back to article DeX Station: Samsung's Windows-killer is ready for prime time

Well, no one saw this one coming. Samsung has succeeded where Microsoft and HP have struggled (so far) in turning a phone into a PC. When Samsung unveiled the Galaxy S8 last month, its new multimode capability DeX (for "desktop experience") barely got a mention. With a new dock, the DeX Station, the Galaxy could plug into a …

Silver badge

The serious CAD vendors are looking at browser-accessed cloud systems. The ability for several engineers to work on the same documents is of more use to bigger firms than it is to the amateurs and hobbyists, as indeed are the security advantages and document control. Serious CAD was largely mainframe-based until the very late nineties so the above conventions are familiar, and what CAD applications that were on the desktop then were dismissed as being toys.

There will of course be situations where CAD will be essential in areas of no internet, but for the large part engineers will get online - Bob can't design part B until Alex has finalised part A, so Alex has better connect to the company network as he is paid to.

Anonymous Coward

Being able to work on the same data has nothing to do with the cloud, it' just a matter of application design, networks have been available far earlier than the cloud. Also CAD means often very sensitive IP, many companies would like to know where data are stored....

CAD was not mainframe based, it was Unix workstation based.

Silver badge

Reminds me a little bit of ASUS's (apparently now dead) "PadFone". A smartphone with a fondleslab "skin". Some models also had a snap-on keyboard.

The idea seemed good enough but at the time it cost almost as much as just buying a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 10, which, unlike the PadFone and its tablet dock, can be used independently and concurrently.

Silver badge

I liked this idea when Motorola brought out the Atrix phone in about 2011, surprised the idea hadn't been resurrected sooner.

Still think the dock is a little expensive though for what is essentially just an USB OTG adapter with HDMI and ethernet interfaces. I am sure that these cost no more than about $20 to actually manufacturer. The specifications for this have been around for years with MHL - which Samsung used to support on their devices but now hardly any phones support.

There is a list of which new phones do support MHL here although its a few month ago now so before the S8 was released.

https://www.computersdealstore.com/list-of-all-2016-2017-phones-supporting-mhl-or-hdmi-output/

The only difference is that the S8 looks to give you a different desktop interface rather than the standard Android and perhaps this is easy to use with a keyboard and mouse than standard Android which is a little clunky when not using it with a touch screen.

Personally i would want a laptop style dock though -like the Atrix had - so i can sit on the sofa and work rather than a desk based dock

Silver badge

I'd like all tablets to have the ability to be used as dumb monitors. Would be cute to extend a laptop's desktop onto a tablet.

I have an app on my iPad which does just that.

It's called Duet display.

They should give these things away as promo or charge a fiver.

I have a Samsung Note 3 with a Samsung media device - about the size of a packet of cigs - that does pretty much this. I use it to plug in to 23 inch screens at a few of the places I regularly travel to. Power come from the same charger plug as the phone. So the marginal extra baggage is the packet of cigs device. I don't recommend taking a 23 inch screen on Ryanair.

It works OK for web browsing, light spreadsheet/word processing email.

But Samsung charged about 60 quid for it. Microsoft made the same mistake in my view about Continuum - they should just give the things away as it is hardly expensive to make. Instead I imagine someone thinks they can make a great margin by charging a hundred quid for a fivers worth of plastic and connectors. The result is low take up.

Silver badge

Re: They should give these things away as promo or charge a fiver.

Sounds like you have a Miracast receiver. I have one of those, too, and have used it once in a while. Not perfect, but I keep it to leave my options open. It's nice that all my Samsung devices (S4, S5, Note 4) can use it. Bought mine used, so it only set me back $20.

I've been waiting patiently for the day...

The day my smart phone can replace my wallet, watch & keys. And become the only device I will ever need by transforming into a powerful computer. OK, admittedly we are still a few years off using our phone as a replacement debit/credit card, and very few homes and cars offer an app to replace your keys(yet), also for now the computer is not going to be as powerful or as well supported as a full-blown intel machine. But all the parts are here! I do hope other mobile manufacturers follow suit and eventually my (sad) sci-fi dream will become a reality.

Although I cannot see Apple playing nicely, they already try to convince consumers they somehow need an expensive matching watch to go with their watch replacement smartphone therefore, an iPhone/iPad/MacBook product seems unlikely. It would also make very little business sense for them to do this.

Why develop and sell only one truly revolutionary and life changing device when you can sell multiple devices or "parts" and then try to convince consumers they need all these devices to be truly happy. Throw in a much-hyped annual refresh for most of these “parts” ensuring all the current products are now ‘so last year’ and bingo! – the Apple business model. I am being slightly unfair as other tech companies are doing this too it is not just Apple. Hell, console makers have been doing this for years! (just every three years or so instead of an annual refresh).

I fear greed and profit margins may be standing in the way of true advancements. I may be wrong, plus, as I mentioned earlier; we are still few years away from my dream.

All the parts are now here, just need a little refinement and a company brave enough to follow Samsung’s lead here and the next revolution of the smartphone/device will have started.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018