back to article Are you taking the peacock? United Airlines deny flight to 'emotional support' bird

An artist was left spitting feathers after United Airlines told her she couldn't board a plane with her "emotional support" peacock. In a video published by travel site JetSet, the woman is seen wheeling her case across the departures hall in Newark airport, New Jersey, with the large bird perched atop her shoulder, as …

Silver badge

Charlie Brown's Linus had a security blanket. I'm sure the airline would be willing to supply one if you asked nicely. Ok, maybe they'll charge you a few bucks.

Silver badge

narcissistic self-promoters have been around since long before the internet. It just gives them a bigger audience.

Re: Marketing opportunity?

Couldn't you just get one of those from Build A Bear Workshop or something? I'm pretty sure you can choose what sound you want to put into one while buying a bear from there.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: Marketing opportunity?

now you made me think of the tail end of Muse's "Uprising" video...

Silver badge

Teddy bears:

People aren't allergic to them either.

Anonymous Coward

Re: People

Trouble is, most of the time, the anxiety comes from a lack of feedback. Only a live animal can react to an owner's ministrations, thus why some people can't cope with security blankets and teddy bears.

Silver badge

That settles it, I'm getting an emotional support elephant.

So wherever I go, nobody can address the elephant in the room without hurting my feelings...

Flame

Be careful with the phrase 'emotional support bird' - I just got a right telling off!

Bronze badge

cooked

I suppose United Airlines cooked her goose.

I will get my comfort coat

Mushroom

My stock comment now

Why do stories like this have me hear Duelling Banjos in my head?

Silver badge

Re: My stock comment now

You've witnessed someone with a bit of pluck?

Anonymous Coward

Re: My stock comment now

"You've witnessed someone with a bit of pluck?"

Useful for removing the feathers.

Happy

Dam airline cigar tubes are turning into an animal menageirie.

Silver badge
Devil

"Dam airline cigar tubes are turning into an animal menageirie."

well, a certain segment of globalists want 1st world countries to be reduced to the same level of mediocrity as 3rd world countries, so let's just put a few chicken crates and free-running pigs in the people compartment on every flight...

Anonymous Coward

"[...] and free-running pigs in the people compartment on every flight..."

The TSA do that already.

Silver badge
Gimp

What about my emotional support chainsaw?

25th Jul 2008, 01:07

From Private Eye's 'Funny Old World' this issue:

"Sir, My brother-in-law recently went through security at Auckland domestic airport, and witnessed a passenger having to fish out her nail scissors from her handbag and leave them behind. He passed through security, then boarded his plane.

After being seated, he realised that he could smell petrol. He knew that you shouldn't be able to smell petrol on a plane, because planes don't use petrol. The smell got worse, and eventually he attracted the attention of one of the flight attendants, who started to look around to see where it was coming from. After a short search of the overhead compartments, the attendant found a chainsaw in a bag that was leaking petrol into the compartment.

The plane was delayed while the owner was identified, and the chainsaw was removed and put with the main luggage. The owner of the chainsaw said security had stopped him and asked him about it, but had let him through because it wasn't one of the things on their list to confiscate. (Letter to New Zealand Herald, 12/05/08. Spotter: Dominic Casciani)"

Re: What about my emotional support chainsaw?

Back in 2005 I spent a few months in South America, and after thinking hard about gifts to take back for my brothers I opted for a machete each. I got back to Blighty on the day of the Tube bombing. A couple of weeks later, while the country was still on high alert, we had a family gathering, and I arranged to meet one of my brothers on an afternoon train from Victoria and travel down together. We were chatting on the train, and he told me that that very morning he had been randomly searched by the police while going into a Tube station, and had received a telling off for carrying a small penknife. But apparently they only operated searches until midday, so I had carried two 18-inch machetes in my rucksack across London without passing through any (visible) checkpoint.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

From her mouth to God's ear

I understand the point she was trying to make.

To be clear, we're not talking about a "service animal." We're talking about a pet. An "emotional support" animal is one where the owner has not even bothered to buy a counterfeit "service animal" vest from E-Bay.

These are the terrified dogs in the supermarket with their tails between their legs. These are the Shih-Tzus in purses in restaurants. They're frigging everywhere. And they don't want to be. Their owners are torturing them in the name of "emotional support."

It's disgusting, and the people doing it shouldn't be allowed to own animals.

Silver badge

Re: From her mouth to God's ear

Maybe the name is wrongly applied? I'm an "emotional support human" for our Yorkie.

Silver badge

Came along to post the same about our cat.

Emotional suport animal describes my role perfectly.

So could I fly with her as long as I am properly documented by her therapist?

Gold badge

How do you get a hi-vis vest on a peackock? Particularly without getting your eyes pecked out?

Asking for a friend...

Silver badge

Re: hi-vis vest on a peackock

Very carefully.

Anonymous Coward

"It's disgusting, and the people doing it shouldn't be allowed to own animals."

Well, which would you rather have? A terrified pet or an emotionally unstable human that flies off the handle?

Silver badge
Go

This bodes ill...

For my upcoming attempt to fly from San Francisco to JFK with my self-esteem tiger along for the ride.

(I guess I'll have to sue the airlines for diminishing my self-image.)

Anonymous Coward

What about a emotional support hooker ? I'm trying to convince the wife.

Silver badge

Peacocks explained.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmcFVJjeLyxQfFBuos3ZZeBs5d6jfquDB7rRyZ52uWxRUD/7/06/peacock.jpg

Yep, that's pretty much all there is to them. They don't do emotional bonding. You might get loyalty from one if you get it to recognise you as a food source.

ElReg Editor

Was n't there a rumour that a former Editor of the Register had a Comfort Vulture?

Silver badge

My preferred emotional support animal

(I know I cannot be the first to say this)

My preferred emotional support animal, when getting on a plane, is a really experienced, well trained, well paid, securely employed and happy, sober pilot.

Having Percy the Piglet Pal in the carry-on just doesn't inspire the same level of confidence.

Rather cruel to the peacock IMHO. Bad enough for a human to fly United.

Silver badge

Peacocks taste nice roasted

Silver badge

Wonder

if they'd let me on with my "emotional support anthrax spores".

Animal for emotional support? Don't they mean *this* animal ... http://muppets.disney.com/animal ?

Silver badge
Pint

Eeenie Meenie Minnie Moe...

"...customers are allowed to bring emotional-support animals onboard, but must 'provide documentation from a medical professional and at least 48 hours advance notice'."

Shall I bring my Emotional-Support Rhinoceros or my Emotional-Support Hippopotamus ?

Silver badge

Re: Eeenie Meenie Minnie Moe...

Do you have a proper letter from your licensed therapist specifying the need specifically for those animals?

Silver badge

Odd.

If anything should be allowed to fly at all, one would have though it would be a bird.

Silver badge
Linux

Gavin the Cassowary

Will be very disappointed!

Cassowary

Anonymous Coward

As a bird

It should have plenty of frequent flyer points.

Anonymous Coward

Aaah, she's a conceptual artist...

So what we've got here is basically 'White Trash Curry Kick' updated for the Millennials.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018