back to article Uber: Hackers stole 57m passengers, drivers' info. We also bribed the thieves $100k to STFU

Uber's CEO Dara Khosrowshahi today revealed hackers broke into the ride-hailing app's databases and stole personal information on 57 million passengers and drivers – information including names, email addresses, and phone numbers. And the cyber-thieves made off with 600,000 US driver records that included their license numbers …

Tigra 07
Silver badge
Mushroom

As a regular Uber user...

Fine the bastards. Fine them high, then fine them some more. Make it really hurt. Oblitterate their finances. Fine them so badly they're still suffering in a few years from now.

The BBC is talking about a £10 million fine. No. Fine them a few Billion. They knew what was happening was wrong and still paid a ransom and covered it up.

Make the fine so high that I have to use regular rip-off taxis again.

JohnFen
Silver badge

Re: As a regular Uber user...

"Fine the bastards."

That's not enough. I think the only really appropriate thing to do is revoke their corporate charter. Or, failing that, revoke their licenses to operate.

Tigra 07
Silver badge

Without their license they just appeal and continue working while appeals are going through (Like now in London)

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Then make it so the injunction is in effect during the appeals process.

sjsmoto

I want any business claiming they've improved their data security and it won't happen again to store the personal bank account information for their board members and managers in this newly secured database as a way of showing their own trust in it.

s. pam
FAIL

More validation Uber are scum

Never used them, now damn sure never will.

Rotten to the crankshaft of their engine, and clearly deluded by inhaling exhaust gasses.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: More validation Uber are scum

So question: If you're stranded somewhere under adverse conditions (bad weather, long distance), you can't raise anyone, and you can't afford a cab to get home, how do you get home?

2Nick3
Bronze badge

Some wonderful quotes there.

“I had the same question, so I immediately asked for a thorough investigation of what happened and how we handled it.”

Or mis-handled it, if you want to be more precise.

“While I can’t erase the past, I can commit on behalf of every Uber employee that we will learn from our mistakes.”

So there is lots of learning going on at Uber, I guess.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

So... another hacker has all of our info...

After equifax.. pretty sure all of the US consumer bases info is pretty much public domain.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

secure the data

"we took immediate steps to secure the data"

If someone outside your company has taken a copy of your data, then there is absolutely nothing you can possibly do any more to secure the data. Regardless of how secure you make your own copy, the other party still has theirs which they can distribute on the dark web at will.

Sven Coenye
Coat

Inquiring minds...

Did those two have a hack license?

(Cuz Uber sure doesn't...)

unwarranted triumphalism
Bronze badge

Our parents told us not to get into vehicles with strangers

Maybe parents should now be telling children not to give away their data to strangers.

hatti

Word salad.

While I can’t erase the past, I can commit on behalf of every Uber employee that we will learn from our mistakes. We are changing the way we do business, putting integrity at the core of every decision we make and working hard to earn the trust of our customers.

The usual and predictable get out of jail free company word salad. If Uber are putting integrity at the core of every decision, how come they refused to pay for drivers English tests because they considered them too difficult, what happened to the integrity that day.

lifetime security

Changing a company culture is not easy

The general consensus is that it takes anywhere from 2-3 years to change a company culture. That is when the company is operating ethically but has some challenges. However, an unethical and immoral company requires many more changes. Uber will keep on disclosing many more violations. By not disclosing the breaches to the customers and drivers, Uber violated California law. There is no excuse.

Phage

I've been advising all my family against Uber for exactly their reaction to being hacked since 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32900600

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018