back to article Morrisons launches bizarre Yorkshire Pudding pizza thing

Brit supermarket chain Morrisons has sacked 1,500 middle managers – but fear not, they’ve also vomited out an unholy creation that is part pizza, part Yorkshire pudding. The 6½” thing is made by filling an oversized Yorkie Pud with tomato sauce, cheese and typical pizza toppings. A photo of this strangely alluring monstrosity …

Improvements

Beer based batter, then deep fried....

Silver badge

Re: Improvements

All the improvements in the world would just take a calamity and turn it into a disaster.

I don't like pizza much, so I'm inclined to suggest the best thing to do with this monstrosity is add it to the cargo in a sun targeted rocket.

I am quite partial to one of those giant yorkshire puds filled with stew, though.

Silver badge

Re: Improvements

I was thinking cut it into several slices that would fit into the Insinkerator. I suspect that even the hogs would turn their snouts up at it.

Silver badge

They have made their faltering steps at fusing different cuisines, but have not gone far enough.

Brits like puds, pizzas but what about an "Indian"*, "Chinese", "Thai" etc.

So it would need a few other elements added:

As extras add some vindaloo curry (or maybe the UK fave chicken tikka masala), Thai green curry and sweet and sour sauce

Though ideally they should incorporate a few other ingredients into the pud stage before cooking it - so they are nicely integrated- adding some carbohydrate / stodge rich features of other cuisines (as sold in UK) such as samosas, pakuras, spring rolls, prawn toasts, bread sticks etc.

By then, you are assembling a true Frankenstein food of carby greasy stodge base and a perfect storm of topping

Bronze badge

To Paraphrase Zaphod Beeblebrox

"Put your gastroenterologist on danger money, baby!"

Drippings pizza? You better believe I'd eat it! I'll put my cardiologist on danger money.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

Re: To Paraphrase Zaphod Beeblebrox

We went on a trip to Cyprus and found a 'Chindian' restaurant. You can mix'n'match. Sweet and sour chicken tikka balls, etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8535765,32.3756954,3a,75y,242.9h,98.72t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipPM945rd1YaFxjAF4ONbEEBXNMm5eMkedgi7yjU!2e10!3e11!7i5376!8i2688

Silver badge

Re: To Paraphrase Zaphod Beeblebrox

@Symon:

....ound a 'Chindian' restaurant. Typically referred to hereabouts as Hakka. Although all the fusions I've found have been Sezchwan and Indian, tend to the spicy end of the spectra.

Silver badge
Coat

This-

Would make an excellent hat, particularly with gravys...

And then you may eat it.

heeeeeheeeeeheeeeee!!

Where's the straps on me coat??!?!

Bronze badge

1. Scoop out all that tomato crap.

2. Deep fry.

3. Add beef gravy.

4. Add beef (for the vegetarian version skip this last step).

5. A bacon topping is optional.

5. Enjoy!

Silver badge
Headmaster

@splod - your on the right track but ...

... throw out all the crap, fill base with Lincolnshire sausage meat, bake until crispy brown on top and serve with HP Sauce. A fried egg on top is optional.

Silver badge
Angel

Memorial

I would eat it in loving memory of the dearly departed and much missed Lester of course.

In a salute to some of the post-pub nosh he introduced us to over the years...

Silver badge

Regarding the poll

I would suggest a fifth option "All of the above" to allow for those of us whose feelings are best described as a superposition of curiosity/disgust/attraction/revulsion

We need a Schrödinger's cat icon, methinks

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Regarding the poll

We both do and don't need a Schrödinger's cat icon.

Silver badge

We both do and don't need a Schrödinger's cat icon.

That deserves so many upvotes my head has started to spin at the thought of them all.

Bronze badge
Boffin

"We both do and don't need a Schrodinger's cat icon."

We both do and don't have a Schrodinger's cat icon.

Problem solved! :)

Silver badge
Devil

Serve it with kæstur hákarl and durian to make a truly cosmopolitan dish.

Silver badge
Trollface

Cosmopolitan or Klingon?

De-lish! :D

All my homemade pizzas look like this :D

Anonymous Coward

Will it blend?

If so, then I'd eat it with a straw.

Son-Of-Toad-In-The-Hole

OMG... that looks to-die-for!!

That would be supper I weren't in stuck Belgium gagging down moules-frites and Grimbergen beer.

Is the recipe on-line...???

Gold badge

Re: Son-Of-Toad-In-The-Hole

If you're in Belgium, stuff the boring moules-frites. Have at the lovely lamb, with dauphinoise potatoes (yummy!) and nice red wine. Then some sort of chocolatey monstrosity for pudding. Only once fortified with that lot, do you then approach the serious business of necking some beer.

Ah, nostalgia...

Save them up and throw them at donald trump when he comes for a visit

What would Geoffrey Boycott say?

Silver badge

My grandad, who was about Boycott's age and from Yorkshire would have said "I'm not eating any of that foreign muck".

Silver badge
Pint

The place I used to work at had a pretty good subsidised canteen for lunch. The new chef started offering more exotic dishes. Someone complained that they should stop serving up that foreign muck, and serve proper English dishes. Like lasagne.

Silver badge

I was joking about pizza being foreign muck, but he did used to say it about other foreign foods.

My family used to get together on bonfire night every year and my mum would always make a bit pot of chilli. He refused to eat it and brought his own food with him - pizza if I remember correctly.

Silver badge
Happy

My favourite pizza story was when Sophia Loren was on Graham Norton's chat show. They made a call to a bloke in Italy who was flogging 'Sophia Loren pizza'. Turns out it was called that because it had a lot on top.

https://www.theplace2.ru/archive/sophia_loren/img/tumblr_nejmi056wz1s2xmjxo1_1280.jpg

Needs more toppings

Add black pudding, lard and tripe to the toppings.

Serve with a pint of Old Peculier

Silver badge

Re: Needs more toppings

Black pudding on pizza? That's a bloody brilliant idea.

Silver badge

Re: Needs more toppings

It is bloody brilliant. First crank your wood-fired oven up to 900F (480C, near enough). Toss skin to 1/8 inch (a hair over 3mm) and put on peel. Place very thin slices of proper tomatoes on pie, Add slices of garlic and serrano/jalapeno, to taste. Place slices of black pudding as you see fit. Slide into oven for 45 seconds, then spin it and another 45 seconds. Pull out, crack a couple eggs on top, and back into the oven to "dome" it until the egg whites are just set (about 6 or 7 seconds). Remove, sprinkle with herbs of choice out of the garden. Slice and eat immediately. I like a good IPA to wash it down, Lagunitas Maximus is ideal for this.

You need the heat of the wood oven to put a bit of a crisp on the black pudding. Don't try this with a standard oven, it'll turn into a gloppy mess with uncooked BP.

Go

The Universal Food

The Yorkshire Pudding can form the basis of any course, for Sunday dinner* my grandmother would usually bake two, one to be consumed with the roast beef, the second with sugar as a dessert.

Baffled by the several correspondents suggesting dipping in batter. Yorkshire puddings are made of batter , carefully baked!

* Sunday dinner, for the benefit of Southern Jessies and other Off-comed'uns, is a meal served in the middle of the day.

Silver badge

Re: The Universal Food

one to be consumed with the roast beef, the second with sugar as a dessert.

Yorkshire pudding with Golden Syrup is a delicacy I well remember from childhood.

Silver badge

My grandmother added raisins to the batter, then served with onion gravy as a starter before the meat course.

Silver badge

"The Yorkshire Pudding can form the basis of any course, for Sunday dinner...Yorkshire puddings are made of batter"

Absolutely. If it can be served deep fried in batter, then it can be served in a Yorkshire Pudding[1]. The upside, of course, is that even stuff that can't be deep fried can also be served in Yorkshire Pudding.

[1] NB for Southern Jessies. No, I DO NOT mean Aunt Bessies or any other pre-made frozen cardboard masquerading as Yorkshire Pudding.

Silver badge

Golden Syrup? Heathen! Honey is the only way to go ...

Silver badge

" Sunday dinner, for the benefit of Southern Jessies and other Off-comed'uns, is a meal served in the middle of the day."

True when you are still living with your parents or subsequently have kids of your own.

But there's a period in between where you never sit down to Sunday Dinner before at least a couple of beers in the pub.

Silver badge

"one to be consumed with the roast beef"

With the roast beef? With?

She must have been a comer-in. You eat it before the roast beef (other roasts are available).

Silver badge

"My grandmother added raisins to the batter"

That's a novelty.

I wonder...

Silver badge

"Honey is the only way to go"

There are many paths to enlightenment.

Silver badge

"My grandmother added raisins to the batter"

She told you they were raisins, and I suggest you keep on believing that.

Mice in the pantry are an occupational hazard of living in rural areas...

Silver badge
Linux

To be fair, Wakefield was rarely considered rural...

Though during WW2, my mother was exported as a child to the distinctly rural area of Goathland in North Yorkshire. There she learnt the delightful technique of catching pheasants using the raisins that had previously been used to make wine. A trail of them led from the yard into the farmhouse kitchen, and the pheasant would follow them in... to its surprise ending.

---> we don't have a pheasant icon.

A. With. Traditions vary and Yorkshire is a big country. Sorry, county.

B. How dare you sir! Dentdale born and bred.

To be served with chips & curry sauce obv.

Based on my limited number of trips north - fill with chips, pour on curry sauce. Sorted.

Silver badge

Re: To be served with chips & curry sauce obv.

Gravy. Good thick gravy you can slice with a knife.

Silver badge
Pint

Half-half of chips and rice to make it sheer perfection - the joy of chips plus the absorbency of the rice to stop the curry sauce going everywhere.

Hmm, dinner plans a-brewing...

Silver badge

@ disgustedoftunbridgewells: Good thick gravy you can slice with a knife.

Reminds me of a line from Tony Hancock... I thought my mother's cooking was bad, but at least her gravy used to move about.

Talking of a limited number of trips up north... In honour of Peter Mandelson's infamous visit to a Hartlepool chippy, serve with guacamole and tell anyone who asks that it's the done thing up north.

Silver badge
Megaphone

IT AINT GRAVY UNLESS YOU CAN SLICE IT WITH A KNIFE,

GOOD GRAVY ONLY HAS ONE LUMP.

Nothing good will come of this...

In a Morrison's store caff:

1. Buy one

2. Take it to your table

3. Look at it in wonderment

4. Realise what you're looking at

5. Take it back

Silver badge
Thumb Up

That looks gorgeous. Would be better if the lip around the top was deeper though to help prolong the gravy soaking. Yummy.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018