Atari boardroom door

Re: I wonder if anyone

"Has printed this out multiple times and pinned it to the Atari board of directors, using nails and a hammer"

That's better.

Old tat re-boot

Yet another failed reboot of old tat. A fool and his money are soon parted.

What's wrong with a PC / MAC emulator or if you prefer a crappy experience you could always download the Android / iPhone equivalent.

And if you did buy one of those how long would you use or keep it for before realising that they are not longer used for a reason and sling it in the bin?

cd

There's a distinct pong coming off this article.

Duh-Tari

The fun is back

Oh yes siri

A fake piece of plastic

From duh tari

I miss the old days...

...when the hardware said (lets use IBM) "IBM" outside.

You could be sure that every. single. chunk. inside. said IBM, or Made by IBM, or manufactured at [IBM address]. Every single part had the IBM logo, either embossed, or printed, or had at least a sticker. Every manual was carefully constructed, detailed, that even an idiot (hello, myself at age 16) could take it apart with a Phillips screwdriver. And it had pictures! Changing hard drives? Page 18! Adding RAM? Page 12! Your wife dumped you? Annex 12-b! It looked like they gave a fresh box to an intern and told him to put it together, and everything that went wrong on a statistical significance was logged and added to the manual.

Even things like flash a BIOS using a freaking bootable DOS disk were detailed, from which file to download, to "insert disk on drive a:" to how to find the reset button on the carcass of your model. They took you by the hand, and politely opened the limo door for you while holding an umbrella. You felt a VALUED CUSTOMER, you felt CARED.

These days, everything is licensed, it betrays the confidence you placed on this or that company, because almost ANYTHING is done through third-parties, where the Main company does NOT vouch for their warranty, or quality, or whatever.

(Not everybody. Shout out to AMD, that replaced me a Ryzen that never booted with a new one. RMA and a fresh proc across 2 continents in 15 days.)

We lost something valuable here.

Silver badge

Re: I miss the old days...

Still didn't tell you where the "any" key was

Silver badge

Re: I miss the old days...

The "any key" is on the underside of your keybr0ad, as any fule kno ... No, really! Next time your computer asks you to press any key, turn your keyboard over. I guarantee that you'll find any key. (Source: Impromptu tech support for upper manglement, Bigger Blue, early 1981.)

I'm a little disappointed to be honest. I have high hopes for this console. Maybe the company is just totally shit at PR (techie in a single room for years on end alien syndrome) and the console will be decent when it finally makes it to the public.

Jury is still out here.

Bronze badge
Coat

To be honest,

it is not unusual if you point at a brandnew product on show at the IBC and ask whether you can buy it and what it will cost, panic will break out because it is only a (working) prototype. BTW the IBC and funerals are the only venues I visit with suit and (normal resp. black) tie. It helps to get answers.

Mine is the one with the inflatable tank in the pocket.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018