back to article Microsoft totters from time machine clutching Windows 10 Workstation

It looks like the 1990s are back in fashion: Microsoft is, it seems, preparing another flavor of Windows 10 – the tentatively named Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. We can't help but be reminded of the Windows NT Workstation era in the early 1990s – the branding Microsoft used to distance Windows for beefy work PCs from …

Page:

1. HmmmYes

There needs to be a 'Go to' company for business. IBM used to be it. MS *could* get that business - but it needs to sort itself out.

By design, Windows is modular. In reality, there's no kernel space third party file systems. Ditto for TCP/IP stacks and the like. MS put up barriers/hide API/dont make the code modular.

For any core component - network, filesystem - then its either supplied by MS or not at all.

There is nothing close to ZFS in any of WS file systems, not close.

PowerShell is nightmare. It offers a lot of functionality but ....

its slow, making it hard to use as a command shell.

We are at coming up to version 6 in less than 10 years. Each version are some features added. I get a script. works on one version. Need to run it on an older server, fails. So do I maintain several versions of a script, or do I update Powerhsell? OK, go for updatign Powerhsell - oh, its comes bundled with 500M of .Net. Fuckit.

Let me know when its finished and I can use it for interactive shelling without having to wait several seconds.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You would have little benefits from ZFS on a workstation. It requires at least four disks for Z2, and a lot of RAM to work (well, with 6TB maybe you have some for it too). Running ZFS on a couple of SSD disks doesn't give you any real benefit. Your data will be backed up on another system (if you're not a fool).

ZFS is an excellent storage file system for file servers and other uses.

Windows has already excellent debugging tools - you don't really need DTrace (which would very hard to port given the big differences), learn to use WinDbg, for example, instead.

Also, most Windows IDEs have great debuggers with remote debugging capabilities, far less need to mess with command line debuggers.

PS: install a spell checker in your browser.... it's not difficult.

1. HmmmYes

If you are comparing dtrace to Windbg or an IDE then you've not really used Dtrace.

You dont need a debug build. You can do onto a production system and start debugging the whole system - kernel, system libraries and application.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I routinely use DTrace on Linux. Just, I don't miss it on Windows.

Of course, you never really used WinDbg. and other tools You don't need a debug build either, and you can debug a production system.

A checked (debug) build of Windows is compiled to ease debugging. For example, it has full stack frames, and many debugging compiler switch activated and optimizations disabled.

You don't need it - it just make debugging easier, catching more errors itself and raising assertions, and easing to pinpoint nasty things which may be due to optimizations or the like. Checked builds are useful especially when writing drivers - they will identify more issues earlier - even when you're not using a debugger.

If you expect the same toolset on Windows, and refuse to learn what are the right tools just because they're different, well, it's your applications that will have lower quality - but don't blame Windows for that.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Ah, that brings back memories ...

of installing NT 4.0 on the home computer so the missus couldn't throw away all those little files that cluttered the home directory of the Win 3.1 system she managed to prang thoroughly by removing things like config.sys, autoexec.bat, etc. Oh well, live and learn. Luckily I was (and am still) pretty obsessive (or paranoid) when it comes to making back-ups, and recovery disks, so I got it sorted pretty quickly. I didn't want to foist Linux on her, so got NT 4 instead (and installed Linux for my own use as well). I must say NT 4 (and later Win 2000) worked much better than the '95, '98, and ME (shudder) alternatives at the time

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Windows

Let me guess...

"For Workstations" = "can run stuff not in the Windows store"

"For Advanced PCs" = "won't bomb out with a licence restriction if the PC has more than 2 cores or 8GB of memory"

everyone else = "guess what - Windows store only now, hahaha"

3. PNGuinn
    Mushroom

Microsoft hasn't quite decided on the final name for those last two:

Windows Nein v3.1.

Windows Nein v3.11 for workgroups.

Hey, ms the consultancy fee of £5 for the names is in the post.

2 for 1 offer this week only.

ps A couple of buckets of krill for my singing whale would be appreciated. You can stuff the josticks (sideways).

use this to light 'em >>

4. Neil 44
    Facepalm

AMD Operton?

Just out of curiosity, what's an AMD Operton ???

Did you mean AMD Opteron?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Ten Future?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only difference will be the price

Oh, and the license key.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Err...

Anyone remember when El Reg had credible journalists, instead of copying stuff from Windows Central?

8. Primus Secundus Tertius

Micro megajargon

What do you mean, Microjunk Windoze?

Let me offer you Makrotuff Slipperyware.

9. nilfs2
    Windows

They will keep doing as they please...

...because one fuck up after another, sheep keep following them and buying their crap. If you buy Microsoft products and then complain that they suck, it is your fault, you have no right to complain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They will keep doing as they please...

Weird thing is, on this forum, most people who complain Microsoft products suck, haven't actually bought (I mean genuinely paid for with their own money) a microsoft product in years...

10. viscount

No idea on the product, but the "Workstation" brand sounds like a genuinely good idea and will bring back some fond memories of NT for the old timers.

11. ecofeco Silver badge

When your punters will buy anything..

.. .you sell them everything you can.

What's not logical about fleecing well heeled morons?

12. Luiz Abdala
    Windows

And up to this day...

I can´t move the boot volume from one hard drive to the next without 3rd party products on my home Win10... not without formatting the whole thing... or buying a new license. (I want help for that, btw.)

Or have something like I heard from ZFS, where you just add the drives to a volume and the thing sorts itself out, adding speed and safety in its internal form of RAID array... not dealing with motherboard drives, BIOS, controller cards, whatever, the new drive just have to be present in the system...

13. IGnatius T Foobar

Windows Desktop 2016

Server 2016 seems to make a quite nice workstation. It looks exactly like Windows 10 but it doesn't have that saucy tart Cortana always in your face.

14. pmartin66

I just love Windows 10. Sure, I had to google a few things. Once set up, it is super fast and reliable as hell. It can even recover from hard restarts or whatever. You crybabies suck so hard at learning anything new. UNIX is OLD!! You want to live with it, fine, but don't be a whiny arse about it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But does it run shitty Chinese malware? I'm not interested if it doesn't. I like my Windows to be Windows - flakey, easy to hack and dysfunctional UI. Please say it won't change. Please.

16. Unicornpiss
    Meh

But..

..will it blend?

17. athame

Performance & Lies

win 95/win 98/winNT/milennium/win2000/vista/xp/win 7/win 8/win 8.1/win 10/ win ad infinitum .........

"It IS faster!"

Gates

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like