back to article My Tibetan digital detox lasted one morning, how about yours?

My nuts are freezing. So are my toes and fingertips. It's chilly here on my remote Tibetan mountaintop. Being removed from the hurly burly of everyday modern existence gives me a chance to contemplate the truly important things in life. I exercise mindfulness as my exhalations produce swirling clouds before me. I consider the …

Page:

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Thumb Up

How to tell an epic masterpiece is at hand.

When the first sentence is "My nuts are freezing."

I knew immediately I was in for a treat. Well done, Mr. Dabbs.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. MrT

Re: How to tell an epic masterpiece is at hand.

It did take the next couple of lines for me to twig that this was a genuine single-entendre, and not the prelude to a story about changing a blown tyre in a blizzard...

2. Stevie

Bah!

"If I pulled a heap of tourist brochures and an Ordnance Survey map from my backpack, no one would bat an eyelid."

No, but you can bet your life some berk would start addressing the air anywhere but in your direction as to the thoughtlessness of bringing backpacks into such a place, and you'd have at least one person "accidentally" kick it or trip over it to illustrate how ignorant you were being, even if you tucked it under your recently claimed table.

3. Pookaboy

Where can I get the Cool "The Reg Mug"?

Love the mug and wanted to know where I can get one to show my The Reg (s)Mugness at my work!

Thanks from the other side of the pond!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Where can I get the Cool "The Reg Mug"?

Right now they are a very limited edition item. Maybe one day we'll bring back Cash'n'Carrion, our Reg merch store.

C.

1. Shadow Systems

At DiodeSign...

Bring back the store! We need more cool ElReg tat to flaunt at the office!

*Chanting & pounding the desk in time*

Bring. Back. the Store!

Bring. Back. the Store!

Bring! Back! The Store!

Damn it, how are we supposed to help support our favorite rag of twisted journo's & illigitemite... illiterminate... investment... loveable editors if you don't bring back the store?

=-D

4. PhilipN Silver badge

Blowing up Buddha

It’s ok. It’ll be reincarnated countless billions of times

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...live experiences....music concerts and theatre."

I went to the Symphony once.

The music was nice....at first. Then, after perhaps ten minutes, the Brass section starting draining spittle out of their instruments, onto the polished stage floor. Every few minutes, with an invisible cue. the several French Horns turned and turned and turned in synchronized phase-locked rotation, until streams of spittle dribbled out and splashed into the growing pond. The Tuba maintenance was less frequently, but simply revolting with vast buckets of goop being dumped out. The great pool of human saliva glistened under the lights, stage and seating precisely aligned, with bubbles randomly forming and bursting. When the great Bass Drum was pounded, the ocean of drool oscillated in symphonic sympathy. The orchestral players adjusted their feet upwards, safely positioning their expensive shoes on the cross rails of their chair legs. I may have had hallucinations, but I'm sure that I saw the rapidly moving dorsal fin of something swimming across, presumably chasing its prey. There were subtle interference effects as the lights interacted with the thin-film surface of the larger saliva bubbles; I felt sadness when one particularly colourful bubble popped.

Concert? If they were playing any music, then sorry....I missed it.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: "...live experiences....music concerts and theatre."

Was that supposed to be post-ironic? I only ask because it came off as bog-standard Internet hyperbole.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

no internet with only a "dumbphone"

Shirley not! Wasn't Twitter invented to use SMS because smartphones weren't invented yet? Isn't that the reason for the message length? Or are the "detox" holidays aimed at people so young they can't understand that there was life before smartphones?

Actually, now that I think of it, can you still use Twitter via SMS?

7. FuzzyWuzzys

Hesiod

'observe due measure; moderation is best in all things' - Hesiod, 700bc

The problem is that we haev so much around us, so much food, so many distractions, so much free time, so many causes, so many things on our bucket list, the list of "stuff to we want" goes on an on and on. We spend all our time constantly flitting from one thing to another that we very rarely ever finish anything properly.

One thing I learned as i turned the corner into my middle age at 40 was to try to limit the things i want and the things I can reasonably do. So I make sure I go out an take walks, I have a phone and a camera with me. I make sure to spend time with my family. I don't eat as much crap junk food as I used to, I don't try to do too much at once. Sometimes I just veg out on the sofa watching shite cartoons on the TV on a Saturday afternoon. Some days I get up at the crack of dawn and spend the morning out walking. One thing I do is I try to do one thing at a time and enjoy what I'm doing there and then. I don't go out walking and constantly scan my Facebook. Twitter or whatever. I have the phone in my pocket so I know I can if I want to but I don't. I walk and I watch life around me. Other days I get up at 4am and I studying some new tech until breakfast time with my family. I enjoy what I'm doing for the there and then, make sure I want to do that one thing and then have no regrets. The worst thing is to pick an activity and then spend that time wishing you'd picked something else, never being satisfied.

As I reach the middle years I know I'm half way to my grave, so I try to use the time wisely and carefully enjoying what I'm doing else if you spend all your time planning what you'll do, you'll never have time to do it. Or worse still you'll spend all your time flitting between things and never really enjoy them. Using tech is not a problem, eating crap is not a problem, vegging in front of the TV is not a problem, running up mountains, rock climbing, travelling, none of these are good or bad, just don't do the same thing over and over, enjoy each one in moderation and when you get to meet your chosen maker, you'll know you'll have at least enjoyed your little slice of life not spend eternity thinking, "Oh bollocks, I wished I'd done XYZ!".

8. Eeep !

Is anyone actually interested in what Dabbs writes? Or just in up-ing their comment count? Or are replies to him just the only way they can register a smidgen of significance of a life before dementia means they and no-one else will be interested? Who cares about the details any of you have told us - guess 1 - and even you are probably bored by them.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like