back to article Memo man Damore is back – with lawyers: Now Google sued for 'punishing' white men

James Damore, the software engineer fired from Google after ironically firing off a neurotic memo about "neurotic" women, has launched a class-action lawsuit in the US against his former employer. The sueball was lobbed into the Superior Court of California in Santa Clara on Monday by Damore and fellow former Googler David …

Page:

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Funny how...

What does SJWing even mean?

It means that the person who used it can't compete on an intellectual basis with those he/she/it denigrates and so chooses to label them en-masse instead..

IMHO of course.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What does SJWing even mean?

Rule of 'Likes', Trial by Twatter, exile to Goolag.

When the courts reject your fucktard ideals, you go to war. Social media witch hunts, New McCarthyism, online censorship, "Anti"-Fascist riots. JUSTICE!!!1!!

3. rh587

Social Justice Warrior

1. See Rachel Dolezal

She was president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) chapter in Spokane, Washington, from 2014 until June 15, 2015, when she resigned after it was revealed that she had lied about being African American,

In June 2015, Dolezal came to media attention when her European American parents stated publicly that Dolezal was a white woman passing as black.

Dolezal and her defenders contend her racial identity is genuine while not based on biology or ancestry. In a November 2015 television interview, Dolezal publicly stated for the first time since the controversy began that she was born white but still identified as black.

The mind boggles. I thought "blacking up" was considered offensive these days...

1. Tigra 07 Silver badge
          Pint

She's pushing the claim that she is Transracial. That you can identify as a different ethnicity than the one you actually are.

So, next time you'd like a job but they're not hiring anyone but minorities you just tell them you're transracial, and identify as (INSERT NEW ETHNICITY HERE)

1. fajensen Silver badge
            Pint

She's pushing the claim that she is Transracial. That you can identify as a different ethnicity than the one you actually are.

.... And the rantings of this particular brand of lunacy only seem to matter and only gets reported because too many people spend too much time on "social media" immersed in a torrent of globalised stupidity rather than going to the pub and rant & rave impotently like a normal, healthy, person does.

Sometimes, more and more often, I think the internet will turn out to be the worst invention ever!

1. hplasm Silver badge
      Trollface

Sounds like something an 'SJW' would say...

2. Tigra 07 Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Social Justice Warrior...You know...Those hippies who take gender studies instead of real qualifications, end up unemployable and spend every waking hour protesting something.

Irony alert: They're usually white and complaining how white people are evil and privileged for daring to be white. Their agenda sees a white homeless person as more privileged in society than a rich person of a different skin colour.

See Lily Allen and JK Rowling for more info: Privileged, rich, live in fancy mansions in posh areas. Always complaining about immigration and issues we should pay for, but not them personally. That we should take all refugees that ask, as long as they don't have to live near them.

1. Mooseman Bronze badge

"See Lily Allen and JK Rowling for more info: Privileged, rich, live in fancy mansions in posh areas. Always complaining about immigration and issues we should pay for, but not them personally. That we should take all refugees that ask, as long as they don't have to live near them"

Been reading the Daily Mail too much?

1. David Nash Silver badge
          Joke

How much is too much Daily Mail? One page? One story?

1. mattje

One hateful idea

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Social Justice Warrior

I have difficulties understanding the position of all those activists proclaiming group A is better than group B. Especially when they have to convince group B to admit its own inferiority by paying the bill for group A. And somehow their propaganda is not about pulling the inferior up to the same level of superiority but about bring the superior to some universal inferiority.

3. Davidmb

You're trying too hard

When the trolling starts to sound strained I have to downvote.

However, I do like the mocking of the view that there's an "elite" that are simultaneously unemployable layabouts while also starting all the most successful companies and running the media.

The only bit you missed was the shadowy group who somehow co-ordinate the billionaires, hippies, dole scrounging single mums, actors, pop stars, refugees and muslims.

4. ratfox Silver badge
        Trollface

Those hippies who take gender studies instead of real qualifications, end up unemployable...

...and work for Google.

Like the Schrödinger immigrants who never work and take our jobs.

5. spacecadet66

Nice, nice. Stick some old clothes on that strawman and stick it in the field, that'll keep the birds away.

6. tiggity Silver badge

@ Tigra 07

"See Lily Allen and JK Rowling for more info: Privileged, rich, live in fancy mansions in posh areas"

Maybe you missed Rowling beiung single mum, skint, writing first HP book on benefits?

She may be rich now but she knows all about being poor... That's why she is one of the few ultra wealthy UK people to pay a fair amount of tax instead of using dubious accountancy tax "avoidance" tricks so beloved by most super rich.

(disclosure: Not a fan of HP works, nor of much of Rowling's views e.g. her anti Scottish devolution stance but she is a classic "rags to riches" person)

1. Tigra 07 Silver badge
          Thumb Down

She's just demolished the house next door while we have a housing shortage so that she can extend her garden.

She has 18 rooms in her house and could take in many homeless or refugees.

She is a billionaire after all

7. anothercynic Silver badge

@Tigra 07, stop reading the Daily Heil and The Scum.

JK Rowling was anything *but* rich. She came from *nothing*. You seem to forget that. So JK Rowling has *every* right and reason to be a social justice warrior because she has seen both sides of the coin and *knows* how crap 'the other side' is. And you bitching on about how she demolished a house next door to extend her garden sounds more like bitter envy than your purported claim to be concerned about the housing shortage.

Lily Allen... I can't speak for her.

1. inmypjs Silver badge

"JK Rowling was anything *but* rich"

Her greatest achievement was writing a popular series of children's fantasy books.

She knows FA about anything and her opinions should be valued as such. Having a bazzilion twatter followers doesn't make you smart or right.

2. Tigra 07 Silver badge
          Thumb Down

Re: anothercynic

I'm not bothered where she came from. I'm bothered by millionaire/billionaire socialites in posh all white neighbourhoods (that have never taken a single refugee i'll bet) lecturing us to take in more refugees, keep the uncontrolled immigration flowing, and that everyone should pay for this.

Lead by example.

PS: And you need to learn the difference between bitching and hypocracy when talking of a billionaire demolishing needed housing, living in a huge empty house that lectures us constantly to take in more people we don't have housing for.

3. Jeremy Bonington-Jagworth

No, she's white colonialist.

She should check her privilege!

3. ForthIsNotDead Silver badge

"Funny how... one of the shittiest, privacy violating, evil companies in the world has so many staff running around SJWing."

Have an up-vote!

1. Ole Juul Silver badge

and not based on their individual merits?

"Damore, who has remained unemployed since leaving Google . . . "

You'd think he'd be able to find a job based on his "merits".

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Coat

Re: and not based on their individual merits?

You'd think he'd be able to find a job based on his "merits"

well, not having seen the guy's resume, who knows. I'd suggest that he leave silly valley and go to Texas. Silly Valley has probably labeled him "troublemaker", and there's no casting couch big/wide enough for him to get his 'favor' back. OK that last part was kinda, bad. coat, please.

1. Jason Hindle

Texas....

You think the Texas tech sector is significantly less liberal than Silicon Valley? Perhaps outside of the major urban centres. Guns are often allowed though.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DougS Silver badge

@Symon - Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Just saw in the news today he's planning to run for Senate to fill the seat Jeff Flake is vacating. So now there are two Trumpsters and one mainstream republican vying for the republican nomination.

I'm sure the democrats they get to run against Arpaio, it would be like Roy Moore all over again, but in a state much less red so it would be an easy victory unless they nominate a bigger crook than Sheriff Joe.

2. RyokuMas Silver badge
        Joke

Woah, someone tell Bob his account has been hacked - not a single SHOUTY, a dead give-away!

2. DougS Silver badge

Suing his previous employer is not going to help him find future employment, whether that employer is of a more liberal or conservative bent. One thing employers of all political persuasions can agree on is they don't want employees who will sue them - and there is no anti-discrimination law preventing employers from googling a potential employee and tossing his/her resume in the trash if they have previously sued their former employer and made the news even in the UK while doing so.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

"Suing his previous employer is not going to help him find future employment, "

Which is pretty much the argument Harvey Weinstein used.

2. h4rm0ny

Are you always against former employees suing for wrongful dismissal? Or just in Damore's case?

3. h4rm0ny

>>You'd think he'd be able to find a job based on his "merits".

Really? Any company that hires him will be set upon by online hate campaigns. You know this is the case. So why snarkily suggest he's unemployed because he lacks skills.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You'd think he'd be able to find a job based on his "merits".

Given his newfound notoriety, what he's doing is the highest and best use of his time. It should be financially rewarding for him and beneficial to the public at large.

2. Oh Homer Silver badge
    Headmaster

Punishing discrimination is not discrimination

In the same way that executing a murderer is not itself somehow equivocal to murder, because the violator forfeits any further right to consideration of the principle he violated.

1. deive

Re: Punishing discrimination is not discrimination

It kinda is murder still, that's why the civilised world doesn't have capital punishment.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Yeah, that example sucks, but the argument is valid. The only thing I try to discriminate against is discrimination. Is that wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

well, if it's discriminating discrimination .....

Sir Humphrey

2. h4rm0ny

No. But it assumes he was being discriminatory and having read both his memo and substantial parts of this court filing, I don't think he was and has in fact been the real victim of discrimination. He was unquestionably fired for his views, not any action. And his views were not discriminatory. He was very clearly advocating a merit-based approach rather than race / sexuality approach that Google demonstrably is using.

1. Oh Homer Silver badge
            Headmaster

Re: "his views were not discriminatory"

You need to take another look at his rant:

"The manifesto claimed women were more prone to "neuroticism" than men, and essentially tried to make the case that girls just typically don't make good engineers."

Not only is that clearly discriminatory, it's also crass hypocrisy, given the supposed purpose of his little invective.

2. Tigra 07 Silver badge
      Pint

Always a funny argument that the state should kill people who kill people to teach people that killing people is bad...

1. Tigra 07 Silver badge

There's a bit of irony that those at Her Majesty's Pleasure have been known to rape the rapists.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge

@Tigra: I'm more inclined to believe that the state kills people to stop them from killing someone else, rather than as an object lesson in morality.

1. Tigra 07 Silver badge

Locking them up does the same. And there's solitary confinement and secure wings for the really dangerous crims. Either the state kills them as a punishment, or it's to save money on housing them for decades.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh the misleading...

Article Words: "The missive claimed women were more prone to "neuroticism" than men, and essentially tried to make the case that girls typically don't make good engineers."

Actual Words: "Neuroticism (higher anxiety, lower stress tolerance).This may contribute to the higher levels of anxiety women report on Googlegeist and to the lower number of women in high stress jobs." and "...differences in part explain why women relatively prefer jobs in social or artistic areas. More men may like coding because it requires systemizing and even within SWEs, comparatively more women work on front end, which deals with both people and aesthetics."

At most, it meant they are better as 'front end' type engineers, not "girls typically don't make good engineers".

Actually, it didn't even state what makes a "good engineer" (heck being good at coding doesn't make me a good engineer. It makes me a good programmer. /joke)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh the misleading...

Absolutely. He didn't say what he is being universally reported as saying. People need to read his article.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

I have tried reporting factual mistakes to the newspapers but they're not interested. The press, Reg included, seems to have its own agenda.

Maybe that's why they are all so anti-Leveson.

2. Indolent Wretch

Balls. He articles basically sums up to "They aren't as good as me at what I do because I have a penis and they don't, silly ******* women! I'd be running this company if I was a gay, disabled, black, muslim furry". The fact that he wrapped it up in so much prosaic verbiage just shows he knew what he was saying was bigoted.

1. DavCrav Silver badge

"The fact that he wrapped it up in so much prosaic verbiage just shows he knew what he was saying was bigoted."

So, in your opinion, someone who writes 'statistically speaking, males under the age of 40 make up a disproportionate number of the offenders for violent crimes such as murder, with the subset of black males again being disproportionately represented' really means 'men are murdering bastards, black men especially so' but they don't have the balls to say it? Maybe nuance is there because things are nuanced.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Nuances? Statistics? What nuances?

Statistically speaking, disproportionate number of male offenders are imprisoned for rape, and the cases of female rapists are statistically ignorable.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If the article linked by AC is the original text published then there must be either something else going on we don't know about or Google really are a bunch of hpersensitive idiots who probably are guilty of what is being suggested. The article states that women - 'on average' - and men are different so there should be different expectations about the types of jobs they might prefer so full gender diversity may not be obtainable. No where do I see (in my quick scan) any calls for women to be treated less preferentially than men, for women to be paid less for the same job or even the suggestion that women cannot do the job as well as men (please correct me if I've missed the relevant part in my scan through- need to rush out to work). I wonder if this was just an excuse by Google to offload someone with 'personality issues'.

1. This post has been deleted by a moderator

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019