back to article Unloved Microsoft Edge is much improved – but will anyone use it?

Microsoft held its Edge Web Summit on 13 September, announcing that the web browser now has “330 million active devices”, just over two years since its launch with Windows 10 in July 2015. The stat was explained as devices where someone actively uses Edge during the course of a month. Edge Web Summit: Microsoft Edge Web …

Silver badge

Re: Every time you visit Google with Edge, you see an ad for Chrome

"How do Goodle still get away with this? "

They haven't in the EU.

Unfortunately in the colonies, money is king and they just pay lots of politicians lots of money and the problem magically goes away.... See https://www.ft.com/content/6b637b56-53da-11e4-80db-00144feab7de

I just visited my local google. and was met with:

"Google recommends Chrome. Do you want to try it?"

in the corner.

And I am well and firmly inside the EU.

Silver badge

How do Goodle still get away with this?

What, advertising their own products, on their own web page, designed, hosted and paid for by them, that you're visiting, of your own choice, free of charge ? They'll be outraged in Tunbridge Wells, I'm certain.

There's plenty of stuff that Google do that they shouldn't get away with IMHO, but this strikes me as entirely reasonable. In the same way that they advertised Google+ for a couple of years, and 99% of the population chose to ignore it, with 1% choosing it for their own good reasons..

Silver badge

>>They haven't in the EU.

They have. I'm in the UK and every time I visit YouTube with Edge I get a little blue bar at the top of the screen telling me to install Chrome. Not just once, but on every screen load. Doesn't do it with Firefox (not that this would make it okay).

Anonymous Coward

You realise Google own YouTube right so if they wan't to advertise one of their other products on one of their product pages they damn well can yeah?

Silver badge

Re: You realise Google own YouTube

*gasp!* No! None of us knew that when we made our comments.

They can't "do what they damn well like". Not legally. It's called anti-trust or abuse of market dominance. It's what MS were penalized for by the EU when they tried to push IE over Netscape by leveraging their dominance with Windows. There are laws against it.

It's El Reg. so I suppose a car analogy is required. Suppose one chain of petrol stations had 80% of the stations in the country. And then they decided to produce a line of cars (or more realistically buy an existing manufacturer). They then started selling petrol cheaper for customers with their cars and more expensive for their rivals. Suddenly the choice of car no longer becomes about which is best or most cost-effective. It is distorted by the company's dominance in a different market. And that's a bad thing.

And nobody with a clue can argue that YouTube doesn't have market dominance.

Silver badge

It's an advert. Only an advert. Or do you think TV companies, like UK Gold, shouldn't tell you about their sister companies? Or Classic FM (Global) not be allowed to mention what is happening on their local pop channels, if they should want to?

Silver badge

>>It's an advert. Only an advert. Or do you think TV companies, like UK Gold, shouldn't tell you about their sister companies? Or Classic FM (Global) not be allowed to mention what is happening on their local pop channels, if they should want to?

Selective reading there: UK Gold is not in a monopolistic position with TV. At least I hope not!

Bronze badge

They won't come just cause you build it

All the problems with Edge arn't technical. One, Windows 10 only. They've instantly limited adoption right there. No one is going to switch to Windows 10 *just* to use Edge.

The bigger reason, IMO, is that it's a Microsoft browser. Microsoft basically did everything they could to destroy the internet with Internet Explorer. They specifically sought out to bankrupt Netscape with it through all sorts of underhanded means.

Recent history has shown that Microsoft hasn't learned a damned thing, and so I refuse to give them the opportunity to try again.

Silver badge

Re: They won't come just cause you build it

"The bigger reason, IMO, is that it's a Microsoft browser. Microsoft basically did everything they could to destroy the internet with Internet Explorer."

I don't think that's a reason at all. I'm pulling statistics out of my ass here, but the browser user base has multiplied many times since late 90s when MS killed Netscape, and "newcomers" are not aware of the history, nor do people even care about decades old stuff. If users were looking for a browser from an ethical company Chrome certainly wouldn't lead the pack!

Chrome is a solid, working choice that renders web pages very well. That's not the reason it is the most used browser - the reason is the (already mentioned) fly-by downloads at Java and Adobe product download pages, which are opt-out, and when the browser is installed it imports the IE settings quite seamlessly, and the less adept users won't even notice except that the browser launch icon has changed.

Edge can't gain popularity unless Windows 10 gains popularity since Win7/8 will never get it.

Edge was rather unfriendly to use back in 2015 when I tried it for a few days, and it got better when it got support for adblocking last year, but the UI just isn't as nice as my Firefox.

Lack of adblocking probably didn't matter too much since I constantly see business and home users using browsers with no adblocking at all, and they're not ever aware of such things.

Bronze badge

Re: They won't come just cause you build it

I have an installer for Netscape 9 as one of our clients had an ancient system that wouldnt work on anything modern, its a bit on the retro side, but its prety good.

Javascript ?

Javascript is only tolerable with an add-in like NoScript to disable it on all sites except a few that you trust - AdBlockPlus or equivalent is also a necessity.

Calibre is far better than Edge for handling EPUB files.

And who uses Bing as their first choice search engine?

My own opinion of Edge and IE 11 is so bad that I have used the Program Control feature of the Firewall built into Norton Security to block both of these products (and Cortana) from internet access.

Silver badge

Re: Javascript ?

RE: "And who uses Bing as their first choice search engine?"

I do. Why not? Because its Microsoft?

I feel more angst towards Google than I do towards Microsoft. I have never failed with Bing to find what I need. I never get to see Bing's fussy and fidgety front screen as I always do first search via Firefox's search box which goes straight to results. I haven't found a better alternative so far.

So...Why not? I'm not prepared to chop off my nose because...Micro$haft!

Silver badge

"And who uses Bing as their first choice search engine?"

it's far less irritating than Google for sponsored content. However if you were going to change it, DuckDuckGo is my preference, (which does include content from Bing).

Bronze badge

And who uses Bing as their first choice search engine?

Google?

When I first moved to Win 10, tried Edge but unusable. Continued to use a mix of IE and Chrome.

However Google's recent efforts to make Chrome use memory and be generally harder to configure made me try Edge again. Now I prefer it and use it as my default, with Chrome for some sites.

IE still needed for some things though....

It could be that the usage statistics will take time to catch up as Edge creeps into wider use. A lot of big companies are only just getting round to Win 10 roll out so that may have an impact.

Bronze badge

It's funny, the little things...

...are the things that make you like or hate a browser.

Some people above are devoted to their File, Edit, View... menu.

I personally use a combination of Firefox and Vivaldi at the moment. Vivaldi tends to win, because despite being a little clunky in areas (docking / undocking tabs being the main feature that comes to mind) having rapid right->left and left->right click on the mouse buttons triggering back and forwards is a brilliant piece of UI functionality, as my mouse is a simple one and does not have buttons for that built in like my last one.

On my mobile, it tends to be Chrome that wins out, because unlike the Firefox browser that I also have, it supports zooming to fit images on a double-tap, tap-swipe zoom for one-handed browsing, which firefox doesn't (yet - there is a ticket), and it is quicker to navigate through open tabs.

As a funtional browser, I actually prefer firefox though. Things like the ability to open web videos in the built in player on the phone instead of whatever html5 player is on the website, and by extension enable casting to my TV make it a much more useful browser, just not quite as tight on the UI.

Silver badge

Re: It's funny, the little things...

If you're on Windows you might want to check out StrokesPlus (www.strokesplus.com) - a rather good free mouse-gestures tool. Simply holding down the RMB and swiping left/right does a back/forward page navigation, for starters, and it's infinitely customizable. I can't be without it on any system. Similar apps exist for OSX and Linux, too.

Will Edge be able to save a web page? Last time I used it, it could not and MS help said to open the web page in IE and save it!

Silver badge

Again, not ideal, but you can install the "Save HTML in Edge" app from the Windows Store

Silver badge

My complaints with Edge

My complaints with Edge are twofold.

First, the user interface just feels wrong. It doesn't look like a proper browser with most important things hidden, such as scroll bars. I always hated how Chrome hides all the settings under one hamburger menu. There is a reason why the ribbon is a curse on my life, and it is because it does away with the easy-to-understand, easy-to-use, traditional "File Edit ..." menu structure, something Apple doesn't even get rid of in OS X. The UI is the primary reason why I prefer Firefox over Chrome. (A second reason is Firefox supports NoScript.)

Second, to get any add-ons you must use the Windows store. Hmm ... I wonder why that is. By having it in the Windows store -- just so you get used to using the Windows store and thus buy your "apps" from Microsoft instead of somewhere else -- they have once again made the browser part of the OS. A browser should be self-contained and require no reboot to update.

Silver badge

Edge Summit...

Is that what is more commonly referred to as a Plateau?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Edge Summit...

>Is that what is more commonly referred to as a Plateau ?

And plateaus are surrounded by cliffs.

My machine counts...

...because the Edge button is right next to my Outlook shortcut. Hit the wrong one at least once a month. I really need to remove that.

Edge is fine.

Really, it's fine. I use it as my default browser, on Windows 10, and keep Chrome for the things Chrome is good at (I use Google docs, for starters). However, I only see Edge taking off if Microsoft makes Windows 10 S work. Given the current state of the Microsoft App Store, I don't see that happening. Perhaps if they get the second (or is it third) coming or Windows on ARM to work out for them? Something like that (with cheap, decently performing tablets and notebooks), with a decent ecosystem, could work. Doesn't help Microsoft that the other two got there first. Now that's what I call disruption.

Edge only runs on Windows, right?

And just who uses Windows exclusively?

It's like building the world's greatest coffee machine which only runs on 400V three phase power.

All browsers suck

Too dumbed down not smart enough to know every hotkey.

Firefox is regressing. Adobe stuff breaks on it.

Chrome - just can't get use to it after Firefox with the menu bar. I miss google groups.

BTW when did the menu bar seem not necessary to developers?

So if Chrome and FF continue to regress I may go with Edge.

Silver badge

Re: All browsers suck

Firefox is regressing. Adobe stuff breaks on it.

Surely that's a good thing?

The sooner Adobe and their products disappear down the mineshaft filled with the remains of old tech companies the better. That'll be tough on photo-retouchers, but that's acceptable collateral damage in my book.

Excellent browser

The recent update disabled all extensions, which caused a micro-moment of confusion but is laudable; I only have one enabled and that is LastPass.

Still works way better than Chromplexity and the others are gash.

hardly finished...

Edge on current Windows 10 still cannot open a local html file...something I do every day with automatically generated html reports. Edge cannot "share" (i.e. send link) via Outlook email. Also something I do almost every day. So for me it is a non-starter.

Re: hardly finished...

Open local HTML file? I must be missing some context 'cos I do that everyday with Edge.

Edge just isn't compatible with corporate websites

Businesses often have their own web portals, tools, and intranets, and these sites are based on made different platforms. The problem is if a site is not using straight HTML code, Edge just can't handle it. Popup windows don't generate, boxes don't appear, rendering is off. THIS is the main reason I'm seeing my clients use Chrome or Firefox (or even Internet Explorer).

Accessible? Viable? No.

When the maker of my Screen Reader Environment (SRE) still warns its users not to use Edge because it isn't accessible & the store apps cause the SRE to shit itself, the browser doesn't count as a viable product.

They tell you to use any other 3rd party non-Windows-store program for the browser, mail, & other built in/store app covered functionality. Why? Because the store apps cause the SRE to shit itself.

They're not accessible, they're not viable, & Windows 10 is a clusterfuck nightmare for anyone whom gives a damn about their privacy.

Even *Apple* at this point is a better option than MS. I've decided to upgrade from Win7... right the hell off the MS treadmill & to the freedom of Linux. It's got lots of potholes & pitfalls I'm learning to navigate, but that's still less of a pain in the ass than the shit Win10 would demand.

Fuck Microsoft. Go Linux!

aqk
Happy

Re: Accessible? Viable? No.

Have you told your boss yet about your "go-it alone" decision?

Oh wait! I forgot- you're self-employed.

But have you told the wife yet?

Anonymous Coward

The untrusted site sandboxing

SHOULD BE STANDARD !

</Rant>

Too much does not work - so why bother

Far far too much does not work - esp. Internal company intranet stuff - so why bother.

The world has moved on to Chrome and Firefox (through diminishhing in significance), and Safari on IOS mobile and Mac. For Internal Comany stuff - assuming it has not already broken Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 is becoming the new corporate desktop standard (after Windows 7 and IE10) for legacy stuff, and Chrone for Google G-Suite and the numerous othher companies plugged into this ecosystem.

Anonymous Coward

Even 365 portal hates Edge

As I support many Windows users, I took it upon myself to always use Edge for certain things such as the Microsoft 365 portal. Surely, if any site should work, it would be one of Microsoft's own, relatively up-to-date sites?

Must be a masochist. Endless pages that fail to display anything but the header, frequent occasions on which Edge freezes completely (all windows, including in private, totally locked solid). Huge memory usage - currently over 2 GB sometimes much more.

Use Firefox for almost everything else (switching to IE a few times a week for a specific page/site or to try out what people are having problems with).

Unreliable

Not when it keeps crashing on me before it's even done anything. I blamed the Creators Update, but applied the recommended fix*, which worked. For a day. But now it's broken again. Unbothered, only use it for compatibility testing.

* As advised by a web search I'd have been unable to carry out had I been using Windows S, essentially locked to using Edge!

Happy

No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_law_of_headlines

Anonymous Coward

eeeewww

As a result of reading this article, I fired-up my copy of Edge to give it a go. You know ... just to see if it was all true and the thing is actually now good.

Nope.

It was awful to use.

The scrolling was juddery.

Tabs came & went of their own accord.

Sometimes things worked on a single click, sometimes the same operation took two.

It's basically flaky as hell.

No, it is not worth another look.

Anonymous Coward

Favourites

It doesn't seem to add favourites from other browsers. Chrome gives you the lot, Edge only seems to add some. Unless I am looking in the wrong place? If so it should be more obvious.

Edge is shite

Just the other day, after my forced Win10 update. I noticed that files recovered from a previous system would no longer display in thumbnail or indeed even open for me. The error message stated that i did not have the correct permissions required to open (my own) files? Funny i thought, i had better do a little research to see what all this is about.

Anyway it turns out that even if you are an administrator on Win10, you are'nt.

You have to fiddle in the settings to make your user account an actual 'true' admin, at which point the Edge browser and a few other things refuse to work as they are tied to the lesser 'user admin' account that you start off with.

Not that it bothered me too much. I am forced to use Edge in work and it is a nightmare, never before have i witnessed such a ropey, unstable bag of excrement. The ads are even cooked into the browser, requiring a reg hack to disable.

Terrible browser from an even worse company, why the hell would they tie the browser access to the user account??

This post has been deleted by its author

Maybe its time to retire...

...I seem out of step most of the time. I use Edge all day everyday, I like it.

It can be a resource hog if I have too many tabs open, but less so than Chrome.

It was annoying when lots of things weren't available, and I had to switch browser for BlueJeans, FB Messenger etc, but AFAICS its all working now.

Silver badge

Microsoft Browser

They can't even get it to run on all of their own operating systems, let alone the popular ones like Android and iOS. Total cross platform fail for an app developer, particularly for a freaking browser.

And of course like the rest of their stuff, total kludge.

aqk
Big Brother

Goodness! You still use Google?

"Every time you visit Google with Edge, you see an ad for Chrome."..

One of the reasons I no longer google.

I usually search with Duckduckgo, and yes, sometimes even Bing! I hear it's a favourite of TheReg users! ;-)

aqk
Windows

Goodness! So many Win-10 users here!

Or are you all using Edge on your trusty Win-7 system? Or perhaps XP?

I know! You've ported Edge to Linux, right?

Just 2 or 3 years ago, I remarked in various threads here that Win-10 was a great OS, and would only get better, WOW! I got a whole shitload (Hundreds?) of down-votes from all the users that said they would ABSOLUTELY NEVER use it!

"You'll have to PRY XP out of my cold dead hands!"

"Win-10 SUX! In two years time, we will have all upgraded to LINUX!"

Am I in some sort of alternate universe here?

- OK, before you leave this message, don't forget to click the Downvote button at the bottom.

No

For the work environment it's a straight 'no'. None of our work-related apps run on it, we already have heavy investment in Adobe so why would we want every bloody PDF to open in Edge and not the bespoke application available for free already installed on every machine as standard? It breaks most of the sites we use and is simply not compatible with IE-specific applications. Chrome works with nearly all of the sites and plugins we use (we only have one website that won't work with it for one small department) and I'm currently moving most of the business onto it to free us of IE as much as possible, but the deal-breaker for me is the fact that every time Windows does a major update it resets the damned default browser to Edge, and they've even started putting an 'open in Edge' tab right NEXT to the new tab option in IE so staff keep pressing it by mistake and then wondering why nothing works! It is so arrogant, annoying and downright time wasting in support calls for people who need their defaults constantly resetting it absolutely makes me anti-Edge, no matter how bloody good they make it.

Bronze badge

On TP

Well, yes, I do have Edge set as default on my clunker laptop I use for running MSWin10 Tech Preview. Not that I do much *real* work on that machine, I just keep it for testing out new releases and preparing myself for what dumbass shit friends/family are going to have to deal with on the next MSW10 "update".

Anonymous Coward

Edge is the polished turd that was Internet Explorer

Same proprietary crap, same engine beneath the hood.

It's also a major rebranding exercise, because 'Internet Explorer' is 100% associated with the worst traits of Microsoft. So they needed a 'reset', a 'fresh start'.

The only use for Edge/IE is to download a better browser on a fresh install of Windows. That's all.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017