back to article Car-crash television: 'Excuse me ma'am, do you speak English?' 'Yes I do,' replies AMD's CEO

Some of us love watching Formula One for the prangs and crashes – but we don't really expect them to happen before the race even begins. Yet, that's the only way to describe a live TV interview at the Chinese Formula One Grand Prix on Sunday, which went embarrassingly wrong. Former Formula One driver and Sky Sports telly …

Silver badge

F1 is shit.

I didn't even like it when I worked for Mclaren in Woking. I've always loved the Paris - Dakar rally raid type motorsport though. Always fancied doing it in a high powered dustcart.

Anonymous Coward

Re: F1 is shit.

I used to love watching the group B rally cars, now that's proper brass-balls driving.

It didn't affect me in later life, honest...

/me hides Lancia key

Silver badge

Thanks for your insight.

Silver badge
WTF?

"brass-balls driving"

Ari Vatanen in an Opel Manta, with a flat tyre, over a cattle grid.

https://youtu.be/cxDz0Z066NI

MJI
Silver badge

Rallying was fun.

And some of the cars used were actually very good at it as I found on my commute many years ago sliding round corners on loose chippings looking out the door window of my Sunbeam

Are you me?

David Coulthard

Although Steve Jones ruins C4's F1 Coverage, David Coulthard is the undisputed king of grid walks and double enterdres - especially when he's paired up with Mark Webber.

IIRC in 2017 at Monaco he was walking backwards and talking to the camera when he walked into the Crown Prince.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: David Coulthard

Still doing it then?

Since F1 left BBC I have no idea who is presenting.

Where is the next generation of F1 fans going to come from?

Not all motorsports fans have bought an expensive TV subscription.

Pay TV kills sports.

Anonymous Coward

Just as well no one watches F1 these days then

Anonymous Coward

'No-one'

600 million viewers worldwide would disagree..

No harm done. I can describe at least one other thing Martin has done (as a tv commentator) that's a lot more insensitive than that...

Yeah, so now you are going after Martin Brundle??

This belongs in The Sun, or even better, the sun.

Silver badge
Windows

F1 Racing.

In all honesty, the crew that teaches 6 to 10 year olds how to drive 4 wheel ATVs up around SWMBO's brother's place puts on *much* more entertaining races. Its honestly hysterical to watch, from gearing the little ones up, to watching them waddle over to the machines, to the chaos on the track.

Bronze badge

Industry Titan Guess Who?

This could be a new game, except no one cares, she’s a girl, does invisible work, pays for everything and is not Wazza. I recently had a conversation with a close family discussing renumeration and value to society. Who do you value more a paediatric heart surgeon who saved a family members life or Wayne Rooney? The reply; “There’s only one Wayne Rooney”. #igiveupyouwin

JDX
Gold badge

The only confusion is why he went up to someone he didn't know, rather than anyone else. In what world is a tech boss recognisable other than Gates or Zuckerburg?

Silver badge

The curse of technology

This is one of those results of technology that allows "on the spot" stuff and thus gets used willy-nilly to fill in otherwise dead time, or to create a false sense of immediacy in coverage. The most infamous example in the US (of the ones not involving death or injury) happened when a well-respected political reporter was inconveniently in the studio when protocol required her to deliver her spiel live in front of some gummint building. So they green-screened her in, and she paid a hefty price for simply doing what the producer droid insisted she had to do to pacify the media gods.

Brundle is the reason I don't watch Sky's coverage. Cannot stand him.

Coat

All we know for sure is Brundle wasn't Intel agent.

>>To be fair to Brundle, Su is probably recognizable only in the tech world,

Soooo, no story here then really?

Moving on to actual news...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018