back to article Sysadmin tells user CSI-style password guessing never w– wait WTF?! It's 'PASSWORD1'!

Can you feel it? The weekend's just over the horizon, so it's time for On-Call, The Register's Friday column in which we share readers' tales of literally incredible jobs that produced improbable feats of sysadminnery. This week, meet “Ron” who told us he used to work for a government agency and sent us a story about how, on “ …

Gold badge

Re: Pft, amateurs

I know someone who changed one of their accounts to:

Username: password

Password: admin

Which is actually surprisingly hard to enter, as your hands just automatically try to type them in the other way round, whatever your brain tells them to do.

Re: Pft, amateurs

That is a brilliant idea!

Just try to set a password to VMware's Photon OS

I challange you to come up with a password accpeted by that OS without you needing to write it down.

Silver badge
Joke

My default password is "密码", if numbers are required it is "密码123"

Anonymous Coward

Ooh you are awful ! But I like you.

Bronze badge

So many memories

1) An employer had pretty much every Windows machine in one (literally globe-spanning) domain, with a password consisting of the company name and some numbers in an easily recognized sequence (because best practices require changing it periodically...) "network neighborhood" took several minutes to populate.

2) Another employer had a handy feature for any Windows user who occasionally had to log into the Unix systems. Complete with a drop-down menu of all the usernames, and no password needed (Because SSH is secure, right?). "Who do you want to be today?"

3) Offices with windows (The real sort)? Not me. At yet another employer, those went to the folks who made the concept drawings (literally, on paper) for presentations of upcoming products. On the ground floor, next to public parking, drawing boards facing out for the best natural light.

Silver badge

Ops

I've worked at several places where critical network passwords were a big deal. They came from secure generators, they were long, and they were not allowed to be stored in digital form. Only a select few people could ever touch one. Hours were spent changing them if there was the slightest suspicion of one being compromised.

That meant that you walked over to the desk of one of the select few, opened the top drawer, and grabbed the Post-It Notes. Threatening to read one aloud was all the power you needed.

Bit late i know

We normally get the users laptop passwords / bitlocker keys cellotaped to the laptop..

We then have to tell them not to do this and why but goes in one ear out the other

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017