back to article Microsoft nicks one more Apple idea: An ad-supported OS

Microsoft's Department of Annoying The Users has been quiet since the end of the GWX scheme. The Department's Greatest Hit so far has been the "Get Windows 10" promotion, which involved a pervasive popup reminding Windows 8 and 7 users to upgrade. This co-opted a number of sophisticated malware techniques to get the message …

Silver badge

Re: I had a bit of a search...

Ah, but Timmy, one only has to jump through those hoops once with Linux (and the list isn't really all that long). With Redmond, you're stuck with many other hoops for life.

Choose wisely; you're only on this dampish rock for a finite amount of time.

Anonymous Coward

Just once: until PulseAudio decides that the USB mic you used yesterday doesn't exist and makes the HDMI interface in your video card the default sound device. Linux may not have ads, but it is still very competitive with Windows when it comes to the makings of a bad day.

Yes, it has some annoying quirks with sound like that. My favourite (given that it's my son's PC affected and not mine) is where his favoured USB audio device sometimes presents itself as stereo speakers, sometimes as mono microphone and sometimes as both. I've told him to bring up the config page and repeatedly unplug and plug it back in until it does what he wants. I suspect there's a weak point in the Linux USB stack for dealing with combo devices.

Silver badge
Windows

It's almost like...

MS hates it's users. It doesn't want to sell OSes anymore.

Silver badge

Registry

For those that like to mess with the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

DWORD:ShowSyncProviderNotifications, set value to 0

Of course in classic Microsoft ass-hattery, and as noted in the article, this will also disable important sync provider messages. Scumbags.

I have had enough of W10, previously I have got on okay with it but in the last 2 days the experience has shown me its no good.

Been running W10 on a laptop happily for 3 months, then it auto installs the CU for 1607 which kills the USB! No way to rollback, no way to fix.

MS answer: “Just reinstall it”

My answer: “How about I fuk W10 off and just use Windows 7 while I learn Linux?”

Anonymous Coward

What kind of idiot?

So you pay good money for a bad OS and then, instead of letting you do what you want to do, it interrupts you with ads. I could understand this if they were giving away the OS (although I'd probably choose not to use it rather than suffer the ads). I might even use the thing and suffer the ads if they were PAYING me to use it. But what kind of idiot would pay money to endure somebody else's advertising?

Hmmmmm. *Looks out of window*. Oh, most people are wearing clothing THAT THEY PAID FOR and the clothing is advertising something. So, there are plenty of idiots who are stupid enough to pay Microsoft money in order to watch adverts, because there are plenty of idiots who are stupid enough to pay EXTRA to advertise somebody's product when the advertiser should be paying them to wear it.

I've just had a thought. Tattoovertising. Why pay money for twuntish tattoos when you can spend twice the amount to have a tattoo that advertises something? I'd get paid by the advertiser and the punter. I'd need a really good name for the tattoo parlour. How about "Twattoos"?

Anonymous Coward

Ads vs spam... there's a difference

I remember when Microsoft rebranded Hotmail to Outlook, and all I saw henceforth were ads featuring other Microsoft products and services.

I surmised that Microsoft was filthy rich enough to not need additional ad revenue from external sources, and there's no better promotion than self-promotion to a captive audience.

We saw that come into fruition with the 'Get Windows 10 now!!!' spam. Once upon a time people would install Lavasoft AdAware or Malwarebytes to deal with that kind of 'promotion'.

Facepalm

You guys are full of it !

If you want to use WIndows 10, what's the big deal?

1. Use a local account - eliminate 80% of the annoyances right there.

2. Go to privacy settings and untick everything - 10% more

3. Use a hosts file or adblock - 7% more.

4. Customize a bit - you do that anyway - organize the Start menu how you want it etc.

Right there and you already have a mostly decent system. Or just use 8.1 with a Start menu package. The hysteria is too much. You all are quite adept and can fix any of these systems to how you want them, so what is the big deal? On day One of the clean install you should have it already all how you want it (as far as one can), it's not like you are clueless.

Silver badge

Re: You guys are full of it !

Until Redmond turns it all on again (and adds more) in the next update.

Who is full of it, again?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018