back to article 10 PRINT "ZX81 at 37" 20 GOTO 10

The ZX81 was launched 37 years ago this week as a £49.95 kit (£69.95 assembled) and introduced an entire generation to the joys of computing, fights over the family television and prodigious use of sticky tape. Intended as a successor to the ZX80 (£79.95 as a kit and £99.95 with all the soldering taken care of-ish), the ZX81 …

Page:

1. Little Mouse

Re: REX LIES IN WAIT

I just recited the Clown/Ring-Master's "Roll up, roll up" intro to myself. Verbatim.

It's still stored away up there, unlike much of the French, Shakespeare, etc that I was actually trying to memorise at the time...

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Ah, memories...

The 16KB extension was a PITA because of its frequent disconnections when the computer was accidentally moved, as was the tape recorder way to save and load programs...

Nonetheless, we spent many hours as teenagers with a friend on our ZX-81s learning BASIC first and Assembler programming next, many hours of fun and wonder discovering programming. Not surprisingly, we both became developers in the following years. Thanks ZX-81, you little box enabled us for a reasonable price to discover a new World! I still have you preciously stored in a drawer, next to my beloved ATARI-2600.

1. Ryan Clark

Re: Ah, memories...

My main memory was spending a considerable amount of time typing out the code from a magazine before my brother knocked the desk set up in front of the TV and it reset and I had to start again. Don't actually remember playing games or the code, just the annoyances.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Expect...

...a minor cascade of loving tributes to this brilliant little machine.

Feel free to add mine.

3. Christian Berger Silver badge

I have a ZX80 with the ZX81 upgrade

So I didn't have the "slow mode".

Using tokens to store BASIC code wasn't uncommon back then, as it not only reduced the memory footprint, but also gave you faster BASIC execution.

Such low end home computers also nicely show where the line between a "single purpose" computer and a real universal one lies.

1. Simon Harris Silver badge

Re: I have a ZX80 with the ZX81 upgrade

Using tokens to store keywords was quite common on many computers back then, but the tokens were usually expanded to keywords only when the LIST command was used.

On the ZX80/81 the tokenised keywords were displayed in full even from within a program if you had a line PRINT CHR$( x ) where x corresponded to the value of a keyword token. Using PRINT CHR$( x ) on most computers would normally display a single character or some screen control action such as clear screen or cursor movement.

4. Outer mongolian custard monster from outer space (honest)

I had one, well a couple after accidents with shorts and electrical issues, 1k at first, then the infamous sinclair ram pack. Cured wobbly ram pack crashes by gluing zx81 and rampack solidly to a formica board, end of crashes.

Also decided to get a bit experimental, built my own full size keyboard from a recycled industrial keyboard from the "Computer Junk Shop" in wallasey (magic emporium) which at the time was jammed full of weird stuff and PETS and decomissioned mini's amongst other wonders and learnt about keyboard matrix's etc. Also added a extra chip piggybacked on the char rom, and this meant that the ascii charset got shunted into ram and could be edited for customisable graphics!

Also remember the wonderful "Buzz" organ, which drew bands onto a CRT tv causing it to hum loudly with the abuse. Different keys produced different band frequencies, which caused different tones of hum, voila a organ on a machine with no sound hardware.

For tapes we found a certain brand of small tape deck was perfectly matched, and I still have one today (it was a sharp, I'd have to go dig it out as my zx81 today is a display cabinet thing rather than in actual use, and its original not sprouting hook up wire out of every melted in hole in its casing like my real one was)

Did the writing stuff in z80, then encoding it into hex, then ascii, and storing it as a load of REM statements and jmp into it to run like another poster above. Tedious but fun to learn and do. It was just what you did back in those days wasn't it? I think it was fantastic and I really pity a youngster of today trying to try and understand the innards of a x64 apu based black box system to the same level we were able to read and understand that simple little 8 bitter. I showed my son zx81 basic and helped him write the classic hello world goto 10 3 liner in it on the actual computer and he got it straight away, so still some value in simplicity.

Also have the cushions in my gamesroom with mazogs on them, ascii graphics being perfectly suited to replication in patchwork designs, also in tiling, although the floor has a giant space invader tiled in, as my wife said mazogs would be a bit too obscure if we ever sold the house :D

Nostalgia, still, glad time and performance has moved on, and the original keyboard is still bloody awful even today.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Also remember the wonderful "Buzz" organ, which drew bands onto a CRT tv causing it to hum loudly with the abuse

I remember trying to make music using the 'polyphonic' sound chip on the BBC B. Was very proud of the 'song' I made.

Trouble was, when I came to ask my friend to add a guitar over the top (using his advanced 4-track tape mixer) we discovered that the tones used by the BBC were nothing like correct in pitch.. So, even though the song was supposed to be in C, in actuality it wasn't.

So, of course, I blamed the computer rather than my musical skills. What else are computers for?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Minimalist Electro on the ZX81 (and why programming an x86 isn't)

"Also remember the wonderful "Buzz" organ, which drew bands onto a CRT tv causing it to hum loudly with the abuse. Different keys produced different band frequencies"

I did that too! Found a program in my Dad's old "Sinclair Programs" magazine that- IIRC- toggled between FAST and SLOW modes producing an audible buzzing then experimented myself with delays and other effects (repeatedly sending a COPY to the printer when there was no printer attached also made noise IIRC.)

There might still be a tape of 10-year-old me singing nonsensical- and frankly strange- lyrics alongside the alleged "music" I made this way. It'd probably be hailed as a minimalist Kraftwerk/Numan-influenced electro masterpiece nowadays. (#)

Also, you can- in theory- still program an x86 based computer using assembler, but it's worth remembering that since the Pentium Pro and Pentium II came out, all recent Intel processors (and presumably AMD by now) use a completely different internal microarchitecture and instruction set.

Some have described this instruction set as RISC-like, though others dispute that (##)- regardless, the important part is that it's *not* x86. The x86 instructions are converted on the fly via a decoder into the native format, so even any "native" x86 code you write is still effectively being run under emulation by a completely different architecture anyway!

(#) It wasn't, I preferred ABBA, even though this was 1986 and they, Numan, Kraftwerk and the ZX81 were all passe by this point. I got an Atari 800XL soon after this...

(##) Since this internal instruction set isn't- AFAIK- exposed or available for regular programming use, there's nothing stopping them from completely changing its design to suit themselves anyway; all that has to change is the x86 emulation "API".

5. Nugry Horace

15 SCROLL

Otherwise the program will stop with error 5 when it reaches the bottom of the screen.

6. James Cullingham

Every byte counted

My 'favourite' feature related to the storage of numeric constants that formed part of a line of BASIC. As background, you have to bear in mind that the machine was very storage constrained, but also very performance-constrained, especially when it came to FP arithmetic.

Say, for example, you had a line

10 LET A=1

10, as the line number, was stored in 2 bytes

LET was a keyword, so was stored as a single byte token

A and = obviously took 1 byte each

But then came the numeric constant 1. Due to the performance hit of parsing that into an 5 byte FP representation (1 byte exponent, 4 byte mantissa), this was done as the line was entered, so what actually ended up in memory was the code for the character 1, followed by the marker byte 0x7E, followed by 5 more bytes of data.

Horror! One character took 7 bytes!

It was actually more efficient to write instead

10 LET A=PI/PI

because PI was, again, a single byte tokenised keyword, so now you had 3 bytes instead of 7 - a substantial saving and one that would add up over the length of a full program.

Similarly 3 was INT(PI), and arbitrary constants were, IIRC e.g. INT("12345") (still saving 3 bytes).

You got the performance back by writing every-increasing amounts in machine code (process: write it out, then hand-assemble, then create a hex entry utility, then type in the entire codebase in hex)

And you saved bytes in your machine code by referring to your disassembly of the entire ROM (published as a book - https://k1.spdns.de/Vintage/Sinclair/80/Sinclair%20ZX81/ROMs/zx81%20version%202%20%27improved%27%20rom%20disassembly%20%28Logan,%20O%27Hara%29.html) to see if you could abything from a full routine down to a few bytes here and there.

Happy days!

7. WozNZ

10 PRINT "Hell

arrgh bloody ram pack wobble

10 PRINT "Hell

oh ffs, again. really

Place I cut my first code :)

8. Soul assassin

3d monster maze!!! Scariest game in creation!!! :)

1. Michael Strorm

RUN HE IS BEHIND YOU

9. Hockney

3D Monster Maze

The best computer game ever.

Okay, it was all in your imagination, but it had a maze. And a dinosaur. You ran until you died.

Perfect life lesson

1. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

Re: 3D Monster Maze

Precursor to Wolfenstein and DOOM...

1. deshepherd

... and looks like a sucessor of Minotaur for Acorn Atom - which according to the interwebs is a game wot I wrote. I worked at Acorn in the year before University and I think this was one of the items I ended up as author because I was the last person to work on them. Think on this I took what was an exisitng 3d maze program and added the "move the gold bars to the safe while being chased by the minotaur" bit. Anyway, it appears I may need to add "inventor of the 3D FPS game genre" to my CV!

Have an upvote - I remember playing that one!

Back in those days I reviewed a few Atom games for Computer and Video Games - it's quite likely I reviewed that one.

10. jrd

Nostalgia

First, type in 1 REM followed by 620 zeroes...

--- on a keyboard with no repeat where the screen redraw takes a measurable amount of time and happens after each keypress...

1. Anonymous South African Coward Silver badge

Re: Nostalgia

Why would you want to do that? :)

1. GrumpenKraut Silver badge

> Why would you want to do that? :)

To fill it up with machine code?

1. jrd

Correct. You'd then write a small loader program which would allow you to enter hex machine code into the REM statement. You couldn't safely load machine code directly into memory as this would be cleared automatically when you typed RUN so hiding it in a REM statement was a common trick.

2. ThomH Silver badge

Now do it on a ZX80 where each keypress is followed by a screen bounce as the CRT tries to resynchronise with a video signal that momentarily went missing. The ZX81's constant display is virtually space age!

11. OldPalmFan
    Go

I designed a bridge on my girlfriends' ZX81

I was a Royal Engineer officer and had a task to build a wooden foot-bridge at a National Trust property. The design process was iterative; you guessed some dimensions, ran them through the calculations in the Improvised Bridge Design manual to see if the bridge was strong enough and if not could see what bits needed to be bigger (keeping it simple for you Register types). Perfect for a computer programme, I thought and my girlfriend had 'a computer' a ZX81 complete with wobble-pack. So I wrote a programme that worked through the iterative steps and ended up with a design. Somewhat proud of this I listed the programme in my design report and.......my CO completely po-poohed the idea of using a computer and thought it ridiculous that they could ever be of any use in RE tasks. A visionary he was not. After I left the Army I moved into IT where I've been for the last 25+ years (but not programming, I'm rubbish at it but the bridge was built and didn't fall down!).

12. roger 8

I had the zx81 my mate had a spectrum. Born in 69 was the right time. by the mid 80s when I was in comprehensive school we had Commodore PET and BBC B micro and a little bot with a pen. I think the program was called LOGO. pen up move 10 right 90 pen down move 10. I remember me and a friend drawing out the full map for manic miner on graph paper and sticking it to the wall. it was a big map. I remember my dad coming home from work wtht a parcel and gave it to me. said the IT guy from head office had brought it ( dad worked for Ciba-Geigy at the time.) it was a massive printout of a game. on green and white listing paper. looked like something from nasa. took me ages to type it all in and save it to audio tape

1. dc_m

it's called mslogo now.

The "little bots" are known as turtles, they are still being used. There are variations of basically the same thing.

It would have been a variant of the original valiant roamer. Uses two massive lantern batteries. I know for a fact schools were buying these no more than 8 years ago.

13. Ian 45

Yup my first

With 16K ram pack!

1. salamamba too

Re: Yup my first

My first computer as well, but with a 64k japanese ram pack that negated the warranty of the computer the moment you used it.

Always fun when speccie users boasted about their 48k.

14. fixit_f

My school had a dedicated computer room with about 12 of these, and we’d have lessons where we worked on them in pairs. The teacher would line everyone up outside with no shoes on and then get each pair of kids to creep in and sit down as slowly as possible – any more people moving at a time and there was a good chance the expansion packs would move in several of them and they’d re-set, causing whatever program we were looking at to need to be reloaded from tape.

15. jms222

BBC Basic

At the museum I really enjoy watching people of _all_ ages pick up BBC User Guide or our booklet and start playing. The biggest issue is that BBC Basic is uppercase. "Mistake" doesn't quite convey this.

Ah Ciba-Geigy. I did a contract at a related company Techne in Duxford not that along ago working on Motorola 68HC code continuing my largely 8 bit career that started with the Z80. We used their canteen and would wander onto their site at lunchtime.

Re: BBC Basic

"The biggest issue is that BBC Basic is uppercase"

Back then I think almost all BASIC was upper case - at the beginning of the home-computer explosion it was quite a luxury if your computer could even display lower case.

1. deshepherd

Re: BBC Basic

I suspect upper case may have been a BBC requirement as they wanted it to look like other Basic's of the day.Had it not been for then I think "Acorn Basic" was going to ditch line numbers and use labels which would only be needed for GOTO/GOSUB targets.

2. Christian Berger Silver badge

One has to be fair

Lower case letters were only invented in 765.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolingian_minuscule

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Over 40 and used one of these?

nope. Not a chance. I got burned off of anything with a 'Sinclair' label on it with his Radios. Useless POS. Components were 'engineered' out to reduce cost which had a byproduct of reducing reliability.

As for the Sinclair 'Digital Watch'... sigh.

As I was working for a Computer Manufacturer at the time I had big boys toys to play with at work. 32bit Multi-User Operating Systems and 256Mb Disk drives that could be made to dance over the floor. As a result I never felt the need to get involved with any of this stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Over 40 and used one of these?

Not sure why the down votes for my fellow commentator above, the comment has merit. Having spent the last 5 years researching many of "Uncle Clives" firms and having collected one of each of most of his companies devices, many of them were frankly crap. Sorry. Some were design classics such as the Neoteric or the Forum Phone, but others, while pretty to look at, just didn't work eg, the Black Watch or Stereo 60

Too many people seem to have a very rose tinted view on his work. While he may have brought many technologies into to home or workplace due to "at the time" great prices and a bit of style, many were just not as good as many of the competitors at the time.

anonymously - I don't want to f*** up any chances for my forthcoming book........

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Think it might have been the "I worked in a job where I got access to whizz bang fancy computers, so I'm alright Jack" attitude as well.

"As a result I never felt the need to get involved with any of this stuff."

Yeah, good for him/her being lucky enough to be able to look down their nose at it in the first place. Not everyone- well, let's be blunt, not many people- would have been in jobs where they already had access to all those "big boys toys".

I for one didn't, possibly because I was six years old at the time.

Don't think anyone was under the impression that the ZX81 was the powerful leading edge of even home technology at the time. The Atari 800 (for example) was light years ahead... on the other hand, it would have cost- AFAIK- approaching ten times the price of the ZX81 on the UK market. Which is pretty much the bloody point- most people wouldn't have been able to afford an Atari 800 or Apple II, but the ZX81 was affordable.

The blunt truth is that the ZX81 was the first opportunity many people would have had to play with a computer of their own (or their first experience of a computer full stop). Most of its limitations and idiosyncracies- bad RAM pack design excluded- could be forgiven on this basis, even if it was superseded by better machines fairly quickly. (Not least by Sinclair's own Spectrum, which was far from perfect either, but still the first computer at that price capable of hi-res colour graphics that could passably approximate arcade games; maybe less so in the "sound" department, though...)

2. Andy3

Hmm. I grew up making Sinclair kits and every one of them worked. The little radios (I had a Micromatic) worked fine and My stereo record player used two Z30's and a Stereo 60 pre-amp unit. All fine and lasted years. We even made an amplifier for our mobile disco using two Z50's and a PZ8. This may sound like a recipe for disgruntled dancers, but it only ever went off once - and it came back perfectly after a reset. I honestly think many of the complaints about Sinclair stuff come from people who built it badly.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

I got burned off of anything with a 'Sinclair' label on it with his Radios. Useless POS.

Not everything. My original Sinclair Scientific still works, RPN logic & all!

1. Andy3

And I still have my (working) Cambridge calculator which I bought in 1974 (I think).

3. Alister Silver badge

I bought the Zylog Z80 Programming Manual, with MY OWN money, on the strength of having a ZX81, and taught myself assembler.

Unfortunately, when I started college 6 months later, all the Computing courses were done on Rockwell AIM65 machines, so I had to start again...

17. MikeCorris

My friend had a ZX81 for his birthday. I remember we used to lie on the floor in front of the telly laboriously typing as previously mentioned. When the 16K RAM pack came out we couldn’t imagaine anyone needing 16K! Eventually he got one of course and ram pack wobble became our nemesis. I got a 16K Spectrum some time later. After having that for a while it got sent away too have the 48k upgrade for my birthday. It arrived before my birthday but I was told not to play any 48K games until my birthday! Can’t believe it looking back but my mate got me a copy of manic miner and we used to play it secretly when my dad wasn’t there! Those were the days...

18. AS1
    Pint

No wobbling here

Never had a problem with RAM pack wobble; maybe I received the only Sinclair pack with a good connector, or maybe because I plugged in the pack once, and never removed it. It even survived being dropped a couple of inches while running a Nightfall clone at the local CUG held in a function room over the local (see icon, for the parents of course).

I miss the manual; everything nowadays is so poorly documented and seems to rely on users helping one another. Cheap but inefficient.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, the memories. Excuse me while I find the bleach...

My first computer, and the reason I learned Z80 machine code (lddr made for some interesting scrolling games...). Made my own joystick, attempted to make my own RAM pack...

Also the gateway to a long career in IT. Very few regrets.

20. DJO Silver badge

Pre-history

Then as a reader of Wireless World I thought the ZX series was for kiddies so when WW published a design (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSI_Comp_80) I saved up my pennies and built one, oh the fun of soldering 5k of 1 kilobit chips (with parity) that's 45 x 20 pin chips and then actually getting the bugger to work was a great source of joy (for "joy" read "frustration").

But once it did work it was an interesting machine boasting a calculator chip as a "maths co-processor" which allowed far more complex programs and a novel version of BASIC using reverse polish notation which had the great advantage of confusing the hell out of almost everybody who saw it.

Learned a lot about computer hardware and how to do terse programming, a skill that seems to have been lost now as memory and storage are cheap and abundant.

21. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Facepalm

I had a ZX80

because it got discounted when the ZX81 came out

I spent hours typing games into it and never getting them to load from tape successfully after.

I bought an ICL OPD when I was in college (spectrum with knobs on).

Never follow my example when buying any technology.

1. Lotaresco

Re: I had a ZX80

"I bought an ICL OPD when I was in college (spectrum with knobs on)."

Errm the OPD was a Sinclair QL with a built-in telephone handset. The similar device that was a Spectrum with knobs on was the Amstrad emailer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IIRC the Amstrad Emailer had nostalgia-exploiting Spectrum games available- presumably via emulation- but I don't think the machine itself was a "Spectrum with knobs on" either.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

I think maybe the SAM Coupé might qualify as a "Spectrum with knobs on", failing that, the TS 2068?

1. ThomH Silver badge

The SAM Coupé is a "Spectrum with Prince of Persia on (and not much else)", and I loved mine dearly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Both ZX80 and OPD worth a fair bit if you kept them, so maybe not such bad choices.

I bought a Jupiter Ace. Look how much they are worth now.

I continue to regret binning mine when I couldn't after all get on with Forth

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019