back to article New iPhone details leak: Yes, Apple is still chasing Samsung

Eagle-eyed code-jockeys have dug out some intriguing details about the new Apple iPhone – most notably that the company is still desperately chasing Samsung. Developers digging into a firmware upgrade of Apple's new HomePod discovered chunks of code that appeared to have nothing to do with the digital assistant. In particular …

Bronze badge
Joke

Re: "even Microsoft has device unlock using your face in Windows 10."

"Banging your head against the screen is not the same thing."

Well, it did help crack open unlock the device, right?

Anonymous Coward

Can have the hardware but without good software, doesnt work very well

If you look at Apple devices they tend to have lower spec hardware than some more "powerful" Android phones yet they still actually perform better.

This is mainly down to the optimisation of software and hardware which really only Apple can do as they control all elements of the phone. With other platforms this cannot be done as well.

Apple might not be first but they tend to actually make a feature usable and that it works.

I'll reserve my full judgement on any product when it is actually released and not on speculation.

Silver badge
Coat

Farcical recognition...

It won't work unless you put on a clown costume first.

Silver badge
Boffin

Not "devoted" followers

They are generally gullible and uninformed.

"But my iThing just works!"

So does a Nokia 3310

"It does GPS"

So did my work Blackberry Bold.

"It's really easy to use"

Not as easy as a Nexus 5

and so on...

Originality has never been Apples thing. That's not a bad thing. Good ideas should be used. Just stop lying about it.

Frankly this post is a pile of crap.

"most notably that the company is still desperately chasing Samsung."

Yeah... By offering a far far far superior mobile OS and features that actually work and are not crippled by operators malware / manufacturers (poorly coded and even worse designed) ideas of "enhanced user experience and market differentiator".

I get it, piling shit on Apple is fashionable, but it's both foolish and rather ignorant. I would LOVE to see Android based devices approaching a tenth of software and ecosystem maturity, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kids will like cheap plastic toys. For some of us things that actually work are important.

Silver badge

Can hardly wait for BBC Rory CJ to get on the wagon

By the time he has regurgitated the Apple press release, licked their collective bottoms and added to its claims I reckon the phone will save a life every nanosecond and the government should force everyone to buy 2 (just in case they drop the first from shock, awe and total amazement)

Facepalm

"Apple continues to play catch-up..."

Yes. Fine. Other manufacturers can put features in first, but that doesn't mean it's the best at doing that feature. Samsung's implementation of most new features suck first time round and take a second attempt (after Apple's first attempt) to get it right. Why do you think Apple like to wait a little bit? And why do you see the painful Samsung ads painting a picture of their G8 phone doing unrealistic things with the phone? Because they like to paint a euphoric picture of themselves, with their users and using their products in a ridiculous way.

That's a terrible bit of journalism El Reg. Come on. I'm in a mood to rant.

And I thought I'd try pushing the title of this post to the max. Could only leave in a part of the ridiculous sentence. Boo.

Joke

iPhones are cancer - but don't worry, I have this weird nut diet cure!

Bronze badge

You must be joking

Samsung the ultimate purveyor in substandard copyware, and you accuse Apple of chasing Samsung? And this is just a rumour of a leak! Let's be clear - Samsung make stuff that looks cool when one walks into a shop and examines it for 30 seconds, but does not bear up under any scrutiny. Let's also be clear that Samsung contributes absolutely nothing to this industry and yet Reg talks them up and Apple down. Read my guide as to why this model is bound to failure:

http://ianjoyner.name/Open_Source.html

Fanboy? No, just practical.

I don't like malware. I don't like phones that suffer common defects that go unaddressed like the receive text phone reset bug on 7 Edge, the your note 7 catches fire for no reason bug, or the loose camera clang of death noise. Yeah, there are some places Apple will not follow SamSung. They will proudly let Samsung's overly hyper development schedule proudly be the first to engineer such flaws into their phones. Not to be repeated by Cupertino.

And shall we really speak of corporate misbehavior? Apple's record despite unfounded accusations of declining conditions in iPad factories (the opposite is true), speaks well for itself as a company that operates under ethical guidance, but look at all the articles about Samsung having bribed the President of South Korea and several top Samsung officials being indicted for bribing officials. What about the hundreds of people Samsung employs to do nothing but troll the Internet and post bogus replies about competitor's products to down their reputation and boost that of Samsung? Yeah there's actually a lot of things Apple will never copy from Samsung.. and thank God for that! I trust that my money employs a lot of locals in my state when I offer it up to Apple for their latest and greatest. And my conscience doesn't have to worry about profiting a company that works by strong arm thug tactics like the ilk of Samsung. look them up. They're really not very nice people. They are criminals.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018