back to article We are 'heroes,' says police chief whose force frisked a photographer

The chief constable of Sussex Police has labelled his staff “everyday heroes” for using the UK's Terrorism Act to stop and search a photographer taking pictures of Hove Town Hall. Professional snapper Eddie Mitchell was detained for an hour by police in the south coast town on Thursday (May 4). A police employee who was not a …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple, demand to see a warrant card if they are PCSO and the advise that they only have 'citizens arrest' powers (look it up). Then demand that they call a REAL Police Officer or you will complain re assualt / false arrest.

1. analyzer
      Trollface

re: AC

Simple, demand to see a warrant card

This is the one thing that still distinguishes common scum and a beloved Police Officer.

Common scum are not required to carry verifiable I.D. and as a result are not required to produce it upon request, unlike our venerated Police Officers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Every single one of these events happens because the photographer is a dick when approached by a copper. Fuck them. Answer the question, it takes a minute to say you are a professional photographer, here's my card and feel free to look at my photos.

Tldr; don't be a dick or get a kicking

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Bollocks.

The police should know better than to ask the question - the police should know the law.

I am a photographer. I am not a professional photographer and neither am I a journalist, but nonetheless I have exactly the same rights as any other person in a public place. If the police are not trying to arrest me, or in hot pursuit, I don't even have to say hello to them - though politeness dictates I probably would.

But there is exactly *no* reason why I should *ever* be required not to be a dick to avoid a kicking. My avoidance of dickness is for my own self respect, not because the police would give me said kicking.

tl;dr: stand on your rights and make sure *your* public servants observe them

p.s. want to see my images, officer? Certainly, they're be ready when I develop them. And no, you may not withdraw the dark slide.

2. Kiwi
      FAIL

Every single one of these events happens because the photographer is a dick when approached by a copper.

Total FAIL. The person who was at fault was the member of the public who was trying to pretend that she was a "copper". She wasn't, and had no authority.

Care to try again?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Total FAIL. "

It's a real shame it took him two days to find the story and make such a ridiculous comment. If only he'd been the first commenter, he might have been in the running for the all time highest number of down votes.

3. DavCrav

"Every single one of these events happens because the photographer is a dick when approached by a copper. Fuck them. Answer the question, it takes a minute to say you are a professional photographer, here's my card and feel free to look at my photos."

This person wasn't a cop. So, what's your excuse now?

4. Maty

Umm... I can see why you chose 'anonymous coward' to post that comment.

Make that 'anonymous coward with poor reading skills' as the photographer was not 'approached by a copper'. In this event, the photographer was approached by a member of the public who seemd to think she was a copper.

You wouldn't be of that persuasion yourself perhaps?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sussex police are heavy handed lazy twats

Lived in Brighton for a long time.

When my house was broken into while i was in it... they couldn't be bothered to attend rather drawing out the call until i chased the intruder away. Then they asked me to come to the station to report the crime.

My mate had 7 police smash his door down on a Sunday afternoon while he was out and just left it unsecured until he returned the next day. Also on a mistaken charge.

As for the police knowing the law... I was busted with some weed at the time there was some changes in the law about weed. I asked the policeman what the law was... his reply "All you need to know sunshine is that you're in trouble".

No surprise the boss is happy with them, this is exactly the attitude the whole force cultivates.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was once accosted by someone in plain clothes in the West End who identified themselves verbally as a police officer. They asked me if I was sober and to explain what I had been doing that night and I refused. He seemed surprised by this and as his partner turned up I explained that I wasn't going to do so to without him showing some ID. His partner instantly produced a warrant card apologised that I hadn't been shown one before.

I had no problems then explaining that I was stone cold sober. I'd been working until 8pm been out for a bite to eat and was now heading home. Apparently they were looking for a bloke who was wearing a similar coat and trousers to mine who had been harassing members of the public for money. He was supposedly drunk and smelled awful to which I said I'd had a shower before leaving work. I said I hadn't seen anyone like that and was I needed further? Plod said no because they'd just spotted him across the road. He was wearing exactly the same jacket as me and was obviously hammered.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"His partner instantly produced a warrant card apologised that I hadn't been shown one before."

That's why they send them out in pairs. Good cop, bad cop. (Or one can read, the other can write)

5. Bernard M. Orwell
    Trollface

Time for an experiment.

I'm going to head into town and take some pictures. Some of churches. Some of mosques. Some of police and police stations.

Wonder how it'll go? I'll report back, if I can.

1. Bernard M. Orwell

Re: Time for an experiment.

So, I went off to photograph some things around town. Churches, a mosque, city council, police station, and I got stopped by an officer of the law!

....who wanted to know what kind of camera I used and we had a lovely chat about lenses.

Yep, no issues at all. :)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like