back to article PETA calls for fish friendly Swedish street signage

Today is World Ocean Day! To celebrate, PETA has asked Mayor of Stockholm, Karin Wanngård, to maybe change a street name to something a bit more fish-friendly. Fiskargatan, or "Fisherman's Street" in Södermalm comes in for stick, with the animal rights organisation suggesting that "Fish Are Friends Street" would better, …

Fishkill

As a resident of Fishkill, New York, I can tell you that we got that call from PETA back in 1996:

http://www.cnn.com/US/9609/06/fishy.name/

We've got a lot of kills in this area; Peekskill, Wallkill, Sawkill, Deerkill to name a few. Turns out this area was settled by the Dutch and "kill" means "body of water". You know, where fish generally live.

Silver badge

Re: Fishkill

I love that mayors response to PETA, summed up it's basically:

"Are you bloody stupid? It don't mean what you think it means. Don't be so stupid, we ain't changing it mate."

Silver badge

Specifically, a "viskil" is a body of water, municipally or privately owned, that is set up specifically to breed fish for consumption.

Silver badge

Damn.. overran editing time..

Judging from google maps, the original kil should still be there, with the remains of an attached duck trap. It's the double body of water between the railroad and the creek, left of Sam's Club.

Bonus points for Rapalje Road, by the way.. ( rapalje = (murderous) scum )

Coat

Also, since IBMs R&D chip fab is there, I guess you're all set for fish and chips.

See icon.

I would fully support changing the name of Rapalje Road to Murderous Scum Road -- nice one.

Oh and there is an obligatory tech tie-in I failed to mention, East Fishkill next door is home to Globalfoundries 300mm CMOS fab (used to be Big Blue back in the day). I believe the first run of Playstation 2 Cell chips were stamped out there.

"I believe the first run of Playstation 2 Cell chips were stamped out there."

Cell chips where in PlayStation 3, not 2.

Silver badge

May have meant the Reality chips which WERE in the PS2.

Joke

Let's go with PETA...

Stop eating any animals and eat Soylent Green instead. PETA members can supply the raw materials.

Re: Let's go with PETA...

In the original book (Make Room, Make Room by Harry Harrison) Soylent was a mix of soya and lentils (hence the name) - only in the film was it made of people!

Silver badge
Coat

Soylent Green - new, PORK flavor!

(I had to read 'Typee' when I was in college)

coat, please

Anonymous Coward

Also, in the film wasn't Soylent Green being introduced as a replacement for the seafood (ok, probably from mainly plankton type critters rather than actual fish) Soylent blue which was becoming scarce due to over "harvesting" the oceans?

Anonymous Coward

Fiskargatan, or "Fisherman's Street" in Södermalm comes in for stick, with the animal rights organisation suggesting that "Fish Are Friends Street" would better

I am not big on that, but would be down for "PETA Are Remora Street".

Silver badge

Wow.

Lots of meat eating snowflakes in this thread.....

Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow.

I think you'll find it's more about the stupidity of Peta and not veganism which most people don't have a problem with until they actually meat a vegan.

Silver badge

"until they actually meat a vegan."

Deliberate or Freudian?

And how are you supposed to know that someone is a ve.... never mind.

Anonymous Coward

"And how are you supposed to know that someone is a ve.... never mind."

Their partner rings up a hour before your dinner party to tell you. As you had been told originally they were vegetarians - and the local shop is now closed - it takes some quick thinking to make a suitable menu adjustment.

Silver badge

"And how are you supposed to know that someone is a ve...."

The same way you get to know someone uses Apple.

"Lots of meat eating snowflakes in this thread....."

Snowflakes eat meat now? No wonder I hate the biting cold.

Anonymous Coward

@Doctor Syntax

Deliberately Freudian, hope that clears it up.

Silver badge

Make a suitable menu adjustment? Nah. What they don't know won't hurt 'em. As I've proven many times. (My SIL is vegan, and prone to showing up without so much as a by-your-leave. We tell her it's vegan, and she asks for seconds ... and also tells anybody who will listen how good a cook I am. Before anybody says it, we are discussing vegans, not folks who are allergic ... which I will happily bend over backwards to accommodate.)

Silver badge

No snowflakes. Just one flake.

Silver badge

But can some vegans be forced vegans due to an animal-related allergy?

Silver badge

I have yet to meet anyone who is allergic to ALL types of animal products. I have recently started becoming intolerant (as in "run to the toilet and hope not to end with a brown stain in the pants" intolerant) to pork products (the fats and derived products like gelatin seem to be the main culprit). Other red meats seem to be more tolerated by my bowels, but still not 100% ok. I've reduced my meat intake in general, and eat more chicken and fish.

Anonymous Coward

I'm myself somewhat lactose-intolerant, which can be a problem because I also seem to have issues with drinking anything else (including water, which starts tasting metallic after the first pint or so). If it isn't diarrhea, it's scratchy throat, it seems.

Am I the only one who has an urge to eat veal every time the humaniacs at PETA do something like this?

Silver badge

I go for bacon cheeseburger. For every animal they want to "save", I eat 2.

Silver badge
Happy

we need to save endangered species by coming up with a REALLY GOOD recipe. Then people will want to buy 'canned banana slug' (for example) to spread on their sandwiches! You'll never run out, when they're DELICIOUSLY PREPARED! (and, raised in ranches)

Abattoir Road(s)

There are plenty of these around the UK for them to get their knickers in a twist about.

GJC

Actually a closer translation of "Fiskarnas Vänners Gata" would be The Fishermen's Friends Street. Knowing that the Scandinavians have a special salty licorice (salmiak) version of the throat lozenge of that name, I suspect the street name is a secret attempt by the marketing department of the Fleetwood based company to advertise their menthol throat lozenges.

Re: The Fishermen's Friends Street.

Cue jokes about what the fisherman's wife gets up to with his friend when he's away.

Silver badge

On Topic

As it happens, the village of Fishkill in New York is of no little significance in the computer industry, being the former location of a major IBM research campus.

Just let them fade into obscurity

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals. Now that's an organization that I can get behind.

All joking aside, since the relevancy of PETA is...well...none, articles like this give them what they want the most: attention. People who are completely vegan are in general unhealthy and have to take supplements because our bodies are not designed to process plant matter effectively.

PETA is nothing more than the brown stain on used bathroom tissue.

Silver badge

Re: Just let them fade into obscurity

The problem with your strategy is that it doesn't work with crazy people. People starved for attention will go to ANY lengths to get it. Thus the streetside campaigns at furriers and so on. If their current campaigns stop working, they'll just find something even more shocking while hiding behind Freedom of Speech.

PS. I heard about their survival rates, but as a frequent watcher of Animal Cops, I will take the number with a grain of salt since we don't know why the high rate. I mean, if they're constantly getting terminally-ill or grievously-injured animals, then that might provide an explanation.

The whole point of blackmarking them on mainstream media is so they get relegated to the fringe publications which are inhabited by people just as crazy as they are, if not more so. So in that case, let them have at it.

Back in the day however, PETA did do a lot of good in advancing animal rights. They got women to mostly stop wearing fur coats and such. That pissed off the furries, but oh well. A changing world means that you need to change with it or be left behind.

Silver badge

"Back in the day however, PETA did do a lot of good in advancing animal rights."

Rights? What rights? Are they going to get the vote soon? Can they legally be licensed to drive? Do they need to register for the draft and/or sign up for national service? I'll believe in the concept of "animal's rights" when they are capable of expressing why the concept is or is not a good idea.

"They got women to mostly stop wearing fur coats and such."

What's good about wasting rabbit pelts? The critters are going to get eaten regardless, after which they aren't using their skins anymore ... Are you arguing that they should rot? Don't try to make the argument that humans should stop eating meat. That is not ever going to happen. Humans are omnivores, despite a few holier-than-thou types protesting to the contrary.

'I'll believe in the concept of "animal's rights" when they are capable of expressing why the concept is or is not a good idea.'

Some of them are capable of expressing such concepts, it's us dumb humans that can't understand them.

Silver badge

"What's good about wasting rabbit pelts?"

I don't. I tan them. :) After I've shot them and eaten them.

Silver badge

"The whole point of blackmarking them on mainstream media is so they get relegated to the fringe publications which are inhabited by people just as crazy as they are, if not more so. So in that case, let them have at it."

But someone crazy enough will just plan something SO ostentatious that the MSM will be FORCED to cover it...or risk getting scooped and panned for not covering something THAT big. That's why ignoring bullies doesn't always work. Some are willing to go further than survival instinct will allow.

Silver badge

Smoke me a Kipper....

...PETA has asked Mayor of Stockholm, Karin Wanngård, to maybe change a street name to something a bit more fish-friendly....

...I'll be back for breakfast!

"Do you have a vegan option?"

"Yes, you can fuck off."

Silver badge

Overheard by me in a steak restaurant in Arizona, years ago:

"What do you recommend for vegetarians?"

"Ma'am, I recommend you move to California."

Anonymous Coward

"Ma'am, I recommend you move to California."

I wonder what would happen if the vegetarian then replied, "Then may I have your name, please, so that I and the hundreds of friends I have will come nowhere near your establishment anymore? Oh, and did I mention that one of those friends is a food columnist for the Arizona Republic?"

Bronze badge
Facepalm

If numbers count

those animal-righters should have themselves infected with malaria or an other Plasmodium species a.s.a.p., because that is the only way to make millions of these parasites happy and let them have sex.

Silver badge

Re: If numbers count

"those animal-righters should have themselves infected with malaria or an other Plasmodium species a.s.a.p."

And let's not forget tapeworms either. Or lice and fleas.

Bronze badge

Vegan fish?

Does that mean the fish was vegan? No, so are grass-fed cattle, and I don't think PETA (PITA?) is ok with that.

Can someone confuse me on a higher level?

Holmes

How come

no one's mentioning the shark with a frikking laser on it's head?

Why am I mentioning it? Well, it's alignment is well off.

Re: How come

It just needs to be battered back into alignment.

Silver badge

Non PC

In the '70s, I worked for a guy who had a contract fitting heavy electrical switchgear at Windscale, we stayed with one of his friends about twenty miles away from the plant, the friend Bob hated all the animal libbers who used to bother the farmers and the stock auctions around there so he had a teeshirt printed up with a pic of a whale spouting a mushroom cloud and the legend 'Nuke the Whales'. That produced much hilarity with the hairies in the pubs and at the markets, I may do a rerun and get some printed up.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018