back to article Blighty’s beloved Big Ben bell ends, may break Brexit bargain

Big Ben, the bell in the iconic clock tower on the north end of the Palace of Westminster, will fall silent for four years – and as a result the UK may not leave the European Union until 2021, if a government statement is to be trusted. The famous bongs, known around the world as an auditory symbol of Britain in general and …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And yet....

the uptime will still be better than some cloud services.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Slow news day?

For The Express at least has given us all a laugh. Nice set of puns (from both sides of the the referendum argument).

3. TRT Silver badge

Repairing the damage...

from when that Slitheen space ship clipped it during a crash landing.

4. AceRimmer1980
    IT Angle

Well at least they can put The Internet somewhere else, it's wireless.

5. Haku

We've got modern technology now, how about an official bong app?

One in which the loudness is directly proportional to the proximity of the real bell.

Although, once the real bell starts working again, everyone's bell ends.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: We've got modern technology now, how about an official bong app?

> official bong app

It already has its own twitter account, that tweets BONG

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Isn't there a bell end that keeps tweeting already?

2. Charles 9

It still has an official radio station: Radio 4. It'll just play recordings on cue until renovation is complete.

2. Citizen99

Did the team at El Reg have a sweepstake on how many reactions there would be to this theme ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a lot of people know this but the reason the bell end is larger than the shaft is so you don't smack yourself in the forehead.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They've said that the bells willbe re-enabled for "significant" events with midnight at New year and 11am on Nov 11 being given as examples .... I'm sure they'll extend this for the EU exit celebrations

1. Uffish

EU exit celebrations (with bongs).

I thought the brexiteers were on something much stronger, but perhaps it is all due to their genetics.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I seem to remember Professor Balthazar fixing Big Ben in a jiffy?

How hard can it be?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: I seem to remember Professor Balthazar fixing Big Ben in a jiffy?

Parker managed to pick the lock of the Bank of England's vault with one of Lady Penelope's hatpins. So anything is possible...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I seem to remember Professor Balthazar fixing Big Ben in a jiffy?

Did he use myrrh?

9. TRT Silver badge

Ah...

I can hear the chimes now. I'll miss that.

10. Frogfather

Another breakdown

It was also stopped for a year around 1975 when a brake failed on the striking train causing the mechanism to disintegrate fairly violently.

11. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

There was an excellent article in the Grauniad's "Long Read" section a few months ago, which detailed the meticulous planning that goes into events for when the Queen (Gawd bless her) kicks the gilt-edged bucket. Big Ben plays a significant part in that. Given her advanced years and the lengthy timeframe for the repairs at Westminster, I can foresee the bell being unsilenced at some point to cope with the "London Bridge Is Down" scenario

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Downing Street this afternoon confirmed the 24-month deadline for reaching a Brexit deal will expire 'when Big Ben bongs midnight' on the night of March 29-30, 2019."

The Express then went on to say that Diana was killed just before she could announce a miracle cure for Alzheimers in time for that year's SIBERIAN BLAST BRINGS HAVOC TO ENGLAND!

1. harmjschoonhoven

No, no, no!

Re: "Downing Street this afternoon confirmed the 24-month deadline for reaching a Brexit deal will expire 'when Big Ben bongs midnight' on the night of March 29-30, 2019."

This must be surely be midnight Paris (Brussels?) time. Still time enough to negotiate about that ....

13. MJI Silver badge
    Flame

talk about a fall

Many years ago Express was half decent, actually readable, then it got Desmonded.

Now it is a xenophobic, racist, hate rag which is not even soft enough for bottom usage.

It is no the Internet killing newspapers, it is turning them into hate rags like the Express.

Best to use for lighting your fire.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Four years of maintenance?

They could probably demo the tower and rebuild it from scratch in that time!

15. B83
    Coat

market-leading coverage of all Princess Diana-related issues

Will Phil Collins be breaking his silence over this?

A reference no-one outside the UK will get and I doubt anyone in the UK will get it either.

Marc and Lard had a laugh over it

(On reflection the story could have come from the Daily Mail)

16. Les Matthew

Bell ends

Would that be the ones in the nearby Houses of Parliament?

17. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

The Bells!

I recall an incident some years past, in which Mrs Marmite and I were looking round Hallgrimmskirkja (Big and very impressive church in the outskirts of Reykjavik, Iceland). We had ventured up the tower and were admiring the view from just under the bells. Our timing was a little bit off (or perfect - depends on one's point of view), as we had arrived on the floor just as time was approaching the top of the hour.

Now, Mrs Marmite is a seasoned bellringer but it still frit the shit out of her when the bloody big bell above her head gave its first godalmighty bong. A most impressive reaction ensued, in which both feet left the ground together

One got a severe arsekicking for laughing one's head off.

As a sidenote: Hallgrimmskirkja is a perfect example of how great a concrete building CAN look, as much as Coventry Cathedral isn't. The organ is pretty impressive too - looks like something off Star Wars. Must go again sometime

18. Slx

I'm surprised they haven't blamed a completely fictitious EU directive demanding the bongs be standardised to metric Eurobongs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is a point actually, does El Reg have a standard measure of sound?

19. JohnMurray

Talking about bell-ends...

I note The Daily Bell End (mail) is leading with a "Health and Safety gone mad" headline...

They want to take us back to empire days..deaf at 20 and with tinnitus...

1. MJI Silver badge

Another one

Mail has always seemed a bit bonkers.

I would love a paper which was fun to read but printed the truth and was reasonably politically independant.

1. Swarthy
        Thumb Up

Re: Another one

Much akin to the one we're all reading?

20. Mike Moyle

"The Victorian clock is maintained by a dedicated keeper."

157 years? I should say that he is!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon