back to article Microsoft's latest Windows 10 update downs Chrome, Cortana

Microsoft says it's looking into reports that apps including "Hey Cortana" and Google Chrome hang or freeze for those who have installed the recent Windows 10 April 2018 Update. The company suggests trying the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B to wake the screen or, for laptop users, opening and closing device lid, in an …

Page:

1. el kabong

Good for you!

It is such a pity your report can't be more helpful to the many others who were not so lucky.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: No issues so far

Are you running one of the affected GPUs? It seems the bug will not affect many users, as these GPUs are only some of the many intel make. If indeed you are running one of the mentioned chipsets, then maybe it requires more specific stress.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It it ain't broke, you're not trying

It's the nature of software development to cram in more and more features without properly investing in cleanup. All the big players are hurting. Windows 10 is always broken. A number of companies have recently prohibited Apple purchases because High Sierra is impossible to manage and too buggy to maintain, if it even installs at all. Android updates aren't gaining much traction because the OS is getting complicated by Google's odd technical whims. Desktop Linux remains impossible to install without searching online for cures to cryptic configuration bugs. (Using Linux 18.04 right now and the Super key works fine on one computer but only semi-works on another)

The fix is always a new OS. The question is who will deliver it.

1. Twanky

Re: It it ain't broke, you're not trying

Ubuntu != Linux

2. boltar Silver badge

"Desktop Linux remains impossible to install without searching online for cures to cryptic configuration bugs."

I installed Slackware on my laptop. The only issues I've had are with printer drivers. But then frankly, who hasn't had problems with those at some point?

"(Using Linux 18.04 right now and the Super key works fine on one computer but only semi-works on another)"

There's no such thing as Linux 18.04. You mean Ubuntu. And that doesn't work for you try another distro, there are plenty to choose from. Ubuntu tends to have a lot of bleeding edge stuff in it which can be less than reliable at times.

1. Not That Andrew

Yup Debian or Slackware are best and most stable. Once you Slack, you never go back.

3. elgarak1

"A number of companies have recently prohibited Apple purchases because High Sierra is impossible to manage and too buggy to maintain, if it even installs at all."

Please provide a link. Unless I have non-existing google-fu, I cannot confirm this on my own.

That said, I happily run High Sierra, and it does not a single annoying thing of the many I experience on my Mom's Windows 10 laptop. But then, I'm not a corporate user and do not know what kind of weird requirements corporate IT have developed in order to maintain Windows.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

High sierra installs have become very unreliable. Some people have no problems at all. Others have some difficulty getting the install back into working order but once that's accomplished, everything works perfectly. That's my sister, whose mac I had to reinstall and restore from backup but there has been no problem since. Others have noted frequent application crashes and operating system instability. And then there's me, where something that happened at the update has put my machine into a seemingly endless loop of bricking itself for about two weeks before restarting fine for about a week before starting again. This issue did not happen before the high sierra update and it persists through clean installs of high sierra, sierra, and el capitan, so I'm presuming some kind of firmware problem. In addition, various security bugs have been found in High Sierra which has led to questioning of the quality control on this release. I assume some corporates are dealing with these problems and have become perhaps excessively irritated due to a small sample set of machines that failed. Then again, I'm the same--I'm not sure I could buy another mac, given the fact that apple has failed to make any change or diagnose the problem that my machine has.

2. revenant Bronze badge
    Unhappy

Not a problem here.

These issues don't bother me because I can't even upgrade to version 1803. It fails on final reboot and restores 1709, and all I get is an obscure error code - 0xc1900101. And then it proceeds to install itself again, and fail and ...

Plenty of people having the problem but no clear indications what is wrong.

1. Fading Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Not a problem here.

One of my laptops has this behaviour - looks like it is an issue if you have a dedicated GPU as well as an iGPU. There is a solution - run the install but when it begins "installing" after downloading the update turn off the internet connection. Elegant it is not and I for one would have delayed the install had I known (foolishly updated the laptop after my desktop update with no problems (I don't use cortana or chrome on my desktop).

1. revenant Bronze badge
        Happy

@Fading - Thanks for the advice. I don't think it's GPU-related as this is a Linx tablet, though I note that in many instances the problem seems to be driver-related.

It's just failed for the 6th time so I'll try turning the network off after downloading, as you suggest.

2. JWLong

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolution-procedures#0xc1900101

1. revenant Bronze badge

Unfortunately the article on resolving "0xc1900101" errors didn't help as I didn't have a matching secondary code.

So I had a look at "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4089834/windows-10-troubleshoot-problems-updating". Tried everything suggested and no luck.

I thought I'd have a go at using the 'Microsoft Virtual Agent'. I told her I was having trouble upgrading to 1803: she pondered for a minute then crashed and told me I'd better talk to a real person.

So, after the 14th failure, I gave up and downloaded the "Media Creation Tool" and ran the upgrade from the media.

Upgrade was smooth, and only took an hour or two.

Subsequently I've had problems.

Perhaps next time I should just cut the crap and go straight for a clean upgrade rather than relying on what seems to be an increasingly broken Windows Update.

3. Roger Greenwood

Killing cortana . .

. . is a feature I would almost pay for.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: Killing cortana . .

It's the Rampancy, I predicted this a looooong time ago when they first used the name in Windows10

4. mrmond

Not Chrome specifically.

Chrome and a combination of other apps like Discord plus a combination of any 3D apps.

I've got Intel 620 & Nvidia on the main laptop and thought I'd fixed it by turning transparency effects off, for a little while things seemed ok and then I turned transparency back on and instant lock up again, CPU not even at 50%.

However I tried again on the next reboot with it off and still locking up so I rolled back and things back to normal...BUT...updates downloading again. Other Win touch tablet downloaded and applied update overnight, immediately rolled back as the 25gb free dropped to 15 then even after rolling back and cleaning up install files still only had 18, again, downloading updates!

Somebody stop this nightmare!

If they give us an option to rollback, why do they immediately force it on us again!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Not Chrome specifically.

Because they're clever like that.

Set your WiFi as a metered connection. If you're on an Etihernet cable, switch over to WiFi and set it up as a metered connection.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not Chrome specifically.

If it was exclusively Chrome then it would look bad. But as it effects another product it looks like an accident. Pity about the FUD it puts on Chrome.

It's a bit like the accident last month where monthly updates caused servers running 2008r to lose their static ip address details if virtualised under VMware. Pity about the FUD it puts on VMware.

5. big_D Silver badge

Not here...

I've not noticed it here (Firefox). I have half a dozen Kaby Lakes here and none are showing this freezing. At home my Ryzen 1700 hasn't shown any effects, neither has my Skylake laptop.

6. Elmer Phud Silver badge

I don't mind about Coratana . . .

. . . but now I have to find a replacement Freecell.

Bastards have really gone OTT with the 'pay us to remove annoying shit'.

Others may not look so good but I can ignore the adverts.

1. fran 2

Re: I don't mind about Coratana . . .

You can get the win 7 version of freecell for win10 at the winaero website

2. Steve 114

Re: I don't mind about Coratana . . .

Can't you copy Freecell off an old XP HDD like the rest of us? (don't forget the 'cards' DLL' too).

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Apps including "Hey Cortana" and Google Chrome hang

So it's the Windows "Bye Cortana & Google Chrome Hang From Lampposts" edition?

8. 0laf Silver badge
    Windows

"Oh Cortana is broken" notice no one.

9. mrmond

Turned off updates on the tablet...

And discovered I can't update any store apps. Any suggestions how I update those without 1803 downloading again?

10. BillBam

I keep getting a dead system on reboot

I have a HP Pavilion laptop with an I7 processor (Kaby Lake). When I updated twice in the last few days it looked like it worked properly but when I reboot, after a few seconds I have a dead system and had to revert back to the previous version.

However, once I have the previous version running, the upgrade downloads again so the next time I reboot, it gets installed, and then on rebooting I ended up with a dead system again. I had to stop the automatic updates.

I "chated" to a Microsoft support person and he provided the following instructions to turn off the automatic updates. Once I am ready again to try it I am to select the "Check for updates" button in Windows Update.

1. Open the run box (windows key + R key), type in it " services.msc".

2. It will open a box, search for " Bit driver locker encryption ". Right click on it and change the automatic/ manual to disable > hit Apply and Ok.

3. Now, search for " Cryptographic services ". Right click on it and change the automatic/ manual to disable > hit Apply and Ok.

4. Now, search for " Windows installer ". Right click on it and change the automatic/ manual to disable > hit Apply and Ok. (Note: for me, it was set to “manual” and I could not change it so I was told to ignore it)

5. Now, search for " Windows updates ". Right click on it and change the automatic/ manual to disable > hit Apply and Ok.

So I will try in a few weeks again to see if it improves.

1. DJV Silver badge

"So I will try in a few weeks again to see if it improves."

It won't...

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: I keep getting a dead system on reboot

3. Now, search for " Cryptographic services ". Right click on it and change the automatic/ manual to disable > hit Apply and Ok.

WTF?

11. StuartFawcett

Intel patch fixed mine

I had this issue for about 2 days, finally the ststem prompted me to install this:

"Intel Corporation - Display - 2/28/2018 12:00:00 AM - 23.20.16.4973 "

and then all was OK, so far 30 hours good.

Alse page 7 here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/computer-freezing-after-installing-windows-10/74a3a9e3-8bbb-4149-a146-fd12ff19b075?messageId=b2e2e4e6-09a4-4a20-99c1-f79ea80a245c&rtAction=1525428829917

12. StuartFawcett

"Intel Corporation - Display - 2/28/2018 12:00:00 AM - 23.20.16.4973 "

13. Avatar of They
    Mushroom

Sigh.

Just made the jump to win 10 after much animosity and hatred - because of games (still a Linux fanboy for everything of importance) and need for new hardware.

I have read how pretty much every release has crashed, bricked or burned one or two things in Windows. and it is always someone elses fault, but I always thought how it can't all be true. Despite supporting my families laptops who actually have crashed at 100% CPU for 2 days and then eventual death and roll back with each major release.

However with hope my new machine arrived and I have been hit by the seemingly very common fault that games don't play in full screen. You have to use 'windowed mode'. And none of the fixes so far (11 and counting) work. Surely someone at MS realises games are a key use of computers? Even a half dead lobotomised monkey from Mars knows that games are played on computers, but not MS apparently.

Now I realise win 10 is garbage and all the negative reports are true.

1. agatum
      Pint

Re: Sigh.

Even a half dead lobotomised monkey from Mars

So there IS life on other planets, I KNEW IT!

1. hplasm Silver badge
        Coat

"Even a half dead lobotomised monkey from Mars"

The POTUS uses Win10?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Just made the jump to win 10 after much animosity and hatred - because of games (still a Linux fanboy for everything of importance) and need for new hardware. .. Now I realise win 10 is garbage and all the negative reports are true.

Just install Windows 7 on your new PC. Win7 works very fine also on new 2018 hardware without problems, and yes ALL games from 1995 to 2018 works as they should.

Hint for Win7: better deactivate windows update and remove some phone-home updates (released after 2014), to be 100% spyware free

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nadella has been trying to convince world plus dog to use Edge, as their default browser. I refuse to do that, as I can't stand Edge. It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to break any installation of Chrome, in order to coerce people into using Edge. Not me. Screw Edge. And you can delay the installation of this update crap fest, but not for long. After I manually disabled the Windows Update Service, it STILL tried to download and install this May Creator's Update, so I had to do the "Metered Connection" thing to delay it. Forced automatic updates, with automatic reboots are ridiculous. This isn't giving anyone the warm and fuzzies...

1. 0laf Silver badge

I struggle to understand why bundling IE resulted in a massive EU court case and new version of Windows yet forcing Edge down everyone's throat is fine. Ditto for Chrome on Droid

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No one but the suits at MS likes Edge. They _want_ to like it, but they're mostly using Chrome any way because it works. It also has the benefit of having overwhelming market share.

The real problem was the capricious axing of QA in the O/S division, that has been compounded by a reorg that essentially erased the division itself. This update is pretty much the experience you can expect from "Devices and Experiences".

As a Unix sysadmin and sometimes developer a Linux desktop (Fedora for around a decade, more recently Ubuntu for "stability", just before its benevolent dictator gave up on convergence) has been all I've needed for a long time. Unfortunately, in the corporate world there's always some new thing that requires Windows before you can find a workaround. Due to the recklessness of most users the security types have (rightly) been able to force uniformity in everything on the desktop, including the O/S. As a result, I now do most work in a Linux VM on Windows instead of the opposite.

Lately, the fam have been complaining about Win-instability but don't press it because they know what my answer will be. Unlike me, they're heavily invested in Windows only games and so are held hostage by that. I've given up on the never quite ready yet GPU pass through stuff after wasting hours on it. So, like politics, I've come to the conclusion that this is another problem the next generation is going to have to sort out.

15. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

Real reason for Cortana gone walkabouts - she's over in Sugar Rush with Fix-it Felix and Wreck-it Ralph looking for something they all need to win the game...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FreeBSD FTW

17. rmullen0

They need to make it more modular, trim features, and reduce the Windows updates

I have felt this way for a long time. Microsoft needs to trim Windows down so that it is more minimal. The worst thing about it are the Windows updates. I have several computers and a couple of them are low end NUCs. It is a huge chore keeping them up to date. I probably spend at least an 8 hour day updating them every month. There's patch Tuesday, but, they also throw in at least 1 or 2 other unscheduled updates every month as well. The stinking AV software is a huge tax on the system as well. It probably adds a good 40% slowdown overall. Also, OneDrive, Office updates, and .NET updates slow things down a lot.

1. 0laf Silver badge

Re: They need to make it more modular, trim features, and reduce the Windows updates

A significant push to update my home pc was to cope with W10 updates. It was a cheap but perfectly serviceable i3, 8Gb with SSD, rig which handled pretty much everything I threw at it for years including games. The only thing that brought it to its knees was the WinUpdate service.

I'm now running a Ryzen 7 1800 with 16Gb and it can just about cope with W10 updates. They now take 30min rather than a whole evening.

1. shawnfromnh

Re: They need to make it more modular, trim features, and reduce the Windows updates

I prefer Manjaro with a 5 minute update and no reboot and no nasty surprises so far and it's blazing fast compared to windows so I don't miss WU or anything else windows like antivirus and shit that shouldn't be needed for a user with enough experience to know what no to click and where not to go.

18. Tezfair

3 hours and went back

Some personalisations were lost but the biggest issue was windows flagging up with 'windows license will expire soon' every few minutes. Yet go into activation and its all activated and happy and has been for about 3 years. Gone back to the previous build and all is calm again.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EEE - force users to Edge/IE

Anti-competitive behaviour, business as usual by them. When will "US vs. MS" finally split up this ugly company

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EEE - force users to Edge/IE

It's all about docx. Transitional docx anyone? Microsoft Office is still using the transitional version almost 10 years later. But worse, each version of Office has some bits of the transitional format implemented differently, is this due to a poor spec or ms mistakes? I dont know, but how confusing! Let alone the c fonts.

20. Scroticus Canis
    Devil

Windows 10 April Fools' 2018 Update.

FTFY.

21. shawnfromnh

Because on May 8th MS has an entire new set of fuckups to present you on that windows update.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

"Winnix"

You cannot call it Windows any longer as it stopped being that with Vista its a 'Nix' with run levels and all.

I have a long list of Hardware that Linux has destroyed, all since rise of Ubuntu, on the other hand Microsoft kills my subscriptions and access to other programs and hardware and time. I have a list of the hundreds of pointless hours spent working around Windows faults only to have the workarounds rendered useless with a change to Windows via updates.

For many years Microsoft staff could not even refer correctly to updates, often in documents calling them updates, upgrades, packs, patches, service, security, and so many other things I just cannot remember them. I stopped updating and only then downloaded administrative service packs manually going thru them bit by bit.

With much software(Softwire) an update means a design change to keep up with operating systems, for their fashion conscious fanbois. Only serving to remove access to essential portions of the software I rely on or kill it altogether. Reminds me of the motor vehicle industry shuffling designs to seem relevant and sell models.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: "Winnix"

I have a long list of Hardware that Linux has destroyed, all since rise of Ubuntu,

Ubuntu <> Linux <> Ubuntu

There are plenty of other Linux Distro's that even have a 10 year support cycle. Ubuntu is not the only game in town and has not been for a long, long time.

23. Kapudan-i Derya

"Microsoft's latest Windows 10 update downs Chrome, Cortana"

Must be a privacy update then:-)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019